Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good prog, pity they couldn't line up Queen in Hyde Park or Earls Court 77 which rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

It's a good documentary, one of the best I've seen in a while. They seem to have gotten some new info out of Brian and Roger, which is unusual. For instance, I always loved that story about Freddie calling Sid Vicious 'Mr Ferocious', but never knew that he actually physically grabbed him and threw him out of the studio. What a legend :D. Also, the story about Freddie putting a brick through John Reid's window after he stormed on him during dinner was a good one. Looking forward to part II tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Nice to see so much previously unseen footage, and not just the same interviews that were on Magic Years and/or Champions of the World. I mean, those archive Bob Harris interviews have been seen before, but at least last night's documentary had more footage from them. Good to see the newly discovered Top of the Pops material too. Overall, I was impressed, and I think tonight's one could be even better, 'cos there'll be the whole Hot Space debacle, Sun City and Freddie destroying Live Aid. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Really enjoyed part 1 and looking forward to part 2.

It's a pity that John Deacon still doesn't do interviews. The one interview he did in the car was from the 70's and although I love hearing Brian's and Roger's stories, I'd love to hear what John has to say about those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

For anyone watching tonight its on BBC2 at 10.30pm, however if you have the BBC HD channel (Sky 143) it will be on at 10.00pm.

• Advertisement

Its on at 10 pm, is 10.30 listed for BBC2 Norn Iron?

Yes Mike, BBC 2 Norn Iron are showing it at 10.30pm. They have some local programming on before.

Love the line by Fred Mandel that 'John Deacon was Queen's secret weapon'.

However, looking at the previously unseen footage of 'These are the days of our lives' a tear is appearing in either eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I had tears coming down near the end , funny i never seen queen play live ,i was one when freddie died but when i hear his magnificent voice its like i knew him as a friend with the rest of the band

Brilliant documentry in the end , still left knowing queen will forever be my favourite band till the day i die

Freddie looked like the cunningly evil version of Marcel Marcoux in those late video outtakes.

The MTV humour failure regarding I Want to Break Free was just laughable, never ceases to amaze me that they were so stupid. Fred Mandel was quick to note he's Canadian!

Wouldn't mind seeing the tribute concert again. Easily one of the best of its type ever staged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Missed Part 1 and it didn't record. Is it possible to stream via proxy from the BBC I wonder?

Loved Pt 2 and the concert last night. Very refreshing to see Bri and Rog being so candid. Rog gives off this rockstar vibe, that he's only in it for the money. He is that, but he's also very deep and his description of Fred's death was very emotional.

Hammersmith '75 was great, especially the rock n' roll encore with the naked blow up dolls. They're just having a really good time on stage.

Episode 1 / 2 links on the BBC site are here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Love this band, have both parts recording, going to watch now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

great doc. Saw part 2. Very sad in places. Interesting to see how the band differed so much over the Hot Space album. Brian & Roger hate it.

Saw Queen live at Slane when I was youg and saw Queen + Paul Rogers in Dublin a few years ago. However their Live Aid performance will always be the highlight of their aceer amazing. Their first four albums were always their best however with Sheer Heart Attack my fav.

For those who didn't see the documentaries, they are both up on Youtube.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5BxTujihMw

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsgYnZXoA_U

(hope these links work :D )

chughes wrote: »
    For those who didn't see the documentaries, they are both up on Youtube.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5BxTujihMw

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsgYnZXoA_U

(hope these links work :D )

QUEEN-AIR-FIVE TO YOU MY BRUTHAA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

christeb wrote: »
    QUEEN-AIR-FIVE TO YOU MY BRUTHAA!

Woah, you put the heart across me for a minute there mentioning QUEEN and FIVE in the same sentence.

Phew! :pac:

Just moving the thread in a slightly different direction but I was thinking recently about that time far off in the future(I hope) when I pop the clogs.

I'll be opting for a non religious event and cremation. I would like Bohemian Rhapsody played just before I'm wheeled into the oven.

What Queen song would you like at your funeral and why ?

Don't Stop Me Now! :p

Either Nevermore or Freddie's Larry Lurex version of Going Back. Both beautiful songs and I want people to be sad as hell leaving my funeral !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

My Melancholy Blues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nevermore

Who wants to live forever

the show must go on

these i would like played at my funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I woundn't consider myself a huge Queen fan, but one of my absolute favourite albums by them is 'Innuendo'. That is a class album, and rocks as well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

At my cremation I would like Nevermore and Hammer to fall.

Plus the Clock sound from the Fairy Fellers Masterstroke - one of my favourite queen songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I'd have Another One Bites the Dust meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Absolutely unbelievable band.

Such an original sound and amazingly prolific.

One regret - never having seen them live!

leincar wrote: »
    The safe place is still safe. While looking, I found the following poster which I had totally forgotton about. It is the poster handed out by Harp at the entrance to Slane '86. The post card is a smaller version of this.

While wandering around Normandy last week, I remembered the safe place and found a few postcards(all the same) from Slane '86

besty wrote: »
    Absolutely unbelievable band.

Such an original sound and amazingly prolific.

One regret - never having seen them live!

If Bri and Rog came back in a Q+PR-esque guise, would you go to see them?

leincar - they look great. I still remember your story about meeting the guys in Dublin. Great tale to tell the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

''No One But You'' by Brian is a suitable song for a funeral I think, if you're young of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

My first memory of Queen was hearing We are the Champions on Top of the pops back in 77 when I was 4!!

Been a fan since but never saw them live sadly.

I got to the Tribute concert at Wembley though which was my first live rock gig.
    Their performance at Live Aid is so good, the power the band have over the crowd will probably never be exceeded.
    Favorite album is Night at the opera, The Prophets song is amazing.
    Haven't listened to them much in recent times but after watching the documentary on bbc, it all came back to me why I loved this band.

Currently listening again , queen 2 is great. Not that impressed by Made In Heaven, don't like the remixed mercury songs on this, but the last track is almost a religious experience.
    Live Killers, best live album, Now I'm Here is incredible on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

mcwhirter wrote: »
    My first memory of Queen was hearing We are the Champions on Top of the pops back in 77 when I was 4!!

Been a fan since but never saw them live sadly.

I got to the Tribute concert at Wembley though which was my first live rock gig.
    Their performance at Live Aid is so good, the power the band have over the crowd will probably never be exceeded.
    Favorite album is Night at the opera, The Prophets song is amazing.
    Haven't listened to them much in recent times but after watching the documentary on bbc, it all came back to me why I loved this band.

Currently listening again , queen 2 is great. Not that impressed by Made In Heaven, don't like the remixed mercury songs on this, but the last track is almost a religious experience.
    Live Killers, best live album, Now I'm Here is incredible on this.

I can only imagine that the Tribute concert was unreal to be at, I've never being to any of their concerts ( I was born not too long after Freddie went) but I've watched it on youtube many times and think that it was more enjoyable then Live Aid (bar Queen's slot of course).

I think the reason why Live Killers is such a good album is because Freddie's voice was at it's best back then. In their Newcastle concert he sang Bohemian Rhapsody almost identical to the studio version with all the high notes.

To be fair some of the songs from Made In Heaven like ''Too Much Love Will Kill You'' and ''Mother Love'' are beautiful songs.

Advertisement