Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Marvel Studios announced today that Academy Award® nominated actress Natalie Portman has been cast to star as Jane Foster in the studio's highly anticipated movie Thor. In the early "Thor" comics, Jane Foster was a nurse who became Thor's first love. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Portman will star opposite Chris Hemsworth who will play Thor and Tom Hiddleston who will play the villain Loki. Kenneth Branagh will direct the film.

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige will produce Thor. Principal photography for the film is set for early 2010. The film will be released in the US on May 20, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Marvel Studios expands its film universe with a new type of superhero: Thor. This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Portman will next be seen starring in Jim Sheridan's Brothers opposite Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire. She recently wrapped production on Hesher, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and executive produced by her production company handsomecharlie films, and Don Roos' Love and Other Impossible Pursuits, which also she executive produced. In 2004, she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress as well as an Academy Award nomination in the same category for Closer. She also earned critical acclaim for her role in Garden State and is most well known for her role as Queen Padme Amidala in the "Star Wars" trilogy. Other film credits include The Other Boleyn Girl, V For Vendetta, Cold Mountain, Anywhere But Here, Heat, Beautiful Girls, and The Professional.

Thor is one of a continuing slate of films being produced by Marvel Studios based on the Marvel characters, including Iron Man 2 on May 7, 2010, The First Avenger: Captain America on July 22, 2011, and The Avengers on May 4, 2012.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/thornews.php?id=8505

Interesting development as Kevin Feige stated that Donald Blake (Thor's alter ego) wouldn't be in this movie. But I guess things can change.

Then again, maybe they'll go down the "Ultimates" route and have Thor seen as insane once he is
    banished to earth and depowered . So once Thor is kicked into an insane asylum Foster (Portman) will just be his nurse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this as well as looking forward to how Marvel begins to increasingly bleed the individual worlds of their superheroes into each other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The comic con trailer looks awesome

I'm really sorry to say, but no it doesn't. It looks like a pile of sh!te to be honest! I had high hopes for this...........They are now dashed in to Xmen Origins looking pieces. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The sound is half a minute out of sync with the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to say, but no it doesn't. It looks like a pile of sh!te to be honest! I had high hopes for this...........They are now dashed in to Xmen Origins looking pieces. :(

Agreed. I'd say it's in that territory near, say, The Incredible Hulk rather than the pleasant surprise that Iron Man was. I remember telling a friend that I thought Iron Man actually looked good based on the trailer before he came back and agreed. I think Thor looks to be okay at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

WTF was wrong with the Incredible Hulk? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    WTF was wrong with the Incredible Hulk? :confused:

No gamma poodle. I struggle to recall it and didn't feel like anything actually happened. From what I remember. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kat Dennings in Thor?....cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Not hugely excited but not as terrible as I thought it would be. Don't like all them silly outfits I wish they could have gone a little more realistic with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

hoooo baby !

i was expecting the trailer to be the same as the one from the comicon so its great to see how much more has gone into the special effects.

to me THOR was gonna be the hard sell for the avengers movies but im quite stoked after seeing that

delighted its got a 2d showing too. the bro's eye got messed up in a crash and cant go to 3d ones so at least he can see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

Looks awful. Destined to be a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

To be honest, i was quiet impressed by the trailer. It looks a lot better than i thought it would it. The effects look good but i'd still be wary of the 3D side of it.
    I reckon this will do pretty well, with the success of the Iron-Man francise and the whole build up to the Avengers. But you gotta wonder if this was a stand alone movie, and had no ties to the Avengers / Marvel Universe (like the Spiderman & X-men movies), would there be as much hype about it?

Also, looking forward to seeing how it ties in with the extra scene at the end of Iron Man 2 -
    The crater in the desert where the Mjolnir landed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MrSir wrote: »
    Not hugely excited but not as terrible as I thought it would be. Don't like all them silly outfits I wish they could have gone a little more realistic with this.

To be honest I think I like the fact it's set as a fantasy film, comic films seemed to be drifting into a place where they were becoming ultra realistic and less fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Also, looking forward to seeing how it ties in with the extra scene at the end of Iron Man 2 -
    The crater in the desert where the Mjolnir landed

From what was said by both Favreau and Whedon,
    The Incredible Hulk is mostly set after Iron Man 2 with a small bit of an overlap, check out what is playing on the tv screen when Stark is meeting with Nick Fury in IM2. It is the news report footage from the Hulk.

Thor's timeline overlaps some of Iron Man 2 and some of the Incredible Hulk. The scene in The Incredible Hulk where Hulk and Betty sit in the cave sheltering from the storm with all the lightning flashing is meant to coincide with some event in the Thor film.

Kess73 wrote: »
    From what was said by both Favreau and Whedon,
    The Incredible Hulk is mostly set after Iron Man 2 with a small bit of an overlap, check out what is playing on the tv screen when Stark is meeting with Nick Fury in IM2. It is the news report footage from the Hulk.

Thor's timeline overlaps some of Iron Man 2 and some of the Incredible Hulk. The scene in The Incredible Hulk where Hulk and Betty sit in the cave sheltering from the storm with all the lightning flashing is meant to coincide with some event in the Thor film.

Yeah i knew that
    Incredible Hulk was set afetr IM2, but i think the lightning in the cave was just mainly fan speculation that it was a reference to Thor. I doubt that Hulk and Thor would have met at that stage for him to realise the lightning was coming from a "friend".

Hopefully the Thor movie (& Captain America) will give us some insight into how The Avengers will play out, i.e. Thor being recruited by Stark/Fury to stop a rampaging monster - a.k.a The Incredible Hulk :D

Yeah i knew that
    Incredible Hulk was set afetr IM2, but i think the lightning in the cave was just mainly fan speculation that it was a reference to Thor. I doubt that Hulk and Thor would have met at that stage for him to realise the lightning was coming from a "friend".

Hopefully the Thor movie (& Captain America) will give us some insight into how The Avengers will play out, i.e. Thor being recruited by Stark/Fury to stop a rampaging monster - a.k.a The Incredible Hulk :D

The storm is not meant to be
    Thor helping the Hulk. It is meant to be some event happening at the same time in the Thor movie, and Hulk and Betty are miles away from it.

The fight Hulk had with the soldiers just before the storm is the news report that comes up on the tv screen that plays in the background in Iron Man 2 when Stark is meeting Nick Fury, so there is a slight overlap with IM2 and The Incredible Hulk also.

The storm is not meant to be
    Thor helping the Hulk. It is meant to be some event happening at the same time in the Thor movie, and Hulk and Betty are miles away from it.

The fight Hulk had with the soldiers just before the storm is the news report that comes up on the tv screen that plays in the background in Iron Man 2 when Stark is meeting Nick Fury, so there is a slight overlap with IM2 and The Incredible Hulk also.

I actually spotted that news clip.
    What i was saying about the storm was that people were speculating it was Thor shooting lightning to try and calm Hulk some how, because just before the flash of lightning, he was screaming out into the open sky, and then the flash of lightning calmed him down. But I doubt it actually has anything to with Thor, probably just thrown in to get fans thinking :D

I actually spotted that news clip.
    What i was saying about the storm was that people were speculating it was Thor shooting lightning to try and calm Hulk some how, because just before the flash of lightning, he was screaming out into the open sky, and then the flash of lightning calmed him down. But I doubt it actually has anything to with Thor, probably just thrown in to get fans thinking :D

Whedon and Favreau commented on it at Comic con though, and they said it tied in with something Branagh was doing in Thor. They refused to be drawn as to what event it was, but they said it was a major scene in Thor and was not related to the Hulk storyline but that it was happening at the same time as that scene in The Incredible Hulk.

Which has me thinking that it is either when
    Thor gets kicked out of Asgard by Odin, or when Thor becomes worthy of the hammer again and picks it up, or Thor unleashing the elements when taking on the Destroyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Looking forward to next summers comic movie fest.

• Advertisement

Whedon and Favreau commented on it at Comic con though, and they said it tied in with something Branagh was doing in Thor.

Don't they mean that Branagh will be doing something that ties into the lightning scene in The Hulk :p, as it was brought out like 2 years ago!!!!

Don't they mean that Branagh will be doing something that ties into the lightning scene in The Hulk :p, as it was brought out like 2 years ago!!!!

They may well have said that, and I just made a pig's ear of repeating it here. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

To be honest, i was quiet impressed by the trailer. It looks a lot better than i thought it would it. The effects look good but i'd still be wary of the 3D side of it.

I predict many shots of the hammer flying towards the audience. :pac: I'm sort of looking forward to this film, thor isn't something I read or watched much before but I like the idea of the crossovers and incorporations of different storylines in the comics becoming a feature of the films, even if its just for the purpose of building a franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'd say its a fair bet that your gonna see ALOT of forking lightening as well.

which TBH could look bloody cool in 3D .

:)

but yeah that hammers going to be flying into and out of that screen quite abit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I would really hope that a director of Brannagh's caliber would avoid such cheap shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I would really hope that a director of Brannagh's caliber would avoid such cheap shots.
    The thing is, the studio will have pushed for a 3D film, so he's not going to have a say in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

People now protesting about the black actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Nolanger wrote: »
    People now protesting about the black actor.

Penny arcade were very gentle on this. As are a number of other sources.

Quite frankly the website and those protesting the black actor are racist because of the following:

THOR as a franchise takes a big old **** over Norse mythology at regular intervals throughout its years, from being best buds with Hercules to having his original origin story involve him being disabled medical student fighting alines.

Yet after over 40 years of publication the only thing they get into hissy fit over is a black actor playing a Norse God...

This is the key difference between the Avatar asian debate and the Thor black debate. In avatar an american created series they drew a vast majority of the show's themes and spirituality from asian culture.

Thor as a franchise has shown a shallow puddles worth of respect to Norse mythology and has been driven by the creative moods of the numerous different writing staff and editor desicions over its entire duration.

There is no integrety to protect here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw the trailer the other day, and wasn't what I was expecting. Was assuming Branagh would be quite minimalist - well, as minimalist as you can get with Marvel properties! - but it looks fairly visually explosive. On the fence, but it at least looks somewhat different to the usual comic book fare.

Plus it has Natalie Portman, one of the surefire ways of tricking me out of my money. Damn you!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lookin like there's going to be a pretty cool Avengers related cameo!! Click on the link to see who!

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/column-post/exclusive-jeremy-renners-hawkeye-will-cameo-thor-23531?_r=true

Advertisement