Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's some feat as a kid, you really must have played the hell out of the game. All done with a D pad too I take it on the Snes?

It's amazing how different my thumbs were back then, I can't play fighting games at all anymore with a D pad, left thumb starts to get sore and creaky after about 5 minutes!

Aye, all on the snes with a pad, over glorious rf in 50Hz lol. A pal of mine back then was an absolute wizard at the game, we played a LOT of 2 player battles, it's how I learned the game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭dav09

Any Goldeneye fans on here? The games I've waited years for the 2008 XBLA remaster leaked today, have it running on my JTAG/RGH (finally put that to good use) :pac:

It's fantastic, the graphics are amazing for what they are, plays and feels like the original, an amazing remaster. It's probably around 90% finished, bug fixing and one or two minor things is all that seems left, such a shame this was canceled but delighted to finally get to play the real thing after footage leaked out 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

dav09 wrote: »
    Any Goldeneye fans on here? The games I've waited years for the 2008 XBLA remaster leaked today, have it running on my JTAG/RGH (finally put that to good use) :pac:

It's fantastic, the graphics are amazing for what they are, plays and feels like the original, an amazing remaster. It's probably around 90% finished, bug fixing and one or two minor things is all that seems left, such a shame this was canceled but delighted to finally get to play the real thing after footage leaked out 5 years ago.

Hooked up my old RGH Slim 360 just for this. Definitely worth a look for anyone who enjoyed the N64 version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn, I am really going to have to get a modded 360...

Sandopolis Zone done, quite tight on time through both acts...died a couple of times too. Need a bit more practice at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn, I am really going to have to get a modded 360...

Works in an emulator. Seen people play it on Xenia.

Doubt it makes the game any good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any Goldeneye fans on here?

Beautiful. One of the GOATs.

Whats the best emu for it on the PC?

The Nal wrote: »
    Beautiful. One of the GOATs.

Whats the best emu for it on the PC?

It works on Xenia. Seemingly the bugs and glitches in it are there on original hardware too, given its an incomplete game.

It's incomplete but honestly it was very far into development. It also feels finished compared to the rubbish released these days with major "bug fix" patches needed for months on end :pac:

From what I've played so far it's excellent, it's cool that you can switch back to N64 graphics any time in game with a button.

The story of how it was 'leaked' is interesting.....

TLDR - It was posted on PartnerNet for about 1 hour in 2007. ParterNet was a kind of closed off XBL for devs, media staff etc to review & publish games before they went live. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this and other cases), ParrtNet was accessible with any dev kit (even frankenkits that could be cobbled together from broken machines.) So anyone could log into PartnerNet, grab the files, & archive them.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    The story of how it was 'leaked' is interesting.....

TLDR - It was posted on PartnerNet for about 1 hour in 2007. ParterNet was a kind of closed off XBL for devs, media staff etc to review & publish games before they went live. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this and other cases), ParrtNet was accessible with any dev kit (even frankenkits that could be cobbled together from broken machines.) So anyone could log into PartnerNet, grab the files, & archive them.

Anyone who had a dev kit or a JTAG in 2008-2010ish knows the drama PartnerNet caused. Loads of leaked builds, time after time. It was almost like that episode of the Simpsons with Sideshow Bob and the rakes. I particularly remember the Sonic 4 EP1 drama, with levels having to be redesigned and a lot of rework having to happen after that build leak due to how rubbish it was. PartnerNet had to be shut down I believe for a bit due to security. Then Sonic 4 Episode 2/Part 2 leaked months later and all hell broke loose... Again :pac:

There were tonnes of game leaks and dramas. Apparently this Goldeneye Leak was sitting online on a site for 13 years with no passwords or protection, which originated from PartnerNet which seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Anyone who had a dev kit or a JTAG in 2008-2010ish knows the drama PartnerNet caused. Loads of leaked builds, time after time. It was almost like that episode of the Simpsons with Sideshow Bob and the rakes. I particularly remember the Sonic 4 EP1 drama, with levels having to be redesigned and a lot of rework having to happen after that build leak due to how rubbish it was. PartnerNet had to be shut down I believe for a bit due to security. Then Sonic 4 Episode 2/Part 2 leaked months later and all hell broke loose... Again :pac:

There were tonnes of game leaks and dramas. Apparently this Goldeneye Leak was sitting online on a site for 13 years with no passwords or protection, which originated from PartnerNet which seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I couldn't remember if a JTAG could access PartnerNet or not, but if it could, fooking hell, crazy stuff. As you say, it's the gift that continues to give :)

I couldn't remember if a JTAG could access PartnerNet or not, but if it could, fooking hell, crazy stuff. As you say, it's the gift that continues to give :)

I actually can't remember that myself either! Back then owning a modded console was a different ball game to now and most people didn't block hosts, ports, etc i.e. ended up console banned fast if they connected to the internet at all. I remember leaked builds being made to run on modded consoles for sure but whether you could connect directly to PartnerNet I'm not sure, it would likely be pointless if so. I know ParthnerNet worked by assigning user permissions to accounts so individuals could access certain games but both bugs and mods meant loads of people got access to games they were never supposed to have access to.

Sonic & Knuckles - the act 2 boss of Lava Reef took me out there. Two ~8 minute zones, so not inclined to try again until later. Bit of a pig, I'm sure once I figure it out it won't be so bad though

Made it to Death Egg 1 in Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic). Tough act. I've been using the level select to get practice though, so even when I beat it, I'll still want to do it all in a sitting (or maybe a save state as my aged bones haven't got the patience for ~90min sittings these days :o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Made it to Death Egg 1 in Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic). Tough act. I've been using the level select to get practice though, so even when I beat it, I'll still want to do it all in a sitting (or maybe a save state as my aged bones haven't got the patience for ~90min sittings these days :o)

Or play sonic 3 and knuckles which will allow saves.

I'd no trouble getting through sonic 3 or S&K levels except Death egg which I was getting up to the 8 minute mark on.

That stage reminds me of the final area of Strider.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Or play sonic 3 and knuckles which will allow saves.

That'll be next, there's other ways or practicing/saving nowadays anyway, so the lack of saves is a non issue.
    I'd no trouble getting through sonic 3 or S&K levels except Death egg which I was getting up to the 8 minute mark on.

When I find a difficult zone, I do think "this is cheap, too long, and like a maze." After a second or third practice attempt though, I'm finding I'm flying through it. Lava Reef 2 was a pig the first time I played it, but the next time around I sailed through it.

With Sonic it's not so much difficulty, it's trepidation in terms of avoiding traps/cheap surprises. Sonic works best at speed, so at a slow pace, it can take a bit of practice in certain levels.

Death Egg has a big of a difficulty spike. That said, I made it through to the Act 1 boss on the first attempt, so it's no Star Road :o

Death Egg 2 is a pig in Sonic & Knuckles!

Night Trap on the Mega CD. ��

Death Egg 2 is a pig in Sonic & Knuckles!

Ok, game beaten (not in a single sitting yet.) Death Egg 2 is a pig, and I'll have to factor in losing a life on the level because to beat the level, and defeat Robotnik in his three forms in under ten mins isn't going to happen. That means losing a life on Robotnik by running out of time, & then having to do it again without being hit (there are no rings beyond the restart point.) It's do-able, I did it last night, but just something to consider.

I feel the game is a bit harder than Sonic 3, more so near the end, but will enjoy trying to do it in one sitting (or maybe two sittings, with a save state used in place of the missing save game function - because age/patience.)

• Advertisement

I find it bizarre people are running out of time on sonic levels? It never happened to me when I played Sonic and Knuckles back in the day.

Saying that S&K is a game I played the crap out of as a kid but even then I don't remember it.

Or maybe its just me, I find I have good positional awareness in games compared to most other people. Which isn't a boast as everything else I'm crap at but I just notice my friends who are way better than me at FPs games really annoy me when I'm watching them or playing co-op as they always end up going the wrong way and getting lost. Same in Sonic games.

I do agree that S&K is a much tougher game than sonic 3.

I find it bizarre people are running out of time on sonic levels? ... I find I have good positional awareness in games compared to most other people.

It's not that I'm getting lost, it's just having to be quite cautious in those levels because of cheap placement of enemies. It's a long level, with a three phase boss fight....9 mins 59 seconds is a bit of an ask (given I've never played this far into the game in my life)

Or maybe it's because Sonic was never good or well designed to begin with?
    Pulls pin out, drops hand grenade and runs to watch the fall out from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To be honest I didn't even know you could run out of time in a Sonic level until I got to Carnival Night Act 2 the other day.

As Inviere said, there are just so many cheaply placed enemies and traps throughout the game. It gets far easier once you've played the levels a few times and know what's going to happen but that first play through it almost feels like wherever you jump there's a nasty surprise waiting for you.

I kind of find that with all the 16 bit sonic games. The first and maybe second zone you can get up a bit of speed in them but the game slows right down after that if you want to get through them and make it to the end. It's a misconception that sonic is about speed, it's about momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finished Sonic 3 this evening, Really is all straightforward enough once you know the enemy patterns.

Have to say, some lovely visuals going on. There's a gorgeous 3D parallax effect in Launch base Zone when you just enter the water (or are walking in ankle deep water) the sense of depth is incredible. Actually made me 'WOW!' out loud.

Going to start from the beginning now again with Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Edit - well that's interesting, I thought when I loaded a combined S3&K rom onto my Everdrive, it would have overwritten my Sonic 3 save RAM.

Not only did it not do that, my Sonic 3 save has actually appeared in S3&K!

The save data must have remained in the Everdrive's save memory and then the new rom interacted with it. Cool stuff especially given it's a V1.0 archaic Everdrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I remember getting a megadrive and sonic 1 + a few other games. Sonic never clicked with me. Always seemed awkward to control, too busy and boring after a time. And those those underwater levels... Later on, got a snes with super mario world and never went near sega again. Night and day difference playability for me. SMW is still a 10/10 game for me. Sonic is like, meh.

I still plan to get sonic mania on switch to do a reappraisal ...maybe it was the pal megadrive or crappy controller ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Or maybe it's because Sonic was never good or well designed to begin with?
    Pulls pin out, drops hand grenade and runs to watch the fall out from afar.

tenor.gif?itemid=5055384

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

YoshiSays wrote: »
    I remember getting a megadrive and sonic 1 + a few other games. Sonic never clicked with me. Always seemed awkward to control, too busy and boring after a time. And those those underwater levels... Later on, got a snes with super mario world and never went near sega again. Night and day difference playability for me. SMW is still a 10/10 game for me. Sonic is like, meh.

I still plan to get sonic mania on switch to do a reappraisal ...maybe it was the pal megadrive or crappy controller ...

I could just never get into SMW , it just didnt do it for me . At least the levels in sonic felt different .
    Of course Kid Chameleon crapped over both of them ;)

• Advertisement

GTFO!

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why kid chameleon is good. It just feels like a euro jank platformer and I don't get the love for it at all.

Advertisement