Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pulled by park ranger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭CR 7

blondie7 wrote: »
    they refer to themselves as Gaurds and not Garda's actually!!

Please stop. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

ah thats b0llocks now everyone at some point in there life has broken the speed limit. get your facts right anan1 i am not whinning about getting a b0llocking over my speed, if a Gaurd pulled me in for it i wouldnt be posting here, my point is that some jumped up little park ranger thinks he has the power to this, so perhaps you should re-read my original post. people like you make me sick always thinking there so bloody perfect!

FFS, it's either Guard or Garda - there's no such thing as a Gaurd.

People like you? What, you mean jumped up little ****s who think it's okay to drive through a busy public park at whatever speed they like?

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Suck it up. No point in criticizing a public servant (whether OPW or Garda Siochána) for pulling you up over that in a place they're entitled to do so. You didn't have to stop - If you didn't, the OPW employee couldn't have done anything about it.

You stopped and got a telling off, and that's what you're reacting to here.

Like I said, you're wrong. Bitching at other people won't change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Anan1 wrote: »
    Explain to me how stating my opinion that it's wrong to speed through a park is political correctness?
    No, VolvoMan, of course I haven't. Never, ever. But go on anyway, tell me how it's relevant.
    If that were true then I doubt she'd be here whining about getting a b*llocking from a park ranger.
    That's what you're discussing. I'll rant and rave about authority too sometimes, but not in defence of somebody who's upset because they got given out to for speeding through the Phoenix Park.

Listen, we'll just put an end to this. Forget about whether the OP was speeding, breaking the law, whatever. The fact and the matter is that nobody has the right other than the Gardai to pull someone over, reprimand them and take their details. The Gardai are the people paid by the government to do this, and therefore are the only ones who have the authority to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, the park ranger sounds like he gets a kick out of his job and thinks he's some authoritative figure. Well he's not. He's just a normal member of Joe republic like the rest of us and has no right to act in the way he did. As a park ranger, he has to answer to our own defence forces like the rest of the country and does not have the right to be answered to himself. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

this thread has got completly out of hand, thank you volvoman you seem to be one of the only people on this thread who actually read my origianal post! people like anan1 put me off this site with there holier than thou attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

In fairness Gil it makes no difference wether the op was doing 60 or 200 the OPW guy had no business pulling her. If he had a problem he should have called the Guards like I'm sure he is supposed to. That kind of carry on bugs me, just like jumped up security guards, bouncers etc.

Now the Op should not have been speeding through the park, that's a really idiotic thing to do but OPW man sped up to catch her instead of doing what he was supposed to do, what if he hit a deer or a child or even Mary herself?

With regards to Anan1 never breaking a speed limit I can say that he never has, in fact one of the questions in the interview to become mod here was if we ever broke the speed limit. If we did we wouldn't get the job

• Advertisement

What??

Word to the wise, if you are going to correct a poster's spelling and/or grammar then make sure you get your correction right otherwise you leave yourself wide open for a delivery of fail

Onkle wrote: »
    With regards to Anan1 never breaking a speed limit I can say that he never has, in fact one of the questions in the interview to become mod here was if we ever broke the speed limit. If we did we wouldn't get the job

reality check people lie all the time

Onkle wrote: »
    Word to the wise, if you are going to correct a poster's spelling and/or grammar then make sure you get your correction right otherwise you leave yourself wide open for a delivery of fail

i apologise i only copped my mistake there!

reality check people lie all the time

Not in those interviews. They really were tough. That DeVore lad has a serious stare and will suss if you are lying
    i apologise i only copped my mistake there!

Don't apologise to me, your own dignity and pride could probably do with a few kind words though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

this thread has got completly out of hand, thank you volvoman you seem to be one of the only people on this thread who actually read my origianal post! people like anan1 put me off this site with there holier than thou attitude

we just put up with those people here. they are quite common and being annoying isn't enough of a reason to ban them. i suppose you could call them trolls really, so just move along and be sure not to feed them

many of them are "militant cyclists" or just urbanites who sit in their apartment all day dreaming and scheming about this idealised vision about how the world should be which basically involves them doing nothing, no inconveniences, driverless cars or preferebly no need to leave the apartment at all, no people to deal with and being plugged into the matrix to play some stupid game they can easily beat to make them feel good about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would be surprised if more than 5% of traffic in the park sticks to the posted speed limits.

Excluding rush hour when you can probably walk faster then drive through the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

he replied he was giving this information over to cabra garda station
    So, that's speeding, reckless driving, illegal imprisonment, intimidation, impersonating a garda officer, a few violations of the data protection act, and perjury. Busy day for an OPW worker.
    Shame you didn't think to record the whole thing on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

he took out his black book (the same ones the gaurds have) and took my reg number and asked me for my name and address. i refused to give him any details as he is not a gaurd and i dont think im obliged in any way to give him any detais about me!

the park rangers are only OPW workers and surely to god have no authority to pull anyone over for speeding,

Interesting reading in both of these:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0031/index.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/si/0006.html

Park constables can be appointed by OPW. It appears to me they can indeed enforce traffic rules and if you refuse to give your name and address they can "without warrant arrest and take into his custody such person" !!

Here are the extracts from the acts:

4. (3) Drivers of vehicles in the Park shall comply with the provisions of these bye-laws and shall conform to such orders for the regulation of traffic in the Park as may be given by any member of the Gárda Síochána or any park constable or contained in any notice by the Commissioners exhibited in the Park.

7.—(1) If any person in the Park and within the view of a park constable does any act which is an offence under any section of this Act or any bye-law made under this Act, or is in contravention of any such bye-law, such park constable, if in uniform, may do both or either of the following things, that is to say:—
    [GA]

( a ) demand from such person his name and address, or

( b ) order such person to leave the Park.

(2) If any such person as aforesaid refuses to give his name or refuses to give his address to a park constable upon demand by, such park constable as aforesaid, or gives a name or address which is known to or reasonably suspected by the park constable to be false or fictitious, the park constable may without warrant arrest and take into his custody such person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

On a separate but similar note, park wardens have also the power to stop and prosecute unauthorized commercial vehicles that illegally pass through the Phoenix park. I presume this would include larger trucks taking short cuts more than smaller vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Let's get to the heart of the matter.

Key questions would be:

1 - What speed were you doing?

2: What was the posted speed limit?

If you were exceeding the speed at '2', what 'god-given' right did you have to do so?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

denat wrote: »
    Roads in the Phoenix Park are State property as opposed to public roads. Try speeeding or dodgy parking on Army property and you'll get exactly the same treatment - they'll warn you and if you're caught again they will call the Civil power ie the Guards.
    Are you saying that the Army have the power to stop your car just like the gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

IIRC, the bye laws for the pHoenix park allow park rangers to monitor and enforce the speed limits.

I think the ranger had every right to pull over the OP for speeding,
    If I am remembering correctly... hes not a jumped up little ****... or whatever else abuse he was called here, but someone legitimately going about his job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Im off to the park later to play games with the park ranger.

Some people seriously need to be taken down a peg or two.

There is no way he could have known she broke the speed limit anyway....or are they equipped with laser eyes to go along with their aura of awesomeness?

Also, its gas that you cant have ever broken the speed limit to be a mod on here....pure lack of driving competency imo...as some speed limits are below what the conditions allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The fact and the matter is that nobody has the right other than the Gardai to pull someone over, reprimand them and take their details. The Gardai are the people paid by the government to do this, and therefore are the only ones who have the authority to do so.

The bye laws of the Phoenix Park say otherwise, so it's not really a fact, it it?

There are also other authorities that can stop, reprimand and take details (and much more), depending on the situation, other than the Gardai. These include Customs Officers, Army personell and Airport Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

also speed limits are there to be broken

Please confirm this is tounge in cheek. If not I hope you do get put off the road for anything at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

In fairness the man said that he was doing 65kph to catch up which means that she was going slower than that i wouldnt really consider that being wreckless or anything like that or how would he even know what speed she was going at he jst said that he was going 65kph not what speed she was going at.

If he said to that he was doing 65kph to catch up to me id ask him if he wanted a medal or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

That's what you're discussing.

No, its what the OP is discussing. Stay on topic.
    This is about the authority of the park ranger not her speed, which cant be proven anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Listen, we'll just put an end to this. Forget about whether the OP was speeding, breaking the law, whatever. The fact and the matter is that nobody has the right other than the Gardai to pull someone over, reprimand them and take their details. The Gardai are the people paid by the government to do this, and therefore are the only ones who have the authority to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, the park ranger sounds like he gets a kick out of his job and thinks he's some authoritative figure. Well he's not. He's just a normal member of Joe republic like the rest of us and has no right to act in the way he did. As a park ranger, he has to answer to our own defence forces like the rest of the country and does not have the right to be answered to himself. End of discussion.
    This: http://www.phoenixpark.ie/about/phoenixparkact/ confirms that the park warden was acting legally and would have been within his rights to arrest the OP. Here's the relevant extract:
    7.—

(1) If any person in the Park and within the view of a park constable does any act which is an offence under any section of this Act or any bye-law made under this Act, or is in contravention of any such bye-law, such park constable, if in uniform, may do both or either of the following things, that is to say:—
    ( a ) demand from such person his name and address, or
    ( b ) order such person to leave the Park.
    (2) If any such person as aforesaid refuses to give his name or refuses to give his address to a park constable upon demand by, such park constable as aforesaid, or gives a name or address which is known to or reasonably suspected by the park constable to be false or fictitious, the park constable may without warrant arrest and take into his custody such person.

Maruney wrote: »
    No, its what the OP is discussing. Stay on topic.
    This is about the authority of the park ranger not her speed, which cant be proven anyway.
    See my last post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

LMFAO

theres a point where a ranger will get sued / slapped for attempting to lay his / her hands on a member of the public. Also can someone clarify do bylaws supercede law

LMFAO

theres a point where a ranger will get sued / slapped for attempting to lay his / her hands on a member of the public.
    Happens the Gardai occasionally too!
    Also can someone clarify do bylaws supercede law
    Is there a law which the PP byelaws are in contravention of? If so, post it up.

Because it's looking from here as though the park ranger was completely within his rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

LMFAO

theres a point where a ranger will get sued / slapped for attempting to lay his / her hands on a member of the public. Also can someone clarify do bylaws supercede law

It's not a bylaw, it's national law. Read the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

im not saying there is. im not a legal eagle but i would think the area that allows me to make a citizens arrest? the part where the ranger disregarded the rules of the road and posted speedlimits to catch up with someone going (by his own amission) marginally over the speed limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The Phoenix Park Act, 1925 give powers of arrest to Park Constables. It also make it lawful for members of an Garda Siochana to be employed in the Park.

The maximum fine is £5 but if you hit him it's £20 and six months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

gnxx wrote: »
    Interesting reading in both of these:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0031/index.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/si/0006.html

Park constables can be appointed by OPW. It appears to me they can indeed enforce traffic rules and if you refuse to give your name and address they can "without warrant arrest and take into his custody such person" !!

Here are the extracts from the acts:

Oh, now you've gone and done it. You just had to post facts that are there in plain English. No doubt someone will tell you to get off your high horse too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement