Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Paranormal Convention 2009

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Again, I still don't know what Sweeps was on about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was there for most of the day at the talks and generally just hanging around chatting to the different groups. Myself and my brother had a nice chat with Niall from PIGs about the hardware side of paranormal investigations and I showed him my silly iPhone 3GS EMF meter. I think it was well organised and I will be back next year.

The only thing I think I would do different from what you guys did was maybe have a stand with a good selection of equipment that people could purchase.

I know it might be hard to have lots of stock to sell but if you could get someone from say that Toms Gadgets website in the UK to have a stall and a good selection of stock to show and sell, and maybe just have one or two samples of the larger items and allow people to have a look and place an order there at the stall and have it delivered, just like ordering from the website except you can have a go of some samples first. Maybe offer some sort of delivery discount as the stock will be coming from the UK.

I should point out I don’t work for or have anything to do with Toms Gadget website http://www.tomsgadgets.com/. They are just one of the only electronics and gadget sites that have a dedicated paranormal section and I've got stuff from them before and was a happy customer.

Anyway guys, you did a great job of organising the day.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

No
    sprry o/t but to answer MrRisin,

Have never opened myself up to that kind of situation before but when i went into the basement or whatever you want to call it i felt really sad and i just started crying. Had to leave, when i went down later i still had the feeling but controlled the tears. And again up in the chapel or boat thing, felt very uneasy, like i wasnt wanted there and very afraid. The place has bad joojoo!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

smcgarr wrote: »
    I was there for most of the day at the talks and generally just hanging around chatting to the different groups. Myself and my brother had a nice chat with Niall from PIGs about the hardware side of paranormal investigations and I showed him my silly iPhone 3GS EMF meter. I think it was well organised and I will be back next year.

The only thing I think I would do different from what you guys did was maybe have a stand with a good selection of equipment that people could purchase.

I know it might be hard to have lots of stock to sell but if you could get someone from say that Toms Gadgets website in the UK to have a stall and a good selection of stock to show and sell, and maybe just have one or two samples of the larger items and allow people to have a look and place an order there at the stall and have it delivered, just like ordering from the website except you can have a go of some samples first. Maybe offer some sort of delivery discount as the stock will be coming from the UK.

I should point out I don’t work for or have anything to do with Toms Gadget website http://www.tomsgadgets.com/. They are just one of the only electronics and gadget sites that have a dedicated paranormal section and I've got stuff from them before and was a happy customer.

Anyway guys, you did a great job of organising the day.

Steve

hey smcgarr I remember the chat, I have nothing against iphone apps, I think that having something to take audio notes, some video and initial readings for a recon visit is a great idea, very handy and compact, it's not as if we get great results with our other equipment.

TBH last year I made about 10 calls to Toms Gadgets along with e mails etc and the he would not return a call. This year I never bothered getting back to him, I've bought lots from him, but not since, but we really did want someone to sell some stuff there this year and last and we all agree 100% that it is needed, we just failed on that side of things.

Stoner wrote: »
    hey smcgarr I remember the chat, I have nothing against iphone apps, I think that having something to take audio notes, some video and initial readings for a recon visit is a great idea, very handy and compact, it's not as if we get great results with our other equipment.

TBH last year I made about 10 calls to Toms Gadgets along with e mails etc and the he would not return a call. This year I never bothered getting back to him, I've bought lots from him, but not since, but we really did want someone to sell some stuff there this year and last and we all agree 100% that it is needed, we just failed on that side of things.

Yeah, the iPhone is handy alright. Not the best tool for any one thing but I always have it on me so if all else fails I have something for audio/video/notes and basic EMF recording as well as internet access to our FTP/Website/Blog. If I'm on an investigation I always stick it in an Otterbox case, makes it nearly bullet proof and still functional.

On the Toms Gadget thing. I don't think it’s fair to say you failed on it. The convention is growing each year, maybe next year you can organise some sort of stall with equipment for sale. If Toms Gadgets don't see a good business opportunity then that’s their loss. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that hard to get someone or some company in next year as the convention did get a fair amount of publicity this year in the papers and TV etc and it just makes good business sense for a company to attach its name to a popular event.

On another note, after speaking with a lot of the people who attended the convention the one thing we all more or less agreed on was that one convention a year in Ireland just doesn’t seem enough. I know it’s a lot of work but any plans for maybe another convention before this time next year or some other public type event? I don’t think you would have any problems selling tickets.
    Any other boards members agree with me on this or have any other thoughts?

Sorry for typing up what looks like an essay but it seems I always have a lot to say.

Anyway, I better get back to work. I think our network hubs are on fire here or something so I better have a look before lunch :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

No
    That was the one thing hubby said to me, was he would like to see some of this equipment for sale at the convention. There is always next year to bring it in if ye can..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No
    As Stoner said it was something we looked at from the very start. There isnt anyone in Ireland who does the gear but we have spoken to Tom in the past. I can understand a supplier not committing to come all this way when the waters are virtually unested. I think now that we are that bit more established he might be interested. Once we get through the aftermath of this year I've no doubts we'll be calling on him again. This time we carry a bit more weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

No
    even if you got a rep from Sony or Panasonic etc,,or a rep from Maplins were you could see some new devices ,,,Paul from GHI he is a new member of the team http://www.myspace.com/creepy_hollow2008

Enjoyed the day well done PIGS and everyone that showed up

No
    DANNY22XX wrote: »
    even if you got a rep from Sony or Panasonic etc,,or a rep from Maplins were you could see some new devices ,,,Paul from GHI he is a new member of the team http://www.myspace.com/creepy_hollow2008

Enjoyed the day well done PIGS and everyone that showed up

Maplins laughed at me last year :(

Anyway we'll be on it as soon as the time comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Hey.

Myself and my 2 friends went. We had a great time. I personally don't believe in most of it but it was really great to hear so many intelligent people share their experiences. Got some numbers etc, and expect to join a little investigation soon.

The event was really well done. I found Colm an excellent speaker, bought one of his books he was so convincing. Derek and Ciaran were humourous. Jack the ripper was interesting, so hard to remember so many names tho!

I do believe the stalls etc part of it could be improved slightly and quite easily. Lots of equipment there but it would be nice to see some random stands (even between stands) of gadgets but with cards describing their function etc. I think it would give people an easier way to learn about them if all the stand people are busy, or shy etc.

The psychic test available from the cute girl in the red outfit was enjoyable. Having something interactive like that was fun and I think more stuff like that would entertain people, especially if they could measure things against their friends/others.

• Advertisement

No
    theTinker wrote: »
    The psychic test available from the cute girl in the red outfit was enjoyable.

Yeah, thats my wife ..... lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

6th wrote: »
    Maplins laughed at me last year :(

Anyway we'll be on it as soon as the time comes!

yes, then I rang them thinking I'd sort it out and the woman was not one bit interested, I think I interupted her tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

No
    i agree with smcgarr on the idea of people being able to buy some stuff there .but stoner what do you expect you were interrupting the women when she was having a cuppa :D.i think the idea of the convention twice a year is a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Markyoung

To the PIGS
    Thanks for the great event. We had a lot of fun at it.
    I know Ciaran and Steve are looking forward to next year.
    The few Para.Science guys that came over/down for it had a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No
    Markyoung wrote: »
    To the PIGS
    Thanks for the great event. We had a lot of fun at it.
    I know Ciaran and Steve are looking forward to next year.
    The few Para.Science guys that came over/down for it had a great time

I dont speak for the rest of the PIGS but Im sure they feel the same. I am overwhelmed with the positive reponses and posts from people here.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

Ill agree, the event was great crack, was good to get talking to new people and seeing new faces. Everyone was very friendly there and im looking forward to next year already. :)

Hopefully by then ill have my own stand at it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No
    Anyone got any images from the day they can put up here?

Grimes wrote: »
    Anyone got any images from the day they can put up here?
    Got a few pics on the day. These are about the best i got. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

No
    Hahaha Steven exellent

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    Hahaha Steven exellent
    Thanks Danny,
    I was cleaning up a few pics in Photoshop and I just couldn't stop myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

haha they were brilliant!! Does anyone have any photo's that I could see though since I couldn't make it.

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    haha they were brilliant!! Does anyone have any photo's that I could see though since I couldn't make it.

I only have a few pics uploaded really and they are not that great as i didn't have my decent camera with me that day. I seen lots of people taking pics so someone should have a decent selection.

Here is a link to a few of my pics.
    http://www.supernaturalireland.org/index.php/photo-gallery/category/8-dublin-paranormal-convention-2009

I'm sure someone got some decent ones and will post them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

No
    hahaha great stuff Steven

Thanks Steve! Im sure I'll find more floating around at some stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4264
    The Leinster Paranormal stand

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4268
    Paranormal gadgetry

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4267
    I think that bald fella is supposed to be the psychic/medium Stefan De Gillian

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4266
    Convention room

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4265
    Tom Colton, a medium from the Spiritualists Union of Ireland (SUI)

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4263
    Dr Ciaran O' Keeffe, parapsychologist

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4261
    The convention room

picture.php?albumid=854&pictureid=4260
    This is Steve Parsons, a ghosthunter from TV, and Ciaran O' Keeffe, the parapsychologist

I couldn't make it to the Convention myself but I had these photos sent on to me by my sis, who was at it alright. Fingers crossed for next year anyway.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Thank you :D

No bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Holopimp

No
    Thanks for organising this once again, guys. I am really looking forward to what's in store for Dublin ParaCon 2010!

I've done write ups about my experiences at the convention and at the Wicklow Gaol investigation after if anyone is interested:

http://ghostcatcherie.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/dublin-paracon-7th-november-2009/

http://ghostcatcherie.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/dublin-paracon-wicklow-gaol-investigation-7th-november-2009/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Holo, nice pictures etc but seeing the amount of people doing it is a bit too much for me. It should be smaller for me. You can interpet all sorts of noises with the amount of people you have in that picture.

For me, the best way to do it room to room wise is 2 to a room and call out and basically focus.

By the way, Ciaran is great. New Most Haunted Live coming up this weekend. Tune in. Will be great :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement