Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jeremy Renner will appear in a cameo role as Hawkeye

:)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I'm liking the look of this. It looks like it's going to be the best Marvel have put out since Iron Man, which really isn't saying too much since The Incredible Hulk was garbage and Iron Man 2 was mediocre at best, Sam Rockwell and Scarlett Johansson were probably the only reasons to watch that film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think TIH gets a bad rap, I mean personally speaking I have both films on DVD and TIH is the one that would get more repeat viewings. I think Marvel were kinda scared of going too deep with the plot after Ang Lee's Hulk. I do think TIH is a good action movie, but obviously it didn't work out for Marvel the way they wanted after the poor box office performance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I second that , Incredible Hulk was pretty decent I thought. I liked Ang Lee's version too but it never felt like it was set in the marvel universe. There was some great set pieces in the newer one and it was a decent Hulk movie, I liked the little bit of nostalgia for the tv show thrown in there too. I'm glad it was made as its a nice pre-cursor to the Avengers and fits in along with Iron Man too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Don't know why so many people didn't like the Incredible Hulk it blew ang lees version out of the water for me, Having Abombination played by tim roth was brilliant and a Leader tease at the end which will hopefully come to fruition in the future, Same with Iron Man 2 thought it was great except for the final battle which was over after a second , Don Cheadle did a great job as WarMachine too, And where is Hawkeye going to fit in in the Thor Movie after credits scene i bet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the one thing i liked about the incredible hulk was it gave us a taste of what a captain america vs the hulk battle would look like as thats essentially what tim roths character was prior to becoming the abomination.

little things like his platoon being knackered trying to keep up with him were a nice touch too.

the films on TV3 at 9.15 tonight too for those interested.

back on thor, interesting to hear who the cameo is meant to be. love to see how it ties in though. the obvious thing is at the end like all the others but i wouldnt mind seeing them vary that a bit to keep things fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

After watching Hulk again the other night on TV3 i very much agree that Blonsky fighting Hulk was pretty much what Cap fighting Hulk should look like, cept for the part where Blonsky is blown into a tree, which was rather painful lol, Anyway theres supposed to be the 1st trailer for Cap being released next week

Also up on comicbookmovie.com, Theres practilly full spoilers of the whole Thor movie, I hate when people post these things it ruins the movie months before it comes out , because as much as you don't want to read it you're still intrigued, I read the 1st 3 or 4 lines and couldn't go any further, Don't want to ruin it for myself

No idea why some people want the whole film spoiled for them. I went into TDK without having a clue about how things were going to go down and that's how I like it. Whereas others had read a script and knew every single detail. They maintain that it doesn't ruin the cinematic experience but personally it would for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^ yea, imagine seeing something like the usual suspects and already knowing the ending. Why would ya??

yeah, same would go for something like the sixth sense.

i can understand why people are interested but i prefer to see the film cold myself now. its not fecking easy though these days, hell its getting so the damn trailers give too much away sometimes.

on the news, great to hear were getting a cap trailer soon.

i was starting to worry about whether the film was becoming a clusterfeck or not so little was being released about it.

the pics ive seen look good but its still an easy one to mess up.

fingers crossed though cap and thor will be the surprise quality films of this year. im really jazzed about thor now from what ive seen of it.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

New Trailer online:

Looks kinda impressive TBH. I think between this and Captain America, I'm looking forward to Thor more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

is it out in may?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

is it out in may?

May 6th it says on IMDB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Loki gets his curvy horn helmet? Hoh boy....

Since seeing the trailers with the Earth/Midgard sections I'm more optimistic as the movie seems to at least embrace part of the Marvel Ultimate universe version of Thor who was dismissed as a delusional mental patient.

Wish that version of Thor's costume was kept though, I dislike the chainmail'd arms outfit and the Asgard sections still seem like cheese grated through the dirty brown 300 filter for me.

"Oh look, here comes Othello talking total crap as usual." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

thor-more-new-images-online-05-470-75.jpg
    Marvel have released a couple more stills from their upcoming Thor comic adaptation, as well as a triplet of character posters for the film.

The movie stills concentrate on Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and love-interest Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who become close when Thor is banished from Asgard to Earth.

Meanwhile, the new posters show off Thor in his full battle regalia, evil brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and nemesis The Destroyer – who lives up to that name in the film’s latest trailer.

Check out all the new images below…
    thor-more-new-images-online-03-470-75.jpg
    thor-more-new-images-online-02-470-75.jpg
    thor-more-new-images-online-154-75.jpgthor-more-new-images-online-00-154-75.jpgthor-more-new-images-online-01-154-75.jpg
    Thor opens 27 April.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/thor-more-new-images-online?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=totalfilm&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalfilm%2Fimdbnews+%28Total+Film+IMDb+aggregate%29

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can those posters be real? They look f*cking terrible. Like somone snipped photos and pasted them over a cartoon image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'm sure they look alot better blown up.

Seems they're a bit too cluttered, but it shouldn't be too bad full size.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

humanji wrote: »
    Can those posters be real? They look f*cking terrible. Like somone snipped photos and pasted them over a cartoon image.

The Loki and Thor posters are direct takes on images from the comic. Not too pushed on what the posters end up looking like though as long as the film is good.

Personally I think the Destroyer poster looks fantastic. Imagine that as a big ass poster on billboards and in the cinema...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I didn't noticed it before but are they adding the 'The Mighty Avenger' tagline to Thor now? Like Cap's 'The First Avenger'?

• Advertisement

well just back from seeing this.

i liked it !

thor was ALWAYS going to be a dodgy one as it can become a campfest way to easily but i think branagh got it about as right as anyone could.

the costumes are fantastic.

they really do look like a jack kirby drawing come to life and with the sumteous vistas of asgard behind them they dont look ridiculous in the least. asgard itself gets a good looking at and theres beautiful statues and palaces on display.

i was moaning on another thread that alot of designers seem to get lazy when designing alien worlds these days but alot of love went into this.

the film itself is alot funnier than i thought it was going to be
    theres a runing gag with thor getting knocked down all the time and having to come to terms with being depowered , mainly at the hospital.

helmsworth himself plays the role beautifully. you like the guy but you can clearly see he's full of himself and theres a nice arc where he comes to understand whats expected of him by the end.

what surprised me is how intimate this film is at time. it really homes in on the themes of responsibility and family with some lovely acting from helmsworth , hopkins and hiddlston.

hiddleston is wonderful as loki and
    while clearly he's pulling the strings from the start you can understand why no one cops it so convincing is he as "your friend"

indeed it spills over to earth where the relationships between the earth cast are genuinly shown to be as caring.

this film ISNT as action packed as you might think but when it does kick off the combat scences are handled VERY well. particularly the scene
    set on the frost giants world (i cant spell that so im not even going to try ! ) we see some lovely uses of mjolnir including the comic classic "spinning hammer" which is used to geat effect and throughout the film there are some wonderfull "moments" where you just look at it and go "whoa". these are great as you genuinly do buy the "god" mantle that thor is supposed to bear and they cement that.

its quite a long film and in places it does feel like it loses momentum, but the film is far more succesful than not in suspending your disbelief and half the time what your looking at is so beautiful you really dont mind.

i went to see this in 2D with the bro as he cant see the 3D one thanks to a gammy eye so i really dont know how the process enhances the film but i was perfectly happy with 2D

for those interested there IS another clip at the end of the credits like with iron man 1 and 2 though it may be one that confuses people

a synopsis below. dont read if ya dont want to know.
    the professor in it meets nick fury below some compound who shows him a breifcase and talks about an other dimensional powersource, potentially unlimited. and makes reference to the past. i presume this is a reference to the cosmic cube thats meant to be in captain america. also its at this stage we see that loki ISNT dead and indeed is manipulating said professor. this may mean loki is the main villain in avengers, just like that comics origin story

oh and we get our cameo.
    hawkeye, during the bit where thor tries to take back mjolnir from sheild.

i dont know if this is for everyone TBH , but i loved it and cant really see a way they couldve done it better. theres some great humour in it and its genuinly touching at time with some great visuals and nifty battles. its a nice bright colourful superhero film. if ya fancy that its right up your street.

7/10

I really enjoyed it, solid acting from all involved and I thought the 3D was rather excellent. I usually have no time for it but it really was used well in this film.

It is also surprisingly hilarious, the audience in my viewing let out a few collective roars of laughter watching everything unfold. Kat Denning's character is great comic relief while Hemsworth does a fine job of balancing the various aspects of Thor's personality, from endearing buffoon to honourable and solemn warrior.

Tom Hiddleston is a breath of fresh air as Loki, a villain yet someone you can't quite bring yourself to hate.

All in all, I think it's arguably studio's most polished film to date, hopefully the box office will reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just back as well, went to see the 2d version as i'm a bit underwhelmed by 3d
    Hemsworth was very good but seeing as Stellan Skarsgard was in it i was thinking that his son Alexander would have been a good Thor as well

alexander_skarsgard.jpg
    watch out for a cameo of J.M.Straczinski [sp?] the writer for the film who also created Babylon 5 discovering the hammer, and the ubiquitous Stan Lee cameo

Loki was very good but i kept thinking he looked like a younger Michael Fassbender who would have been great in the role as well

and after all these years i finally get to hear how Mjolnir is pronounced and i was right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I thought it was pretty damn awful. Hemsworth is likeable, and it was good to see
    Jeremy Renner
    pop up as I hadn't heard he was in it, but that aside, it was pants. Pretty much Clash of the Titans mark 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Was Thor filmed in 3D or is a conversion like Clash of the Titans was?

Was Thor filmed in 3D or is a conversion like Clash of the Titans was?

A conversion but the effecs were done in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Going tonight at 9.30. Looking forward to seeing it.

Skerries wrote: »

alexander_skarsgard.jpg

I think that it actually came down to him and Hemsworth, having seen the film I'm glad Hemsworth got it as I'm not sure Skarsgard would have been able to capture the various different aspects of Thor's personality. At the very least, I don't think anyone could have done much better in the role than Hemsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

really really enjoyed this thought the effects looked great and it had a solid storyline 3d also wasnt as distracting as normal as im not a fan of 3d at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Seen this earlier, decent film. Would put it on a par with Iron Man 1, head and shoulders above the other Marvel tripe (X-Men not included). Would agree what others said above, except for the 3D. It was bloody terrible. Any scene remotely dark, you couldn't tell what was going on (most of the 1st half of the movie). Where Avatar (the last 3D movie I saw) was bright for the most part, this was dark hence it didn't work. The scenes on Earth were ok but off planet they could have really used 2D. Everyone that came with me said the exact same thing. I will strongly think of never watching a 3 D movie after this, it is a real waste, be warned.

Advertisement