Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert = Easiest thing ever?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm not trying to be arrogant but did anyone find the leaving cert to be really easy?

I did virtually no study, and I had a fairly relaxed attitude about homework. I'd say I did homework about half of the time and I did basicly no study. But desite this I still flew through the exams. They were simple. I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 550 points.

Why do people get so stressed out about it? There's no need to get worked up. about it It's a very straight forward set of exams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I hope you fail!

But on a serious note i did 1 weeks study in total for the leaving and got 455 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good man your book smart, you can read a book and know it off then. Some people can't, actually I'd say most people can't.

Get over yourself, people have different levels of what they know. And for what my opinion is you're either book smart or intelligent/street wise and well I know I'm the latter, which I'm God damed pleased to be. Most people I've come across dont't have both and once you go into the real world well book smartness probably will be of little use.

*Hopes for his 300 points and C3 in Maths come 12 August*:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Leaving Cert = easiest thing EVER? Really?
    Of all the things that have ever existed, the Leaving Cert is the easiest?
    I would say no.
    JW91 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be arrogant but did anyone find the leaving cert to be really easy?
    Yes, a few people probably did.
    Most people, presumably, would have found it some bit challenging.
    I did virtually no study, and I had a fairly relaxed attitude about homework. I'd say I did homework about half of the time and I did basicly no study. But desite this I still flew through the exams. They were simple. I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 550 points.
    Why are you telling us all this?
    Are you looking for congratulations?
    Did you just come here to boast or do you actually want a serious discussion about the level of difficulty involved in the Leaving Cert? :confused:
    Why do people get so stressed out about it? There's no need to get worked up. about it

People get worked up about it because the points you get in your Leaving Cert determine whether you can or cannot do your first choice college course.
    You say you think you got around 550: would you have such a nonchalant attitude if you were aiming for 580+?

Again, I must wonder why you're writing this. Do you expect people who are extremely anxious waiting for their results to all of a sudden go "Oh, silly me. I shouldn't be nervous at all."? Of course the Leaving Cert is NOT the be all and end all (I cannot stress that enough) but it's still a fairly important set of exams. It's only natural that students will feel a little nervous about getting their results.
    It's a very straight forward set of exams.
    Anyone who did last year's Accounting exam may disagree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

slightly agree with the knob mod

but to answer your original query

i did the L.C this year and i did no study what so ever and found the exams to be a can of piss ! very easy no worries and people egsaturate too much :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

OP will probably get 200 points

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People have different strengths -some are book smart, some are street smart, some are people smart.

Even more know how many points you get in your Leaving doesn't actually say anything important about you.

Boasting about expected points on the internet for no other reason than to say how easy you found it says quite a lot about someone.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    slightly agree with the knob mod

Infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Why do people get so stressed out about it? There's no need to get worked up. about it It's a very straight forward set of exams.

Yeah, the Leaving Cert has been dumbed down a lot. 17 times easier to get good grades now I hear. Really dumbed down to make things, well, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Well I wouldn't say it was that easy!
    I did mine this year, and I was stressed!! every time I tried to study I kept worry I wasn't studying the proper stuff, so in all i say I got a week of study done!
    But **** it what can ya do!! Just hope I get the grade I need to get into the college/course I want

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i did the L.C this year and i did no study what so ever and found the exams to be a can of piss ! very easy no worries and people egsaturate too much :rolleyes:
    Including English? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

At a risk of being ridiculed,I'd say subjects are more interesting now,a wider range of options is available within courses and marking is a bit more generous.Certainly,examiners are not as strict on spelling,grammar etc, unless what is written is irrelevant and/or incomprehensible.But the points system is just as demanding and stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I did my Leaving Cert back in 2001 - and it wasn't easy.
    I'm not one of these who can just know stuff off, I get lots of 'blanks' in exam situations, I had them in college too and it freaks you out. My older sister and my younger brother are both the type that are very academic but I'm not. Doesn't mean i'm not smart, just means I have to work harder to retain the info.
    Was it the easiest thing ever? Hell no.
    Was it the hardest thing ever? No - my Thesis & final year in college was a damn sight more stressful.

But everything is relative - depends on how easy you can study, how easy you find things, what's going on in your life, what you want out of the leaving cert, what you want to do in college etc. Also some people are put under a lot of pressure from family / friends (possibly friends like you who find it so *easy* and broadcast this).

I'm not afraid to admit I got 325 points in my Leaving Cert, I got an E in higher level Maths. And I cried when I saw it because I thought that was it.
    BUT I went to college and got an honours degree in Earth Science.
    Should I be proud? yes. Should I boast about it? no.

The leaving cert means different things to different people and it can be easier for some than others but I don't begrudge those that it's easier for. Nor would I gloat over someone who found it harder than me.
    I just don't do well in exams. Simple as.

And I don't think it's fair to say 'oh its so easy wtf are people getting so worked up for, I'm fab and it was easy and I'm getting a million points'.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

I would hardly call the leaving easy. I did mine this year, and needless to say the time you put in to prepare is usually enormous. It might be easier for some people rather than others, mainly due to the subjects they choose which might be more straightforward than others, say business subjects vs the sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Leave this discussion until the results come out! We will see then how you get on. I hope you get the points you need but be careful making general statements that the LC is very easy! It might have been for you, but then again you are not everyone. Having completed the LC some years ago, a degree and several masters i can honestly say that the worst exams i ever did were the LC. Looking back, it was a combination of poor study techniques, lack of study and pressure from lots of sources.

For lots of people who struggled with this years LC and for those who will sit it next year, telling people its easy and that by only doing half your homework and zero study that one will get 550 points, will only create further pressure for them.

Please post a copy of your results on the 12th of next month.

dermo1990 wrote: »
    It might be easier for some people rather than others, mainly due to the subjects they choose which might be more straightforward than others, say business subjects vs the sciences.
    I'm not sure there are any "easiest" or "most straightforward" LC subjects. Someone who has a natural aptitude for science and maths but hates learning off lots of definitions and business terms would probably find the science subjects easier.
    At a risk of being ridiculed,I'd say subjects are more interesting now,a wider range of options is available within courses and marking is a bit more generous.
    Some subjects have definitely become more interesting; I would have hated to have done Biology before they updated the course. Learning about the structure of moss versus learning about applications of genetic engineering; no contest there! :)
    Certainly,examiners are not as strict on spelling,grammar etc, unless what is written is irrelevant and/or incomprehensible.
    I think that's fair, excluding language subjects (and possibly History, since essay writing is essential there). Others would argue that having perfect spelling and grammar is essential and so those should be considered in other exams.
    But the points system is just as demanding and stressful
    The problem is, what other system would be a better alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I don't believe for one second that somebody can do "virtually no study" and expect 550 points. I hear it all the time and all the time it's a pack of lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But you are being arrogant...

Bully for you. So you can study with ease. Or you're under the impression that you can. If you can, you're one of the lucky ones. Maybe you don't realise that some people find school really, really difficult and everything they do, every subject they study is a struggle. Lots of these students won't do any further study after the LC, and getting a LC is a huge achievement.

You might get a shock when you get the results. I had a student last year who told me he was going to sail into medicine and that he knew more chemistry than I could ever possibly know. (Hmmmmm, chemistry degree v LC knowledge).. needless to say he didn't get an A in chemistry and he didn't get anywhere near the amount of points needed for medicine... more like 470. While that's a great LC, he was telling everyone he was going to get at least 570. That and if you go to college, no one will care what you got in the LC. You will be a very small fish in a very big pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

the easier the exams the harder theyr marked because there will be more A's which cant happen so..they redo the marking scheme making it harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So I'm the only one that thinks the OP is trolling? fair enough...

Easiest thing ever? No. Regardless of homework and study, you still did two years of preparation. pouring a glass of water is way easier than that.

Straight forward eh? I take it you didn't do History this year then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

phasers wrote: »
    So I'm the only one that thinks the OP is trolling? fair enough...

Easiest thing ever? No. Regardless of homework and study, you still did two years of preparation. pouring a glass of water is way easier than that.

HAHAHA I heard from my friends that history was a huge shock to the system!

Or Stair Na Gaeilge for that word! They really fooled a lot of people with the exact same question as 2008! but I was prepared though!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

1.No I didnt find the leaving certificate easy but on the other hand I had a lot of work done in order to put myself in the position to do the best I possibly could. Im quietly confident of 560 but Im not going to boast about it.

2.Poeple who say they dont study are usually the ones that do.

3.I did have the ****ters this year about the exam because quite frankly, there is a lot at stake and Im aiming for high points, so thats why people get stressed out about it. At least my teachers and career guidance councellor gave us the support and help we needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It says a whole lot about the OP not to have replied yet. Methinks he was just trying to show off his "lack" of arrogance.

Personally I'd consider myself to be fairly intelligent, but I still found that stupid leaving cert to be very difficult. Revising two years of work for seven subjects is very difficult, no matter what way you look at it.

I know I'm very lucky in that:
    1. I didn't panic.
    2. The stuff I studied generally was what came up.

While I did find it easier than expected, that's only because I got lucky. It could easily have happened that things could have come up that I didn't study, especially Geography. So OP, to be quite frank, it isn't very straight forward. Also, that was a very arrogant post, and also fairly insensitive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think that's fair, excluding language subjects (and possibly History, since essay writing is essential there). Others would argue that having perfect spelling and grammar is essential and so those should be considered in other exams.
    DEFINITELY history ... well, I wouldn't look for perfect spelling and grammar, but the ability to present a cogent argument in reasonable English is certainly important.

I wouldn't actually argue for being obsessively pedantic about spelling and grammar outside of language papers (obviously including English) either, but I think we've gone too far in the other direction recently.

The result is way too many students at third level with extremely poor English language skills. This is something that should have been rectified before this point ... it's fairly ridiculous having to deal with remedial English issues at this stage. *

Some might say that English skills are irrelevant to a scientist or engineering student ... but when they're so bad that the student struggles to demonstrate what they actually know in their chosen subject, there is a definite problem.

And in a few years such students will (hopefully!) enter the employment market, and no-one will be especially impressed with a graduate who can't spell for nutz or rite decent English grammer! :rolleyes:

* Please note that I am exempting from this comment those with dyslexia or a specific learning difficulty affecting language.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

To the OP, you really must be self-assured to feel confident of achieving 550 points. Well done if you can but in regards to the manner in which you perceive you have achieved this high point score, it's not a realistic way to lead your life and certainly will be tested out in the college course of your choice. Beware.

phasers wrote: »

Oh thank god! I thought I was the only one.
    Single-handedly the worst exam I have ever sat.
    I can't believe how badly it went!
    And the course is extremely challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I've been saying it for the last 3 years - English needs to be split up into English Language and English Literature, making English Language compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

andyman wrote: »
    I've been saying it for the last 3 years - English needs to be split up into English Language and English Literature, making English Language compulsory.
    Would that be a proper subject that we could get points on? Awesome.

"John walked to the shop."

Find the verb in this sentence (50 marks)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

If the leaving cert is really easy why aren't you getting 600 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

i suppose it just depends on person to person.

Personally, I found it easy because I'd class myself as book smart. Also I'm not going for a lot of points which reduces the pressure.

But for others it can be difficult. I fully respect those who worked their arses off even if it's to get 400 points. They are the true workers. While lazy people (like me) just don't do much work and still get their points.

To be honest, I think i'll barely scrape the amount of points I get. I need about 335 and expect to get about 350

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

thought it was easy enough. I did honours everything and I only ever studied the night before each exam, rarely did homework, I'm expecting to get 370-410 points. I'm just a really lazy person, I admire people who are able to put their head down and work at stuff and do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The LC is like most other things in life from sport to jobs and so on, you get out of it what you put into it. It's 90% hard work and 10% intelligence/natural ability etc.

And I don't believe for a second that the OP or anybody else is going to get 550 points by doing barely any homework or study. That kind of talk is just a way of trying to impress people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement