Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will motorcyclists get stopped using the new bus priority on College Green?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from ES with redirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think m.cyclists will be banned as well - and I can imagine a certain poster here will be delighted about it too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

SeanW wrote: »
    I think m.cyclists will be banned as well - and I can imagine a certain poster here will be delighted about it too :rolleyes:

+1

Especially when the city will soon be flooded with JC Decaux cyclists, some who have never thrown their legs over a crossbar in decades. We will see then coming in all directions along college Green cutting across to Dame St without indicating and weaving their way in and out of anything that moves. Cyclists pose a greater threat to busses than motorcyclists because most of them don't seem to be able to obide by the basic rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Collage

=

collage-00.jpg

College

=

college_green.jpg

I'll get me coat.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Collage

=

collage-00.jpg

College

=

college_green.jpg

I'll get me coat.

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

So?

Aw he only made a funny about your spelling in the main heading:D

Aw he only made a funny about your spelling in the main heading:D
    Too bad he didn't quote it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

SeanW wrote: »
    They're presently allowed take the right turn at the Sth Great George's Street/Dame street junction, so it might stand to reason that they'd be allowed into the College Green cordon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I heard it confirmed on the radio today that motorbikes will not be allowed through during the priority times.

Dyflin wrote: »
    I heard it confirmed on the radio today that motorbikes will not be allowed through during the priority times.
    An ignorant and short sighted move from the Irish Government.

The UK Government has introduced an 18 month trial for motorcycle usage on bus lanes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7692540.stm

• Advertisement

I thought it was a Dublin City Council decision?
    Cyclists pose a greater threat to busses than motorcyclists because most of them don't seem to be able to obide by the basic rules of the road.
    Nice try.

I thought it was a Dublin City Council decision?

If the Government had any bal*s they would overrule this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The reason cars are banned from here is for congestion. This makes no sense, there's feck all motorcycles around that area, why not allow them use the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The UK Government has introduced an 18 month trial for motorcycle usage on bus lanes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7692540.stm

I reckon in this country that would be carnage. Drivers including bus drivers are a law unto themselves, it wouldn't be long until a biker was flattened.
    If the Government had any bal*s they would overrule this.

That would mean carving through about 6,572km of red tape. Won't happen. Unless they find money in it for themselves, of course.

Personally I'd ban cars but not bikes from the city centre if all they're doing is parking all day and going home - few cameras with number plate technology would sort that one out. For example if you're coming into town between 8am-10am and leaving between 4pm-6pm but haven't moved it in that time, you get charged. If you avoid either rush hour, you don't - people will either ease the traffic of their own accord or just get the train, but this allows for shoppers or those that have to come into town for an hour to pick people up or those who need their car, but have to check into an office before heading out again.

sdonn wrote: »
    I reckon in this country that would be carnage. Drivers including bus drivers are a law unto themselves, it wouldn't be long until a biker was flattened.
    Wait and see, TFL (Transport for London) is giving this project an 18 month probation period which started last January. If it is a success it will be rolled out further, if its a fail it will obviously be terminated.

There is a far greater chance of a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian been killed by a motorcyclist filtering up through traffic than if he was using any bus lane. For starters a Motorcyclist has far more space to cope with emergency situations such as pedestrians walking out in front of them and it happens regularly, cyclists weaving in and out of cars and the occasional car door opening to let some one out and it dose happen in traffic.

If a motorcyclist is forced to filter up through centerline traffic they may only have one or two feet of clearance between oncoming cars. They are also at the mercy of cars coming the opposite way that may have to swerve suddenly into your path to avoid cyclists on the left if there is no bus / cycle lane on their side of the road.

For starters a Motorcyclist has far more space to cope with emergency situations
    Explain where this space comes from?
    If a motorcyclist is forced to filter up through centerline traffic
    How are they being forced to cross the white line? It's not compulsory, it's actually illegal. While cyclists and motorcyclists share the same frustration at space-wasting by motorists, it does not justify riding on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, especially if there is a continuous white line.

If anything, your arguments might explain why the City Council has decided to exclude motorcyclists from the cordon.

Explain where this space comes from?
    The distance between the outer edge of the marked cycle lane and inner thick white line of the bus lane. There is plenty of room for both motorcyclists and cyclists on bus lanes if cyclists keep to the left.

How are they being forced to cross the white line? It's not compulsory, it's actually illegal..
    I know well its illegal. Motorcyclists are forced to cross the white line to take evasive action when cyclists suddenly pull out in front of them bctween cars when they want to turn right.
    While cyclists and motorcyclists share the same frustration at space-wasting by motorists, it does not justify riding on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic, especially if there is a continuous white line..
    The reason motorcyclists are forced into breaking the law is because DCC don't dive a damn about them. If DCC allowed them use bus lanes they wouldn't need to do the dangerous practice of filtering up through traffic putting themselves and other road users at risk.
    If anything, your arguments might explain why the City Council has decided to exclude motorcyclists from the cordon.
    The reason DCC has decided to exclude motorcyclists from this project is out of short sightedness and ignorance. The result of this will be felt in the next election, There is already widespread anger over this among the motorcyclist community and it can be felt on other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The reason motorcyclists are forced into breaking the law is because DCC don't dive a damn about them. If DCC allowed them use bus lanes they wouldn't need to do the dangerous practice of filtering up through traffic putting themselves and other road users at risk.
    Why can't they just wait in line like other road users?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

No one is forced to break any law here, people willfully break them!
    I know well its illegal. Motorcyclists are forced to cross the white line to take evasive action when cyclists suddenly pull out in front of them bctween cars when they want to turn right.

And Cyclists are quite often endangered by motor cyclists who see the cycle lanes as a great opportunity to overtake cars stopped in traffic and often enter this lane without any thought or even a look for Pedal cyclists who are in the correct area of the road.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why can't they just wait in line like other road users?
    Obviously you have never commuted on a motorcycle or scooter in pis*ing rain.

• Advertisement

Is this "bus corridor" just a wide bus lane? In that case, no surprise that we can't officially use it. But that doesn't mean we won't use it.
    It makes feck all difference to me, but if i ever find myself in that part of town at those times, i'll have no problems using it, same as any other bus lanes

Quint wrote: »
    Is this "bus corridor" just a wide bus lane? In that case, no surprise that we can't officially use it. But that doesn't mean we won't use it.
    It makes feck all difference to me, but if i ever find myself in that part of town at those times, i'll have no problems using it, same as any other bus lanes

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sums it all up really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

So your saying anytime outside pissing rain it's inexcusable?

Rob_l wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sums it all up really

Care to explain what it sums up? It must be something serious if you used 2 rolly eyes!
    Well, at least the guards use cop on when it comes to this. Motorbikes have been proven to be much lower rate of accidents when they use bus lanes. I've driven past about 30 guards over the years doing bus lane checks and never even been stopped. Sometimes you even get a wave as they pull in the car behind me:D. Even been told to drive in them by guards a few times!

Rain gear?

:rolleyes:
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    So your saying anytime outside pissing rain it's inexcusable?

Exactly if you have to break the rules of the road because of the rain then perhaps you should take a look at your current mode of transport and get one that is more conducive to your needs in Irelands climate.

Care to explain what it sums up? It must be something serious if you used 2 rolly eyes!
    Well, at least the guards use cop on when it comes to this. Motorbikes have been proven to be much lower rate of accidents when they use bus lanes. I've driven past about 30 guards over the years doing bus lane checks and never even been stopped. Sometimes you even get a wave as they pull in the car behind me:D. Even been told to drive in them by guards a few times!

It sums up willfull disregard for the rules of the road and as a result the safety of others!

I dont really care what a handful of Garda may have told you the facts on this speak for themselves you are not allowed use them to do otherwise is a breach of the road laws and as such should not be tolerated.

Now if you feel this is unfair then perhaps you should lobby for them to be changed not just go about as you please.

As the OP of this thread I origionlly posted this in the Emergency Service forum, it didn't get any response and was promptly redirected to this forum. TBH the Gardai have better things to be doing than to be stopping motorcyclists on bus lanes. I was once advised by a member of the Gardai to use a bus lane in heavy traffic.

Rob_l wrote: »
    It sums up willfull disregard for the rules of the road and as a result the safety of others!

I dont really care what a handful of Garda may have told you the facts on this speak for themselves you are not allowed use them to do otherwise is a breach of the road laws and as such should not be tolerated.

Now if you feel this is unfair then perhaps you should lobby for them to be changed not just go about as you please.

The safety of others is almost funny it's so selfish. Motorbikes using bus lanes makes a massive drop in their accident statistics and almost no rise in anyone elses. And motorcycle accidents are almost always very serious for the rider. As I said before, the people that matter here are the guards, they have the cop on to not support a rule that indangers far more people than it helps.
    Although, as you don't seem to give a damn about ploughing into a woman crossing the road, the above selfish attitude is to be expected.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339992
    It seems "the law" is far more important to you than what's actually right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Although, as you don't seem to give a damn about ploughing into a woman crossing the road, the above selfish attitude is to be expected.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339992
    It seems "the law" is far more important to you than what's actually right and wrong.

Worst part is that accident was 50/50 and he failed to see that.

• Advertisement

The safety of others is almost funny it's so selfish. Motorbikes using bus lanes makes a massive drop in their accident statistics and almost no rise in anyone elses. And motorcycle accidents are almost always very serious for the rider. As I said before, the people that matter here are the guards, they have the cop on to not support a rule that indangers far more people than it helps.
    +1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement