Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Started playing 2 games.
    Marioworld (The plan is to find all worlds and hidden stuff)
    MK2 (Just downloaded all special moves and cheats)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Playing the original Star Ocean on the psp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Played the demo of sonic 4 on the xbox the other day.Tbh wasnt sure what to make of it what with only the first level in the demo.So went back to basics and started playing the original with the fusion emulator.Great fun.Hope to sit down over the weekend and try and finish it on one credit like I use to!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always wanted to buy that game. I really loved the demo back in the day but hadn't the money to nuy it before it disappeared off the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Had a fun bash of Metal Slug X recently but gave up on it once I completed it.

You haven't completed it until you've 1 credited it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wish I could 1 credit something... :(

The last game I could finish like that was Transformers....
    On the Spectrum 48k....
    Back in 1986....

Damn :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's ok Cider, I never finish games. I could probably count on one hand the amount of games I've finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

PLaying Super Meat Boy and liking it. Also playing a bit of Super Fantasy Zone & Gynoug on MD. Nice games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wish I could 1 credit something.

My tip. Load up mame and set the dipswitches to the lowest difficulty :)

Only ever 1 credited 3 games. Street fighter 2 is one but everyone has done that, Gn'G which took a whole heap of playing to do and Carrier Airwing which I did quite easily and surprised myself that I did it when I was only playing it casually. Could be a good one to try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Only ever 1 credited 3 games. Street fighter 2 is one but everyone has done that, Gn'G which took a whole heap of playing to do and Carrier Airwing which I did quite easily and surprised myself that I did it when I was only playing it casually. Could be a good one to try.

You see now, there you go again...
    I have not single credited SFII, Tekken 3 on the other hand, maybe, but there isn't really credits there...

I tend to take my achievement where I can get them,
    for example...

The other day I reached a level in Ikaruga I hadn't seen before and as I was playing something seemed to almost audibly click, and not my arthritic fingers before you say it!
    I must drag myself back to it, as soon as I stop distracting myself with Super Meat Boy and the Indie Store on XBLA that I have access to via a fake user location....

Rule of Rose still awaits me, although I can see that doing a SOTC and taking me a couple of years in dribs and drabs to complete.

I meant dark omen. Must download it so if it's abandonware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Done SFII on one credit nearly all the time. I one credited Final Fight on a few occasions but then I did play it a lot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Started playing SOTC again while taking a break from Super Meat Boy. Anyone with a half decent Android phone should check out a game called Evac, Pac-Man with extra twists. Only just starting playing it but it's very cool, looks gorgeous and excellent controls too.

Finished Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES. If you decide to play it it'sabig time dungeon crawler and don't even attempt to play it without a faq. I enjoyed it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's ok Cider, I never finish games. I could probably count on one hand the amount of games I've finished.

I suffer from unfinished game syndrome a bit myself. I do intend to finish a game once I've started but I often end up trying to finish another game I started months before. It's a viscious bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Started playing Phantasy Star 1 on the Master System, good fun so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

just installed a nes emulator on my DS...
    (loads up Ducktales...)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Finished Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES. If you decide to play it it'sabig time dungeon crawler and don't even attempt to play it without a faq. I enjoyed it though.

Is there an English language version of this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nope, you'd have to play a fan translation.

(Which in a lot of cases are better than the original translations - See Secret of Mana)

• Advertisement

Warren3 wrote: »
    Is there an English language version of this game?

Yeah you'll have to play a fan translation. Be warned it's kind of buggy. You can't buy guns in the first antique shop which is annoying becuase they help loads at the start of the game. Also if you go the Law path you'll have to load up an unpatched version of the game to get past two points. If you have a way of playing the roms on a SNES the bugs aren't present, apparently they are emulation issues. You'll need SNES9x to play it as well, zsnes has even more issues. A variant of snes9x is just as good, I played it on the Wii SNES9x through the homebrew channel.

I can't stress enough that this game is a very old school dungeon crawler and it's mostly about the battle system and not the story although, it's still far deeper than most RPG storylines. Some of the dungeons are huge and have teleporter traps and the difficulty level is quite high so a walkthrough and save stating is highly recommended. Also to make matters worse the walkthrough isn't finished but it's easy enough to piece together everything from the two walkthrough available on gamefaqs like the sidequests from the translation one. Another thing to note is that the author sometimes gets east and west mixed up in the walkthrough but it's easy to figure out when he does it (i.e. you end up lost and confused).

I have to say I enjoyed it and it was a very interesting experience but it isn't for everyone.

What am I playing at the moment?
    Feck all!
    No time!
    I've been watching Rome with the better half on the tellybox of an evening and by the time thats over it's time for the leaba.
    The only game that I have been squeezing in is a spot of Laytons latest on my lunch breaks in work.
    And all those lovely games, all around the house, unplayed.
    I can hear them sometimes, calling to me....

Ah the eternal plight of the videogame enthusiast that has more money than sense.

Charming Retr0, charming!
    No, I don't spend lots of cash on games, but simply accrue the ones I want to play, then find myself without the time to play them, very annoying tbh.
    So, right now I am trying to fit in Goldeneye, Layton and, hopefully, Bioshock 2, see if I can reinvigorate my enthusiasm for the title.
    My gamesroom has been pretty much silent since the last beers :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

My gamesroom has been pretty much silent since the last beers :'(

A travesty:D

Well, silent aside from the pitter patter of little furry legs as the spiders move back in, after the forced eviction before said beers.
    They maintain they never got their security deposit back, I told them they voided the contract when they laid the eggs containing their thousands of young in the dark corners of the room, lets see them get around that!
    Remember, always read the small print!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Well, silent aside from the pitter patter of little furry legs as the spiders move back in, after the forced eviction before said beers.
    They maintain they never got their security deposit back, I told them they voided the contract when they laid the eggs containing their thousands of young in the dark corners of the room, lets see them get around that!
    Remember, always read the small print!
    I'm pretty sure if you read the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations really closely, it says that any term of a contract which purports to restrict the right of a spider to lay eggs in a gamesroom shall be null and void. Sorry.

Charming Retr0, charming!

I meant it about all of us on here :)

I know, I know!
    Oh, spent morning playing Goldeneye on the Wii, its all kinds of awesomeness!

• Advertisement

Kind of broke so going to pick it up when I get a job or it gets cheap, or whichever comes first. Probably the latter :(

Advertisement