Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence & The Machine- Lungs

Options
  • 21-07-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

What do you think? I'm really liking it especially Drumming Song..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Outstanding album - some breathtaking tracks. I have gone from thinking her voice is good to amazing (at times).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

An absolute gem of an album...she has a great voice and the song lyrics are great. Like Kiss with a Fist at the mo, but they are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Album of the year so far but a mile. "Howl" is the stand out track for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Top notch stuff, best album i've heard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Siobhers

I love love love her! Havent looked forward to an album so much in ages, had been listening to Dog Days and Kiss With a Fist for months before hand!

And shes added to Electric Picnic line up....happy days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Was scrolling down through boards and caught this - I must say it's definitely up there with some of the best albums I've heard. Cosmic Love is...awesomely loud yet beautifully musical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Didnt like it, not heavy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Very MOR. Joanna Newsom-Lite. Not unpleasant but kind of colourless and unremarkable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Like the first 4 songs, after that it's pretty meh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lots of filler and hype. Kiss with a fist is one of the most annoying songs i've heard in a long time. Cosmic Love, however is a great song. Overall it comes in somewhere between these two for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lots of filler and hype. Kiss with a fist is one of the most annoying songs i've heard in a long time. Cosmic Love, however is a great song. Overall it comes in somewhere between these two for me.
    She really should have left this song off the album, it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all.

I'm loving the album anyway, apart from 1 or 2 average tracks.

She blew me away at oxegen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Siobhers wrote: »
    And shes added to Electric Picnic line up....happy days! :D

Where did you hear this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It was announced today. Got the e-mail from EP or whoever the promoter is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Ah just got the email myself, sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

It's good not great, although that said a very enjoyable listen and I expect great things from her in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm mixed, I like some and other songs leave me cold. Dog Days Are Over is one of my favs, as well as Cosmic Love.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    She really should have left this song off the album, it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all.
    Why should a song fit in with the rest of the album? Diversity is good, no? I think Kiss With a Fist is awesome. It's the first song I heard by her and it reminds me of The Slits and other feisty late 70s female-orientated bands. Always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Kiss With A Fist is very good but I must admit it's out of place in the album! That's not a big deal and I still like it but I'm just agreeing with the people who do say it's like it's out-of-tone with the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dudess wrote: »
    Why should a song fit in with the rest of the album?
    Because a great album should be more than just a collection of great songs. There needs to some cohesion throughout the whole album imo.

Kiss with a Fist is a decent song but just doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the album. I'd be surprised if Florence herself wasn't debating leaving the track out.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

If you buy the album on Itunes you get a bonus track called 'Swimming'. It's quality, don'y know why it wasn't included in the original album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks I have downloaded Swimming. Good song!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Kiss With A Fist is very good but I must admit it's out of place in the album! That's not a big deal and I still like it but I'm just agreeing with the people who do say it's like it's out-of-tone with the album.
    Jeez, no need to explain yourself! :)

I agree it's different to the rest of the album too - just saying I don't think that's a reason to leave it off the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I've been listening to this album over a week now and I do like it a lot. I really like the opening few tracks and they were obvious choices as singles. Howl, Drumming Song, Cosmic Love, My Boy builds coffins and Blinding are all strong numbers too.

I don't think it's a classic debut album though, there is a few fillers. The infamous Kiss With A Fist sounds a bit like a White Stripes tribute and I just think she's capable of better. Girl With One Eye sounds a bit Frank Black but it's a little forgettable.

Definitely her second album is going to be highly anticipated and there'll be plenty ready to shoot her down but she's got the potential to improve on a very promising debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's probably a classic case of them wanting to get the album out (well before festival sign-up period), they had 5 or 6 great tracks, and compromised on the rest. But you can't argue that you'd be better with it than without. I love Drumming Song, extra loud...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have a few of her demos and I adore them, I'm really unhappy with how some of the songs are edited. Overall still a great album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dudess wrote: »
    Why should a song fit in with the rest of the album?
    Short answer: Octopus's Garden.

I think Lungs got a 7/10 from me if I recall rightly. It's a bit overproduced, specifically the James Ford-produced tracks. The Epworth ones are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Don't see what all the fuss is about really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

I really liked the drumming in the background of most of the songs on the album, the music is great to chill out or relax to on the way to work or something similar of circumstance, I'd give the album an 8/9 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

wow luvd dis album...
    i rarely buy cds bt lungs was an exception...
    loved
    1rabbit heart raise it up
    2 dog days
    3 lungs

my boy builds coffins n girl with one eye ar nice little numbers also

not forgeting the brill cosmic love best song by far

looking 4ward to hear more of florence!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Always worth remembering.

I thought it ws a big old pile of 'meh', occasionally brilliant but more often just 'there'

Advertisement