Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence & The Machine- Lungs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

There's a few good songs on it, i.e. Rabbit Heart, Howl, Cosmic Love and Blinding, but overall i was a bit disappointed by it. Other songs like Kiss With A Fist (which just doesn't fit into the album), I'm Not Calling You A Liar and Girl With One Eye just do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Black NG-60-90, I don't know how she was classed as 'indie', or on the fringe of.. mainstream, she comes across as an 'Adele-like' singer. Get someone to belt out songs with attitude and that gets you somewhere, please..

You could interchange Adele/Florence/Duffy songs on their albums, and you'd have a hard time picking out which was which.

It's a very busy sound with similar percussion and arrangements, I wonder if the same producer does them all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

There are some really good arrangements and melodies but to make a great album you need them flowing constantly, not just on a handfull of tracks. I wouldn't class her as 'indie' though, she makes pop music with intelligence and artistic values, rather than manufactured, money-making tosh. But she still has a long way to go to be Kate Bush.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

xochillixo wrote: »
    wow luvd dis album...
    i rarely buy cds bt lungs was an exception...
    loved
    1rabbit heart raise it up
    2 dog days
    3 lungs

my boy builds coffins n girl with one eye ar nice little numbers also

not forgeting the brill cosmic love best song by far

looking 4ward to hear more of florence!!!

Please use english correctly when posting in this forum.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Black NG-60-90, I don't know how she was classed as 'indie', or on the fringe of.. mainstream, she comes across as an 'Adele-like' singer. Get someone to belt out songs with attitude and that gets you somewhere, please..

You could interchange Adele/Florence/Duffy songs on their albums, and you'd have a hard time picking out which was which.

It's a very busy sound with similar percussion and arrangements, I wonder if the same producer does them all..
    Emmmm, no you couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's sausage factory music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There's some valid criticism raised in the thread but just saying she sounds like a generic pop musician or her tunes are just churned out is way off the mark in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

Howl and drumming song are the best....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Normally I can't stand the "you're only bashing them because they're popular/it's 'cool' to do so" accusation, however I can't help but suspect it's a tad applicable in the case of Florence Welch... mere months after she became known. I really don't think there would be as much cynicism if she wasn't such an overnight commercial success. The album sounds indie to me - "indie" in the ethereal guitar songs that are slightly off-beat sense (no, she ain't Throbbing Gristle either).
    To compare her to Adele, Duffy (who I think are quite good) et al - I can't help but think people are doing that just for the sake of it. She's got a bit of that "Celtic"-y thing going on all right but I don't think she's quite the same as Enya/Clannad (if not a million miles off). It's of course naive in the extreme to call her the new Kate Bush (although she's certainly influenced by her) but she's hardly "manufactured" and bland/generic. The people who'd say that's their opinion... well do they even know what manufactured/bland/generic mean?
    I can understand her appeal to the "masses" - there is an affection for stuff that's "folky", "mystical" etc. Just because this is the case though, doesn't make the woman herself worthy of dismissal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Kiss With a Fist is awesome. It's the first song I heard by her and it reminds me of The Slits and other feisty late 70s female-orientated bands.

I couldnt disagree more....FATM sounds awful poppy and maufactured, overly so to the rawness of the likes of the slits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Great band, really wish I'd known of them before Oxegen, I didn't bother going to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Fantastic Album.

She murders "hospital beds" though imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Listened to the Bat for Lashes album properlly today, i think it's head and shoulders above this one. It has the feel of a complete album where all the songs work together. It really highlighted how disjointed this one is. I think someone posted earlier saying how F&TM rushed this to get it out. If this is true there is a good lesson to be learned from Bat for Lashes.

(although if someone was to tell me the same is true for BFL i'd be fairly pissed!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

lordgoat wrote: »
    Listened to the Bat for Lashes album properlly today, i think it's head and shoulders above this one.
    I'd definitely agree with that. Obviously worth picking up their first album too.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Anto McC wrote: »
    Album of the year so far but a mile. "Howl" is the stand out track for me

That's my favourite track too.
    IN reference to lordgoat's post, I actually have that BFL album as well but still haven't given it a proper whirl yet.
    All I know is "Daniel" and that is a fantastic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Anyone see the Florence and Machine Glastonbury set on Friday. A bit strange i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Do ya mean the reading set? Just caught the drumming song and was impressed at how good live it sounds. Am in love with this album..really really hope shes not a flash in the pan (and that shes not overplayed a la miss morrissette:rolleyes:) Looking forward to her coming to ireland so i can check her out live:)

ttoppcat wrote: »
    Do ya mean the reading set? Just caught the drumming song and was impressed at how good live it sounds. Am in love with this album..really really hope shes not a flash in the pan (and that shes not overplayed a la miss morrissette:rolleyes:) Looking forward to her coming to ireland so i can check her out live:)
    The set they showed on BBC. She has a very strong voice and all I must agree but I'm not entirely sure about whether she is as good as everyone is saying. Certainly in terms of past Mercury Prize winners (know she is up for an award) I don't think she is as good.

well its early days i'll give you that. Hype is always worrying and i just hope she's got lots more in her (she is only 22 after all)

Just noticed after my last post that theres already a florence thread..we might be better moving this in there:)

• Advertisement

Yeah think that was to do with the actual album. Will leave it up to mod to merge threads. Hope you enjoy her gig anyway when she comes here. If anything else she seems very passionate about what she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Certainly in terms of past Mercury Prize winners (know she is up for an award) I don't think she is as good.

Have to disagree, I think the album is brilliant. There have been many Mercury winners that have done little or nothing after winning, Roni Size, M People and Gomez spring to mind. Judging by this album Florence + the Machines have a long career ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was listening to her demos for ages waiting for the fecking album. Was worth the wait, don't normally spot good singers so early on in popularity :D "You've got the Love" cover is far better than the original.

Ah now thats pushing it:D think its a great cover but the original is impossible to beat imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd definitely agree with that. Obviously worth picking up their first album too.

I wouldn't have said so, I thought the first album was quite poor. Really doesn't get the brain or heart engaged very much.

I've been listening to Florence a lot for the last 6 weeks or so, and some simpler songs like Dog Days and Drumming Song lose their initial impact, but Cosmic Love is still brilliant, and Rabbit Heart is one of my fav songs in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Did anyone see her at Electric Picnic? I thought she was amazing. One of the most packed out tents I'd seen over the weekend.
    I would have to agree about Kiss with a Fist. I personally like the song but it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the songs on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

anybody think shll add a 2nd date in ireland in olympia???? please oh please florence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

I think this is a very uneven album. About 3/4 tracks rank up with some of the best I've heard for a while. Another 3/4 are good/very good and the rest are average at best.

The good bits are really special though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Poor mans Feist. Well maybe thats a bit harsh. She is alright I suppose but as has been said 3 or 4 good songs does not a great album make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Poor mans Feist. Well maybe thats a bit harsh. She is alright I suppose but as has been said 3 or 4 good songs does not a great album make.

I wouldn't really compare her to Feist at all. Quite different styles I would have thought.

Not that I'm totally sold on her yet but she does put on a decent live show.

Advertisement