Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I'll be travelling down Sunday morning, not staying overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Henri wrote: »
    I'll be travelling down Sunday morning, not staying overnight.

That will be an early start for you so Henri, considering the walkers are heading off at 9am, but suppose it will give a chance for the porridge to settle while driving to the town. :)

BVB,
    The only hotel thats available in Longford is the Longford Arms, as far as I am aware. If you are looking for accomodation nearby, there is Keenan's Hotel in Tarmonbarry, The Percy French in Strokestown. But there's a few B&Bs between Edgesworthstown, Longford and Tarmonbarry too.

Best of luck to ye. Hope the weather on the day is not as close as today.

Also, for anyone that has done this race before, whats the finish line like? Because the numbers are not as high as the Dublin marathon etc, I'm just wondering if it pulls in a big spectator crowd. I'd imagine runners will be finishing in dribs and drabs, rather than a constant flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Aimman wrote: »
    That will be an early start for you so Henri, considering the walkers are heading off at 9am, but suppose it will give a chance for the porridge to settle while driving to the town. :)

Do you know if it'll be possible to drive the course before hand even if the walkers have started?

Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Also, for anyone that has done this race before, whats the finish line like? Because the numbers are not as high as the Dublin marathon etc, I'm just wondering if it pulls in a big spectator crowd. I'd imagine runners will be finishing in dribs and drabs, rather than a constant flow

Finish line is quiet. The locals don't really come out in numbers unfortunately. The start is good, and the support for the half mara finishers is not bad but by the time the first marathon runners get home there's not too many on the streets, except for the last 100 or 200 meters where there's some onlookers.
    rigal wrote: »
    Do you know if it'll be possible to drive the course before hand even if the walkers have started?

The roads are not closed to traffic so probably ok to drive the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Im staying in the longford arms on the saturday night and the sunday night. Plan on having a few shandies on the sunday:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hi . anyone know if water cups or bottles at stations ? ta

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

hi . anyone know if water cups or bottles at stations ? ta

Last year it was water cups every 3 miles for the Half anyway.

Looks like we'll need plenty of water too. Its looking fairly warm for Sunday. 20 degrees and fairly clammy. Not ideal conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

The only hotel thats available in Longford is the Longford Arms, as far as I am aware. If you are looking for accomodation nearby, there is Keenan's Hotel in Tarmonbarry, The Percy French in Strokestown. But there's a few B&Bs between Edgesworthstown, Longford and Tarmonbarry too.

There's an hotel bang across the road from the Longford Arms - turned up there last year and they'd lost my registration :( Ended up at Longford Country House, a really nice place but which is about 10-15 mins drive from town.

Whoo hooo!!!!! The mile markers are now painted on the road and the finish line has been marked on the road outside the Pharmacy.

All thats left is a 2M run tomorrow, load up on the pasta and grease the nipples. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I won't be running this this year but I'm giving my cousin a lift from Dublin so I said why not bring the camera, so I'll be hanging around the start and finish probably wearing a black adidas top with white stripes, so be sure to say hello and I'll try pay special attention to you for a race photo.
    Best of luck all.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    I won't be running this this year but I'm giving my cousin a lift from Dublin so I said why not bring the camera, so I'll be hanging around the start and finish probably wearing a black adidas top with white stripes, so be sure to say hello and I'll try pay special attention to you for a race photo.
    Best of luck all.

Nice one, I'll look out for you and give you my best painfull grimace. I'll be the one in the red top with EAMONN written on the top, dont think there will be too many like it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

I'm going to be running the Half Marathon on Sunday and wont be arriving in Longford until around 9:30am (and i have never been there before). Does anyone know if it will be possibe to get into the town with all of the road closures?

Or even better, if there is somewhere that it would be best to try and park? (half a mile away from the start line wouls be grand!!:o)

Thanks a milion!:)

I'm going to be running the Half Marathon on Sunday and wont be arriving in Longford until around 9:30am (and i have never been there before). Does anyone know if it will be possibe to get into the town with all of the road closures?

Or even better, if there is somewhere that it would be best to try and park? (half a mile away from the start line wouls be grand!!:o)

Thanks a milion!:)

I'd aim to get there an hour ealier than that and then you should have no problem parking at race HQ at St Mel's.

That will be an early start for you so Henri, considering the walkers are heading off at 9am, but suppose it will give a chance for the porridge to settle while driving to the town. :)...

That's the plan, except it will probably be tuna and pasta.

Henri wrote: »
    That's the plan, except it will probably be tuna and pasta.
    For Breakfast???? Thats hard core, lol.

Why tuna btw? I've cut out protien from this morning until straight after the race, to make more room in the muscles for the glycogen.

I know there's plenty of different tips and diet plans and they all have different benefits, but was wondering if protien helps much just before a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Nice one, I'll look out for you and give you my best painfull grimace. I'll be the one in the red top with EAMONN written on the top, dont think there will be too many like it :-)

Are you O'Hara?

RJC wrote: »
    Are you O'Hara?
    The Sligo Footballer? No, just a regular breed of runner. Is he running on Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck with this tomorrow folks. Looking forward to the race reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

For Breakfast???? Thats hard core, lol.

Why tuna btw? I've cut out protien from this morning until straight after the race, to make more room in the muscles for the glycogen.

I know there's plenty of different tips and diet plans and they all have different benefits, but was wondering if protien helps much just before a race?

A small amount of protein will aid storing carbohydrate and converting it into glycogen. As far as i know, it doesn't "take up room" or inhibit glycogen storage.

For Breakfast???? Thats hard core, lol...

Not my normal breakfast :) But as I'm walking I'll be out for about 7 hours and will need a good meal to sustain me.

I don't have a great knowledge of that type of stuff to be honest. However, from previous experience tuna and pasta gives me a good energy boost. I've no doubt but that there are better meals to start the day with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I ran the half marathon in Longford today and apparently the route was a change from the usual flat course to one that offered a couple of hills!!! The hill just after mile 10 was tough as I could feel myself lagging a bit!

I also done it in less than 2 hours which impressed me alot as it was my first half marathon and I thought I would have taken longer as a result! Suppose you can't beat the power of a running partner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

Any results or winners from today, how was it?? Torrential rain out west so hope conditions were better in Longford...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

well I did a personal worst time ! - beating last years by being 5 mins slower today.. however, I have to say that I enjoyed it much more this year- there seemed to be a lot more people out there.
    Saying that, I think I'll go back to the half mararthon as this course obviously doesn't suit me as last year I ran 10 mins slower than my last worse time and this year I was 15 mins slower .. so it'll be back to the city marathons that don't involve hard shoulders ...

and yes it rained for the whole time that I was out there ...

Eamonn - I saw you coming in at the end .. well I heard a posse of women screaming and I looked around and saw them running the last bit with you ..
    wouldn't have minded having a posse of men waiting to welcome me home !

hello to the very nice man from Newry who kept me company for most of the marathon and also the Monaghan man who was doing his first marathon. I hope you got there ok ! I lost you after 14 miles or so, but I;m sure you weren't far behind..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yes the weather was ****ty and the half marathon course was a bit of a f**ker in spots!!! I ran it 3 - 4 mins quicker than predicted so it was a result for me anyway with a time of around 1hr 58 or so! Not bad Id say for a self trained first timer but i know Id get my ass kicked when it comes to bragging so be gentle haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

brutes wrote: »
    Any results or winners from today, how was it?? Torrential rain out west so hope conditions were better in Longford...

Josphat Boit won the half in a very slow 74 mins, Pauline Curley won the womens half.

Sergi won the full in a time of 2'25, I think the first Irish man was Peter Mooney in and around 2'51.
    Lucy Brennan won the womens full in 2'53 I think, I'll have a few pics up later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you know the time for the womens half?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Woddle wrote: »
    Josphat Boit won the half in a very slow 72 mins, Pauline Curley won the womens half.

Boit was probably knackered from his Warrior's Run victory in Strandhill yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Well. First Marathon successfully completed. :D Just thrilled to finish 26.2 miles but going under 4 hours was a nice bonus. Happy with how i paced it. Ran second 13 miles almost as quick as the first. Thoroughly enjoyable event and congratulations to all the organizers. I'd definitely recommend this event, particularly for first time runners as its a flat course.

In general, the weather was very wet to start with but it was more patchy from Tarmonbarry onwards. It was quite humid but there was enough of a breeze at times which was nice, particularly when we joined the N4 on the way to Newtownforbes between 19 and 22 miles. Numbers wise, I'd say there was about 1,000 between all disciplines including the relay. Although some of the rural parts were naturally quiet, i was always in sight of an athlete (probably because I finished in the general pack so to speak) and the support was enthusiastic. I was also happy that there was still a good buzz around Longford at the end, despite the fact that the half marathon athletes and al winners were all through by the time I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Art of Noise. To run almost even splits at any time is good. To do it on your first is excellent. Enjoy the post-marathon celebration.

• Advertisement

Well done Art of Noise. To run almost even splits at any time is good. To do it on your first is excellent. Enjoy the post-marathon celebration.

+1 Great stuff AON, huge congratulations, you'll never forget today.

Advertisement