Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Of Dying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

fear of death no.

Fear of getting caught ..yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Woody allen sums it up best for me
    - “I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.”

The only thing I hate most over the thought of dying, is that I wont find out how humanity does in the future. Its like watching a decent tv series and your death occurs mid season and you don't get to watch the rest. Id love to know how long humanity survives for and what (if anything) wipes us all out etc. Of course the Christians will still be able to watch, in fact it'll be like having sky+ for them.

OP, if your seriously having panic attacks, you may want to consider seeing someone if its ongoing. But my guess is that you'll wake up one morning and wonder why you worried at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Hi, I was wondering is anyone else as bad as me. When I think if dying i start having panic attacks, i break out in a rash and my heart starts to beat really fast. I have to try to snap out of it. I try to start up a conversation or think of other things to take my mind off it.

Should i go to see someone about this?
    Yes go see someone. I has no fear of death considering I was legally dead for two hours when i was three months of age. I needed heart surgery and they kept my brain on standby while my heart and lungs were stopped. Thus I met the legal definition of death, not the clinical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No time for regrets, try to experience most things at least once, hurt no one, have a ball and take as many good friends on the trip with you. Life's a rollercoaster but you only get one go, make the most of it. When you close your eyes for the last time your body is already decaying...

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Life's a rollercoaster

you just gotta ride it??

i'm sorry i couldn't help myself, goddam ronan keating making me think of this tune every time rollercoasters are mentioned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I always regret not having been born in the future when we're bound to have funky gadgets and life will be like Star Trek. Sadly it's probably more likely that the earth will be grossly over populated and natural resources will have been mostly exhausted. Law and order as we know it will have broken down and life in general will be pretty ****ing ****.

Still. If I genuinely stop to think about death, being an athetist, it makes me sad that my being will just cease to be and that will be that. Of course once I get the dying part over with I won't know any better but that doesn't make it easier.

Ultimately you can't keep thinking about it. The end of your life is inevitable, you just have to enjoy the journey to the end.

(And then go out in a ball of flames)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr_H_Lecter

well sam.....and first let me say, about those people saying they're not worried cause they're young ,lol, so were lots of dead people, you can die in the womb.

Not really something to worry about though, whats the alternative, go on forever on this earth. -IMHO- you wont disappear in any case, where are you going to disappear to? again imHo all that you are made of is part of the universe. Including your thoughts. So we all just get re-jumbled. We're all cut from the same material. Thought/spirit is just another part of the universe, like chopra says we're all just waves on the same ocean, we're separate and at the same time one. nothing that we are is separate from the universe, theres nothing that is not/(that is outside) the universe. we/you/i are our thoughts, our thoughts are energy, the body breaks down and disolves back into energy. The thoughts/person/spirit flows back into where it came from like a small pool of water 're-attaching' to the main body.

these guys explain it nicer/better. :)

(the above automatically jumps to an irrelevant linked video so disregard the 2nd video which opens, better to search part 2 of 7)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If it happens it happens, theres not alot your going to be able to do about it. Why worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You're gonna lose your virginity 5 times between now and the time you die?

I was talking more about the amount of things.
    But I've heard if you don't have sex for ages your virginity can grow back, some maybe I will lose it 4 more times :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

It's only the Ego that fears dying, it fears everything. It's the cause of our problems in this existence - it remains the tyrannical toddler inside all of us and dominates each of us to a lesser or greater degree. If you can smash the Ego you lose your fear of most things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's only the Ego that fears dying, it fears everything. It's the cause of our problems in this existence - it remains the tyrannical toddler inside all of us and dominates each of us to a lesser or greater degree. If you can smash the Ego you lose your fear of most things.

Hehe, another misguided Freudian devotee. Get back in yer box and read The Interpretation of Dreams. I hear Freud was at his best in that one...

...after consuming a kilo of coke.

OP, either go to PI or go ask someone qualified if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Latchy wrote: »
    Scared of dying is one thing ,it's what ( if anything ) that comes after the also worries many, which is probaly not one and the same thing I suppose but a double worry to some

Some of the things that come before death are scarier, imo!

I'm not afraid of dying . . . I just don't want it to hurt (either myself or my loved ones).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I've lost a lot of people tru death and, if there is such a thing as the "afterlife" then YAY...if not, then sure we won't know about it....Death is nothing to be frightened of....a part of living is to die...final chapter n all....if there's nothing there, then, just think of it like sleeping for a very very long time :)....you won't or anyone realise its happened

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ohhhhh myyyyyy god............WE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Confab wrote: »
    Hehe, another misguided Freudian devotee.

I'm not a Freudian anything, but the Ego idea is certainly real, or you wouldn't have written that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

I've lost a lot of people tru death and, if there is such a thing as the "afterlife" then YAY

+1

I've no fear of death no. I do have a fear of getting old though!! Just the thought of every working function of my body slowly going bit by bit (sight, hearing, mobility, memory) that sort of thing.

I rather just go out quickly and in a painless way if possible - preferably in my sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

**** death, i'm having another bottle of wine:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

SeekUp wrote: »
    Some of the things that come before death are scarier, imo!
    That goes without saying, like if a soldier is going to die he wants it to be a quick death

I
    'm not afraid of dying . . . I just don't want it to hurt (either myself or my loved ones).
    No of course not and something we will wish for ourselfs and loved ones , to die without pain and be at peace with the ourselfs and world when we do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Hi, I was wondering is anyone else as bad as me. When I think if dying i start having panic attacks, i break out in a rash and my heart starts to beat really fast. I have to try to snap out of it. I try to start up a conversation or think of other things to take my mind off it.

Should i go to see someone about this?

How old are you first off?

Everyone in world experiences fear of death at some stage of life.I used to be afraid,afraid to sleep at night had the whole panic stuff also,but not anymore,I am more afraid of leaving those behind i love and not been there to protect them:(
    We were in a car crash and it happened so fast just didn't have time to react or think or anything.
    How long has this been going on?If an ongoing thing perhaps you should speak to your doctor about it and he can suggest some form of therapy,If its only recent and due to some sad situation then its all related to trauma and also should seek advice.But there is nothing wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Ohhhhh myyyyyy god............WE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Should have known you couldnt resist :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I always regret not having been born in the future when we're bound to have funky gadgets and life will be like Star Trek. Sadly it's probably more likely that the earth will be grossly over populated and natural resources will have been mostly exhausted. Law and order as we know it will have broken down and life in general will be pretty ****ing ****.

But we are in the future, we do have funky gadgets and life is like star trek.... sort of..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Just take the old people and turn them into food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I remember when I was young (about 9/10) I was scared to **** of germs and things because I thought it'd kill me. So really I had to try and avoid everything and it seriously stifled my social life at the time (albeit I was like 9) It was terrible and I tried to hide it but it was extraordinarily stressful. It went on for around 2/3 years. I got over it though. I think it's just a childhood phase though because I know many people who went through the same thing. If I was older though and it happened I would've tried to get help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Its envitable. Worrying about it isn't going change that fact. So, why worry?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

be happy don't worry...
    even when things are bad there's always a light at the end of the tunnel
    ....as long as it's not the light of an incoming train ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm not afraid of dying as long as I go in my sleep like my grandfather...and not screaming like the passengers on his bus (sorry I couldn't resist).

I would imagine it's similar to being under anesthetic, you're basically just gone but at least with anesthetic you wake up again (best sleep I ever had).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be more worried about being buried alive, hence I've signed up to donate my body to science,at least I'll be dead for definite when they saw me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It is a scary thought, but only because it's beyond comprehension

There's no way for a person to envisage the nothingness that comes with dying

Even imagining nothing is something.

The only thing I'd be scared about is that I had regrets which I never got a chance to put right... that's the difference between heaven and hell imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Dont Fear theh reaper baby , its al part of the cosmic plan:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Yes, it's scary and a horrible thought. But when you're dead you won't know your dead.

Advertisement