Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exceeding The Speed Limit

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

SV wrote: »
    No one says that.
    What people do say is that it's safe to break the speed limit* because they are, by and large, far far too low for the conditions that allow,
    The opinion of the speed-limit breaking driver is based on a limited set of criteria selected by the drivers for purely selfish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

The opinion of the speed-limit breaking driver is based on a limited set of criteria selected by the drivers for purely selfish reasons.

The people that actually set these speed limits are county council workers who can never be sacked, have probably never driven on Irish roads, either because
    1. They travel on public transport
    2. They use taxis all the time and claim it as expenses or
    3. They are cyclists...

SC024 wrote: »
    The people that actually set these speed limits are county council workers who ....
    And so you would like to think as this helps justify your own 'expert' opinion as to what is the appropriate speed. Coincidentally, this is a speed you like.

Everyone who deliberately breaks the law makes up their own excuses.

I understand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And so you would like to think as this helps justify your own 'expert' opinion as to what is the appropriate speed. Coincidentally, this is a speed you like.

Everyone who deliberately speeds makes up their own excuses.

I understand.

Whereas you just take the council defined speed limit as being the one and only truth about the appropriate speed for a road.

Everyone who illogically hates private car driving has their own excuses...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The militant cyclist has spoken! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Everyone who deliberately breaks the law makes up their own excuses.

I understand.

What about country roads where the speed limit is obviosly to high?

theres one wehere I live, the limit is 80, The bends are that bad on it that a motorbike couldn't make it round in dry conditions at 70kms...

I personally have a habit of not breaking the speed limit here....

explain...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

SCO24 wrote:
    What about country roads where the speed limit is obviosly to high?

theres one wehere I live, the limit is 80, The bends are that bad on it that a motorbike couldn't make it round in dry conditions at 70kms...

I personally have a habit of not breaking the speed limit here....

explain...

Well, you're clearly wrong. Its within the God-given right of any God-fearing driver to plow down any pedestrians they meet before committing Suicide-By-Hedge, safe in the knowledge that they are under the protection of Our Lord, Biffo Almighty, so long as they obey the holy words (or numerals) upon the Little Red Signs without question or reason.

[/sarcasm]

MYOB wrote: »
    Whereas you just take the council defined speed limit as being the one and only truth about the appropriate speed for a road.
    You should know better than that. There is no basis for you to say so, based on anything I have ever posted.

You know and I know: It's a maximum speed. The appropriate speed may be lower.
    Everyone who illogically hates private car driving has their own excuses...
    Who needs an excuse to obey the law?

If you think a limit is wrong, find out all the reasons for it and ask for it to be changed. You've no right to makeup your own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'd be fairly sure I exceed a speed limit every time I get into the car.

I'd consider it safer to have my eyes on the road than down on the speedo all the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I would go about 5-10mph over the speed limit max depending on road/traffic/weather.

I never break the limit in built up areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

You should know better than that. There is no basis for you to say so, based on anything I have ever posted.

Speed limits should be indicative of what a safe speed would be on a given road. At least this is how it works in most other countries.

Saying that its just a maximum speed is an appauling cop out by County Councils for their own ignorance or just sheer laziness.

Cyclists not having to obey speed limits is also a bizarre situation. While a cyclists hitting a pedestrian at over 50kph mightn't kill them, it coudl still do a lot of damage. You must also factor in that unlike cars, cyclists are very quiet and might be a lot harder for pedestrians to hear. A cyclist hitting a car pulling out of a junction when doing more than 50kph wouldn't be a nice situation either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yet you refuse, under any circumstances, to accept that the appropriate speed for a road an be higher than the posted maximum? Because of course, once someone sets a limit the road suddenly degrades in quality to that level... :rolleyes:

Yet you refuse, under any circumstances, to accept that the appropriate speed for a road an be higher than the posted maximum? Because of course, once someone sets a limit the road suddenly degrades in quality to that level... :rolleyes:

R639. It used to be fit for 100kph yet when stretches of M8 open, eventhough traffic is significantly down on this road, it suddenly is only good for 80kph.

What a load of ********. Again, this is due to more laziness by each and every county council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'd say I never go more than about 10% over the limit, and I don't speed all the time. I always try to be aware of what speed I'm doing at any time too. I did get a fright though, driving home on the dual carriageway five minutes after getting my final degree results and on a total high, when I glanced down and saw what speed I was doing without even realising it - far too high to be safe in my old Colt! That was a once-off though.

I definitely agree that slow drivers are more likely to be the cause of accidents than speeders, from my own experience anyways. I've often seen near-misses where a car ends up overtaking dangerously because of a ridiculously slow car in front. I know that technically the overtaking car would be in the wrong, but the slow driver is partially to blame too. Drivers shouldn't be on the road if they don't have the confidence to drive at (at least) the speed limit.

Speed limits should be indicative of what a safe speed...
    That's not correct. They are a limit based on what is socially acceptable at that location.
    you refuse, under any circumstances, to accept that the appropriate speed for a road an be higher than the posted maximum?
    Except in the most extreme emergency, it is not appropriate to break the law.
    Because of course, once someone sets a limit
    Because you & others think you know better.

That's not correct. They are a limit based on what is socially acceptable at that location.

No they're not. For the most part speed limits in Ireland are based on road designation and don't take the standard of road into account at all.

For practically all roads in Ireland, its 80kph for all Local and Regional roads. 100kph for national routes and 120kph for motorways.

A 5 lane dual carriageway with a regional road designation will have a 80kph speed limit until some county councilor gets off his arse and passes the need legislation to correct the speed limit.

Please explain the case of R639 and how the road is now deemed to be unsafe to drive up at 100kph eventhough traffic on the road is down significantly with new stretches of the M8 opening ?

You've taken a quote from someone else here and put my name on it. Please stop.
    Except in the most extreme emergency, it is not appropriate to break the law.

When a law is illogical, unjustified or done with no basis, I'll break it as I see fit. A 60km/h limit on a rural dual carriageway (R449) is unjustified. An 80km/h limit on a wide two lane detrunked national highway (R132, R148, R639, R445...) is done with no basis. A 100km/h limit on a 160km/h design speed dual carriageway (N11) is illogical.
    Because you & others think you know better.

As opposed to speed limits which are set by council workers who think they know better than road safety experts. You're taking the moral high ground here all off the assumption that council workers actually have any training, experience or knowledge in road safety. They don't.

Another thing is that the high limits - 100km/h, 120km/h - are effectively translations of 1950s British limits, set as a formula of safe braking distances of a standard car of that era. A standard car of that era had all-round drum brakes and cross-ply tyres. A standard car of now has quad discs and radials, and under had braking, has ABS. Incomparable vehicles. Road standards have also improved, yet we're limited to speeds designed for a Ford Anglia on a 1950s rural road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Anyone who goes on about '"it's safe to break the speed limit becuase I'm a great driver" does not understand all of the good reasons for speed limits existing & is behaving rather selfishly.
    Can you list these good reasons please? Your post implies that there might be some bad reasons for speed limits existing. Are you aware of any?

You've taken a quote from someone else here and put my name on it. Please stop.
    Apologies, it was accidental. I was intending to quote AugustusMaximus.
    When a law is illogical, unjustified or done with no basis, I'll break it as I see fit
    Hmm, the independent republic of MyOb.
    Do you You're taking the moral high ground here all off the assumption that council workers actually have any training, experience or knowledge in road safety. They don't.
    So you know better than everyone else? What's your qualification? Watched all the editions of 'Top Gear'?
    aero2k wrote:
    Can you list these good reasons please?
    Safety, average ability of all road users, noise pollution, traffic flow, convenience of other road users, the wishes of the people through whose neighbourhood your're speeding.

• Advertisement

So you know better than everyone else? What's your qualification? Watched all the editions of 'Top Gear'?

You're the self-proclaimed road safety expert (who thought that brake-testing drivers was safe), its you who needs to show your cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why oh why do these threads always go down the same road?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement