Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC returning to Dublin for st Paddy's day 2010?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Bruce Buffer

Ill be delighted if they come back for another show over here but hopefully not on Paddys night. With a lot of people drinking all day (cause that's what paddys day is all about to some people :rolleyes: )there's bound to be trouble at it.

Ill be delighted if they come back for another show over here but hopefully not on Paddys night. With a lot of people drinking all day (cause that's what paddys day is all about to some people :rolleyes: )there's bound to be trouble at it.

I'd be delighted too as I missed the last one:mad:
    Even if they went to the UK before they came here I'd love to go to that.
    How much do the tickets run at for a semi close seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I'd be delighted too as I missed the last one:mad:
    Even if they went to the UK before they came here I'd love to go to that.
    How much do the tickets run at for a semi close seat?

I think there is a UK show in November....not sure bout ticket prices...probably on ticketmaster somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

I think there is a UK show in November....not sure bout ticket prices...probably on ticketmaster somewhere.

November 14th in manchester - tickets on sale next month:) no word of whos fighting yet tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Sammy83 wrote: »
    I think it's an AWFUL idea to have a UFC event in Ireland on Paddy's Day. I'm embarrassed enough about Dublin as it is, let alone on National 'Act the B*llix' day.

This was pretty much my thinking the minute I read it. TBH Im fairly embarrassed when any kind of Irish crowds are mixed with drink, it's pathetic. Anyone at 93 would have witnessed the hoards of pissed scummers, which was cringeworthy. Can't imagine what kind of a spectacle we're in for next March

UFC back to Ireland = Great.
    UFC back to Ireland on "Patty's" day = Recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    This was pretty much my thinking the minute I read it. TBH Im fairly embarrassed when any kind of Irish crowds are mixed with drink, it's pathetic. Anyone at 93 would have witnessed the hoards of pissed scummers, which was cringeworthy. Can't imagine what kind of a spectacle we're in for next March

UFC back to Ireland = Great.
    UFC back to Ireland on "Patty's" day = Recipe for disaster.

I don't mind people having a few drinks at an event (Sure id have 1 or 2 myself) but when you see people getting absolutely locked its an embarrassment. A chap sitting beside me at 93 must have went out around 10 times to get drink and I had to stand up every time to let him out.

I don't mind people having a few drinks at an event (Sure id have 1 or 2 myself) but when you see people getting absolutely locked its an embarrassment. A chap sitting beside me at 93 must have went out around 10 times to get drink and I had to stand up every time to let him out.

Ah yeah, completely. I'd have a couple myself, but some of the stuff I saw at the last one was mind-boggling, including an entire row of scumbag skinheads - clad head to toe in tapout gear - POURING pints on an entire row of people in front of them every time either of the fighters threw a punch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The amount of drink just spilt on the last Dublin UFC was a disgrace. Puddles of the stuff everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Anderson Silva was picked to headline that Fight Night because his fights always drew poorly. The idea was that he'd have an impressive win and that more people would pay to see him on PPV. Although it didn't work out so well

Forrest, on the other hand, is a much bigger draw than Anderson. Perhaps he'll really want to fight in Dublin rather than collect a big PPV bonus on another show, but it'll be very hard to find an opponent of his level who'll agree to the same thing

So I really doubt that Forrest will be on the show

If it's a Fight Night then there's a good chance that there'll be a few Irish fighters on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

November 14th in manchester - tickets on sale next month:) no word of whos fighting yet tho

Don't think the Manchester card will be good as there's a scheduled card for Vegas the week later so I wouldn't waste my money on a brit fest of Paul Taylor, Paul Kelly, John Hathaway, Ross Pearson, Dan Hardy etc etc. Spike TV and fighter overkill written all over it.
    Plus with Bisping getting Ko'd in spectacular fashion by Hendo which I had the pleasure of seeing live I feel Hardy will be the main event possibly against someone like Fitch as Kampmann and Swick are fighting at 103 for next WW title shot.

Back to the topic. I think Paddy's day would be a disaster. However, Paddy's weekend before or after would be ideal.
    You're always going to get this tough guy stand em up stop rolling around like two qu**rs etc etc from cards across here as the sport is still gaining momentum over here. BTW the UK cards I've been to have been worse than the Dublin one for this.
    A US UFC is something to experience if you have the money and is worth slipping aside a few European shows for one big show which I did for 100. Hopefully I'll do the same and go to the new years one which is Rampage vs Rashad and more than likely GSP again.

Plus from a money point of view anyone trying to get a hotel for Paddy's night or night before will have to drop some serious notes.

• Advertisement

Odats wrote: »
    Plus from a money point of view anyone trying to get a hotel for Paddy's night or night before will have to drop some serious notes.

That is a really good point hotels would be booked out already without the UFC.

rovert wrote: »
    That is a really good point hotels would be booked out already without the UFC.

Book'em ASAP. I don't see why they'd be so expensive in the current climate; the hotel indutry is dying a death, buyer's market etc etc etc. With 8 or 9 months notice Im sure u cud get somethin good for relatively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

consultech wrote: »
    Book'em ASAP. I don't see why they'd be so expensive in the current climate; the hotel indutry is dying a death, buyer's market etc etc etc. With 8 or 9 months notice Im sure u cud get somethin good for relatively cheap.

Hostel ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Odats wrote: »
    Don't think the Manchester card will be good as there's a scheduled card for Vegas the week later so I wouldn't waste my money on a brit fest of Paul Taylor, Paul Kelly, John Hathaway, Ross Pearson, Dan Hardy etc etc. Spike TV and fighter overkill written all over it.
    Plus with Bisping getting Ko'd in spectacular fashion by Hendo which I had the pleasure of seeing live I feel Hardy will be the main event possibly against someone like Fitch as Kampmann and Swick are fighting at 103 for next WW title shot.

Back to the topic. I think Paddy's day would be a disaster. However, Paddy's weekend before or after would be ideal.
    You're always going to get this tough guy stand em up stop rolling around like two qu**rs etc etc from cards across here as the sport is still gaining momentum over here. BTW the UK cards I've been to have been worse than the Dublin one for this.
    A US UFC is something to experience if you have the money and is worth slipping aside a few European shows for one big show which I did for 100. Hopefully I'll do the same and go to the new years one which is Rampage vs Rashad and more than likely GSP again.

I've been hearing from quite a few peeps in the know that Dan Hardy v Matt Hughes will be on the Manchester Card, an interesting fight

Defo want to try get over for that, haven't been to one yet, actually now that i think of it, there's direct flights from Galway to Manchester.... even better :D

Come out of that!!, the same people who cause trouble on Paddys day are the same scumbags who cause trouble all the time, the difference is they just ALL coverage on the city center's for this particular day, you give the impression that normal,decent people(who would be the majority, same as every other event etc.... scummers generally don't pay into things) aren't capable of behaving themselves because it's Paddys day??.... don't agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I always thought it was a terrible idea for the UFC to hold an event in Ireland on Paddy's Day when Dana first talked about it last year. :mad:

I was hoping he'd see sense and change his mind about it.

At 93 there was a row of locked c***s from Cork behind us spilling drink all over me and my mates and shouting stupid sh1t about how "they would beat him themselves" in reference to beating Coleman who had gassed,and insisted on calling Henderson a p***y every few seconds along with shouting riiiba riiiba over and over again.:mad:

I can only imagine it being worse on Paddys Day.:(

Come out of that!!, the same people who cause trouble on Paddys day are the same scumbags who cause trouble all the time, the difference is they just ALL coverage on the city center's for this particular day, you give the impression that normal,decent people(who would be the majority, same as every other event etc.... scummers generally don't pay into things) aren't capable of behaving themselves because it's Paddys day??.... don't agree with that

I'm not talking about normal decent people. Sure I said in my last reply that I can go to events like this and have a few pints and behave myself like most people. I'm just saying that there would be a good few scumbags drinking even more then they usually would cause its Paddys day leading to more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just out of curosity, what was the seating like in general for UFC 93 in the O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Lorenzo Fertitta said at a Q and A, that they will be back on Paddy's Day. There is a video of it on the ufc website. It's about an hour long. He says it about 20 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I was talking to Dana White at UFC 100 and he said they would be back for Paddy's weekend. Davis told me he wants a rematch with Hardy in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I was talking to Dana White at UFC 100 and he said they would be back for Paddy's weekend. Davis told me he wants a rematch with Hardy in Dublin.

I was thinking that but thought it might be a bit too soon.

I'm not talking about normal decent people. Sure I said in my last reply that I can go to events like this and have a few pints and behave myself like most people. I'm just saying that there would be a good few scumbags drinking even more then they usually would cause its Paddys day leading to more trouble.

I agree, but i think this country is capable of hosting an event like this (on this day) without the riot squad there.

It was just when i read ''there's bound to be trouble'' and the day that was in it, the Simpsons various episodes of mass brawls breaking out sprung to mind, i know you didn't mean it to that extent, but that's the general jist that i got(that it would disrupt the event and make us a laughing stock)

I agree, but i don't think this country is incapable of holding an event on this day without there been any trouble at it.

It was just when i read ''there's bound to be trouble'' and the day that was in it, the Simpsons various episodes of mass brawls breaking out sprung to mind, i know you didn't mean it to that extent, but that's the general jist that i got(that it would disrupt the event and make us a laughing stock)

Ah ye i know what you mean. I just mean small things like other people have mentioned (Idiots pouring beer on the people siting in front of them etc.)

Has this been confirmed yet?

Has this been confirmed yet?

Dave Meltzer confirmed and his word is pretty much golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

guys paddys WEEKEND not paddy's day!

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

WFT?
    “We will be back in Dublin next year on St. Patty’s Day.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

there is a source right there :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

Why don't they just restrict drink to the bars and other relevent areas, have no drink allowed in the seated areas. Problem solved.

In relation to the kilt wearing antics of Davies, wikipedia states that 'Though the origins of the Irish kilt continue to be a subject of debate, current evidence suggests that the kilt itself originated in the Scottish Highlands and Isles and was adopted by Irish nationalists at the turn of the 20th century as a symbol of Celtic identity.'
    So i guess it can be considered Irish or Scottish, we just copied it off them.

Advertisement