Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pulled by park ranger

Options
  • 28-07-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

i was driving through the phoenix park today and the park ranger came up behind me and flashed his lights at me so i pulled in thinking he wanted to overtake me for some urgent reason but he pulled up in front of me and got out of the jeep. he came up to my window and started saying he had to do 65kmp to catch up with me and said the speed limit was 50kmp. he took out his black book (the same ones the gaurds have) and took my reg number and asked me for my name and address. i refused to give him any details as he is not a gaurd and i dont think im obliged in any way to give him any detais about me! i told him if he was so great then do a PULSE check on my reg and he would find out who i am. he replied he was giving this information over to cabra garda station and i told him to do what he likes as they cant summons me without proof that i was in fact breaking the speed limit.

the park rangers are only OPW workers and surely to god have no authority to pull anyone over for speeding, its the same thing as me pulling over any other person for speeding on a public road! has anyone else ever been stoped by the park ranger for something similar??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

blondie7 wrote: »
    i was driving through the phoenix park today and the park ranger came up behind me and flashed his lights at me so i pulled in thinking he wanted to overtake me for some urgent reason but he pulled up in front of me and got out of the jeep. he came up to my window and started saying he had to do 65kmp to catch up with me and said the speed limit was 50kmp. he took out his black book (the same ones the gaurds have) and took my reg number and asked me for my name and address. i refused to give him any details as he is not a gaurd and i dont think im obliged in any way to give him any detais about me! i told him if he was so great then do a PULSE check on my reg and he would find out who i am. he replied he was giving this information over to cabra garda station and i told him to do what he likes as they cant summons me without proof that i was in fact breaking the speed limit.

the park rangers are only OPW workers and surely to god have no authority to pull anyone over for speeding, its the same thing as me pulling over any other person for speeding on a public road! has anyone else ever been stoped by the park ranger for something similar??

Jobsworth tbh.

If he wants to give your details to the guards all he needs is your reg. Also he admitted to doing 65 to catch up with you? You should report him for speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Clippidy Clop Clippidy Clop. Hear them coming?

I had some Bord Failte employee try to tell me I could not stop on the side of the road by the Cliffs of Moher to answer the phone. I asked him what authority he had and he said in a booming theatrical voice " I am empowered by Clare County Council to ticket and cars parked on these roads".

I kept inching backwards and forwards to p*ss him off.

I was also annoyed he interrupted my phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

wont somebody please think of the deer:eek:

he cant just give your reg number to the gardai and expect them to ticket you for speeding,as you say he has no proof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Onkle wrote: »
    Also he admitted to doing 65 to catch up with you? You should report him for speeding

:D

Had a garda say he had to do 80mph to catch up with me, i said "well you were traveling in the opposite direction and turned back to follow me, of course you had to drive a lot faster than me to catch up", he couldn't argue and i just though it was the stupidest comment a garda could make. What has his speed "to catch up" got to do with the speed i was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

im fumming with myself that i didnt take his name and reg number and report him for impersonating gaurd!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Not a reason to do 65 Kmh in Phoenix Park though if I may comment.
    There are kids etc.

Those guards are also here to insure the security of the public in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I know what i'd have told him. Jobsworth is an understatement bet ya he watched dog the bounty hunter !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have no statutory authourity to enforce traffic laws. That is what the Gardaí are for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps he pulled you on suspicion of having stolen a Pic-a-nic basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They have no statutory authourity to enforce traffic laws. That is what the Gardaí are for.
    Is the road through the Phoenix Park a public road? Could park bye-laws not apply here? Just thinking aloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps he pulled you on suspicion of having stolen a Pic-a-nic basket?

Ho ho! Smarda dan de aver-age bear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Alun wrote: »
    Is the road through the Phoenix Park a public road? Could park bye-laws not apply here? Just thinking aloud.

the only authority they have is regards to denying access to commercial vehicles as quoted below in the Phoenix Park bye laws. They have zero authority to stop a vehicle like they did and quite frankly that park ranger is lucky the OP didnt take it further as he'd find himself in quite a bit of trouble on a few front there:

4. (1) Save with the permission in writing of the Commissioners no vehicle other than vehicles used solely for the conveyance of passengers (not including omnibuses or charabanes) shall be admitted to the Park.
    mick.fr wrote: »

There are kids etc.

regardless of which , they are not entitled to act the vigilante in the manner they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP - there can't be too many park rangers let alone loads working at the same time. Find out who's department they fall over and give a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've seen them go a bit 'militant' since they got their new fleet about a year ago.

I think they lost their original powers of arrest in the park in the 1950's.

Even so, 65kph? Take it easy, OP, think of the kids, deer, dogs, doggers, jogging guards, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

Good girl.
    Maybe he taught you were hot and wanted to stalk you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

ITake it easy, OP, think of the kids, deer, dogs, doggers, jogging guards, etc.

:eek:was the OP near the holy cross car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Slumlion wrote: »
    Good girl.

That's what I thought when I read the title. Wondering what park rangers have that the rest of us don't. Did he have a big gun? Cool wheels?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even so, 65kph? Take it easy, OP, think of the kids, deer, dogs, doggers, jogging guards, etc.

Umm...

If Dog The Bounty Hunter here managed to catch up at 65kph it stands to reason that Blondie was going slower than 65kph :P

Either that or the laws of physics really don't apply in Phoenix after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mick.fr wrote: »
    There are kids etc.

+1, whatever about the legal position I have zero sympathy for the OP. It's a park, FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

You're a little on your high horse here though aren't you? The main point the OP is trying to make (from what I can see) is the actions of the park ranger. So what if they were doing a million miles an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Slumlion wrote: »
    Good girl.

Oh dear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just to point out - the OP was doing an indicated 65kmph. That could be anywhere from 55 to 60.

Hardly gonna win the park races this year, is it?

On a different note, i'd have followed him around until you spotted a Garda car, and then reported him for Impersonation. Tell them you thought he was the Phoenix Park Axe Murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Random wrote: »
    You're a little on your high horse here though aren't you? The main point the OP is trying to make (from what I can see) is the actions of the park ranger. So what if they were doing a million miles an hour?
    On this point the OP may well be correct. If a cyclist or a jogger or a walker or a child had threatened to report her, they may not have been on solid legal ground either. But we live in a very strange world if pointing out that speeding through parks is wrong qualifies as being on ones high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Was he wearing his hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Forget about the behaviour of the Park WARDEN.

Lets stick to the meat, were ou speeding or not????

In fairness if you speed in the Park you speed on the public road also.

I'd say he was just trying to give you a fright.

You need to moderate your driving behaviour , see Road Safety Authority.

And as a previous poster mentioned, Joggers, Cyclists, Walkers, not to mention the Deer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to stable those horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You are subject to bye laws when you enter the park - and he's entitled to pull you over.

'Drivers of vehicles in the Park shall comply with the provisions of these bye-laws and shall conform to such orders for the regulation of traffic in the Park as may be given by any member of the Gárda Síochána or any park constable or contained in any notice by the Commissioners exhibited in the Park.'

I presume he's more than entitled to pull you over based on this provision. Theres also a maximum fine of 5 pounds!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

i told him to do what he likes as they cant summons me without proof that i was in fact breaking the speed limit

Why not. They can summons you to court and the Warden can state that he followed you at a speed of 65kph or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

TBH, I wouldnt have pulled over for anything other than a Garda car. There's too many wierdo's and people out there who seem to be completely blind an mistakenly shoot someone in the face, only to realise its the wrong person*.

I'd have left him behind me, he can flash his lights all he wants.

*Slightly OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

kdevitt wrote: »

I presume he's more than entitled to pull you over based on this provision. Theres also a maximum fine of 5 pounds!! :D

€6.37, :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement