Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Build Dart Underground now, a new Facebook page which will be calling for government action:

https://www.facebook.com/BuildDartUnderground/

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

monument wrote: »
    Hearing this from where?

A source

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A source
    Mysterious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The suspense of it all. I'd love to see how DART underground could possibly be scaled back?

A cut and cover section under St John's Road and through the guiness site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm of the opinion annfield is talking shlte

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

D Trent wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion annfield is talking shlte

do you have a source for that? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

monument wrote: »
    Build Dart Underground now, a new Facebook page which will be calling for government action:

https://www.facebook.com/BuildDartUnderground/

That should scare them into action.:rolleyes:

Seriously, before Facebook, a dedicated web site for the interconnector was set up (Extend the DART) and it had a built in email facility to contact TD's in its catchment area. That was in the good days when money was rolling. Ciaran Cuffe asked to be removed from the list as Dun Laoghaire wasn't relevant to DU! You couldn't make it up.

This is what you are dealing with. The same guy as a TD turned up in the video below salivating over the opening of part of the WRC, while at the same time relegating his constituents in relation to DU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

A source

Fair enough if you don't want to say where you heard it from, but will there be an announcement soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

1huge1 wrote: »
    Fair enough if you don't want to say where you heard it from, but will there be an announcement soon?

Heard a brief news flash this morning on newstalk this morning about announcing some form of dart underground and airport rail spur this morning in the upcoming capital plan.

A part of me is worrying that this scaled down version of the dart underground will be the use of the phoenix Park tunnel

The NTA are compiling a report entitled the Fingal/ North Dublin Transport Study which looks at a number of transport options (Heavy Rail/ Light Rail/ BRT to serve Dublin Airport and the commuter suburb of Swords., Co Dublin). These options have been put forward by the RPA/ NTA and Irish Rail.

Phase 1 of the report was published in November last year

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Appraisal_Report_19112014_final.pdf

The finalised version is due to be published shortly and following this recommendations will be made to Government on how to proceed. The rumour is that a light rail option (LR3) put forward by the RPA is the preferred option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The finalised version is due to be published shortly and following this recommendations will be made to Government on how to proceed. The rumour is that a light rail option (LR3) put forward by the RPA is the preferred option.

Metro North and MNR revised are both light rail. The luas option as proposed is a joke and if that can be seen here, how in god's name could people who are paid to give the best professional advice, see it as anything other than that?!

Note they have €1,500,000,000 to give away in the upcoming budget, funny what there is an is not, money available for!

Kicking the can down the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Mysterious :eek:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have Deep Throat!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Metro North and MNR revised are both light rail. The luas option as proposed is a joke and if that can be seen here, how in god's name could people who are paid to give the best professional advice, see it as anything other than that?!

Note they have €1,500,000,000 to give away in the upcoming budget, funny what there is an is not, money available for!
    In fairness, the €1.5bn is rumoured to be split 50/50 between tax decrease and spending increase - it's likely that a sizeable portion of that 50% will not be capital spending but current spending.

A part of me is worrying that this scaled down version of the dart underground will be the use of the phoenix Park tunnel

pmsl if true.

In fairness, the €1.5bn is rumoured to be split 50/50 between tax decrease and spending increase - it's likely that a sizeable portion of that 50% will not be capital spending but current spending.
    exactly, that is my point! laughable, how much can be found for the "important" stuff, i.e tax cuts, welfare increases and Ps pay. It pretty much explains the appalling infrastructure we have here... This money can be borrowed for peanuts, would create a large stimulus, have massive benefits on a number of fronts.

I hear this, Dublin gets everything bla bla bla the odd time. Dublin is critical to Ireland, I don't see how us being held back, does anyone in this country, any favours. If funding was ringfenced to the county, Dublin could afford the best of everything!
    50/50 between tax decrease

tax decreases, i.e. USC on those contributing as good as nothing in direct incomes taxes, another "sound" decision. Why dont we just remove everyone from the tax net?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Heard a brief news flash this morning on newstalk this morning about announcing some form of dart underground and airport rail spur this morning in the upcoming capital plan.

Here'e the excerpt from Newstalk. The context is the current govt conference at Lissadell House in Sligo.

"So they're going up to Lissadell to talk about tunnelling Dublin, to talk about the Dart Underground, and whether or not that project is dead or whether or not that should be a big announcement of this government. Also connecting Dublin Airport - our main airport, our capital city, and no train line. This is also going to come up today."

So we're finally going to hear something today, one way or another.

Exciting stuff. My hope is that DART underground will go ahead as planned and that metro North will go ahead at a later time when the funding situation permits with BRT measures to be implemented as planned in the interim.

Exciting stuff. My hope is that DART underground will go ahead as planned and that metro North will go ahead at a later time when the funding situation permits with BRT measures to be implemented as planned in the interim.
    agreed, the worst case is a do something now decision on airport / swords link, at this stage in the current "climate" they might be able to get away with it and rush it through and leave us with a botch job, another year or two down the line, when the city is at a standstill again, they wont be able to foist that sham on us, the numbers will be way too heavily stacked against it. On a side note, funny how they are deciding this in the middle of summer, with kids of school, colleges closed etc. Maybe they should decide it on a wet work day, winter month, with bad weather, when they city grinds to a halt...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Off topic - but I hate the way the media describe cutting taxes (or failing to increase the property tax!) - as "give-aways".

They are actually "take-less-aways" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

My guess is they will announce Irish rail connection to airport (can be delivered fairly quickly) and a tram to Swords with a "people mover :(" at the airport. DU back to planning to be delivered later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I would be absolutely shocked if we heard something positive on DU today (or in the next 5 years even). Very difficult to be optimistic when it comes to Irish infrastructure announcments. The best I will allow myself to hope for is KPRII as a standalone project. Electrification of the Maynooth line would also be a good interim measure. If it cant happen now, we should at least be preparing for it with projects which offer their own benefits but are necessary if the DU tunnel is ever to be built. Anything else which does not feed into the eventual operation of DU will mean the tunnel has no chance of being built in the next decade.

When is that Facebook page going live?

jd wrote: »
    My guess is they will announce Irish rail connection to airport (can be delivered fairly quickly) and a tram to Swords with a "people mover :(" at the airport. DU back to planning to be delivered later :(

That'd really be a worse case scenario that doesn't satisfy any of the capitals transport requirements.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    exactly, that is my point! laughable, how much can be found for the "important" stuff, i.e tax cuts, welfare increases and Ps pay. It pretty much explains the appalling infrastructure we have here... This money can be borrowed for peanuts, would create a large stimulus, have massive benefits on a number of fronts.

I hear this, Dublin gets everything bla bla bla the odd time. Dublin is critical to Ireland, I don't see how us being held back, does anyone in this country, any favours. If funding was ringfenced to the county, Dublin could afford the best of everything!

tax decreases, i.e. USC on those contributing as good as nothing in direct incomes taxes, another "sound" decision. Why dont we just remove everyone from the tax net?
    I agree that we should be borrowing the money to do huge-scale infrastructure projects; I don't agree that it should come out of the €1.5bn we potentially have this year.

Off topic - but I hate the way the media describe cutting taxes (or failing to increase the property tax!) - as "give-aways".

They are actually "take-less-aways"

the marginal rate is criminal and that should be the only rate that is cut IMO. The government should be sorting out the major issues first and foremost, getting back to full employment, sorting out the appalling infrastructure in Dublin, actually doing something about the housing crisis (again much of this can be addressed by sorting out the transport infrastructure) get a handle on law and order, HSE issues and scandals. They can stuff their few euro bribe in the budget and put it into the aforementioned issues IMO, far more important!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

cgcsb wrote: »
    That'd really be a worse case scenario that doesn't satisfy any of the capitals transport requirements.
    Hopefully they'll do the electrification that Pete mentioned,it'd make me a bit happier.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Electrification of the Maynooth line would also be a good interim measure.

Given that Luas BXD is due to open in 2018, that'd make sense as a measure to improve frequency on the Maynooth line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Given that Luas BXD is due to open in 2018, that'd make sense as a measure to improve frequency on the Maynooth line

That is an added benefit but I was more thinking in terms of standalone projects which feed into the eventual operation of the overall DU/Dart network project. We have a perfectly good plan to create two Dart lines, which will provide the frequency, capacity and journey times to serve the city for a long time to come. If we cant execute that plan in one fell swoop, we should at least be working towards it.

• Advertisement

If they give the go-ahead for DU I'll vote for the Coalition :eek:

Up to now I was looking forward to seeing them butchered at the next election.

Advertisement