Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion: CAO offers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm sure you can ring them, but I remember last year everyone has staying to all hours checking RTÉ's teletext/CAO.ie as the point changes for courses appear there. Maybe your better off you accepting as soon as possible, some might take your place in a course :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

not really what I was asking^^:D

I want to know how or if they contact you with info on offers I know how to accept them

^oh and im pretty sure no-one can take your offer as long as you accept before the deadline think its the following friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Secoundrow wrote: »
    hey guys just wondering how do they contact you about offers on the 17th

do they ring you / post out something /e-mail you .. I know that you can check and accept current offers at CAO.ie but surely they have a more immediate or direct method of communication?:o

Well, I'm not sure if they still do, but I got my offer by post aswell either that same day or the next.. I'd already accepted it by the time the post came but that's not important! :D Seeing as that was 2007, I'd imagine they still do, not everyone has the internet like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Even though I knew I wasn't getting a round zero offer (my application is solely based on LC results a couple of years back), I still checked. :D I'm such a loser.. but 2 weeks more to wait is driving me nuts, even though I'm almost certain of getting my course. It's the almost that's killing me..

Me too... :D

I'm DYING waiting for these bloody offers. It's so much worse than last time cos 2 years ago I knew I'd gotten into my course before the results even came out! I'm likely to get my second choice first round and possibly my first choice in the second round cos the points have gone that way the last 5/6 years but still I'm panicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure if they still do, but I got my offer by post aswell either that same day or the next.. I'd already accepted it by the time the post came but that's not important! :D Seeing as that was 2007, I'd imagine they still do, not everyone has the internet like. :)

Same, I did my Leaving in 06 and I had already accepted the place before getting the letter a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Hypothetical situation.

I get offered my third choice. I accept. I get offered my second choice. I decide I prefer my third choice. I do not accept my second choice. Does this rule out my first choice?

Help appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Hypothetical situation.

I get offered my third choice. I accept. I get offered my second choice. I decide I prefer my third choice. I do not accept my second choice. Does this rule out my first choice?

Help appreciated.

I don't think it does rule out your first choice. If places become available in a course that was higher up in your order of preference they have to offer it to you if you were next in line to get a place. In this 'hypothetical situation' you were offered your second choice, but you don't want it. That's not telling the CAO that you don't want what you had number one, that's the one you wanted the most anway. I hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

So basically I can move up as I please, but if I accept a higher choice all the options below are ruled out? Thanks for that.

One more question.

Say I want my second choice more than my first. I get offered my first choice straight away and decline it. Does this rule out all the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah, once you're offered a course, all courses below it are wiped away.

So basically I can move up as I please, but if I accept a higher choice all the options below are ruled out? Thanks for that.

One more question.

Say I want my second choice more than my first. I get offered my first choice straight away and decline it. Does this rule out all the others?

If you're offered your first choice it automatically deletes all options below it whether you accept it or not. That's why the CAO place so much emphasis on putting your course choices in genuine order of preference instead of going by points or whatever which other way you might do it. So, the answer to the question is yes, accepting a higher choice rules out options below it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

One more question.

Yes. If you're offered a higher choice, all the options below are ruled out. Theres a sticky at the top of the forum about all this! :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055639163

• Registered Users Posts: 19 michele28564

Hi - can someone please clarify the following for me: do you actually get your offers tomorrow on line or does it just give the required points for the actual courses? Thanks

Hi - can someone please clarify the following for me: do you actually get your offers tomorrow on line or does it just give the required points for the actual courses? Thanks

When you log into your CAO account at 6am tomorrow you will be told what you have been offered from you level 8 and level 6/7 list of options. You can accept it there and then if you like. You'll also be able to view the list of points for each course on the CAO website, or on teletext.

You should receive a letter later in the day as well when the post comes (but most cannot wait until then!). Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Both :)
    you'll get an offer in the post as well
    Good Luck hope you get what you want:)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

as far as i know your offer should be up on the cao website at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 19 michele28564

Thanks a million. I thought so but people were telling me that it was only the actual points that came out tomorrow and you would have to wait till tuesday to see what you had been offered. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

What about by post, will I get a letter in the morning????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

ill be receiving my A level results on thursday and applying to ireland, when will the unis get my results ??? many thanks.

DigiGal wrote: »
    What about by post, will I get a letter in the morning????

Yup, you'll get a letter at whatever time your post normally arrives.
    My post doesn't come until 3pm... which would be kinda late to have to wait until if there was no internet machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

logic123 wrote: »
    ill be receiving my A level results on thursday and applying to ireland, when will the unis get my results ??? many thanks.

you might have to ring them up with your results, im not sure. Giving them a ring would probably be a smart thing to do :D

• Advertisement

omg phone surely they should have my results like the irish do, the unversities over here, have our results early.

should i ring UCAS up tommoorow and tell them to transfer my results to CAO tommrow morning, would this be ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

If you haven't applied to the Irish universities already I would say you will have to wait for next year.

i have applied but what do i do as the first round goes out tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

i have applied but what do i do as the first round goes out tommorow

A friend of mine's son (did his A-levels in Northern Ireland, now in Trinity) and as far as I know he got his offer the day he got his results in the North. (Now he could have had a provisional offer already from the CAO depending on his A-level results, I'm not 100% sure.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just to confirm, for those uncertain:

Round One
    Released at 0600 - 17th August 2009

Round Two
    Released at 0600 - 28th August 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fiddlesticks7

ugh I hate CAO they caused me so much grief last year. One of my A level results somehow didn't get transferred to them or whatever, so basically didn't get a 1st round offer so was ****ting myself I wouldn't get in to the course i wanted even though I had well over the points needed. Luckily I did get into it in the end but it felt so **** at the time, meant to be celebrating good results but was really worried. Also apparently couldn't get into the halls because they were only processing 1st round offers which I thought was so unfair as well cus i was coming from a long distance. Managed to get in to them in the end by another stroke of luck but know a few other people who had the same problems with the alevels thing so beware.
    Advice would be that as soon as you get your results fax them to CAO and ring them, don't leave it up to ucas.

do i give them photocopies of my a level results or what on results day?

also how many points did you get and what course you doing many thanks.

Advertisement