Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Picked a GC a short while back (was only after OEM GC pads for Wii MKart, but hey!), so now making progress with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Rebel Strike ...and now I can feel the retrogaming demon sneaking menacingly closer and closer again, as I find myself lurking AES and PC-Es on fleabay with alarming regularity.

I blame this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ambro25 wrote: »
    Picked a GC a short while back (was only after OEM GC pads for Wii MKart, but hey!), so now making progress with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Rebel Strike ...and now I can feel the retrogaming demon sneaking menacingly closer and closer again, as I find myself lurking AES and PC-Es on fleabay with alarming regularity.

I blame this :mad:

Hey man! how you doing these days? Haven't seen you about these parts in a very long time.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hey man! how you doing these days? Haven't seen you about these parts in a very long time.
    I lurk a fair bit every now and then, just don't get time to post much at all I'm afraid :)

I'm in regular touch with Lemming since he only lives a figurative stone's throw away these days (would you believe!), but same story there, I just don't get time for airsoft, much as I'd like to. Must be the second time I've had to cancel an outing with him at the 11th hour, always due to work matters :o :pac: :mad:

Whatever gaming I manage to do these days is 90% of the time with my daughter (6), usually Nintendo fayre (Wii/GC/DSI XL) although we completed Halo 3 and Reach on Legendary in coop over Xmas, and we are now making our way through Halo 3 again on Heroic in coop :eek: ...don't fancy your chances much, when she eventually graduates to flying FPSes solo, she's already asked me about C:S Source she's seen me play with bots, and she manages BF2 SP with 64 bots on her own just fine :D

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, children - the ultimate excuse.

'But little Johnny will love this! It's the best shooter ever made! we have to buy it for him!!'

'It's little Jenny, not little Johnny'

'oh yeah - :('

Ah yes, children - the ultimate excuse.

'But little Johnny will love this! It's the best shooter ever made! we have to buy it for him!!'

'It's little Jenny, not little Johnny'

'oh yeah - :('
    Well, Mrs doesn't approve of course (although naturally I turn off any blood/swearing/etc. as much as settings allow, and there's a reason why I won't let her play online at all ;)). But then that buys the Mrs coffee-supping/feet-up/Facebook time, so it's really a case of "can't have your cake and eating it" I'm afraid :D

She's reading really well by now, so there's a full collection of EDGE she can start making her way through very soon ;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

She's reading really well by now, so there's a full collection of EDGE she can start making her way through very soon ;)

Not to mention RPGs! :D

Could do a play through of something like Chrono Trigger. Would almost be like reading a book together. I wish I'd played that when I was a young lad. Would have loved it.

As for the topic at hand, got another hour of Steel Batalion in last night. Absolutely loving it. It so punishing, but the moment my mech is destroyed I just power up another one and go again. Only managed to get up to level 4 so far...you really have to have the damn escape button on the ready too! If you die once that's it, all the way back to the start. Feckin' evil so it is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a whirl of Aladdin last night. I thought my Megadrive had mysteriously disappeared during a spring cleaning a year or two ago, but managed to find it tucked away in the back of my wardrobe in a tesco bag :) Superb game though, filled me with nostalgia - never owned it, but rented it a few times as a lad. The soundtrack kicks all sort of ass, awesome chiptune renditions of the film score.

Also picked up a copy of Golden Axe II in RAGE today for a fiver. Only ever played the first so looking forward to giving it a whirl later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dont bother playing Golden Axe 2, it's just as lousy as the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Was playing CorsixTH, an open source port of Theme Hospital. Unfortunately too glitchy at this early stage of development to play for very long, but it gave me a taste of the game again. And a fresh hatred of doctors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spent an hour on the Ikea Cab, brilliant!
    Played a game called Space Bomber by Psikyo, very odd!
    Also a Macross vertically scrolling shooter that was awesome, no sound though, may have to upgrade the version of MAME til its finally working properly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Tiberian Sun!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Spent an hour on the Ikea Cab, brilliant!
    Played a game called Space Bomber by Psikyo, very odd!
    Also a Macross vertically scrolling shooter that was awesome, no sound though, may have to upgrade the version of MAME til its finally working properly!

I'm jealous! Is it the kind of thing that'd easily get passed a girlfriend/wife?

Spent this evening playing Steel Batalion. I don't know what happened to my previous save but it was gone when I booted up - back to the start all over again. It's crazy, once you spend a bit of time a few levels in (I think I was up to either 4 or 5), the first ones are then a breeze.

When I was sick of having my ass handed to me at that, I went back to my Amiga again. 4GB worth of Amiga games is a lot to work through. Almost spoiled for choice...almost!

If you died in your vertical tank without ejecting your save is wiped, and that goes for whatever distance into the game you are, so remember where that eject button is!
    Also you have to have at least on other mech in your garage or the funds to buy one or it's game over man even if you eject.

Yes, Steel Batallion, a game that expects FULL COMMITMENT!
    So, no toilet breaks, mom calling you for supper, partner looking for a snuggle, they will all have to wait!

Oh, there is no pause button either.

BUT!

You can, in fact, pause it by simply disconnecting the controller from the Xbox, this will make the Xbox go to the "controller disconnected" screen and halt the game til after the toilet break, mom made supper or partner snuggle.

Or indeed the toilet supper, mom snuggle and partner break.

Or the toilet snuggle, mom break and partner supper...

It's all about choice, although toilet snuggles are what got George Michael into a lot of trouble, if memory serves...

Master of the Universe

BUT!

You can, in fact, pause it by simply disconnecting the controller from the Xbox, this will make the Xbox go to the "controller disconnected" screen and halt the game til after the toilet break, mom made supper or partner snuggle.

You absolute genius!!

I was playing the other night, reached for my beer and spilled it all over the right control block. What followed was me fratically reaching for the pause button and realizing there is none. So there I was trying to maneuver my VT about and avoid rockets while also trying to mop beer off all the buttons on the right with my sleeve.

Not a pretty moment!

You absolute genius!!

I just want to quote that lest anyone ever doubt my genius again, you know who you are..:cool:

Has everyone stopped playing retrogames at the moment?
    Gone all quiet in here...

Hello?

Well, I was playing Beatles Rockband today, it was nice, not retro but old in its own way...

Also, playing a spot of 2600 this morning too, great fun tuning the bugger in, not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Has everyone stopped playing retrogames at the moment?
    Gone all quiet in here...

Hello?

Well, I was playing Beatles Rockband today, it was nice, not retro but old in its own way...

Also, playing a spot of 2600 this morning too, great fun tuning the bugger in, not!

No Ciderbloke. I have been playing Pokemon Silver the last few nights and tonight I'm gonna have a blast at Warioland on Gameboy amongst some other Gameboy titles:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shining Force 2 for me at the moment. It's as good as I remember.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Diablo II. Playing on a netbook whose low resolution actually aids the aging graphics.

My little one is loving the original SNES DK Country and MD Sonic at the moment (both emulated on her DS XL with SnemulDS and jEnesis, not "that godawful official emu" DS port), so I've found myself revisiting some SNES/MD classics recently.

Re-started playing a bit of MAME as well, now that I finally got as complete a ROMset as I've ever had. Playing a lot of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo with the Mrs, still an epic puzzler! I'll be looking to start a MAME project mid-March, as I miss my cab lots :( (...and it will likely stop me spending silly amounts on retro hoarding :D)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

..and it will likely stop me spending silly amounts on retro hoarding :D)

You have more sense than the rest of us!

What happened to you old cab? Did you sell it on before the big move?

What happened to you old cab? Did you sell it on before the big move?
    Yup :o

The plan was to put the proceeds towards a Candy cab or a Naomi cab (there's a couple of guys very active in that arcade scene 'subset' in the UK, who live close by and always seem to have 'stock'), but of course and as usual the proceeds ended diverted on something more essential in the meantime :pac: Oh well...

I've long thought and planned to do a MAME-based DIY cab (IKEA-esque, more classic or otherwise), and of course toyed with the idea of MAME-ing my cab while I had it.

What I currently have in mind could be pretty special, if it ever comes off. Think of it as a (most unnatural :D) outcome of cross-breeding a Naomi cab with an 'inflated' Bang & Olufsen pillar speaker ;)

Master of the Universe

I bought Deadly Premonition today and spent about 3 hours playing. Holy crap! What a great game! I'm so glad I avoided reading anything about it online..haven't a clue what's going on.. feels like I'm playing a game version of Twin Peaks. Although I would imagine I'm not the first person to make that comparison.

The completely out of place music just makes it so much weirder.

I must pick it up as soon as I can, whenever I have the time to play it!
    I want to get Battle Fantasia, Edge did a piece on the developers last month and it, Guilty Gear and Blaz Blue look mighty cool, and should play great on the 360 wireless fight stick too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kicked off 9 Persons 9 hours last night, I'm not far into it, just escaped the cabin where the game starts. Quite good so far, in an interactive graphic novel kinda way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm playing Prince of Persia on my NES, got into it there big time last night.

On my megadrive it's Streets of Rage III I'm doing.

On my mastersystem it's Lemmings.

I'm having a hard time with Crystal Kingdom Dizzy on my Amiga.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Happy 25th Birthday to Zelda, Link et al... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

EnterNow wrote: »
    Kicked off 9 Persons 9 hours last night, I'm not far into it, just escaped the cabin where the game starts. Quite good so far, in an interactive graphic novel kinda way.

Coincidence, I clicked through to this thread to say I just finished playing 999, got the final ending last night. Absolutely great, I'm jealous that you get to play through it for the first time :) the last 3 days that I played it I was up til 3am, very difficult to put it down once you start a playthrough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Playing thru Tomb Raider on the n-Gage, which is basically the Ps1 version. About halfway thru I'd say, and really enjoying it. Have 2 & 3 also for the Ps1, so might give them a go after this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2 really isn't that great. After a good opening the levels start to get really bland. 3 is a lot better but it'sa bit too big and sprawling and too tough for it's own good. I'd recommend playing the Tomb Raider games on PC. Much better looking but also you can save anywhere in TR3 which makes the game a whole lot more bearable.

Advertisement