Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert = Easiest thing ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Im gonna admit that it definitely wasn't as hard as I was expecting tbh but I certainly wouldn't come on a public forum bragging about it and predicting my points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Well,First Arts is miles easier.
    But the actual exams are fairly doable on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

andyman wrote: »
    I've been saying it for the last 3 years - English needs to be split up into English Language and English Literature, making English Language compulsory.
    This would be interesting. I can see half of my year failing if there was to be an oral exam. I know I dont have great grammar myself but, jaysus. The supposed mother tongue of some of my classmates doesnt seem to be the most developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Shut up OP.
    I know your type. Shut up.

S'like this.
    I got fairly high points last year and many people assumed I spent every waking moment with my nose in a book. NotSoMuch.
    I know a few very dedicated students who were completely focused on their studies and I did nothing in comparison to them. I did study, especially in the last short while before the exams, but my study:dossing ratio tipped in favour of dossing very much so.
    Feels like I did feck all. I mean, I DID feck all in my mind. But compared to true "SHUR WHY WOULD I BE SHTUDYIN WHEN I CAN BE OFFMY FAYSH BAI?" people, I studied.

OP, you did study. Yes, you did.
    You just didn't study as much as other people and your natural intelligence/ sponge-like ability to remember crap from class or w/e is tiding you over nicely.

So stop being such an arrogant cnut and realise that you, in fact, donthaveanotionwhatyoureonaboutkthxbai.

(I'm in a really bitchy mood. Does it show?)

bythewoods wrote: »

Not at all.:) (:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Must say I agree abit with bythewoods (but I wouldn't be so mean about it :P). I've heard people say this alot and I just immediately think "bullshítter..." You HAVE to have worked abit, you didn't just sit on your hole and do it, and don't make it out that way. TBH I thought the OP was a troll when I first read.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So stop being such an arrogant cnut and realise that you, in fact, donthaveanotionwhatyoureonaboutkthxbai.

Prof. Moody, we do not use transfiguration as a punishment call people arrogant cnuts around here!

Thank the lateness of the hour and my very good mood for sparing you an infraction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thank the lateness of the hour and my very good mood for sparing you an infraction!

I'm afraid it's Monday morning for me
    Bythewoods infracted

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JW91 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be arrogant but did anyone find the leaving cert to be really easy?

I wouldn't say it's easy no but if you do the work and study hard then yes it's easier and you make life easy for yourself.
    I did virtually no study, and I had a fairly relaxed attitude about homework. I'd say I did homework about half of the time and I did basicly no study.

IMO anybody who says something like this has done plenty of study and plenty of revision and homework. If you didn't then that was your choice but surely you had to have done something.
    But desite this I still flew through the exams. They were simple. I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 550 points.

Do you mean you finished them early or you found them to be a breeze? If you get what you want then fair play and if you don't you know what the problem is. You can say you found the exams easy and if you don't get the points you wanted you've only yourself to blame.
    Why do people get so stressed out about it? There's no need to get worked up. about it It's a very straight forward set of exams.

People get stressed out about the LC every year because teachers and some peers make it out to be the most important thing ever. I'm not saying it's not important but there are bigger things in life than it. People just have to try and get on top of things from the word go and it'll make life so much easier. I would implore anyone reading this who is going into 5th year to start the work now instead of cramming it all in during the last few months of 6th year.

I didn't get stressed over the exams but people do. Some tend to over react I will admit but just let them at it. It's your LC and nobody elses at the end of the day. It's an individual thing which only you can work towards.

OP if you get your points when the results are released then fair play to you but if you do horrendously bad then you know what you didn't do.

Again anyone going into 5th year or indeed 6th year reading this, don't fall into the trap of not studying. Anyone who says they aren't studying etc is most likely lying so don't go along with friends if they say that. Do your own work and don't let anybody distract you from it.

Best of luck to those going into 6th year and the leaving cert cycle and best of luck to those waiting for impending results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Well I'm the OP and I can see this didn't go down well at all. In answer to the person who asked why I didn't reply, the simple answer is, I completely forgot about it. I was devastated after the hurling yesterday in Thurles and this thread just slipped my mind.

Obviously I don't mean it's the easiest thing ever. Just i found it easy relative to all the hype that surrounds it.

A lot of people think I studied but I didn't. I just retain information well I suppose. I suppose I'm lucky to have that ability.

The key with the leaving cert (as far as I can see anyway) is staying calm. For example many of you went crazy after the incident with the English paper but in reality that wasn't a big deal at all. It didn't make any difference really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

A lot of people think I studied but I didn't. I just retain information well I suppose. I suppose I'm lucky to have that ability.

:mad:Yeah you might be lucky alright but everyone hates you:mad:

You only posted this thread to antagonize people who worked there ass off. SHAME ON YOU!!

I know alot of people who worked there behind off and said to me then they only expect between 350 and 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well I'm the OP and I can see this didn't go down well at all. In answer to the person who asked why I didn't reply, the simple answer is, I completely forgot about it. I was devastated after the hurling yesterday in Thurles and this thread just slipped my mind.

Obviously I don't mean it's the easiest thing ever. Just i found it easy relative to all the hype that surrounds it.

The key with the leaving cert (as far as I can see anyway) is staying calm. For example many of you went crazy after the incident with the English paper but in reality that wasn't a big deal at all. It didn't make any difference really.

It's a stressful time for all those sitting the exams. I think you did study tbh and there's no way you can get 550 without doing so unless you've a photographic memory.

The LC should be balanced out in the ratio of 60:40. The 60 is for work and study while the 40 is for personal relaxation so you don't get too bogged down and become stressed out.

It can't be all study and no play but it can't be all play and no study. Sure all your friends must have been inside studying themselves most of the time. Even if you didn't work hard at studying then you should have at least revised a little to back yourself up a bit.

Whereas I think the leaving cert was a little overhyped,
    without the hype, I would have done miserably because it pushed me to work.

Its not all its cracked up to be, but dont let anyone tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I also have the ability to retain information easily, however in order to do this I have to read/be told the information at least once. When we expose ourselves to this information its called studying, so you did in fact study, even if not very much compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nightsky

Op I hope your spelling and punctuation were better in your exams.
    Robbie 998 though took the biscuit with egsaturate,hilarious!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lol, whether or not the OP is 'book smart' (personally I'd prefer 'LC smart' as 'book smart' is a tad smarter IMO =P), the fact s/he started this thread shows s/he has a lot to learn yet...

@ the people saying you can't do well without studying / all those people are liers:
    It is not impossible. I did extremely well in the leaving in 07 while averaging twenty mins or less study on top of homework per day. That is totally true, but it's far from the whole story! I was extremely lucky, I chose subjects I was well suited to (mathematical mind + 4 science subjects = win) and I had excellent teachers, which insured my homework was relevant and a good measure of my ability. I was also always awake and focused in class, so I didn't need to go over things I had learned already at home. So no, I didn't do much study for the leaving, but I did plenty of work and I wouldn't deny that or act as if I have some kind of ability to absorb information without any effort...

@ those going into fifth or sixth year:
    The key is knowing yourself. I'd always advise strongly against counting or comparing hours of study. time spent does not equal work done or goals achieved. Concentrate on what you know, and especially on what you don't. If you feel you know all you need to know for the stage you're at, try some appropriate questions and you'll soon know for sure. Do not settle for 'having an idea' of the answer, be sure. The next time, you'll know if you you really do know all you need to, and you'll be able to trust your own judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

kthxbai.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Hate to break it to you Cocoa but averaging 20 mins study per day on top of homework IS an awful lot of studying in my book.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you Cocoa but averaging 20 mins study per day on top of homework IS an awful lot of studying in my book.
    Really?
    Id hardly manage to get anything done in twenty minutes. I think thats hardly any time tbh.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Really?
    Id hardly manage to get anything done in twenty minutes. I think thats hardly any time tbh.

Average 20 mins. ON TOP of homework. Thats 1hr40 a week of extra study. Thats a lot over 2 years.

• Advertisement

That's nice you have such a wonderful attitude and feel the need to 'break' such things to people. I'd point out that I never mentioned how long my homework took me, or that I said twenty mins or less, but I doubt it would have any effect...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The key with the leaving cert (as far as I can see anyway) is staying calm.
    That bit I agree with you about.

Staying calm and focused is definitely a core skill for any exams.
    Average 20 mins. ON TOP of homework. Thats 1hr40 a week of extra study. Thats a lot over 2 years.
    It's not a huge investment really imho ...
    cocoa wrote: »
    That's nice you have such a wonderful attitude and feel the need to 'break' such things to people.
    Deep breaths, count to 100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

blogga wrote: »
    Yeah, the Leaving Cert has been dumbed down a lot. 17 times easier to get good grades now I hear. Really dumbed down to make things, well, simple.

I don't agree it's been dumbed down by "17 times" altho it's certainly been dumbed down. For example this yrs french exam was piss easy (from a student who did honors for 4 months) compared to even 5 yrs ago. Espeacially the comps. and Aural.

and btw no I didnt find the LC "easy".

Deep breaths, count to 100!

Or watch the 'Horn do wat he does best*!!!

*with a woma/en

That's nice you have such a wonderful attitude and feel the need to 'break' such things to people. I'd point out that I never mentioned how long my homework took me, or that I said twenty mins or less, but I doubt it would have any effect...

Hmm charming. I don't care how long your homework took or indeed how much study you did. I'm making the point that 20 mins on top of study is a huge average over the two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's an average of.... 20 mins a day.... :pac:

lol, the LC forum is the same as it was 2 years ago when I was doing mine. Suggest that the LC is something other than a hugely stressful event that requires you to effectively give up 2 years of your life, requiring constant study, if you want to do very well, just results in abuse and begrudgery. (Admittedly, I did exploit this fact to troll on here :p )

With the hype surrounding the LC and the existence of grind schools, revision etc., I often found myself thinking along the lines of the OP. I felt that with the actual content of the exams, there was no need for anywhere near as much hype, and I found the LC industry of grind schools, revision books etc. to be outrageous for something that simply required one to sit down and do some study.

Terms like "virtually no study" are subjective and relative, and probably should be avoided. I often felt I did much less study than other people I knew who were going for over 550, and yet I achieved around the same as most of them. I suspect this is what the OP is trying to express, and they shouldn't be subject to abuse because they want to discuss this.

...97...98...99...100!
    Hmm charming. I don't care how long your homework took or indeed how much study you did. I'm making the point that 20 mins on top of study is a huge average over the two years.

:confused::rolleyes:

Pity I didn't realise my powers of prediction were so strong back when I did the LC or I could have done so much less study...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    lol, the LC forum is the same as it was 2 years ago when I was doing mine. Suggest that the LC is something other than a hugely stressful event that requires you to effectively give up 2 years of your life, requiring constant study, if you want to do very well, just results in abuse and begrudgery.

I don't agree.
    I'm not one such person, who believed the LC wasn't the utter be all and end all, I just detest the OP's complete arrogance when it's clear he has merely misinterpreted the word "study".
    Terms like "virtually no study" are subjective and relative, and probably should be avoided.
    Exxxxactly.
    I often felt I did much less study than other people I knew who were going for over 550, and yet I achieved around the same as most of them. I suspect this is what the OP is trying to express, and they shouldn't be subject to abuse because they want to discuss this.

I did a lot less work than a lot of people who did worse than me/ will do worse than me.
    Doesn't mean the LC is some sort of a stroll in the park.

The OP expressed himself poorly, and I took him up on this.

(I know your reply wasn't even aimed at my post, I just thought it was a good'un)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't agree.
    I'm not one such person, who believed the LC wasn't the utter be all and end all, I just detest the OP's complete arrogance when it's clear he has merely misinterpreted the word "study".
    I don't agree that arrogance is always the case when someone just wants to discuss how they think something is easier than it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I don't agree that arrogance is always the case when someone just wants to discuss how they think something is easier than it's made out to be.

Look who's talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Look who's talking.

Alright, no need for personal jabs here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement