Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

To be fair some of the songs from Made In Heaven like ''Too Much Love Will Kill You'' and ''Mother Love'' are beautiful songs.

Mother Love is a great song, only heard it for the first time about 2 weeks ago watching a documentary about them. Queen 2 is an amazing album, March of the Black Queen is a masterpiece, there's so many different parts, sort of like an early Bohemian Rahpsody..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I bought the five new remasters (News of the World, Jazz, The Game, Flash Gordon, Hot Space) and Deep Cuts Volume 2 at lunchtime today. They've copped on and made the single-disc and double-disc versions more distinguishable by having stickers on the deluxe versions and "2CD" visible on the inner trays. The first batch appeared completely identical from the front.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hot Space has climbed the table and is now my favourite Queen LP - 27 years after first buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Hot Space has climbed the table and is now my favourite Queen LP - 27 years after first buying it.

I would say you are very much in the minority there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I would say you are very much in the minority there.

It's got the funk.

Queen II is my second favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

In the recent documentaries on BBC, it seems that John Deacon was a big influence and Freddie was also enthusiastic, but Roger and Brian weren't happy at all with the direction this album took. In fairness to the band, they took the backlash on board and got back on tracks with The Works.

I think Hot Space was a product of the times. There are some terrible somgs on it but there are some OK songs. I think John Deacon went on a power trip! I would think there would have been a lot of arguments over the album.

I can actually tolerate everything on Hot Space to varying degrees except Body Language, which is indefensible. Roger REALLY hates the album cover, and rarely misses an opportunity to say so. Mind you, himself and Brian have surprisingly included Staying Power on Deep Cuts 2, along with more obvious rocking stuff like Action This Day and Put Out the Fire.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like Hotspace because its so unashamedly camp, its ridiculous and as someone said a product of its times, which I like in the sense that there are no compromises with the sound or intent, its completely ridiculous disco rock and no excuses are made for it. How many bands would have the balls to release their own hotspace, not many I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Apparently there could be a another Paul Rodgers & Queen tour in the coming months. As well Queen are looking into getting a new bassist or someone to fill Danny Miranda's place.

Read it on Wiki so I would only take it at face value for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LizardKing82

christeb wrote: »

leincar - they look great. I still remember your story about meeting the guys in Dublin. Great tale to tell the kids

Can Leincar please tell the story? Would love to hear it as it is very rare to hear first hand recollections of fan encounters with Freddie!

Can Leincar please tell the story? Would love to hear it as it is very rare to hear first hand recollections of fan encounters with Freddie!

Post number 19 in this thread.

Hope you don't mind me answering a question addressed to you, Leincar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

chughes wrote: »
    Post number 19 in this thread.

Hope you don't mind me answering a question addressed to you, Leincar.

Not at all. Stuck in Greece having intermittent power cuts working at the world Special Olympics and commuting to Germany for the Ladies World cup.

I'll have to trawl the memories, but I do know we talked about the Larry Lurex days, and Freddie asked my friend about the music and gay scene in Ireland. I knew nothing being very junior of age. My friend barely knew any more. but did mention Bartley Dunnes.

Otherwise the conversation was about who we had seen in concert before(me none) and what music we liked. I think at one stage Brian May mentioned something about Northern Ireland, but quite honestly I can't remember. I've a better recollection of talking to the four of them before and after their Live Aid set.

leincar wrote: »
    . I've a better recollection of talking to the four of them before and after their Live Aid set.

Ur just teasing us now!

Go on.....

(and how did you manage to get backstage at live aid?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

(and how did you manage to get backstage at live aid?)

Are you Bod Geldof?!

No I'm not Saint Bob.

I was working as an intern with Harvey Goldsmith. I had applied to him for a job in 1984 while I was still in collage and he asked me over in March 1985.

I originally made coffee and delivered envelopes in his office, but as it was getting hectic leading up to Live Aid I found myself working at Wembley helping out on scheduling of contractor arrivals for stage construction.

As the day approached I suddenly found myself liaising with various band, and their management companies working out the details for the day itself. On the day my job was to get the oncoming band to the stage entrance, get the band that was on stage back to their dressing rooms and try and make sure that no one went over their time(there was four of us doing that, all with stopwatches).

Everyone involved had to buy a ticket for the concert. However, Harvey never meant unpaid inters to buy a ticket. When he found out I had bought one he gave me back my £25 and gave me a job on the spot.

I wished The guys from Queen the best of luck, John asked me were the crowd still 'up for it' and on they went. Afterwards I told them they were marvellous or some gushing nonsense to which Freddie replied 'Of course we were'. I was struck my the obvious friendships in the band that day. Freddie and John seemed particularly close. I'll and trawl the memory banks for more memories.

That day put an end to my ambition to be a music journalist and sent me down the corporate path of event management. Hence I'm going between Greece and Germany at the moment, then the Rugby world cup in September.

Thanks for the story leincar! Would give anything to have had such an amazing opportunity!

Found this the other day and thought I'd post it up. Not often did you hear any of the live performances be as strong as the studio version vocal wise :)

Found this the other day and thought I'd post it up. Not often did you hear any of the live performances be as strong as the studio version vocal wise :)

Incredible - by all the band

The BBC Session of Spread Your Wings on the News of the World remaster is killer as well. Heavier and longer than the album version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Happy Birthday to the Guv, Dr Brian Harold May CBE is 64 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

christeb wrote: »
    Happy Birthday to the Guv, Dr Brian Harold May CBE is 64 today.

Jaysus they're all gettin on now.. Personally I hope Brian and Roger manage one more tour. Unlikely it'd be with Paul Rodgers again, but who knows. I know a lot of people complained about those tours but at the end of the day it's still 1/2 of Queen. Having never seen them in their hayday and being foolish enough not to go to the last Queen + PR tour, I'd jump at the chance.

Also, was reading the comments about Hot Space on the previous page. I agree that by their standards, it wasn't quite up there, but there really is some good songs on it. Back chat and Action this day are decent tunes, not groundbreaking but catchy enough. Calling all Girls and Las Palabras be Amor are good too, and then you have Under Pressure of course. It's a solid album.

And I really wish Staying Power had been recorded with the enthusiasm and upbeat pace that they had playing it live. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, but it's worth posting. An amazing performance that makes a farce of the recording. It's a shame!

Ahh yes the song in which John plays guitar and the camera never even zoomed in on him. :D

Reading some of the comments on that video can be a bit funny at how pissed people are about that.

Roger's turn for birthday greetings. 62 Today.

Found this interesting interview which show how much Freddie hated the British media, maybe this was why the hounded him in his last couple of years alive. :rolleyes:

The big 65 for Freddie today, even google have changed there main page logo for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I be blasting bohemian rhapsody tomorrow

Heres to freddie , wish he was still around :(

Check out the Google tribute to Freddie on it's home page. It's an animated version of Don't Stop Me Now.

Kudos to Google for their Freddie doodle.

• Advertisement

So Lord Freddie of Mercury would today be entitled to a bus pass. I'm sure Freddie's reply would be along the lines of "Perish the thought darlings, now pass the Cristal".

Always remembered, fondly.

Advertisement