Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** CAO offers - how they work **

Options
  • 02-08-2009 11:51pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, can I suggest people have a look at the offers section (page 17 onwards) of the CAO handbook over the next week or so ...

*** link here ***

I'm sure some of you know it by heart by now, but there are still people popping up questions that show they don't understand how the system works.

In particular, this bit (page 18) is core to the way the CAO system works, yet seems to cause confusion ...

Offer of highest preference

You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled (if any).

This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices.

You may, therefore, receive two offers at the same time; one for the highest Level 8 preference to which you are entitled and the other for the highest Level 7/Level 6 preference to which you are entitled.

Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

Non-acceptance of subsequent offers

Having accepted an offer of a place, you are not obliged to accept a subsequent offer. You may retain the original offer simply by ignoring the subsequent one.

Vacant places

From CAO website - vacant places

About Available Places/Vacant Places

If any places remain unfilled in particular courses after all offers have been made and the waiting lists of applicants meeting minimum entry requirements have been exhausted, such vacancies will be advertised.

Where there are Available Places/Vacant Places in specific courses, HEIs will advertise these on the CAO website. Before making an “Available Place/Vacant Place” application, those matching the description “Restricted Categories of Applicant” on Page 3 of the CAO handbook should first consult with the Admissions Office of the HEI concerned.

Persons who have not applied already may make an Available Place application on payment of a fee of €45.00.

Persons who have applied already (whether placed or not) may apply for an Available Place on-line without payment of a further fee (when available).

Applicants for Available Places/Vacant Places must meet the normal minimum entry requirements for the course(s) in question. Previously published points in an earlier round of offers should not be taken as an indication of the points required for entry to Available Places/Vacant Places.

Mature applicants and applicants who have qualifications other than 1985-2007 Irish Leaving Cert and/or 2000-2007 FETAC Level 5/6 are categorised as Non-Standard Applicants. Such applicants must contact the appropriate HEI before completing an application.

Lists will be available here from 12 noon on Tuesday 18th Aug 2009.

Link to CAO log-in page ... log into your CAO account here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

how does it work...say you don't get any of your desired courses,if you were very unlucky,could you then decide that you wouldn't mind doing a course which is a lot less points.For example,you had aimed to get 400 points you only get 380...you decide to go for a course which would be 300 points.Could you be offered a place before those who had put that course as a preference.If that makes sense:D...it would seem unfair,just curious.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

The CAO works on the idea of random selection. So it doesn't really matter if it was the highest on your CAO. What matters is that you fulfil all the requirements to enter the course. Someone could have it as their no 1 but doesn't fulfil the mandatory requirements of that course. As a result they wouldn't get the offer and so it would be given to those that have. Do I have it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

djcervi wrote: »
    The CAO works on the idea of random selection. So it doesn't really matter if it was the highest on your CAO. What matters is that you fulfil all the requirements to enter the course. Someone could have it as their no 1 but doesn't fulfil the mandatory requirements of that course. As a result they wouldn't get the offer and so it would be given to those that have. Do I have it right?

Random selection only occurs if there are more people on the same points than there are places available.

Example: ABC college has 50 places available in its course on Boardsology. The CAO calculates the points of all the people who applied and orders them in order of points scored. So, someone has 600 points (is at the top of the list) gets the course offer. Then it moves down through the list of applicants and points. At the end it finds that there are 5 places remaining but there are 10 applicants with the same points at that point. It then allocates the 5 places on a random basis to those 10 applicants.

It then waits for the people to accept or reject the place. If all 50 people offered the course accept then there is no round 2 offer. If, say, 40 people accept then there 10 places available for round 2. The CAO then starts the process again, but this time the highest points on the list will include the 5 unlucky punters from round #1 who didn't get the place on random selection. These will now be offered the course. It will now continue down the list of remaining applicants in order of points, allocating the other places.

If you don't meet the manditory requirements (example: grade C in hons maths for Engineering is a common one) then you don't qualify for the course and you wouldn't appear in the reckoning during allocation of places.

The final (and most) important point is that you can only move up in your preferences for offers. For example: Boardsie has the following preferences on the CAO:

1. Engineering, UCD
    2. Engineering, UCC
    3. Engineering, NUIG
    4. Boardsology, ABC College

So, the points come out and boardsie has enough for Engineering UCC, Engineering NUIG, Boardsology ABC but not enough for Engineering UCD. Boardsie will be offered Engineering UCC as it is the highest preference on his list (the CAO assume that you want it more than the others). However, if Boardsie really wanted to study Boardsology more than Engineering then: tough luck! You can't reject Engineering UCC and be offered Boardsology.

The only thing that could happen is that Boardsie could be offered UCD on a later round if there are places available for his points. Boardsie should accept UCC on round #1 and hope for being offered UCD on a later round (if he is offered UCD he doesn't have to accept).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I'm curious as to whether everyone's points have been calculated when the round zero offers go out, or are put into the system after we get our results?

And if it's the former, I don't suppose there's anyway to find out what the points for each course are looking like?

...You can probably tell I'm a bit impatient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

It doesnt make any differnence when they are calculated tbh.

You'll have to wait tilll the monring(the monday or whatever day it is), keep an eye on the irish times and independant who usually have some of the points an hour or 2 before 6 am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm curious as to whether everyone's points have been calculated when the round zero offers go out, or are put into the system after we get our results?

And if it's the former, I don't suppose there's anyway to find out what the points for each course are looking like?

...You can probably tell I'm a bit impatient :D
    The round zero offers are irrelevant to those sitting LC this year.

Points for this year can only be calculated when this year's LC results are made available to the CAO ... which as far as I know only happens at roughly the same time as they are distributed to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

The round zero offers are irrelevant to those sitting LC this year.

Points for this year can only be calculated when this year's LC results are made available to the CAO ... which as far as I know only happens at roughly the same time as they are distributed to schools.
    I figured it would be something like that, still thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

sorry if this is a stupid question but is there usualy places available after places have been offered to those who put a certain course in their CAO.For example if you didn't get the required points for your first few preferences but you then decide that you really don't want to do the other courses that you put down on your cao form.If you then saw a course,such as one in DBS,that you wanted to do...is it possible to apply for a place after the points have come out?is it likely that you would get a place...i'm a little hopeful as it is a private college.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I'm waiting on an offer from my 2004 LC results, have I gotta wait until 17th like this years LC's?

Skyuser wrote: »
    I'm waiting on an offer from my 2004 LC results, have I gotta wait until 17th like this years LC's?

Yes, because you're competing against every regular student for the places that are available. The earlier offers are for mature students, deferred students, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

poisonated wrote: »
    sorry if this is a stupid question but is there usualy places available after places have been offered to those who put a certain course in their CAO.For example if you didn't get the required points for your first few preferences but you then decide that you really don't want to do the other courses that you put down on your cao form.If you then saw a course,such as one in DBS,that you wanted to do...is it possible to apply for a place after the points have come out?is it likely that you would get a place...i'm a little hopeful as it is a private college.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Well, there is the Available/Vacant Places option on the CAO - it will give a complete list (updated very frequently after CAO first/second/etc round offers) of what courses have places available at that time, so you can apply through that and presuming you meet the requirements would then get the course. I have definitely seen DBS courses on the list in the past but obviously you won't know for this year until at least the first CAO round is done AFAIK.

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutVPL is the link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Probably a stupid question that has probably been answered already but,

how do you physically receive your offer? Like, is it an e-mail or a letter in the post? And how do you physically accept/decline your offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question that has probably been answered already but,

how do you physically receive your offer? Like, is it an e-mail or a letter in the post? And how do you physically accept/decline your offer?

If you go onto your cao application online now, they've added in a bit at the top to accept/decline offers.....as far as i know, the course you're offered will be posted on there and you just click accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Where/when are offers posted please people ?

I am really on the fringes of my course and want to get it ASAP so I can relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Offers are issued on Monday and first round last from 17th August (monday) and ends on 25th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What happens if the course you really want isn't offered until round 2, is there a chance the course's you were offered on round 1 could go?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

If you don't accept your round 1 offer, it is taken from you.

Remember kids, you can accept your round 1 offer and if you get what you want in round 2, you can then take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Remember kids, you can accept your round 1 offer and if you get what you want in round 2, you can then take that.
    Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

What if you didn't accept your round 1 offer (because you suddenly didn't like to do it) and there is no chance that you can get your first preference in round 2:
    Will cao offer you something, like lower preferences(if happens to be available)?
    or
    Does it imply that the candidate will have to repeat lc?

What if you didn't accept your round 1 offer (because you suddenly didn't like to do it) and there is no chance that you can get your first preference in round 2:
    Will cao offer you something, like lower preferences(if happens to be available)?
    or
    Does it imply that the candidate will have to repeat lc?

If you reject one offer (say #3 on your list) then all others below that on your application are cancelled (4-10). If #1 or #2 are available on later rounds and you have the points then you may receive an offer. If you are offered and reject your 1st choice then you will not receive any more offers.

The same is true if you accept the offer. If you are offered #3 and accept it then you will not be offered choices 4-10 but may be offered 1 or 2 if the places/points are ok.

You can re-apply the following year with your current LC results or repeat if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

Oh, I see! Then you really must accept the offers no matter what, otherwise, back to friggin school! Thanks for the rep ElectronEng:D
    It's very clear to me now ;))

you are offered and reject your 1st choice then you will not receive any more offers.
    Not true!!!

If a HIGHER choice from your CAO list becomes available in Round 2, you will be offered it. Of course, there is no guarantee that this will happen.

However, a LOWER preference from your list will not be offered to you in Round 2, jelomulawin.

People, can you PLEASE read the first post on this thread at least?!

Not true!!!

If a HIGHER choice from your CAO list becomes available in Round 2, you will be offered it. Of course, there is no guarantee that this will happen.

People, can you PLEASE read the first post on this thread at least?!

My wording may have been unclear. I ment "1st choice" as in your #1 preference. Which choice can be higher than your #1 preference?

My wording may have been unclear. I ment "1st choice" as in your #1 preference. Which choice can be higher than your #1 preference?
    Fair enough, chief ... I read "first choice" as what someone is offered in the first round of CAO, I think others might as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterp

OK People... I have a LC results problem that I realy need advice on please.

For my CAO, I picked all my college courses that were 450pts and above.
    This was a logical choice based on me doing all Honors subjects and historical exam results showing that this would be the minimum I achieved.

To my horror today I got 380pts.. I was absolutely gutted !!!

I have already put in the application to recheck some papers.. but the results on these won't be confirmed until Oct.

My question is.. If I realy did f**k up my exams and my score is actually 380pts.. Can I apply for another course not quoted on my CAO preference list ? i.e. one that is 380pts or lower.

Realy need your advice on this please.

peterp wrote: »
    My question is.. If I realy did f**k up my exams and my score is actually 380pts.. Can I apply for another course not quoted on my CAO preference list ? i.e. one that is 380pts or lower.

Realy need your advice on this please.
    See here and here re CAO Vacant Places.

Very little there at the moment, but once First Round is over, it should show more options.

Remember a lot of people will be offered places from both the Level 8 list and the Level 6 / 7 list, but will only be able to take up one or the other. In many cases, there will be a list of people waiting to take up those vacant places in Round 2, but some will find their way onto the Vacant Places list.

Did you apply for any courses in the Level 6 / 7 list yourself, btw? These are often lower points, and if you do well, you can always progress to an Hons degree and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterp

Thanks Randylonghorn.. Good info and links.
    Unfortunately, I didn't apply for any L7/6 courses as I was confident I'd get the 400+ .. How fecking stupid was that.
    Hindsight is a great thing ! ;o(

Will take your advice and keep an eye on the vacant positions after Aug 18th..

You're welcome, hope things come right for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

What time do the offers come out on monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Does one get an offer on level 6/7 and level 8 if one filled out both sections on the cao form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement