Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Excuse you have?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What do you do Biggins? It's always intrigued me.

PM'ing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye, of course it is.
    Biggins
    Saying as it is - no vague bullcrap.
    Aye, of course it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Latchy wrote: »
    Aye, of course it is

:pac:

I've met some extremely nice charity folk in my life time. To them I give them what I can. (I do charity work for Crumlin hospital and a rape crises center in Dublin myself.)
    I know what its like to be at the other end. Those that ruin the reputations of the majority whom are trying to make a difference in these times, I have no time for. They are blackening the name of charity fund raisers and the org's they work for.

Its my own and my neighbours kids, the elderly, the abused and the sick they are eventually effecting by their rough tactics ...and that pisses me off. I'm not going to apologise for being angry at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I taken to saying "I'm not interested in making a contribution." It's a blunt tactic but it works. Also, I say it politely. Good manners cost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

At least if you spot them on the street you can just walk past them. What about the ones that call to your door, you're trapped then. Do you immediatley say 'no thanks' or do you let them do their little speech first and then say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I usually just smile and say, "Not today," and keep walking. The last time I was stopped, however, I said, "I'm actually on my way to the dentist."

And it was true!

(Does it count as an excuse if it's true?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im surprised there isnt more hostility towards them tbh. I don't know if there is a difference between counties, but theres a couple in Galway (I wont name the charity) that I can see getting put in hospital for the way they carry on and not necessarily by me.

Walking into the paths of oncoming people, holding out the arm/clipboard to stop oncoming people, sticking the middle finger up at a guy as he dog-legs around the two of them, shouting at those who ignore them.
    If I was doing the job, which I know isnt easy. I wouldn't be sticking my paws out to stop people or block their paths etc, why? Because Id expect to get the **** kicked into me for doing it.

Apart from the above case. I just smile and say "Sorry". As jackpalance said, good manners cost nothing and it doesn't result in negative feelings for either party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hanley bastards? Name and shame dude

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

I actually took time out one day to see what the guy had to say (I knew what was coming but I just wanted to see how I'd get before he lost interest) Conversation went something like this (Warning:the following is not verbatim, just roughly what I recall):

He: Can you spare a minute for ******* (charity)

Me: Yeah, no problem.

He: Great, are you aware.... (cut short 'cos I tuned out for a while)

Me: Eh, excuse me, but are you going to ask me for my bank details?

He: Well, yes, but its totally secure, man.

Me: I'm not sure, I would like some sort of written guarantee if that's ok with you.

He: I'm sure that can be arranged, now, if you don't mind helping me fill in your details...

Me: Tell you what, you give me your bank details first and I'll give you mine, that ok?

He: Pardon? I'm sorry I didn't get that.

Me: I said; you give me your bank details and then I'll give you mine, that ok?

He: Err, no?

Me: Why not? After all if I find that funds are being withdrawn at an alarming rate from my a/c surely I can hit you up for the shortfall when I can't pay my bills? Makes good sense to me. (Big cheese eating grin on my face)

He: That's not how it works... em, maybe you might want to talk to my boss about something like that. I wouldn't give my details to you...
    (I cut in, rather rudely)

Me: Then why should I give mine to you? I don't know you at all but you expect me to give over personal banking details to some guy off the street? I wouldn't give those details to my friend here and I've known him nearly 10 years!

He shuffles his feet and makes some excuses not sure what he said because I lost interest in anything he had to say and then I walked off.

Long story, I know but the point is folks, if your really interested in giving to charity, go directly to that charity and give your money/ bank details (if you want)/ time, clothes, etc! I don't trust the 'chuggers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

If they knock on the door then "I am feeding the baby"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They are invisible to me. I walk as if they are not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I usually just say sorry gotta go - I've Swine Flu and then accidentally have a wet, green sneeze in their faces.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

sbhatia wrote: »
    Ok so here it goes.
    Since this Morning i have been stopped by atleast 5 Various Charities workers and other Organizations.

My excuse is that i am already Member ( which i am).
    But just wondering what other people have to say about this?

Thats why I now go around now dressed as a Chugger, I have the footpaths all to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Biggins wrote: »
    :pac:

I've met some extremely nice charity folk in my life time. To them I give them what I can. (I do charity work for Crumlin hospital and a rape crises center in Dublin myself.)
    That's good to hear

I know what its like to be at the other end. Those that ruin the reputations of the majority whom are trying to make a difference in these times, I have no time for. They are blackening the name of charity fund raisers and the org's they work for.
    I use to do some charity work in ireland when I was younger and met a few dodgy charitys to except it wasn't till the horse had bolted the stable door , that we discovered the funds we were raising were not going to were they were supposed to be going
    Its my own and my neighbours kids, the elderly, the abused and the sick they are eventually effecting by their rough tactics ...and that pisses me off. I'm not going to apologise for being angry at them.
    Bit like the Big Issue seller shoving the mag in your face and insisting you buy it , yes .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I just tell them I'm not interested.

but... I was stuck in Dublin for two weeks on work at one stage and was walking down that street between stephens green SC and the gaiety after work one nice afternoon and a little stunnger was trying to get people to sign up for some charity that builds homeless shelters or some such, so me being the 21 year old chancer that I was I decided to pretend to give a feck in the hopes that she'd agree to meet me for a pint that night.

after about 2 mins we were no longer talking about the charity, which was nice, ended up talking to her for about half an hour, swapping phone numbers and meeting her in Porter House College Green at 9 that night.

Score 1 team Seaneh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Go away. Leave me alone. I have no money. Youre not not getting any. Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Seaneh wrote: »
    I just tell them I'm not interested.

but... I was stuck in Dublin for two weeks on work at one stage and was walking down that street between stephens green SC and the gaiety after work one nice afternoon and a little stunnger was trying to get people to sign up for some charity that builds homeless shelters or some such, so me being the 21 year old chancer that I was I decided to pretend to give a feck in the hopes that she'd agree to meet me for a pint that night.

after about 2 mins we were no longer talking about the charity, which was nice, ended up talking to her for about half an hour, swapping phone numbers and meeting her in Porter House College Green at 9 that night.

Score 1 team Seaneh!

Did we engage in hanky panky with the widow twanky.

There is one really annoying chugger working in Galway lately. He does his best to get your attention and if you don't stop will block your path. He did it to me during the week and started on a long tirade about how I didn't care about the suffering of others. I suggested to him that rather than stop me he should instead take 13 or so euro he earned an hour and sign up himself.

Next thing I know he's calling me scum and informing me that in his last job on a construction site he was earning 35 euro an hour and left it to work as a chugger so he could change the world. I started laughing at this stage and walked off. But he was having none of it and started to follow me all the time shouting at people that I was scum and how I wanted kids to suffer. I put my headphone back in and continued walking, I did turn back at one stage to see the chugger talking with the guards one of whom motioned for me to stop. I stop and the guard informs me that the chugger had accused me of assaulting him. I think I may have fallen over laughing at this as I told the guard my story as did a few people who had witnessed it. To wrap up the guard told me I could make a complaint about the chugger but I decided that one to his supervisor would be enough. I do believe that there is now one less chugger on our streets because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I rarely get stopped actually.

In fairness though I do walk down the street with my cock out and windmilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Anybody who wants to give to charity should sign up directly through their website etc. and not by paying these guys 13 euro an hour to annoy people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

orourkeda wrote: »
    Did we engage in hanky panky with the widow twanky.

no sex was had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I was drunk, probably still am....soo....my excuse is, i had no control.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

My excuse is that I ignore them completely.
    This normally.

Or sometimes, once I spot them lurking ahead, I just start to scowl. A lot. I can don a highly angry scowly face. It actually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

i simply tell them that i dont have a bank account and have no money;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I start talking to them like enniscorthy types, work every time :)

Chugger: "Have you got a minute or two?"

Me: "MATE!!!!!" (while giggling madly and motioning with my hand in the air"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm under 18 so I don't need an excuse.

If they're hot I usually pretend to be interested for a while though, and keep it up until they ask me my age.

Though I expect to still use the "I'm under 18, sorry" excuse for the rest of my life, it'll only get better when my hair turns grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I just say 'no, sorry' and keep walking, but my boyfriend and I got guilted into buying a €3 scratchcard yesterday for some alcoholic centre in Dun Laoghaire, didn't win of course. I actually wanted to give money to an animal charity person on Grafton Street, raging now that I didn't.

So you'd sooner help a animal than a human? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

They smile at me and make friendly eye contact; ''hi, do you have a moment for (charity).
    I smile and make friendly eye contact back; ''no, I don't''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

donmeister wrote: »
    So you'd sooner help a animal than a human? :confused:

''Human''; he was talking about alcoholics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

''Human''; he was talking about alcoholics

Alcoholics happen to be human aswell you know?

Advertisement