Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoils in Dublin!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I once saw a tv documentary on kids in dublin who keep horses. Even though they spoke english it had to be subtitled also in english. I guess Irish is a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Apparently I was subjected to torture for 6 years of my life.

Funny that I didn't notice it....

Why didn't you have to do it for 13 like everyone else?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was in an English speaking primary school and Irish speaking secondary.

According to the OP, attending a Gaelscoil amounts to torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I was in an English speaking primary school and Irish speaking secondary.

According to the OP, attending a Gaelscoil amounts to torture.

Ah I thought you were just talking about having to learn Irish, not doing everything as Gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I Went to all Irish speaking school in Rathcoole so did my all my family,My grandparents spoke Irish to me and they also went to all Irish speaking schools.
    I don't know who OP is but cant be Irish,it is bizarre that's someone Irish wouldn't know about all Irish scoils:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

fairly hilarious that the OP didn't know there were gaelscoils, living under a rock much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Reading over some of this now I'm wondering, was this not an elaborate joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

This is the problem with Dublin nowadays, imagine speaking Irish in the capital of the country?!?.. This new breed of Dubliners must be the only people in the world to complain about people speaking the national language in the nations' capital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bella.donna

K4t wrote: »
    An A in Irish plus the bonus points for doing your leaving through irish plus the improved job possibilities for having fluent Irish. Pretty good reward. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this (apart from the bonus points which is a disgrace).
    wrote:
    There's no way in hell that that's the main reason. In fact, in my school, half the year only learned about the bonus points half way through 6th year....

I don't believe that for a second.

Similiarly, we were told in my Gaelscoil about the bonus points 2 weeks before the Leaving Cert. The bonus points mainly benefit those who get below 75%. I'm not saying that the points are justified but they're there to take into account how difficult it is to learn subjects such as history through Irish. I'm not from the Gaeltacht and didn't speak Irish at home so learning information-heavy subjects was tough. Most of our time in class was spent translating English books into Irish, even in sixth year. My six years of History and Geography were spent taking down notes from overhead projectors; I'd say I have over 100 copybooks at home full of translations! We didn't have time to actually discuss the subjects.

As a matter of fact, sitting exams in Irish is sometimes more of a hindrance. I did German and French through Irish for the Leaving Cert, including the aural. I wrote my answers in Irish and actually lost marks because I wasn't as precise in Irish as I would have been in English. So the 0.002% that I "gained" from sitting those subjects in Irish was less than the couple of per cent I lost due to my lack of precision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Primary school: Irish
    Secondary school: Irish
    College: Decided to go single-honours with a subject, took Irish as the addititional 'throw-away subject' for a year. Loved every minute.

Do I regret any of it? Not a hope.

......You would have to suspect trollin' here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish I went to a Gaelscoil, I could have done with the extra marks you get for answering through Irish in the Leaving cert (which are totally unfair imo, it's not my fault my parents sent me to an English speaking school)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I hated Irish in school. But that's because I was still learning it in secondary school. I think becoming fluent in it at the primary level is a good idea but secondary school should be for serious subjects.

I never thought it would happen but it looks like I will be sending my kids to a gaelscoil, for 2 simple reasons:

1 they just built one down the road
    2 it's not run by the church so I do not have to get them baptised

I will also have to get Irish lessons myself because I never got past the most basic "brish Sean an fhuinneog le liathroid" stage and I've probably even got that wrong!
    Elessar wrote: »
    I couldn't believe it when I heard this. There are 100% irish speaking schools in Dublin :eek::confused:

I thought they were only down in the gaeltacht! I just can't get my head around kids in Dublin going to a 100% irish speaking school. That's fcuking torture. They should be banned. Why on earth would you want to do this? What kind of parents would send their kids to an irish school in a predominantly English speaking country? Unless you live and work in the gaeltacht I cannot see any logical reason. So your kids can now speak irish. So what? How will that benefit 99.9% of them? What's wrong with a regular school?

A friend (living in Dublin) recently commented he still speaks Irish when he's out with his mates. WTF.

I dunno about anyone else but I hated Irish in school and would petition to see it become an option for all schoolchildren, instead of forcing it down their throats.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. :confused::(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, where have you been all your life?

There are Gaelscoileanna (hope that's correct :) ) all over Dublin.

I do know there are two in Ballymun that are quite well known and have a great reputation.

There was one in my own home town.
    It's been expanding for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

These parents are Nazi's.

Theres a flaw in your logic.....if the parents were really Nazi's wouldn't they be sending their kids to a German speaking school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

phasers wrote: »
    I could have done with the extra marks you get for answering through Irish in the Leaving cert (which are totally unfair imo, it's not my fault my parents sent me to an English speaking school)

A read of this thread, for example the post two above yours by bella.donna, might change that misinformed prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Rebelheart wrote: »
    A read of this thread, for example the post two above yours by bella.donna, might change that misinformed prejudice.
    It's not a misinformed prejudice, you guys get extra marks. You can try to defend it any way you like, but you get extra marks simply for answering through a language that you have been learning intensively for 14 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mike65 wrote: »
    The parents think sending Ryan and Sarah to a Gaelscoil is being "a bit posh" and the thing to do in the noughties.

Or they realise they are giving their children an early leg up on the other children in the LC points race.

you get an extra 100 points for doing your LC in Irish, so if Ryan and Sarah are going for Medicne all they have to achive is 450 instead of an almost impossible 550 in the LC to get accepcted to medicne in NUIG.

It's a no brainer.

It's not a misinformed prejudice, you guys get extra marks. You can try to defend it any way you like, but you get extra marks simply for answering through a language that you have been learning intensively for 14 years.

In fact it is. When you have the ability to sit exams in Irish you will deserve to get extra points because you are working substantially harder than the average person doing the same exam in English. If anything the "bonus points" should be improved for managing this in an Irish society dominated by the medium of English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭beemurf

Seaneh wrote: »
    Or they realise they are giving their children an early leg up on the other children in the LC points race.

you get an extra 100 points for doing your LC in Irish, so if Ryan and Sarah are going for Medicne all they have to achive is 450 instead of an almost impossible 550 in the LC to get accepcted to medicne in NUIG.

It's a no brainer.

Eh no ya don't if you get over 75% you only get 10% of the grade you didn't get-

80% becomes 82% and 90% becomes 91%!

The real benefit comes in for thoses scoring under 75% they will get an extra 10% or 5% (depending on what subject we are talking about) of the points they did get.

beemurf wrote: »
    Eh no ya don't if you get over 75% you only get 10% of the grade you didn't get
    80% becomes 82% and 90% becomes 91%!

Then someone explained it to me wrong.

• Advertisement

It's a no brainer.

And your source for this "100 points" "no brainer" (how apt) nonsense is what, precisely?

Then someone explained it to me wrong.

Maybe doing your own research before building a prejudice would be a fairer thing to do.

For starters:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1218/1229523050392.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/1212/1229035602834.html

Maybe doing your own research before building a prejudice would be a fairer thing to do.

For starters:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1218/1229523050392.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/1212/1229035602834.html

prejudice? get off your high horse, I have no problem with Gealscoils, infact I wish my parents had sent me to one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's not as simple as that. I suppose you have to be in the situation to understand. There're a lack of resources in Irish, and learning Irish terms is like adding a whole new level to the study of the Irish language.
    I lol'd.

You're quite out of touch if you think 550 is almost impossible.

Also, is a medicine course in NUIG really as low as 550? I suppose it's not anymore with the HPAT, but usually medicine courses are 570-590.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Funny how the OP disappeared. He's either taking the piss or he's a f*cking idiot. Please don't ban me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm still here. Head still melted. But I'm coming around to it, slowly. Irish speaking schools in Dublin, good grief. I guess I'm just out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

It's always the Dubs.

It's always the Dubs.

hehe. That's more like it. It's a bit disturbing in recent years meeting this new concept, cultured Dubliners; when I was growing up they were all thugs like Barney Rock beating up decent country people like Mick Lyons and Gerry McEntee. They were sent to places like Spike Island for joyriding, where they drove diggers around and appeared interviewed by Today Tonight reporters saying things like "Jayzas, they're (the diggers) much better than the Beemers back in Dublin"

"There's many a diamond in the rough" as one Dublin girl said to me with a smile when I remarked in the course of plámásing her that 'You're fierce cultured for a Dub."

God I love culchies, we're so modest and unassuming - every last one of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

I once saw a tv documentary on kids in dublin who keep horses. Even though they spoke english it had to be subtitled also in english. I guess Irish is a huge improvement.
    that was national geographic!
    it was meant for americans, which is why it was subtitled. ballymun accents

the best part was when you could hear the kids in the background shouting "here love, giz a blowjob would ya?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Nermal

"There's many a diamond in the rough" as one Dublin girl said to me with a smile when I remarked in the course of plámásing her that 'You're fierce cultured for a Dub."

stop chatting up knackers

Advertisement