Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Agree with everyone about the age rating. Utter stupidity to think that films are being reigned in for kids at the expense of an adult's entertainment.

I actually cant wait for this film all the same and considering the excitement in this thread, what do people think of going to see this as a group maybe...? Bit of a boards outing to Prometheus?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Agree with everyone about the age rating. Utter stupidity to think that films are being reigned in for kids at the expense of an adult's entertainment.

I actually cant wait for this film all the same and considering the excitement in this thread, what do people think of going to see this as a group maybe...? Bit of a boards outing to Prometheus?

exactly, its filmmaking by committee, well releasing a film anyway. gotta get those all important weekend demographics, why cant a film just be what it is these days? there's plenty of stuff coming out during the summer you could take a kid or young teenager to, like Spiderman, Prometheus is an adult themed movie made for adults, leave it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

My opinion on the rating is that the majority of the fan base will / is surely going to be those who grew up on the original and Aliens.

Surely that would mean that 90%+ (guesstimate) of the target viewers would be of 18/R rating age anyway?

Seems odd to me to have to restrict the cinema cut for what I'd imagine to be a tiny proportion of its audience.

My opinion on the rating is that the majority of the fan base will / is surely going to be those who grew up on the original and Aliens.

Surely that would mean that 90%+ (guesstimate) of the target viewers would be of 18/R rating age anyway?

Seems odd to me to have to restrict the cinema cut for what I'd imagine to be a tiny proportion of its audience.

thats it exactly, look at The Expendables 2, its a love letter to all those cheesy 80's action movies and it'll be mostly guys in their 20's and 30's going to it who grew up watchign them, but its aimed at 13 year olds? who werent even ALIVE when most of the guys in it where A list stars. kids who grew up watching Vin Diesel action movies dont give a sh1t about seeing Stallone and Schwarzeneggar on screen together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

krudler wrote: »
    thats it exactly, look at The Expendables 2, its a love letter to all those cheesy 80's action movies and it'll be mostly guys in their 20's and 30's going to it who grew up watchign them, but its aimed at 13 year olds?

Apparently, Sly confirmed last week that The Expendables 2 will be rated R, despite having confirmed the PG-13 rating a few months back. Probably due to the public back lash which Stallone has listened to before, in fairness.
    “After taking in all the odd rumors and hearsay, EXPENDABLES II is an R.”

Anywho, this film would be much more comfortable in a 15s rating than 12a. I can't imagine any 12 year old wanting to see this.

The idea of a sci-fi / horror movie that a 12 year old can watch along side me doesn't fill me with the hope that it's going to truly creep me out.

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Apparently, Sly confirmed last week that The Expendables 2 will be rated R, despite having confirmed the PG-13 rating a few months back. Probably due to the public back lash which Stallone has listened to before, in fairness.

Anywho, this film would be much more comfortable in a 15s rating than 12a. I can't imagine any 12 year old wanting to see this.

The idea of a sci-fi / horror movie that a 12 year old can watch along side me doesn't fill me with the hope that it's going to truly creep me out.

\:D/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

More from Scott about the rating in this month's Empire:
    Right now I don’t know where we are. The question is, do you go for the PG-13, or do you go for what it should be, which is R? Financially it makes quite a difference, or the risk makes quite a difference, and yet you also have to apply the question — if you soften it, will you financially suffer? As opposed to just going for the throat and gambling. Essentially, it’s kinda R. The little bastards will still get in anyway, so what’s the difference? It’s not just about blood, it’s about ideas that are very stressful. I’m not an idiot, but I’ll do everything I can to get the most aggressive film I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

god damned typo in my username i've only just discovered when i saw this thread!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I think Scott got lucky with his big monster in the haunted
    house film the first time around.

And now, after a series of total disasters, he's trying to put
    his name once again on cinema.

Not...gonna...work...

WE fans have moved on; the line up on the new film
    looks like something from a PS3 game the little lad wouldn't even
    be bothered about.

PG-13 or R?!?!

The debacle is laughable.

At least gems like ANOTHER EARTH offer
    up something which will satiate the desire
    for a, more substantial science fiction?!?!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

So many trailers.. Has the Wondercon trailer been featured in the thread?

Jockey movement towards the end..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Amalgam wrote: »
    So many trailers.. Has the Wondercon trailer been featured in the thread?

Jockey movement towards the end..

Yeah saw that one, don't know if it was in this thread. i think there's 4 or 5 slightly different trailers floating around. They all look class though. Just over 2 months to go now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

Never seen that one, cheers! Was lurking on a dedicated forum to this film, people going over trailers frame by frame with a fine tooth comb looking for the smallest things, in fairness there is some things yad miss watching em regularly. Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That "WonderCon" trailer is exactly the same as the IMAX trailer that was already posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Could say the same about Terminator, Die Hard, AVP, Expendables and a whole host of other movies that were bastardized in the name of a lower rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

WE fans have moved on; the line up on the new film
    looks like something from a PS3 game the little lad wouldn't even
    be bothered about.
    I'm glad to see that the fans' official spokesman has turned up. We weren't sure where we'd left you after the election.

Theron has an Oscar. Even with the green-tinted goggles set aside Fassbender is a rising star (nominated for Baftas and Golden Globes, won best actor at Venice), a lead actor in blockbusters. Rapace just made her name with the Swedish Dragon Tattoo movies, Elba is a major TV star (and an excellent actor), Guy Pearse is a reputable character actor or lead with dozens of good movies behind him.

Let's compare that with the original Alien cast: Skerrit, Cartwright, Holm, all TV actors. Waver was a minor stage actress. Stanton a character actor. Hurt was a last-minute replacement after an illness. The only real star in the cast was Kotto, and he wasn't on a par with Theron or Fassbender in terms of name recognition (nor, in what I've seen of him, in ability).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

mikhail wrote: »

Theron has an Oscar. Even with the green-tinted goggles set aside Fassbender is a rising star (nominated for Baftas and Golden Globes, won best actor at Venice), a lead actor in blockbusters. Rapace just made her name with the Swedish Dragon Tattoo movies, Elba is a major TV star (and an excellent actor), Guy Pearse is a reputable character actor or lead with dozens of good movies behind him.

Let's compare that with the original Alien cast: Skerrit, Cartwright, Holm, all TV actors. Waver was a minor stage actress. Stanton a character actor. Hurt was a last-minute replacement after an illness. The only real star in the cast was Kotto, and he wasn't on a par with Theron or Fassbender in terms of name recognition (nor, in what I've seen of him, in ability).

I agree with you about the current cast, a lot of good actors there, in fact in the original film Skerrit, Cartwright and Weaver are pretty poor, Skerrit was particularly wooden, Holm's, who had a theatre background, was the standout performance, with Hurt, Kotto and Stanton all really good too. My favourite film of all time Bladerunner was mostly unknowns and its still a gem, apart from Ford there are no other "stars" in it, my only concern (which the trailers seem to hint at) is that Prometheus might be a flash, bang wallop special effects fest with no tension building, slower passages or character development, hopefully I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Tusky wrote: »
    Could say the same about Terminator, Die Hard, AVP, Expendables and a whole host of other movies that were bastardized in the name of a lower rating.

:confused: Terminator and Die Hard both had 18 certs back in the day.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FlashD wrote: »
    :confused: Terminator and Die Hard both had 18 certs back in the day.

Pretty sure they meant the recent sequels

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure they meant the recent sequels
    Yeah, thought that was obvious too.

Loads of Hi-res images have been released:

prometheus-1.jpg
    prometheus-2.jpg
    prometheus-3.jpg
    prometheus-4.jpg
    prometheus-5.jpg
    prometheus-6.jpg
    prometheus-7.jpg
    prometheus-8.jpg
    prometheus-9.jpg
    prometheus-10.jpg
    prometheus-11.jpg
    prometheus-12.jpg
    prometheus-13.jpg
    prometheus-14.jpg
    prometheus-15.jpg

• Advertisement

prometheus-16.jpg
    prometheus-17.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that Rafe Spall?? Didn't know he was in this, hopefully there's football style commentating on his scenes.

Noomi Rapace is a hottie, there I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that Rafe Spall?? Didn't know he was in this, hopefully there's football style commentating on his scenes.

Noomi Rapace is a hottie, there I said it.

it is indeed, shocked that pete versus life is in this now its a must see

Fassbender looks a fair bit androidy in those pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

yea,
    he definately is, there is a viral video of him being unpacked at a factory

Theron is also looking like one too

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don't think thats a secret, pretty sure was described as one from early on

ricero wrote: »
    it is indeed, shocked that pete versus life is in this now its a must see

Its been a sly marketing campaign all along, the real title of the movie has been revealed as Pete vs. Alien and its actually directed by The Brothers Strause

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

Thank God they said illuminatti straight away. I got to turn it off in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Harry Knowles has posted a review of a fake script someone emailed to him. The guy is such an idiot.

Advertisement