Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoils in Dublin!

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe it when I heard this. There are 100% irish speaking schools in Dublin :eek::confused:

I thought they were only down in the gaeltacht! I just can't get my head around kids in Dublin going to a 100% irish speaking school. That's fcuking torture. They should be banned. Why on earth would you want to do this? What kind of parents would send their kids to an irish school in a predominantly English speaking country? Unless you live and work in the gaeltacht I cannot see any logical reason. So your kids can now speak irish. So what? How will that benefit 99.9% of them? What's wrong with a regular school?

A friend (living in Dublin) recently commented he still speaks Irish when he's out with his mates. WTF.

I dunno about anyone else but I hated Irish in school and would petition to see it become an option for all schoolchildren, instead of forcing it down their throats.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. :confused::(:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Oh this is gonna end well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

OH MY GOD PEOPLE ARE SPEAKING IRISH IN DUBLIN. DUBLIN!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know what OP?

They have them ALL OVER THE COUNTRY too! :eek:

They've been around for years - where've you been living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Keep wrapping the head around it so! I've loads of friends from Dublin who have perfect Irish! Gaelscoileanna a huge deal up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

People speaking Irish in Ireland, who'da thunk it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Elessar wrote: »
    I couldn't believe it when I heard this. There are 100% irish speaking schools in Dublin :eek::confused:

I thought they were only down in the gaeltacht! I just can't get my head around kids in Dublin going to a 100% irish speaking school. That's fcuking torture. They should be banned. Why on earth would you want to do this? What kind of parents would send their kids to an irish school in a predominantly English speaking country? Unless you live and work in the gaeltacht I cannot see any logical reason. So your kids can now speak irish. So what? How will that benefit 99.9% of them? What's wrong with a regular school?

A friend (living in Dublin) recently commented he still speaks Irish when he's out with his mates. WTF.

I dunno about anyone else but I hated Irish in school and would petition to see it become an option for all schoolchildren, instead of forcing it down their throats.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. :confused::(:mad:

Are you serious?
    I went to one, in Tallaght, for primary school. I regularly speak Irish to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

How has this come as a shock to you?
    Have you been living under a giant rock?

I'd have loved to go to a Gaelscoil, and done all my subjects through Irish. And I'm far from any Gaeltachts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Apparently I was subjected to torture for 6 years of my life.

Funny that I didn't notice it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Of course I'm serious. I'm just shocked. I always thought the kids in school who could speak fluent Irish were taught in the gaeltacht. I never knew there were 100% irish speaking, no-english allowed, schools anywhere but. I mean jesus!

No offence to people who love the language, but I can't understand it.

Did nobody else see Irish as a complete waste of time and brain power in school?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

There's a French language primary school in Dublin too. Imagine that. Children speaking FRENCH. In IRELAND. ZOMG :rolleyes:

Elessar wrote: »
    Of course I'm serious. I'm just shocked. I always thought the kids in school who could speak fluent Irish were taught in the gaeltacht. I never knew there were 100% irish speaking, no-english allowed, schools anywhere but. I mean jesus!

No offence to people who love the language, but I can't understand it. Why?!

How old are you, seriously?

We had to speak Irish when playing other schools in GAA, that actually worked out to be an advantage as they couldn't understand us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The parents think sending Ryan and Sarah to a Gaelscoil is being "a bit posh" and the thing to do in the noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

WWDBD

What Would Des Bishop Do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

andrew wrote: »
    There's a French language primary school in Dublin too. Imagine that. Children speaking FRENCH. In IRELAND. ZOMG :rolleyes:

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

I really don't understand how you didn't know this!

Did you not go to primary school in Ireland?because when I was going you would always run into gaelscoils during choir competitions or sporting comps and such.

They were a very fashionable thing during the boom times,you would nearly have to have the kids name down for a place before conception.

mike65 wrote: »
    The parents think sending Ryan and Sarah to a Gaelscoil is being "a bit posh" and the thing to do in the noughties.

Maybe in South Dublin, but in the rest of civilized Ireland - Parents send their children to Gaelscoileanna to receive a great education, and to learn the Irish language.

They are hardly a new thing. They have been around forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

2 out of the 5 primary schools in ballymun are 100% irish speaking. and 1 of them has been there for as long as i can remember.

• Advertisement

Me thinks the OP mightn't be the worldly-wise mature head that we once thought her/him to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are hardly a new thing. They have been around forever

Some have its true but there has been a rash of newer ones for, as dlofnep notes, the South Dublin crowd, roysh?

btw how fast is google this thread is already indexed
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=iCa&q=Gaelscoil+south+dublin+posh&btnG=Search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

you are a retard OP

Mixedup wrote: »
    you are a retard OP

Was probably worth the ban. Kudos sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Aw, bless you've led a shelthered life haven't you.:rolleyes:

The children grow up bi-lingual, which has been shown to enable a child to pick up other languages easier.

The children have a head start on Irish come L.C time. Also I know that civil service exams taken through irish recieve a higher mark and I believe there is a similar kick back regarding the L.C. 10% of the points you didn't recieve, I think, I could be wrong.

It was considered en vogue with certain pretentious parents in the nineties, along with alot of children's names as Gaeilge. To be fair, whether you personally like irish or not, I can only see it as a positive for the child, giving them a possible leg up regarding their education.

Sorry it was "forced down your throat" but every person I've met from Gaelscoil's was either neutral or positve {majority} and I think all avoided the "forcing" as it was what came natural to them.

And I really hope you never go to war, torture would not be what you're expecting. :rolleyes:.

Seriously, what age are you? You sound as though you're still in school, maybe you should transfer?!:D

Some have its true but there has been a rash of newer ones for, as dlofnep notes, the South Dublin crowd, roysh?

Amazing isn't it - The same ones who originally shunned the language, are now sending their children to pick it up. ;)

There's a pretty new one in Lucan. Only been there about 8 years or so.

Not exactly 'roysh Sorcha where'd you park the beemer?' territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

dlofnep wrote: »
    Maybe in South Dublin, but in the rest of civilized Ireland - Parents send their children to Gaelscoileanna to receive a great education, and to learn the Irish language.

Could be wrong but maybe the parents of south Dublin send their kids their for the education and Irish aspect too. Although that might not fit in with the regular and easy bashing of south Dublin parents as uncivilized snobs.

themont85 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but maybe the parents of south Dublin send their kids their for the education and Irish aspect too. Although that might not fit in with the regular and easy bashing of south Dublin parents as uncivilized snobs.

Like the lazy attempt at it in David McWilliam's 'In Search of the Pope's Children' program.
    They drink in bars with names like Solas and Anseo and send their children to Gaelscoils

Yeah right - they just picked those bars because of the Irish names and didn't bother checking that mostly they're full of young 20 somethings who don't have enough money to be the types McWilliams is pontificating about. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

btw how fast is google this thread is already indexed
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=iCa&q=Gaelscoil+south+dublin+posh&btnG=Search

What like Colaiste Eoin and Iosagain founded in 1968?

Most of the newer Gaelscoil have been elsewhere in Dublin, a primary one I believe in D4 is 15ish years old but that's the newest that I know of.

Advertisement