Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exceeding The Speed Limit

Options
  • 29-07-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up on something mentioned in another thread earlier and I was astonished to see some people mention that they had never, ever, ever, exceeded a speed limit. Now we all know that speeding is wrong and dangerous but I personally would find it extremely difficult to never exceed the speed limit even by a few kmph!

How many people out there can truly say they have never exceeded a sped limit?

Have you ever exceeded a speed limit? 199 votes

One one or more occasions in my life
    0% 0 votes
    Absolutely, unequivocally, 'honest to God' truly never!
    100% 199 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Id say if someone says they have never exceeded a speed limit they are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dean09 wrote: »
    Id say if someone says they have never exceeded a speed limit they are lying.

+1

I'd be actually worried if they didn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only by accident, as I am learning, by a few kph.
    As far as i can see most people break the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Only by accident, as I am learning, by a few kph.
    As far as i can see most people break the law!

Doesn't really matter if it was an accident or not though! It's not the point, but fair play! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah hate to get done for 62 kph, for not being able to keep my foot steady yet... :d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I have never ever ever ever ever broken any speed limit.

I also brush my teeth after absolutely every meal, always give my seat up my seat on the bus to the elderly, those with a disability or pregnant women, go to confession every Sunday and never ever ever ever masturbate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I have never ever ever ever ever broken any speed limit.

I also brush my teeth after absolutely every meal, always give my seat up my seat on the bus to the elderly, those with a disability or pregnant women, go to confession every Sunday and never ever ever ever masturbate.

lying wanker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

To be honest the only speed limits I obey religiously are the ones in built up areas, other than that I drive to my capabilities and the prevailing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    lying wanker ;)

Good sir, I also NEVER lie and I am simply aghast at the baseless accusation.

:P:P:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

do it all the time! i have absolutely no problems with putting the foot down on any decent road or motorway. i do obey them within town or city areas though, pretty much religiously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Back in my 20's (1990's)...yep....definately..........A LOT!:o

Though,in fairness, there was a lot less chance of being caught back then...and even if you were penalty points were not an issue.
    I rarely exceed speed limits now, just stick the car on cruise and sit back and enjoy the scenery.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bigkev49 wrote: »
    To be honest the only speed limits I obey religiously are the ones in built up areas, other than that I drive to my capabilities and the prevailing conditions.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Haha the results.

Holsten wrote: »
    Haha the results.

None of the Motoring Mods have voted yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Picked up on something mentioned in another thread earlier and I was astonished to see some people mention that they had never, ever, ever, exceeded a speed limit.
    Please tell me you don't mean me from that Phoenix Park thread?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In fairness we all do it from time to time. Probably when we think it safe to do so. We might even be right, but if we are caught our opinion on "safe to do so" won't count for much.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Please tell me you don't mean me from that Phoenix Park thread?:D

Dunno what you're talking about!?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Damien360

I stick to 140kph on all motorways but on all other roads I stick to the limit....unless I get annoyed by a really slow driver holding me up and then I floor it and seem to maintain speed long after the overtake. Do I get brownie points for sticking to 60kph and 50kph speed limits always. And where a road speed has been reduced from 100kph to 80kph due to nearby motorway, I don't obey that either. Saying that, I never stick to the limit at roadworks either. Hmmm, does'nt look like I obey the limit at all.

Well there we have it!

Almost 99% of people have broken the speed limit at some stage in their lives so next time someone gets up on their high-horse about a few Km over the limit send them this way! ;)

P.S. - I wanna know who was the liar!!!!

• Advertisement

Well there we have it!

Almost 99% of people have broken the speed limit at some stage in their lives so next time someone gets up on their high-horse about a few Km over the limit send them this way! ;)
    Now here's where it gets silly. We've all done stupid things, does that mean that we can't point out that what someone else is doing is wrong? That's a primary school argument, TBH.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Now here's where it gets silly. We've all done stupid things, does that mean that we can't point out that what someone else is doing is wrong? That's a primary school argument, TBH.:)

It's very true that we're all entitled to our own opinion however one should always practice what one preaches! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

next time someone gets up on their high-horse about a few Km over the limit

People get on their high horse about that? They must never get down!

Seriously, I expected the poll to look more like:

I exceed the speed limit:

a) every time I drive outside a built up area
    b) every time I drive on a Motorway
    c) every time I drive on a dual carriageway with a dopey 50km/hr limit
    d) every time I drive

Zube wrote: »
    People get on their high horse about that? They must never get down!

Seriously, I expected the poll to look more like:

I exceed the speed limit:

a) every time I drive outside a built up area
    b) every time I drive on a Motorway
    c) every time I drive on a dual carriageway with a dopey 50km/hr limit
    d) every time I drive

It's a simple 'do you or don't you', cuts out all the BS!

If you would like to see a poll like the above I'm sure you could start your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

The poll should be changed to:

1) I have never exceeded the speed limit.
    2) I have intentionally exceeded the speed limit.
    3) I have un-intentionally exceeded the speed limit.

At present the poll is making it look like everyone speeds intentionally.

It's very true that we're all entitled to our own opinion however one should always practice what one preaches! ;)
    You're making the common mistake of mixing up the argument with the person. Arguments are independent of the person making them. Say for example that I tell you that it's dangerous to run red lights. That's an argument, it can stand or fall on its own merits. Whether or not I run red lights on a daily basis myself has zero bearing on the truth of my statement. Kids may get away with the 'but you did it too!!' argument, but that's because they're ... kids.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No "I always speed" option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Never more than about 5 over. For the areas that I drive there are traffic lights about every 30 seconds so there is feck all point.

There are even routes I drive where if someone speeds off from a green light they will always get caught at the next set, while if I stay at the limit it will turn green just before I get there.

kingtut wrote: »
    The poll should be changed to:

1) I have never exceeded the speed limit.
    2) I have intentionally exceeded the speed limit.
    3) I have un-intentionally exceeded the speed limit.

At present the poll is making it look like everyone speeds intentionally.

This is a Black & White Poll - there are no Grey Areas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

This is a Black & White Poll - there are no Grey Areas!

Yes there is! If you are on a motorway in fast moving traffic it is likely that at times you will exceed the speed limit and not necessarily realise it (unless you keep your eyes glued to the speedo). This is a lot different to someone who intentionally speeds because they enjoy driving fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement