Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here comes a racism debate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Wertz wrote: »
    Personally I think the ad needs subtitles...but that would probably defeat the purpose...

Agreed. I couldn't understand a word the foreigner was saying.

Anyone care to give me the jist of the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

LOL the guy was born and reared here, he put on that accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dsmythy wrote: »
    Only ever came across two instances of black people being addicts on the street. Once up near Merrion square one asked if i could 'spare some change for a brother' and was clearly off his head on something, the other time on Dorset street this large dishevelled black guy slumping over a wall murdering bottles of cider. .

integration in all its glory. In a year's time it'll be 'any spaaaare odds bud...?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

LOL the guy was born and reared here, he put on that accent.

So what did that achieve?

I'm starting to see why this ad is on youtube and not on the telly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yeah Irish people are apparantly evil. All of them...

Do you want a stick of dynamite so you can blow everything out of proportion?
    I never said all of them, I said the people Ive worked granted some what of a generalization to a high degree but to a degree its pretty true we are a bunch of begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Ive worked with a Nigerian, probably one of the funnest weed smoken big ganja stoned head on him he was sound. Worked with a Chinese girl and she was really cool easy to talk to, really helpfull. Worked with Irish people and they where all a bunch of be grudger's and narrow minded ...
    Do you want a stick of dynamite so you can blow everything out of proportion?
    I never said all of them, I said the people Ive worked granted some what of a generalization to a high degree but to a degree its pretty true we are a bunch of begrudgers.

That's what you said. Perhaps you can understand why i reached for that stick of dynamite.

I've lost all respect for the word "begrudger". It's so overused today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

That's what you said. Perhaps you can understand why i reached for that stick of dynamite.

I've lost all respect for the word "begrudger". It's so overused today.

I see your point, but did attempt, to be a diplomatic as possible obvously some points I skipped/missed..

That depends how often you have to experience the the lovely phrase "It's well for ya " :rolleyes: In that lovely knarky tone used bye some folk...

Racist jokes are GREAT! Check these out:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/omalley/120/alien/three.html

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Racist jokes are GREAT! Check these out:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/omalley/120/alien/three.html

Very Interesting alright.

Its amazing that back in the day racist propeganda likened irish people to being apes and subhuman. Looking back now we laugh but i wouldn't be suprised if current racists see black people, asians and people from different races in the same light, its ridiculous how retarded people can be.

Hazys wrote: »
    Very Interesting alright.

Its amazing that back in the day racist propeganda likened irish people to being apes and subhuman. Looking back now we laugh but i wouldn't be suprised if current racists see black people, asians and people from different races in the same light, its ridiculous how retarded people can be.

Back then it was the majority mood. These days it's confined to actual racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

latenia wrote: »
    I see the Socratic discourse is already in full swing over on youtube:

Oh, I know you are, but what am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

what a great video op. my only problem is that it is aimed at sporting organisations (correct me if i'm wrong) but most racism by way of joke or comment is in work, the factory floor, pub, the street and never gets heard by its intended target. i'm not sure this video would make much difference if it were broadcast on tv.
    i would like to know what are the levels of racism in the African continent - black against black and black against white, any report?

live and let live

racism against white south africans and other black african immigrants is common in south africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Racism is bad.

Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Irish people who moan about other Irish people are the worst wankers of the lot.

We are great,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Maybe he cant find a job because his accent is very hard to understand, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

omerin wrote: »
    i would like to know what are the levels of racism in the African continent - black against black and black against white, any report?

good question, ask Robert :pac:

omerin wrote: »

Dunno about the overall levels but in Liberia you can't be a citizen or own property if you're not black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Dunno about the overall levels but in Liberia you can't be a citizen or own property if you're not black.

I really wonder where and who they copied that from :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

PaulieD wrote: »
    Maybe he cant find a job because his accent is very hard to understand, just a thought.

Nice one.but just as comprehensible as the Irish accent was understood when they moved to the US tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Irish people who moan about other Irish people are the worst wankers of the lot.

We are great,
    We're no greater or less greater than any other nation of people in the world, but yes, it's retardedly pathetic when Irish people whinge about how "we" are this and "we" are that. I really fail to understand how "we" are begrudgers. Sure... some Irish people are, like anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

I'm sick of this "you can't generalise" argument. It's weak and pathetic imo.

Does that mean you can't say the Nazis were cruel and inhumane because "you can't paint everyone with the same brush"? I'm sure some of them were nice deep down and were only doing their job to feed their family.
    /liberal BS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

I think you lost the point of the video there Peter. He's reading a mock letter that's meant to be written by an Irish person in England. This point is not revealed until the end of the video until which you are presuming the guy in the video is relaying his own personal experience in Ireland.

I got the fact that it was a letter written by an Irish person very shortly in the video and it's by an Irish immigrant in America after the famine.
    Pretty sure it was a genuine letter written decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

PeterLT wrote: »
    Yes I did miss the point initially. Still I think it's wrong to play a racism card, especially here in Ireland and I know a lot of people who do that.

Funnily enough the group that plays the racism card most often is a native-born group.

Demonique wrote: »
    I got the fact that it was a letter written by an Irish person very shortly in the video and it's by an Irish immigrant in America after the famine.
    Pretty sure it was a genuine letter written decades ago.

Yeah i just copped the baseball connection now. You're likely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The End Of Days

Funnily enough the group that plays the racism card most often is a native-born group.

I'm up with that sh1t nigga. You know what's up?

That's what's up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I'm up with that sh1t nigga. You know what's up?

That's what's up!

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

dont agree with him but... discrimination DOES works both ways

found this searching for nation of islam (their mad.... like scientology but with more muslim values than christian ones) while looking up various cults years ago
    WHITE " Pride"
    Michael Richards makes his point..............
    Michael Richards better known as Kramer from TVs Seinfeld does make a good point.
    This was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act. He makes some very interesting points...
    Someone finally said it. How many are actually paying attention to this?

begging of rant..... well thought out
    There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc.

And then there are just Americans. You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... and that's OK.

But when I call you, ******, Kike, Towel head, Sand-******, Camel Jockey, Beaner, ****, or Chink ... You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you... so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United ngero college Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day.

You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP. You have BET... If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.

Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... You know we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US . Yet if there were 'White colleges', that would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists??

and that has what to do with ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

I have never heard of an Irish person in Ireland, playing the race card. Strange comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement