Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Longford Half Marathon - 13.14M, Time: 1:33:56 (watch time) , avg. Pace: 7:08 mins/mile, stopped the watch early at the finish as I thought I had gone over the chip mat but hadn't so time was probably c.1:34:05

Just back from Longford. The race went ok as in I went sub 1:35 which was a goal of mine for the summer but I had been hoping for a time in and around 1:32 based on my training over the past month or so.

The race started well, there was the usual hustle for the first mile, lots of slower runners at the front. It was raining but not heavily so I didn't mind. My aim was to run c.7:00 mins/mile for the first half and then see how things went. The first 3 miles were 7:03/ 7:06/ 7:00 at the end of which I was still with my mate and was feeling pretty good. The start of mile 4 had a bit of an incline and we were into a head wind so I was conscious of not letting the pace drop. I ran mile 4 in 6:53 and my mate dropped back at this point. Runners were strung out more now and I was in a group who were running at about 6:50 pace so I let them go on and ended up running on my own.

At the half way point (46mins) I was still feeling strong and was on target for 1:32.

During mile 7 I started getting mild cramps in my stomach and while I still felt strong, I noticed me pace dropping off a bit. At mile 8 I stopped and answered the call of nature. I felt a bit better after this and was happy to see the water station at mile 9. They were handing out water and energy drinks, both in plastic cups, at this water stop and I proceeded to miss my mouth with the energy drink and pour it into my left eye rolleyes.gif. So I ended up having nothing to drink as I had to pour my water onto it to rinse it out.

After that fiasco I started to get a bit annoyed and then the cramps returned but thankfully they subsided after a couple of minutes.

From miles 10 -13, I was tiring and lost a decent bit of time (c.1 minute in total) and just decided to try and relax, run on feel, and do my best to get in as fast as possible.

Mile 12 involved running up a hill into the town and I have to say the Gardai/marshalls did a great job holding up the traffic to allow runners to cross through roundabout etc. Once I got into town I picked up the pace for the finish and passed a few runners over the last half mile.

My mate finished about 30 seconds after me and is delighted with his time.

Splits : 7:03 /7:06 / 7:00 / 6:53 / 6:59 / 7:06 / 7:07/ 7:20 / 7:07 / 7:31 / 7:19 / 7:10 / 7:12

Positives - sub: 1:35 box ticked. Time was about 7 mins faster than Connemara. Sub - 1:30 could be a possibility some time next year. Nice enough course, bit boring at time but it is relatively fast and flat. Well organised.

Negatives - wasting time having to take a p:ss and dealing with cramps. Being given drinks in plastic cups. Cheap cotton race t-shirt. I think when you're paying €45 to enter a race they should spend abit more on the t-shirt.
    progress.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Boit was probably knackered from his Warrior's Run victory in Strandhill yesterday.

Jesus, did he do that aswell. I wish I was cool like him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jesus, did he do that aswell. I wish I was cool like him. :(
    Boit seems to be winning everything at the moment! The 5 mile, 10 mile, 10k the day after the 10 mile, and now the Warriors Run and the Longford half? Phenomenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Do you know the time for the womens half?

Sorry RQ not too sure of this.
    A few pictures on My flickr now, see if you can count how many blokes suffered with bloody nipples today :eek:
    Also if anyone wants the original size just let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well. First Marathon successfully completed. :D Just thrilled to finish 26.2 miles but going under 4 hours was a nice bonus. Happy with how i paced it. Ran second 13 miles almost as quick as the first. Thoroughly enjoyable event and congratulations to all the organizers. I'd definitely recommend this event, particularly for first time runners as its a flat course.

In general, the weather was very wet to start with but it was more patchy from Tarmonbarry onwards. It was quite humid but there was enough of a breeze at times which was nice, particularly when we joined the N4 on the way to Newtownforbes between 19 and 22 miles. Numbers wise, I'd say there was about 1,000 between all disciplines including the relay. Although some of the rural parts were naturally quiet, i was always in sight of an athlete (probably because I finished in the general pack so to speak) and the support was enthusiastic. I was also happy that there was still a good buzz around Longford at the end, despite the fact that the half marathon athletes and al winners were all through by the time I finished.

great stuff AON, great to beat sub 4 on your first marathon. you deserve a few days off :) (but not too many).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

watergal wrote: »

Eamonn - I saw you coming in at the end .. well I heard a posse of women screaming and I looked around and saw them running the last bit with you ..
    wouldn't have minded having a posse of men waiting to welcome me home !

Yeah, that was a fun finish and just before that, Woddle spotted me and ran ahead to take my photo. Was a great boost coming up to the end.

I did a great first half, dispite a niggle in the back of the left leg. I ran the 10M faster than the Frank Duffy and my time for the half distance was a PB, but lost it in the last hour. I did 20M within 3 hours and knew I had enough to do the last six within an hour to get under the 4 hours, but no matter how hard I thought I was running, it wasnt enough. Finished in 4:00:58, I could have shaved off the 58sec if I didnt stop for the stretches and the pee stop.

When I got near to the water station at the 21M mark, I took a gel, hoping to wash it down and diluite it, but when I got to the table, they ran out of water. Was a bit off putting, but apart from that the race was good.

Within the first couple of miles, I was running alongside a guy and we were ended up keeping pace together, but we didnt speak, just ran. After a while he turned to comment about a crowd of relay runners ahead who were swapping over runners well before the changeover point. When I looked at his number, I realised I was running with Oisin11178, was a gas coincidence. I slowed to take a gel and water after the 8M mark and couldnt catch up with him again until after the finish line.

It was a great experience in that it was a marathon in the lashing rain and some strong winds. And because there was little support along the way, it was a psycologial challenge to keep up the pace and keep up with the group ahead.

Thanks also to the couple who stood at their door in Newtownforbes and cheered and clapped me along when I needed it. :)

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a fun finish and just before that, Woddle spotted me and ran ahead to take my photo. Was a great boost coming up to the end.

Great job and you looked good at the end, for a second you must have been thinking what the hell is this nut job doing. The shots came out OK but it looks like you have no arms :D, I just wasn't set up properly.

A few from today (also I'm just playing around with a bit more colour)

3871608243_658dc316ef.jpg

3871607569_87266ec826.jpg

3871606191_357e3b7ab8.jpg

Ouch :eek:
    3872423800_2f47c36298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    A few pictures on My flickr now, see if you can count how many blokes suffered with bloody nipples today :eek:

Just had a gander - very good as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just had a gander - very good as always.

great shots (of the ban garda) :D

Great job and you looked good at the end, for a second you must have been thinking what the hell is this nut job doing. The shots came out OK but it looks like you have no arms :D, I just wasn't set up properly.

They look great, If the full size versions are handy, I'll take a copy please.

All the photos turned out excellent. Saw a few bloody nipples along the way too. Bet they felt the pain in the shower afterwards. Wearing a red top has its benefits, just in case. lol. :D

• Advertisement

They look great, If the full size versions are handy, I'll take a copy please.

All the photos turned out excellent. Saw a few bloody nipples along the way too. Bet they felt the pain in the shower afterwards. Wearing a red top has its benefits, just in case. lol. :D

pm me your email and I'll send them to you in the morn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Sorry RQ not too sure of this.

great photos woddle . great quality. will have a proper look thru later and race report.

was always a bit optimistic to try and go sub 4 without much in teh way of lsrs. but took a punt anyhow. the first half in 1:51 and was feeling just fine. wheels came off not long after 15 where i stsrted to walk agood bit. in the end i finished in about 4:10.
    those last 6-8 miles were hard esp knowing a sub 4 was off the menu.
    anyhow, the race itself is well organised and i would recommend it.
    water in cups for me is a bit of a disaster and have to stop to drink . good crowds at the start with approx 1000 incl half and full.
    in retrospect sorry i didnt do the half and given it a proper lash.

well done to all involved . the drizzle was fine and running conditions werent too bad. the long bits on the N5 ? were tough as all you could see is a longggg road ahead.

the toilets portaloos at st mels were Ganky with a capital G.

hope this race keeps going cos its a nice race and well organised re traffic and plenty of water stations. thanks to teh woman who set up a mars bar and banana stop outside her house.!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'll certainly never forget yesterday and crossing that line. By the way the results are out later today according to their website so hopefully we won't have too long to check our official times. I doubt they'll be generally quite as quick as last year due to the fact that winning times were a bit slower and the conditions were pretty much ideal last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I walked the marathon yesterday and had a most enjoyable day. It was my first marathon and I finished a minute or two under six hours (by my stopwatch), which was much quicker than the 6:30 - 7:00 I expected.

The officials, volunteers and people attending the water stations on the day were excellent - I'm very grateful to all of them and to the supporters who encouraged me when I needed it. All the walkers and runners that I met on the way were also very friendly and supportive.

Overall it was a great day and although my knees and legs are very sore and the blisters on my feet are far from pleasant, it was a most enjoyable experience. If my knees hold out I plan on running a half next year and a full marathon the year after.

Thanks to everyone who supported and encouraged me on the day itself and during my training leading up to it.

Henri wrote: »
    I walked the marathon yesterday and had a most enjoyable day. It was my first marathon and I finished a minute or two under six hours (by my stopwatch), which was much quicker than the 6:30 - 7:00 I expected.

Well done Henri, that was a great achievement. All the walkers were in good spirits along the way, dispite the rain throughout the day.
    By the way the results are out later today according to their website so hopefully we won't have too long to check our official times. I doubt they'll be generally quite as quick as last year due to the fact that winning times were a bit slower and the conditions were pretty much ideal last year.

Thanks for that AON, I'm using that as an official quote (unofficial excuse) as to why I didnt get a PB yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I did a great first half, dispite a niggle in the back of the left leg. I ran the 10M faster than the Frank Duffy and my time for the half distance was a PB, but lost it in the last hour. I did 20M within 3 hours and knew I had enough to do the last six within an hour to get under the 4 hours, but no matter how hard I thought I was running, it wasnt enough. Finished in 4:00:58, I could have shaved off the 58sec if I didnt stop for the stretches and the pee stop.

When I got near to the water station at the 21M mark, I took a gel, hoping to wash it down and diluite it, but when I got to the table, they ran out of water. Was a bit off putting, but apart from that the race was good.

Within the first couple of miles, I was running alongside a guy and we were ended up keeping pace together, but we didnt speak, just ran. After a while he turned to comment about a crowd of relay runners ahead who were swapping over runners well before the changeover point. When I looked at his number, I realised I was running with Oisin11178, was a gas coincidence. I slowed to take a gel and water after the 8M mark and couldnt catch up with him again until after the finish line.

It was a great experience in that it was a marathon in the lashing rain and some strong winds. And because there was little support along the way, it was a psycologial challenge to keep up the pace and keep up with the group ahead.

Thanks also to the couple who stood at their door in Newtownforbes and cheered and clapped me along when I needed it. :)
    Yeah i was giving out stink about the relay runners in the yellow jerseys jumping in the car and getting a lift to the change over point:D
    Yeah it was at mile 8 we seperated, i slowed down expecting you to catch up but i saw you settled in at a little bit slower pace so i went. Miles 9-13 were my fastest, i think it was due to the mp3 player i had turned back on and the gel i had just taken. Waited at the finish for Aimann and went for a shower and something to eat. No commplaints but my right fot is in bits today. Im limping badly:(
    Have Dublin to look forward to now. I did it in just under 1:40 according to my garmin. Im happy with that taking into acount it was my first marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I've got about half of my pictures from yesterday uploaded... only another 450 to go...

What I've put up so far go from the start of the half finishers to the first male marathon finisher. They can be searched by bib number to make things a bit easier....

http://www.racepix365.com/Longford-Marathon-2009/photos88.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

I've just entered the Dublin marathon - despite walking like a texas ranger today.

I hope the fact that I'm off on holiday for a week at the end of Sept doesn't go against me. I won't be running during that time ( I've tried bringing the runners with me before, but they never make it out of the bag usually due to drinking too much vino the night before ...)

Is anyone else doing Dublin in 8 weeks time or am I mad ? I've never done multiple marathons before and I'll have to sort some kind of training plan out ..

watergal wrote: »
    I've just entered the Dublin marathon - despite walking like a texas ranger today.

I hope the fact that I'm off on holiday for a week at the end of Sept doesn't go against me. I won't be running during that time ( I've tried bringing the runners with me before, but they never make it out of the bag usually due to drinking too much vino the night before ...)

Is anyone else doing Dublin in 8 weeks time or am I mad ? I've never done multiple marathons before and I'll have to sort some kind of training plan out ..
    I know me and Aimann are doing Dublin and yes you are mad but most of us are:)

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I know me and Aimann are doing Dublin and yes you are mad but most of us are:)
    And before Dublin, I'm doing the Mooathon in Donegal, so that makes me a Mad Cow! :D

And before Dublin, I'm doing the Mooathon in Donegal, so that makes me a Mad Cow! :D
    I remember you said you were doing the mooathon but i didnt know it was before Dublin. Hardcore man. BTW did you see how many bloody nipples there was there yesterday. Like a warzone:)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I remember you said you were doing the mooathon but i didnt know it was before Dublin. Hardcore man. BTW did you see how many bloody nipples there was there yesterday. Like a warzone:)

Yeah, even people doing the half ended up with them, I think the rain didnt do any favours, making the tops stick to the skin. Some people put sticking plasters over them to prevent it, but I prefer a good lash of vaseline on them and the insides of the thighs. Feel a bit awkward doing it in public though, usually slink off down a quite street to do it. Mind you, if someone happend to be passing by, it might have looked worse, lol.

Was it just me, or was there a lack of medical supervision/support along the way? I spotted a civil defence ambulance driving past around the 21M mark, but didnt notice anything else about the route.

Yeah, even people doing the half ended up with them, I think the rain didnt do any favours, making the tops stick to the skin. Some people put sticking plasters over them to prevent it, but I prefer a good lash of vaseline on them and the insides of the thighs. Feel a bit awkward doing it in public though, usually slink off down a quite street to do it. Mind you, if someone happend to be passing by, it might have looked worse, lol.

Was it just me, or was there a lack of medical supervision/support along the way? I spotted a civil defence ambulance driving past around the 21M mark, but didnt notice anything else about the route.
    There must have been 100 order of malta crew in longford town its a pity none of them ventured out onto the course. I nearly got ran over after about 15 miles going over a bridge. Those deserted back roads, if you were to collapse on 1 of those:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

you'll need to get a cure for that mad cow disease ...

3 marathons in 2 months .. fair play - do you eat iron casting for breakfast ?!

hey aimman. i was looking out for you 136 and red tshirt but no sign of you. i see from ypur report that you were at mile 20 at about 3 hrs. i was at mile 20 at 3:02 so wasnt far behind ya at that point ! i saw a few photographers that i thought might have been woddle but when i said 'hey woddle' they just thought i was for the birds. he wasnt the guy that was running alongside runners in the race and stopping every so often taking pics? did ya see him. fair play to him he seemed to do the whole marathon and took photos.

hey aimman. i was looking out for you 136 and red tshirt but no sign of you. i see from ypur report that you were at mile 20 at about 3 hrs. i was at mile 20 at 3:02 so wasnt far behind ya at that point ! i saw a few photographers that i thought might have been woddle but when i said 'hey woddle' they just thought i was for the birds. he wasnt the guy that was running alongside runners in the race and stopping every so often taking pics? did ya see him. fair play to him he seemed to do the whole marathon and took photos.

Hey, you must have been beside me for most of the way. I think he was No. 36. He took a couple of pics of me and Oisin at the early stages, then stopped a couple of times to take pics of me with scenery in the background before roosky and then photoed me running over the Roosky bridge. Then he fecked off and came in 15 minutes ahead of me.:D

Would be nice if he posted the photos.

What time did you finish in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

I set a new PB for half marathon but not happy as i felt i really fell apart from mile 7 to 12.

Just wondering if the guy who fell beside me is ok. About 4 miles in, wearing a white T-Shirt. So lucky he fell into the ditch as the road was newly surfaced and would have really hurt!

I had one of those moments, should i stop or keep going, i selfishly kept going.... sorry, hope your ok!

Dingle next in two weeks, hope to go better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

• Advertisement

#65:)
    Happy with that:)

Advertisement