Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exceeding The Speed Limit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

So far 4 people claim they dont speed.

The scary thing is that I believe them....huge lacking of driving competence not being able to control a car a few kmph over (some) speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Picked up on something mentioned in another thread earlier and I was astonished to see some people mention that they had never, ever, ever, exceeded a speed limit. Now we all know that speeding is wrong and dangerous but I personally would find it extremely difficult to never exceed the speed limit even by a few kmph!

How many people out there can truly say they have never exceeded a sped limit?

Personally, I draw a distinction between speeding and exceeding the posted speed limit.

I regularly exceed the posted speed limit.
    I rarely "speed" - where I'm not in control of the car or where I'm a danger to myself and others.

I very much doubt that anyone has ever driven without exceeding the speed limit, even if they think they haven't.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    None of the Motoring Mods have voted yet! :D

We're whiter than white, and our horses are the highest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Could have dreamed this, but I think a registered driving instructor told me once that I should drive above 30mph (as it was then) when on a driving test if the conditions were good, even when it's within a 30mph area. It was for progression purposes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does this include non-roads?

Cos I can't seriously believe people only do 5kph in carparks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How about a few more poll options?

Do you speed on a monthly/weekly/daily/hour/more frequent basis :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

We either have 4 people who have never driven currently in the Motors forum. :confused:

Or we actually have four people who are qualified for the high horse brigade. :eek:

Or we have 4 people lie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Never more than about 5 over. For the areas that I drive there are traffic lights about every 30 seconds so there is feck all point.

There are even routes I drive where if someone speeds off from a green light they will always get caught at the next set, while if I stay at the limit it will turn green just before I get there.

Just curious, what road would this be? Because I have found oddly enough that on roads in which you exceed the speed limit you get constant greens....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We either have 4 people who have never driven currently in the Motors forum. :confused:

Or we actually have four people who are qualified for the high horse brigade. :eek:

Or we have 4 people lie :P

Which group do the cyclist brigade belong in? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

-Chris- wrote: »
    I regularly exceed the posted speed limit.
    I rarely "speed" - where I'm not in control of the car or where I'm a danger to myself and others.

If only the RSA/Garda traffic corp had the ability to make this distinction.

The system that sets our speed limits is not flexible but the roads out there vary so much that a set system of speed limits should not be expected to be able to designate proper speed limits to every road in the country.

Therefore limits are too high in places and way too low in places, so the limit ideally should only be a guide and not an enforced law.

The law should go after speeders and not people who happen to break a speed limit that doesn't make sense in the first place

Heroditas wrote: »
    Which group do the cyclist brigade belong in? :pac:

I'd say a lot of cyclists have exceeded the speed limit on their bike too - I know I have!

draffodx wrote: »
    If only the RSA/Garda traffic corp had the ability to make this distinction.

In all honesty, I've been let away with "speeding" more often than I've been punished for it. I do find that gardai use their discretion fairly, by-and-large.

draffodx wrote: »
    The law should go after speeders and not people who happen to break a speed limit that doesn't make sense in the first place

If that doesn't bring out the elevated stallions, I don't know what will! :D

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    Yes there is! If you are on a motorway in fast moving traffic it is likely that at times you will exceed the speed limit and not necessarily realise it (unless you keep your eyes glued to the speedo). This is a lot different to someone who intentionally speeds because they enjoy driving fast.

Start your own poll then.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Just curious, what road would this be? Because I have found oddly enough that on roads in which you exceed the speed limit you get constant greens....

Stillorgan dual carriageway heading out of town. I drop my sis to ucd and on the way back iv gotten all greens up till foxrock church. Other traffic can mess it up. Heading the other way is a joke. Reds pretty much all the way.

Speeding will get you through some of them though. I just love watching people speed to 20 above the limit just to get stuck at the next red light and then I happily sail by them without having to stop. Just seems like a waste of petrol IMO.

Some roads have their lights set up to keep a constant flow of traffic (at certain times) and the calculations are done using the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Start your own poll then.
    No need for that tone.

Anan1 wrote: »
    No need for that tone.

Ah here! It wasn't meant in a narky way. I didn't have time to put it more eloquently

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcclaffs

break it all the time. Irelands finest roads are restricted to 80 kph in places while an old dirt track in culthie ville are 100 kph. Anyone who says "I never never never ....." are lying. They may not speed but it is still breaking speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ah here! It wasn't meant in a narky way. I didn't have time to put it more eloquently
    Pity, it would have saved you typing the above!;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Pity, it would have saved you typing the above!;)

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Break it everytime I drive.

Dont believe those saying they never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Used to stick religiously 'close to' speed limits, but now with the majority of motorists not paying a blind bit of attention to most of them, 'close to' kind of gets further and further away many a times if I'm not to be creating a long tail back of irrate motorists, so now I tend to go with the flow. One flow, a 2 lane rolling traffic jam effectively as far as the eye could see, on the M50 northbound through the road works from toll bridge to M1 where the speed limit is 60k, was rolling at, oh I dont know, to be honest I wasn't actually keeping up with it, I might have been doing 110k and was still the slowest thing on the road and being a rolling chicane with a constant flow of traffic shooting around me, I thought I was going to be rear ended, it would have been suicide to try 60k there.

However, if I'm not being pressurised by a traffic flow, I'll stick religiously close to the limit. Most speed limits are there for a reason.

But ffs, 50 km/h limit currently on the M50 toll bridge northbound, someones really taking the pi55 :rolleyes: - thats an instant accident if someone does actually suddenly slow down to keep their 100% record of never ever breaking the speed limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

smcgiff wrote: »
    Could have dreamed this, but I think a registered driving instructor told me once that I should drive above 30mph (as it was then) when on a driving test if the conditions were good, even when it's within a 30mph area. It was for progression purposes or something.

That s excatly what I v been told as well when I was taking lessons for my driving test.
    Are u in Limerick maybe?:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I'd say a lot of cyclists have exceeded the speed limit on their bike too - I know I have!
    A cyclist can't be done for exceeding the posted speed limit (while riding his bike that is.). He could be done for dangerous riding/driving in certain circumstances.

As a driver, I most certainly have exceeded the speed limit on occasions, but try very hard not to.

Anyone who goes on about '"it's safe to break the speed limit becuase I'm a great driver" does not understand all of the good reasons for speed limits existing & is behaving rather selfishly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Urban areas 50km/h; almost never...if and when I do, by intention, it's never more than 15km/h over and would be on main thouroughfares, not side streets or estates (about 30), in low traffic situations and good conditions.

Extra urban, National and Primary roads 60 - 100km/h; sometimes...well it depends on a lot of factors, road and weather conditions, obviously and posted limit Vs road conditions...ie. if there's a posted limit of 60 or 80 on something relatively straight, dry and devoid of potholes, then I'm doing more than that, usually 15-20 over...conversely where I see limits of 80 and 100 on roads that have no business having them, I'll adjust downwards accordingly.

DCs and motorways 80-120km/h; most times... again, road conditions and traffic allowing, usually I'll be doing MW limit on a 100km/h DC and about 135-140 on the MW, speed traps/cameras notwithstanding. Where imposed limits for works or whatever pop up, I'll go with the flow and do what's safest for the situation.

I'll almost always know what speed I'm doing and will usually know the posted limit, so if I do speed it's not unintentional...I don't know if that's better or worse though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Bobo78 wrote: »
    That s excatly what I v been told as well when I was taking lessons for my driving test.
    Are u in Limerick maybe?:pac::D

Close - Shannon. Had the highest pass rate in the country at the time and needed all the advantage I could get! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

97.42 have admitted to breaking speed limits at least once. Sound like one of the most honest surveys. Would be be perfect but for the other 2%. Think the terrified L driver going at 35kph every makes up about .2% of road users. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Have speeded on occasion, 3am coming back from Airport for example no other cars on the road, otherwise I do like to have the odd 20 second squirt of torque when theres a break in traffic, if there are others around then I stick to the speed limit or just below it and play the MPG game.

A cyclist can't be done for exceeding the posted speed limit (while riding his bike that is.).

That's definitely good to know, not that I was worried :p:D
    Anyone who goes on about '"it's safe to break the speed limit becuase I'm a great driver" does not understand all of the good reasons for speed limits existing & is behaving rather selfishly.

I don't think anyone's said anything that arrogant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No one says that.
    What people do say is that it's safe to break the speed limit* because they are, by and large, far far too low for the conditions that allow, The only speed limits I agree with completely are town and city speed limits. In most cases they're too high tbh.

*Sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I would typically drive at 140kph on motorways, 120kph on 100kph dual carriageways, 100kph on 80kph national routes but always stick to 50kph in residential, city and built up areas. This is depending on the traffic and weather conditions and speeds are as indicated on the speedo. I dont have any points on my licence either and never have in 12 years of driving.

Knowing some of the road traffic engineers personally working for the coco i wouldnt put too much store on their speed limit evaluations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

If I'm honest, I usually translate the km/h speed limit into mp/h and add ten. And the funny thing is I don't have any penalty points. :D Maybe I should slow down a bit though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the last time I could say 'no' on this was when I was 16 and 364 days... well, actually, add a bit of time - I doubt I was doing more than 50km/h when initially learning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement