Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Happy Birthday Fred.

Since it was MJ's birthday last week too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Freddie Mercury: Magic Remixed

Tribute to the Queen frontman, featuring home video footage, rare interview material and comments from friends and admirers including Robbie Williams, Mike Myers and McFly
    Category Rock

ITV4 8:00pm-9:00pm Mon 5 Sep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I've just received a notification on facebook from the Queen fan page that Freddie's Mother and Sister will be live on BBC1 on Friday the 16th of September at 7.00pm on the 'One Show'.

A heads up for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

MTV playing the best of Queen now.
    God they had so many great songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I watched the One Show this evening with Freddie's mother and sister on it. Very interesting interview. His mother still has Freddie's stuff from when he was young and still living at home in Feltham.

She spoke about the possibility of a Freddie Mercury museum to keep alive his memory. I hope this happens. I would imagine there would be a huge amount of material that could be displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Found this the other day and thought I'd post it up. Not often did you hear any of the live performances be as strong as the studio version vocal wise :)

That's because this is a studio version with the crowd noise added. An infamous Queen bootleg. This is the version from the sixth BBC session from 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I couldn't stop listening to this song today. It was the first Queen song I ever listened to, and thus it's my favorite.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I couldn't stop listening to this song today. It was the first Queen song I ever listened to, and thus it's my favorite.

Funnily enough, I'm using this song as a ringtone for my wife's number :D

My ringtone is the guitar solo from the end of Seaside Rendezvous and my message tone is Freddie singing Oh Mama Mia Mama Mia from Bohemian Rhapsody, I took it from the 24 track mastertape that was leaked a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

20 years to this day since the passing of Freddie Mercury.

• Advertisement

Hearing about Freddie's death was like my JFK moment.

I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Riddle101

RIP Freddie Mercury.

This was actually done for his 17th Anniversery or something, but still...

This is a great tribute video made for Fred's birthday. The song is Larry Lurex - Goin' Back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Can't believe I've only just found this thread! Always been a huge fan from first hearing them on the radio when I was a lad in the 70's right up until their last ever show with Freddie (Knebworth 1986).
    Haven't given much interest to anything the remaining members have done since, as to me it's no longer Queen.
    Great thread and some great stories so far.

RIP Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Bri and Rog will be back on the road this Summer. They confirmed for Sonisphere Festival in Knebworth

Hopefully there will be a Tour to report shortly... :)

Got the book Freddie Mercury The Definitive Biography by Lesley-Ann Jones at Christmas.

I must say I found it an enjoyable read and even learned a few things that I hadn't known about before. For instance, John Deacon having a breakdown a number of years after Freddie's death and having an affair during this time. He got back with the wife but retired from the music business. That's probably why we don't hear anything about him anymore.

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend this book.

christeb wrote: »
    Bri and Rog will be back on the road this Summer. They confirmed for Sonisphere Festival in Knebworth

I have to admit I would not go to see May and Taylor in concert. I can't even call them 'Queen + Adam Lambert' as its being billed.

Queen for me stopped when Freddie died followed by John retiring from performing to look after the finances of the band. As far as I can see May and Taylor are prostituting themselves purely for financial reasons and destroying their collective legacy.

chughes wrote: »
    Got the book Freddie Mercury The Definitive Biography by Lesley-Ann Jones at Christmas.

I must say I found it an enjoyable read and even learned a few things that I hadn't known about before. For instance, John Deacon having a breakdown a number of years after Freddie's death and having an affair during this time. He got back with the wife but retired from the music business. That's probably why we don't hear anything about him anymore.

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend this book.

Great book. When I saw the interaction between John and Freddie at Live Aid it seemed pretty clear that they were close, on that basis it is probably true that he went off the rails for a bit. While he has no involvement with the music end of Queen, he does oversee the financial and business end of things.

Otherwise he can be found on occasion in The Coat and Badge in Putney sampling some real ale.

This months Q magazine (I know, but I have all 310 issues and they have a new editor who looks to be bringing music back to the magazine) has a series on their 'Real' best of.. by different musicians and bands.

Their 10 best by Queen are;

1. Stone Cold Crazy from Sheer Heart Attack.

2. Fat Bottomed Girls from Jazz.

3. Bicycle Race from Jazz.

4. Get Down, Make Love from News of the World.

5. Liar from Queen.

6. Sheer Heart Attack from News of the World.

7. Brighton Rock from Sheer Heart Attack.

8. The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke from Queen II.

9. Under Pressure from Hot Space.

10. Radio Ga Ga from The Works.

I'm not sure about this list. From my bias there is nothing from 'A Day At The Races'. 'The Millionaire Waltz' will always make my top 3 Queen songs.

leincar wrote: »
    I have to admit I would not go to see May and Taylor in concert. I can't even call them 'Queen + Adam Lambert' as its being billed.

Queen for me stopped when Freddie died followed by John retiring from performing to look after the finances of the band. As far as I can see May and Taylor are prostituting themselves purely for financial reasons and destroying their collective legacy.

As usual we are on the same wavelength, Leincar.

I was looking at the details of the Queen Extravaganza Tour thats starting in Quebec on May 26. It looks a bit like a cross between Elvis on Tour and X Factor.

• Advertisement

This months Q magazine (I know, but I have all 310 issues and they have a new editor who looks to be bringing music back to the magazine) has a series on their 'Real' best of.. by different musicians and bands.

5. Liar from Queen.

I'm not sure about this list. From my bias there is nothing from 'A Day At The Races'. 'The Millionaire Waltz' will always make my top 3 Queen songs.

I'd replace Get Down make Love with Hammer To Fall and Under Pressure with Seven Seas of Rhye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

This month's Q magazine ... has a series on their 'Real' best of.. by different musicians and bands.

5. Liar from Queen.

Nothing from The Game? For shame!
    March of the Black Queen should definitely be in there. It's Late is better than either of those other NOTW tracks. Long Away is an overlooked gem (Brian would have liked it released as a single). I Go Crazy is one of the great b-sides. I'm In Love With My Car is gold.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

christeb wrote: »

Would you believe it, but Sonisphere @ Knebworth is cancelled - HERE.

So the guys have only 1 gig scheduled. I have to admit I'd travel to see them play (not to Moscow, mind). BM is my favourite musician of all time, and he doesn't do many concerts these days. For me it's worth going when he does.

I've got some songs to add to the list above too - '39 (my #1 Queen song of all) and Too Late spring immediately to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Definitely would have March of The Black Queen in mine.

Plus more off Hot Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I would add 'Father to Son' and 'White queen' from queen 2.

Keep them coming guys.

To be honest, I'd have about 50 in my top ten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,133 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would argue that they are the most complex and versatile band ever. Their music was so diverse. They could do the simple stuff so well, and the complex stuf so well. Their reputation has grown and grown. So so talented, with the best frontman in band history. Probably the best live stadium act ever.

I think they are a more complete and talented act than even The Beatles. As for shows, if I had to choose one act to see live it would be Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Documentary and hammersmith live on BBC4 tonight.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Documentary and hammersmith live on BBC4 tonight.

I'd watch that Hammersmith concert again and again. For anyone too young to have never seen them live, this is what they were like pre BoRap. I know that song is in the concert but the rest is classic early Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

From Mean Fiddler:

Phil McIntyre presents
    Queen with Adam Lambert
    hmv Hammersmith Apollo / Wed 11 & Thu 12 July 2012

Just two weeks after the shock cancellation of Sonisphere 2012 where they were due to headline with singer Adam Lambert, rock band Queen has announced they are to go ahead with a UK concert appearance this summer after all. The band today announced that the highly anticipated pairing of Queen and Lambert will instead take place at the hmv Hammersmith Apollo over two nights, the 11 and 12 July. Said Brian May "Somehow this feels right - The Apollo is a big part of our history, and its atmosphere is second to none. It's the perfect place to acknowledge our faithful fans, and will be a fitting return to our roots!".

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement