Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here comes a racism debate

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

This video was created for SARI - Sports Against Racism Ireland, but SARI decided not to use it.
    This is an Ad we shot for Sports Against Racism Ireland.

The premise was simple, and easily understood if you watch the ad. In recent years, Ireland has enjoyed a huge influx of different cultures, as the economy boomed and immigration laws were relaxed to help meet the employment surplus.

Sadly, during this process, we learned, as a nation, that we were not as tolerant as we thought and there has been some racial prejudice. SARI is a non-profit body that aims to eliminate some or this and promote cultural understanding through sport activity.

This is a TV spot due for TX in Ireland during July/August, 09.

Any opinion other than some of those who've decided to comment on the video are a bit opinionated for my liking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

"It does not matter if one is black nor white" - Michael 'Pedobear' Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Where's the debate coming from? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

dsmythy wrote: »

Chinato... Funky Town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aparently some neo-nazi website got hold of it with predictiable results. Liveline will be talking about this after they have done with Croagh Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

I reckon 95% of the comments there are from the 6 different members of Stormfront Ireland. Sure I have about 3 accounts on there lol, i think people just take the piss on it.

Some reporter 'infiltrated' a Nazi gathering a while back. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I love this video, absolutely perfect. As to racism in Ireland what can we do other than correct people when we hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Racism is one thing, what I'd like to know is how he got Patsys mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I guess the debate would have been whether what the recent visitors to our shores is comparable to what the Irish suffered when abroad in the 1900's..

Maybe not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Uh... Racism. My favourite subject. Lets debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I laugh at racist jokes. I make racist jokes. They can be really funny when they're taking the piss out of stereotypes.

People that take them seriously are undoubtedly fcuking idiots though.
    Anybody that judges a person purely on what country they came from or what they genetically look like is a cunt, simply.

• Advertisement

connundrum wrote: »
    I guess the debate would have been whether what the recent visitors to our shores is comparable to what the Irish suffered when abroad in the 1900's..

Maybe not though.

When the Irish went to the New World(mainly the USA-New York) they worked for less than the black people that were already there abut then also set up trade unions that didn't allow any black people to join. Imagine that happening here :eek:

books like how the 'irish became white' deal with this.

although it has to be said many black people in usa would have irish ancestry due to living side by side Irish in slums.

connundrum wrote: »

Maybe not though.

Obviously there is some comparability given the similar circumstance in which such people find themselves. No real debate there. Maybe on severity there is one? On severity i'd say time is your yardstick. The further back to the past you go the worse it was. Using that scale an economic migrant going to a country today is in better shape than one arriving in an earlier year, and so on down the ages you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im white so racism only exists in other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I laugh at racist jokes. I make racist jokes. They can be really funny when they're taking the piss out of stereotypes.

Racist jokes are GREAT! Check these out:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/omalley/120/alien/three.html

What do I think of people, who are claiming that they are discriminated against. Eejits. They blame other people for their misfortune and tis very handy to blame them if your skin colour is different or you're other nationality, gives great advantage.

Like this chap in video. Saying he's having trouble getting a proper work. Maybe the problem is in his qualification and suitability for this "proper work"?
    He says like they don't want "his kind wherever he goes". What kind? Low skilled labourer? (haven't seen a black person on construction site ever). Or he wants to be CEO of some kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PeterLT wrote: »
    What do I think of people, who are claiming that they are discriminated against. Eejits. They blame other people for their misfortune and tis very handy to blame them if your skin colour is different or you're other nationality, gives great advantage.

Like this chap in video. Saying he's having trouble getting a proper work. Maybe the problem is in his qualification and suitability for this "proper work"?
    He says like they don't want "his kind wherever he goes". What kind? Low skilled labourer? (haven't seen a black person on construction site ever). Or he wants to be CEO of some kind?
    LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMM BLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Ask me ballix;)

PeterLT wrote: »

I think you lost the point of the video there Peter. He's reading a mock letter that's meant to be written by an Irish person in England. This point is not revealed until the end of the video until which you are presuming the guy in the video is relaying his own personal experience in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fratton playing a blinder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I see the Socratic discourse is already in full swing over on youtube:

sirhcelah (2 days ago)
    i try to make vides for year's this is very high quality ie propaganda and thanks to the blasphemous laws they can let all the Turkish Muslims in after lisbom now theyer going to ingect us all for the swine flu they manufactured people in in suites and uniforms have no more rights than you only know more so research thats how to beat them god knows we have plentey of time now weer all unemployed thanks to cheep labor

I think you lost the point of the video there Peter. He's reading a mock letter that's meant to be written by an Irish person in England. This point is not revealed until the end of the video until which you are presuming the guy in the video is relaying his own personal experience in Ireland.

Yes I did miss the point initially. Still I think it's wrong to play a racism card, especially here in Ireland and I know a lot of people who do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Racism its one of those things unfortunate to have in every country I never really understood or care to understand it..

Ive worked with a Nigerian, probably one of the funnest weed smoken big ganja stoned head on him he was sound. Worked with a Chinese girl and she was really cool easy to talk to, really helpfull. Worked with Irish people and they where all a bunch of be grudger's and narrow minded ...

Ok granted in any race your going to have the chancers screwing the system its ever more apparent now a days...
    Tho with that theres a more interesting cultures in Ireland in general we have access to more interesting food's and Culture's. Which is really cool..I like walking through Dublin and seeing black lady's walking along in all that colourfull stuff they wear makes the street vibrant.. just makes me crack up and smile in a good way...

The funny thing is we harp on about other race's, tho one thing ive noticed is that you never seen a Nigerian or Chinese messed up on heroin on a street corner begging or at the luas you always see some whitescum bag begging but thats ok to the bone heads of Irish society, at least other nations immigrants refuges have some degree of self respect bar the, Romanian gypsy's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Can't we all just get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

The premise was simple, and easily understood if you watch the ad. In recent years, Ireland has enjoyed a huge influx of different cultures, as the economy boomed and immigration laws were relaxed to help meet the employment surplus.

Eh? That's jumping to assumptions. I don't remember being asked if I wanted a policy of uncapped immigration into my country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Napoli wrote: »
    Eh? That's jumping to assumptions. I don't remember being asked if I wanted a policy of uncapped immigration into my country.

we all slipped in whilst you were busy riding the Celtic Tiger

Immigration most certainly was capped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Napoli wrote: »

Why do we need to ask your permission? Are you Mary McAleese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Personally I think the ad needs subtitles...but that would probably defeat the purpose...

• Advertisement

Racism its one of those things unfortunate to have in every country I never really understood or care to understand it..

Ive worked with a Nigerian, probably one of the funnest weed smoken big ganja stoned head on him he was sound. Worked with a Chinese girl and she was really cool easy to talk to, really helpfull. Worked with Irish people and they where all a bunch of be grudger's and narrow minded ...

The funny thing is we harp on about other race's, tho one thing ive noticed is that you never seen a Nigerian or Chinese messed up on heroin on a street corner begging or at the luas you always see some whitescum bag begging

Yeah Irish people are apparantly evil. All of them...

Black people make up about 1% of the Irish population so if you saw them en masse on the streets like that i'd be worried. The population is slightly higher in Dublin but many of those counted are not even teenagers yet. Only ever came across two instances of black people being addicts on the street. Once up near Merrion square one asked if i could 'spare some change for a brother' and was clearly off his head on something, the other time on Dorset street this large dishevelled black guy slumping over a wall murdering bottles of cider. So yeah it is pretty rare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement