Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well, I know some people dont really advise it, but I'm doing the full 26.2M for my LSR.

I got a training schedule off Cool Running a couple of years ago and use it up to each marathon. It brings you up to the full distance for the last long run. I find it handy, cos I have a much better recovery after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I did a 20,21,22 and yesterdays was 24 and a bit. Was tempted to do the full distance but my left hamstring was a bit dodgy so i think i was at about 24.25. Garmin died just short of 23 which was annoying. Well done bud:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Aimman wrote: »
    Well, I know some people dont really advise it, but I'm doing the full 26.2M for my LSR.

I got a training schedule off Cool Running a couple of years ago and use it up to each marathon. It brings you up to the full distance for the last long run. I find it handy, cos I have a much better recovery after the race.

How many weeks after the 26.2m is the actual marathon? Kind of goes against most of what I've read on boards but everyone is different. Best of luck.

How many weeks after the 26.2m is the actual marathon? Kind of goes against most of what I've read on boards but everyone is different. Best of luck.

The 26M is done 3 weeks before the race. The schedule I use is here

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/128.shtml

It's the one I started using two years ago, and use it out of habit now. I'm sure there are much better ones out there, or perhaps some of the more experienced runners could see problems or drawbacks to using it, but if there is anything out there for my 2010 schedule, I'll be gratefull for the advice.

It builds up the LSRs by 2 miles every two weeks. Granted, there is not a great selection of speed work in the rest of the plan.

I found the course quite a challenge on Friday, but I'm hoping that the race day will be a different matter.

Once you get out of the town after 1.5M, you are basically running on five straight roads for the rest of the route. Its not like the city marathons that wind around various roads that will keep your mind busy, looking out for landmarks to gauge your progress etc.

The road from Termanbarry to Roosky is long with some slight inclines and windy roads, but chances of having support on the road will be slim. The town (village?) of Roosky will be a bit of a boost if its nice and sunny, and there are boats on the Shannon. But after that the road towards Newtownforbes is one car wide with a grass verge. I found it quite challenging to keep up the will to live at this point, but the fact that I ran out of drinks at the 16M point and was gagging for a drink till I got to NewTownForbes at the 22M point, put me under a lot of pressure to keep going. I'm hoping that with plenty of water stops on the way, I'll find it easier to get through that section, but if you get to run with a bit of company for the narrow roads, it will be a bonus.

Just after you go through Newtownforbes, the race meets up with the half marathon course, so if you are fast enough, there will be a few extra runners to keep you company for the last stretch.

There is a bit of a hill at the 24M point where you have to go over a railway bridge, but after that, you're on the flat and on the N4 for the last couple of miles, which I wound quite easy to do, especially when I was back amongst cars, people and signs of life, :)

Generally, there shouldnt be any problems running this marathon. It is quite flat, and once you are forewarned that it runs around long stretches of road that are quite remote and not likely to have spectators on, it should be an enjoyable race.

I think we should round up some supporters to hang about Termonbarry, Roosky and Newtownforbes for a bit of a boost. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There is a bit of a hill at the 24M point where you have to go over a railway bridge, but after that, you're on the flat and on the N4 for the last couple of miles, which I wound quite easy to do, especially when I was back amongst cars, people and signs of life, :)
    I remember that railway bridge well! It felt like it was so steep that I needed a rope to climb it. You're description of the course is spot-on. I'll definitely go back some day.

• Advertisement

Any1 planning on doing around 3.45. If so you want some company:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Any1 planning on doing around 3.45. If so you want some company:D

**** Tumbleweed blows pass *****

Looks like it's just me and you Oisin. My race number is 136. Not sure how that reflects on the final numbers, but at a a push, I'd be doing well to get in at 3:50, so you can buy the first round in the pub, and hopefully, it wont be too warm when I cross the finish line.:rolleyes:

**** Tumbleweed blows pass *****

Looks like it's just me and you Oisin. My race number is 136. Not sure how that reflects on the final numbers, but at a a push, I'd be doing well to get in at 3:50, so you can buy the first round in the pub, and hopefully, it wont be too warm when I cross the finish line.:rolleyes:
    Id be happy with 3.50 bud ill look out for you on the day. My number is 146:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

read somewhere? but now cant rem where that on line entries accepted up to mon 24th. i was half thinking of doing this race but only subject to an injury free lsr at the weekend. anyone know if entries accepted up till mon 24th . ta. i know postal entries are closed 21st .

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

How do you know what your number is? Has it been posted out to you?

I only entered yesterday so wouldn't expect any post yet but I've not received an email with a race number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kayano15

Folks, I am also doing the Longford Marathon. Just wondered if any of you tackled the Frank Duffy 10 mile at the weekend? Being mindful that we were just 2 weeks short of Longford I intended taking it easy and running 76 or 77 minutes. However, the adrenaline of the day drove me on to run a lot faster finishing in 72 minutes. I know the various programmes don't recommend racing so close to the marathon but fortunately I have recovered well from it with no injuries arising. I have reverted to my scheduled taper this week and will abide by the plan from here on in !

Kayano15 wrote: »
    Folks, I am also doing the Longford Marathon. Just wondered if any of you tackled the Frank Duffy 10 mile at the weekend? Being mindful that we were just 2 weeks short of Longford I intended taking it easy and running 76 or 77 minutes. However, the adrenaline of the day drove me on to run a lot faster finishing in 72 minutes. I know the various programmes don't recommend racing so close to the marathon but fortunately I have recovered well from it with no injuries arising. I have reverted to my scheduled taper this week and will abide by the plan from here on in !
    Im in the exact same boat as you bud. Was meant to run it as a training run and ended up running it properly. Also in 72 mins, are you stalking me:)
    Ive taken a couple of days off and am back on shedule now with taper. Only 4 mile runs and and 8 miler the weekend.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Im in the exact same boat as you bud. Was meant to run it as a training run and ended up running it properly. Also in 72 mins, are you stalking me:)
    Ive taken a couple of days off and am back on shedule now with taper. Only 4 mile runs and and 8 miler the weekend.

I started back today too after the Frank Duffy race, and did 5M and have a 5M tomorrow. few small runs for the rest of the week, but a gentle 10M this Saturday.

last 8 miles today. Only small runs left now. Looking forward to it to be honest::)

looks like ill be doing the longford mara. gen fitness good but only one real long run in the last 3 months. came thru 18 miles today unscathed so looking to give it a bash. sub 4 is the main aim. would snap ur hand off for sub 3.50.

looks like ill be doing the longford mara. gen fitness good but only one real long run in the last 3 months. came thru 18 miles today unscathed so looking to give it a bash. sub 4 is the main aim. would snap ur hand off for sub 3.50.

Nice one, see you there. I'm heading for the same target, so might be stalking you for the whole course. Let me know what your number is and I'll keep an eye out for you. Think mine is 136

Nice one, see you there. I'm heading for the same target, so might be stalking you for the whole course. Let me know what your number is and I'll keep an eye out for you. Think mine is 136

cool. i have to reg on line yet but hope to see u there.
    hope the weather is favourable too.
    i have in the past an awful habit of starting out too fast and losing it at about 15 miles so this hopefully will be my first 'stay within pace' attempt.'
    did disappointing 4:01 in dub last year. did u do?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

I'm thinking about giving Longford a bash, but just saw that the entry fee is €54!!!

cool. i have to reg on line yet but hope to see u there.
    hope the weather is favourable too.
    i have in the past an awful habit of starting out too fast and losing it at about 15 miles so this hopefully will be my first 'stay within pace' attempt.'
    did disappointing 4:01 in dub last year. did u do?

Yeah, I did Dub last year. I did it in 3:56. Thankfully Wonderwoman ran along side me for the best part of the first 15 miles, we managed to keep pace for each other, until she headed off to the toilets at the Terenure College drinks station and I had to fend for myself for the rest of the way.

No Idea who the wonderwoman was. Never got her number or got to say thanks for helping with the pacing. Even the photos of her in her outfit, I coundn't make out her number.

Did you find out if you can still register? Think the on line cut off was on Friday. You might want to ring the Computer Clinic shop in Longford town. Think the organisers work there, ask for Liam. You might be able to beg for a late entry. :D

yeah if reg on line i was told you can do this week.

actually i rem wonderwoman was with her for about 3 miles from the 19 mile mark but couldnt keep the pace. the times are about right she must have def been under 4 but i reckon not alot under 3 56 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Wally, is all go to run this as his VLVSR (I know of a number of people doing it for that). Just going to have a great day and see where it takes me (to the finish I hope). No idea what number I am.

Time: 4.29.59

yeah if reg on line i was told you can do this week.

actually i rem wonderwoman was with her for about 3 miles from the 19 mile mark but couldnt keep the pace. the times are about right she must have def been under 4 but i reckon not alot under 3 56 .

She didnt get under 3:56, because she didnt overtake me since her 15M 'pit stop' (carefully selected my choice of words there) :o

I did my last 10M tonight. meant to do it yesterday, but the weather was lousy. Ended up doing the run much quicker than i set out, but I just had loads of energy, and the weather was great, so i just went for it and enjoyed myself. Hope the legs forgive me for it.

The best part of it was when I was at my 8M point in Darty, a girl cycled passed me wearing the Longford Marathon top. Must have been doing a publicity shoot or something, because it was too white and clean to be an old one. It must be a sign, i reckon. I'm going to cycle the course, haha.

Just a few short jogs now, till Sunday. Hope the weather will be in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

@ Aimman - do you know what the 1/2 course is like, any major ascents/descents?

Cheers,

rigal

I havent followed the 1/2 marathon course, but its the same as the full until about 4.5 miles, then branches off towards Newtownforbes. Its fairly flat up to that point, but the Longford area is generally a flat area, so I would imagine that there shouldnt be any suprises. It meets up with the full route again near Newtownforbes. The only hill is the railway bridge around the 11 Mile mark. although its quite short, so should be over before you know it.

Here is the full route and I put markers where the half splits off and rejoins. there's not many roads in between, so should be easy to work out the route. :D

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/longford/968124670697777812

anybody know here one can buy gels around athlone ballinasloe loughrea thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

I did the half marathon last year and it was the first year of the new course. It is a loop course which is a change from the previous years when it was out to Tarmonbarry and back.

I can remember from last year, after doing a lap of the town with the Marathon runners, We stayed on the Athlone Road at first with the Marathon runners going straight on to the N5 Tarmonbarry road. After about 2.5 miles or so we turned right onto a local road which connected us to the N5 after the 4 mile mark. It continued to be all fairly flat after that as we went through narrow roads towards Newtownforbes but I definately remember the Railway Bridge just before the 11 mile mark as been quite tough but really the route is just as flat as the old one to Tarmonbarry and back. In fact, I think times were better last year than previous years.

This year I am tackling my first Marathon; my first and my only goal is to finish as I never managed to run more than 20 miles before, let alone 26.2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

.......... In fact, I think times were better last year than previous years.

This year I am tackling my first Marathon; my first and my only goal is to finish as I never managed to run more than 20 miles before, let alone 26.2!

Cheers AON. Best of luck on Sunday. 20 miles as your longest run to date is fine. Just remember to enjoy yourself as you only do your first marathon once!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I was training to run the Dublin marathon last year but got injured. I'm not a runner and have never done a marathon but am determined to run one within the next two years. As preparation I'm walking the Longford marathon this year.

Given the anticipated times above, I'm a little embarrassed to say that my planned finishing time is 6.45 to 7.00 hours.

I've been following a walking programme that included two 20 mile walks. The first 20 miler was about 5 weeks ago and I felt great after it. The second 20 miler was about 2.5 weeks ago - it was really tough and I've been feeling run down and tired since. A 2 mile walk today and then two x 20 mins walks before Sunday.

I'm really looking forward to it, but feeling nervous & apprehensive at the same time.

Good luck to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Will you all stay in longford the night before. And what hotel will you stay in

Advertisement