Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoils in Dublin!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Like the lazy attempt at it in David McWilliam's 'In Search of the Pope's Children' program.

Yeah right - they just picked those bars because of the Irish names and didn't bother checking that mostly they're full of young 20 somethings who don't have enough money to be the types McWilliams is pontificating about. :rolleyes:

Yep and all the parents do is shop in Donnybrook Fair and Organic shops whilst driving their hybrid cars:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

dlofnep wrote: »
    Maybe in South Dublin, but in the rest of civilized Ireland - Parents send their children to Gaelscoileanna to receive a great education, and to learn the Irish language.
    dlofnep, I'm sorry, but I have to take you up on this as I've seen you speak negatively about South Dublin in several threads. I attended a Gaelscoil in South Dublin and am offended by your attitude towards the area.

Seriously, we're not a bunch of west Brits, most of us who attended Gaelscoils did not do so simply because our parents thought it was fashionable. Get over your prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I went to one in Ballymun way back when, left it in 1995 when I moved to a different area, my first experience of an english primary school was second class.

Now I wish I'd been able to stay there longer, I wish I'd pay more attention to Irish in school, because I'd love to be able to speak the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

themont85 wrote: »
    Yep and all the parents do is shop in Donnybrook Fair and Organic shops whilst driving their hybrid cars:rolleyes:

I've seen them do it - driving those hybrid cars right through Donnybrook Fair without so much as a by your leave. Ingrates. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Went to one which is now located in harolds cross. No big deal, just a school. I do remember some parents quizzing the aul muinteoir about their class plans etc. you do get the pushy parents and can even notice the crazies when still a kid.

I opted out and went to an english speaking one for secondary, biggest mistake I ever made. Ah well, can't be undone.

so yes, there are irish speaking schools in dublin, imagine that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    dlofnep, I'm sorry, but I have to take you up on this as I've seen you speak negatively about South Dublin in several threads. I attended a Gaelscoil in South Dublin and am offended by your attitude towards the area.

Seriously, we're not a bunch of west Brits, most of us who attended Gaelscoils did not do so simply because our parents thought it was fashionable. Get over your prejudices.

Sorry, no offense meant. It was a tongue in cheek comment. I didn't mean any harm by it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Elessar wrote: »
    Unless you live and work in the gaeltacht I cannot see any logical reason. So your kids can now speak irish. So what? How will that benefit 99.9% of them? What's wrong with a regular school?
    I dunno about anyone else but I hated Irish in school and would petition to see it become an option for all schoolchildren, instead of forcing it down their throats.

You want to ban a school that the parents have chosen to send their kids to? Will your kids ever be forced to go to an Irish speaking school? If not, then mind your own business.

@JC 2K3 - there's always loads of reverse snobbery, I would just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Mixedup wrote: »
    you are a retard OP

Banned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Love2love wrote: »
    Where?

Foxrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

andrew wrote: »

There's also a German school in Clonskeagh.

Gaelscoileanna (as well as other language primary schools) can only be good for a child's development, especially as it can help them learn other languages in the future.

• Advertisement

There's one in Kilbarrack that my mate was in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i went to one, was closest school to my house, in harmonstown, was full of posh kids from Malahide/Portmarnock with names like Sneachta, Eorna, Oisin, Odhran, Sorcha, Cruthuir, etc. I felt like i was from the ghetto in that school compared to them. They all had weirdo new wave gaeilge celtic rootsy parents that didn't allow them to speak english in their homes and stuff. They're having a reunion soon, I'd love to show up in a tracksuit drinking cans.
    I could speak it fluently but there were other kids that just never really got to grips with it. It's nice to know it but I'd much rather I was taught a Euro language instead to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Apparently I was subjected to torture for 6 years of my life.

Funny that I didn't notice it....

Are you one of the Guantanamo detainees Ireland is accepting? Welcome to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

I thought they were only down in the gaeltacht! I just can't get my head around kids in Dublin going to a 100% irish speaking school. That's fcuking torture. They should be banned. Why on earth would you want to do this? What kind of parents would send their kids to an irish school in a predominantly English speaking country?

These parents are Nazi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

There's one in Kilbarrack that my mate was in.

Sofaspud? Didn't he only go for a couple of months?

EDIT : Read the rest of the thread... Damnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i went to one, was closest school to my house, in harmonstown, was full of posh kids from Malahide/Portmarnock with names like Sneachta, Eorna, Oisin, Odhran, Sorcha, Cruthuir, etc. I felt like i was from the ghetto in that school compared to them. They all had weirdo new wave gaeilge celtic rootsy parents that didn't allow them to speak english in their homes and stuff. They're having a reunion soon, I'd love to show up in a tracksuit drinking cans.

Funny post, gave me a good laugh. I like your drinking cans in a tracksuit idea. Incidentally, I went to that same school, years back. It was never like that when I was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

jumpguy wrote: »
    OH MY GOD PEOPLE ARE SPEAKING IRISH IN DUBLIN. DUBLIN!!!

Speaking in Dublin is progress: AJH and all that

The As Gailge version is CTFTU:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Wasn't there an article in the papers a couple of weeks back about how there are now more Irish speakers in Dublin than in the gaeltacht? (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Feyy wrote: »
    These parents are Nazi's.

I beleive that they built a statue of one of them in Fairview Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I beleive that they built a statue of one of them in Fairview Park.

Republican leader Sean Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Republican leader Sean Russell.

Ahhhh .......sarcasm parts more hair than male pattern bladness in this forum somedays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

So your kids can now speak irish. So what? How will that benefit 99.9% of them? . :confused::(:mad:
    - Leaving Cert > Irish is a compulsory subject > Points > Bonus points for doing other subjects through Irish. This is definitely the number one reason.

Then other things come into account such as standard of teaching and discipline which are usually quite good in the gaelscoils. And of course the whole social and cultural aspects too etc.

K4t wrote: »
    - Leaving Cert > Irish is a compulsory subject > Points > Bonus points for doing other subjects through Irish. This is definitely the number one reason.
    ROFL.

Have you any idea how minuscule the reward for taking your LC in Irish is? Seriously?

There's no way in hell that that's the main reason. In fact, in my school, half the year only learned about the bonus points half way through 6th year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I know there is one in Lucan.

I would have loved to went to one, 100 more points in the leaving and the ability to speak Irish, yes please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ROFL.

Have you any idea how minuscule the reward for taking your LC in Irish is? Seriously?
    An A in Irish plus the bonus points for doing your leaving through irish plus the improved job possibilities for having fluent Irish. Pretty good reward. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this (apart from the bonus points which is a disgrace).
    There's no way in hell that that's the main reason. In fact, in my school, half the year only learned about the bonus points half way through 6th year....
    I don't believe that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

An A in Irish plus the bonus points for doing your leaving through irish plus the improved job possibilities for having fluent Irish. Pretty good reward. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this (apart from the bonus points which is a disgrace).
    Well, in fairness, it takes quite a lot of effort to learn certain things in Irish, for example all them terms used in science and business. That's difficult. Also, the extra effort put in to learn Irish in the first place, although that's abit more dodgy. Aslong as the bonus points isn't substantial it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

bythewoods wrote: »
    How has this come as a shock to you?
    Have you been living under a giant rock?

I'd have loved to go to a Gaelscoil, and done all my subjects through Irish. And I'm far from any Gaeltachts.
    Obviously.

I don't believe that for a second.
    It's true.

Absolutely no focus was put on the Irish bonus besides the occasional "oh btw, you get a few extra marks for doing your LC in Irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

the ones in dublin have the highest standard iirc

had the same problem with the posh kids with ****ed up neames in primary. going to an irish secondary in bray sorted that out. colaiste eoin would have been a better education though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Ahhhh .......sarcasm parts more hair than male pattern bladness in this forum somedays.

You can be such a bladass sometimes.:D:D:D

Advertisement