Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

irlpic wrote: »
    :mad:Snowing here in Donegal:mad:

snowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

too cloudy what about the comet itself

anybody know of link that'll show us the path of the comet and how the earth interacts with the tail

too cloudy what about the comet itself

anybody know of link that'll show us the path of the comet and how the earth interacts with the tail

The parent comet of the Perseids is Swift Tuttle, here's a magnified picture of its orbit, showing Earth's orbit too:

swift_tuttle_path_020806_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'm hearing seriously conflicting information on when to view these showers. When's the best time for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I'm hearing seriously conflicting information on when to view these showers. When's the best time for Ireland?

The only showers we will be seeing will be of the rain variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Just noticed google.ie have changed their logo for the Meteor Shower today
    perseids09.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi all. To be honest I more or less nothing about astronomy but I would like to see some of this. Myself and my wife stood in the back garden looking up when the shuttle went over so I wouldnt mind getting out and seeing some meteors as well.

Will I see anything tonight? About what time would be the best to look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The fecking weather looks like ruining it down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

We'll all have to go to the mountains to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

[-0-] wrote: »
    We'll all have to go to the mountains to see this.

I think the moon may be your best bet of a clear sky tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

mike65 wrote: »
    The fecking weather looks like ruining it down here.

Hiya mike

poxy cloud again :(

is there ever a day/night in this country when we need a clear sky and its cloudy ...........> again ( puke )

Hope your well

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

This thread has become more like a national weather report, with weather stations all over the country, than one about meteors.:) To again reiterate the point that a few of us have made just go out and look towards the northeast, but also scan around a bit as they can come from anywhere at times. Most will come from near Perseus - hence the name Perseids - but many will appear in other parts of the sky. August 12th is considered as being the peak night, but keep going looking on any clear night in the coming week, as there still should be some to see.

It was cloudy here in Dublin last night, and it doesn't look much better for tonight. Apparently further north, might be a bit better as the skies may clear there. In the early hours of Tuesday morning, I had a look out of my bedroom window, as the skies had cleared, and I did manage to see some in the 5 or 10 minutes I was looking.

This is always a task that needs patience. There will be more meteor showers to come, most notably the Leonids in mid-November. Meteor showers just mean there is an increased likelihood of seeing meteors, but on any clear night there is the potential to see one, and sometimes you are lucky, so whenever it is clear and you are out and about, cast an eye up as you never know what you might see. Regular visitors to this forum will often see threads from one-off visitors asking about something they saw in the night sky and wondering what it was. So whatever about the night skies, keep looking in here too for news of all sorts of events in the night skies and assistance on identifying things that you do see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Flukey wrote: »
    This thread has become more like a national weather report, with weather stations all over the country, than one about meteors.:)

That made me laugh Flukey :D

So whatever about the night skies, keep looking in here too for news of all sorts of events in the night skies and assistance on identifying things that you do see. ..............a clear night maybe :D

Cloudy here in Cork Flukey , be nice to get a clear dark night , moons up aswell tonight :D

Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoifemonaghan

not lookin good in monaghan, very cloudy...further north again no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

farts! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

not lookin too bad in waterford:P

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

starting to cloud over in Galway, dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

keithg89 wrote: »
    not lookin too bad in waterford:P
    I dont know...NE is still abit cloudy just outside the city

its picking up here in meath/westmeath

if cloud stays as it is it will be great when its dark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Not too bad here in Dublin, large patches of open sky which is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Im here in North Cavan and just had a break in the clouds and thought we could see Northern Lights, but then clouded over again...
    anyone else see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Spectacular stuff here in Clare in the last 20minutes. Saw two long firey streaks across the sky followed by a burst of little spots of light. Very very cool :D

What is the peak time tonight. Long breaks between sights and I had to come in my neck is killing me :D Going back out in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Sky has cleared in Navan, saw some flare like lights, one flash and a very fast streak...

this is fantastic, constantly little meteors going every direction, then every 2 mins big one like a flash of lightning, right i'm going back out

i'm in meath BTW

less cloudy then last night in north dublin but not seeing much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Cant see nothing in wexford:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Clouded over in Clare now :mad:

any webcams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

cloudy in Cork too.