Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC returning to Dublin for st Paddy's day 2010?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Glad Boston didnt get this event.

This may just be a Fight Night Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Sweet. I wonder if Rogan will do stand-up while he's here. Didn't he do that last time?

DoireNod wrote: »
    Sweet. I wonder if Rogan will do stand-up while he's here. Didn't he do that last time?

Yep

I wonder how many Irish guys will be on this.

It is a Wednesday guys so yeah it will be a Fight Night but if it was anything like the last Fight Night bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Was the last Fight Night the Fight for the Troops?

My girlfriend is not a big fan of combat sports (even though she has a few belts in Shotokan Karate), but I made her sit through it while I watched it. There were several bad injuries on that show. Needless to say, MMA did not gain a fan that day!

How has Tom Egan done since that loss at 93?

Has he had any more fights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

St. Pattys Day. Heh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Whats the bets town will be even more chaotic this paddys day. Scummers everywhere thinkin theyre chuck liddell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah by the look of other news articles it could be the weekend before or after and could be a full ufc event and not just a fight night, will just have to wait and see what happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Whats the bets town will be even more chaotic this paddys day. Scummers everywhere thinkin theyre chuck liddell.

yeah, face down and unconscious

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

they'd need to know who that was before they could do that :D

Has o be a fight night dont remember any numbered events that were durring the week,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone got a different source? I dont trust this one

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

During UFC 100, Dan Wetzel from yahoo sports posted this on twitter , quoting Lorenzo. So it seems legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Inside word from UFC is that its true, it was always there plan to come back on paddys day even before the success of ufc 93

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

If it's a fight night I bet Marcus Davis will be on the main or co-main event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Hopefully not, dont really want to see him fight live for the 3 rd time, specailly not as a main event. At this stage the amount of top tier talent that will do over card events is low. NO PPV money in it

Hellsing wrote: »
    During UFC 100, Dan Wetzel from yahoo sports posted this on twitter , quoting Lorenzo. So it seems legit
    Inside word from UFC is that its true, it was always there plan to come back on paddys day even before the success of ufc 93

I just dont trust MMABAY

Was the last Fight Night the Fight for the Troops?

My girlfriend is not a big fan of combat sports (even though she has a few belts in Shotokan Karate), but I made her sit through it while I watched it. There were several bad injuries on that show. Needless to say, MMA did not gain a fan that day!

No it was the TUF Finale:
    The event’s official results were:

■Diego Sanchez def. Clay Guida via split decision (28-29, 29-27, 29-28)
    ■James Wilks def. DaMarques Johnson via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 4:54
    TUF 9 Welterweight Final
    ■Chris Lytle def. Kevin Burns via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    ■Ross Pearson def. Andre Winner via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    TUF 9 Lightweight Final
    ■Joe Stevenson def. Nate Diaz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    ■Melvin Guillard def. Gleison Tibau via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
    ■Brad Blackburn def. Edgar Garcia via split decision (29-28, 28-28, 29-28)
    ■Tomasz Drwal def. Mike Ciesnolevicz via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 4:48
    ■Nick Osipczak def. Frank Lester via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 3:40
    ■Jason Dent def. Cameron Dollar via submission (anaconda choke) — Round 1, 4:46

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You're right not to trust any trash that comes out of MMABAY, i've known for a while that they would be back on St Paddy's week. A few of my american buddies who came over for 93 were in Vegas last weekend and chatted to Marcus Davies. He said that UFC would be returning to Dublin on Paddy's day for a UFN event.

I'm thinking that Forrest Griffin and Marcus are shoe in's for this event

scudzilla wrote: »
    You're right not to trust any trash that comes out of MMABAY, i've known for a while that they would be back on St Paddy's week. A few of my american buddies who came over for 93 were in Vegas last weekend and chatted to Marcus Davies. He said that UFC would be returning to Dublin on Paddy's day for a UFN event.

I'm thinking that Forrest Griffin and Marcus are shoe in's for this event

Griffin won't be fighting at a FN... he has Silva coming up and even if he loses he won't drop much in the rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Griffin won't be fighting at a FN... he has Silva coming up and even if he loses he won't drop much in the rankings

Why wouldnt he? Diego sanchez did and hes next inline for a title shot at 155, plenty of very good fighter at the FN events

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Meh, not Davis for a main event please and thank you. Also, his kilt thing. I've never known any of us to wear kilts etc but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone ever seen this, asides from irish/americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Tones69 wrote: »
    Why wouldnt he? Diego sanchez did and hes next inline for a title shot at 155, plenty of very good fighter at the FN events

Diego Sanchez is no Forrest Griffin in terms of profile though. Wonder if they would still charge crazy prices for seats for a fight night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd put money that Forrest Griffin will be on the Fight Night card in Dublin.

Anderson Silva recently fought on a Fight Night Card in his first fight at 205.

The reason why we're having a Fight Night is that these are usually held on Wednesday or Sundays, and in the UFC's infinite wisdom :rolleyes::rolleyes: they have decided to have an event on Paddy's day itself, which is a Wednesday, guess nobody's told them how mad town is on Paddy's day.

The only venue they can use is The Point (still refuse it to call it the new name), they will still have to shift close to 12,000 tickets. Only way they're gonna do that is by putting Forrest in as a headline fight and a decent card.

Also the bars in the U.S will be packed on Paddy's night, so they'll want a decent card to show, the advertising will be massive.

And to answer some1 elses question, Fight Nights are usually a bit cheaper than Full Events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I disagree, if they already filled the point without him, why must they have him to fill it the second time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Why has it jumped into peoples heads that forrest is inline to headline it....? Fair enough it will be a big name they no better than to screw europe over with a crappy card but god only knows come next march who will be in contention to fight who and who else may have signed etc, its WAY to early to be speculating about any of the fights on the card, but davis wont headline it. And besides they will want to keep things new and exciting here as its a new market for them so the fact Forrest faught in Belfast would prob put them off it. As for people thinking Forrest is to big for a FN, if the UFC gets what its looking for there will probably be about 2 FN per month and there normal events plus the fact they are dropping pretty much anyone average i think FN will be as high profile as any other event.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sammy83

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd put money that Forrest Griffin will be on the Fight Night card in Dublin.

Anderson Silva recently fought on a Fight Night Card in his first fight at 205.

The reason why we're having a Fight Night is that these are usually held on Wednesday or Sundays, and in the UFC's infinite wisdom :rolleyes::rolleyes: they have decided to have an event on Paddy's day itself, which is a Wednesday, guess nobody's told them how mad town is on Paddy's day.

The only venue they can use is The Point (still refuse it to call it the new name), they will still have to shift close to 12,000 tickets. Only way they're gonna do that is by putting Forrest in as a headline fight and a decent card.

They stuck on Silva's fight @ 205 to combat Affliction's event on the same day.

I think it's an AWFUL idea to have a UFC event in Ireland on Paddy's Day. I'm embarrassed enough about Dublin as it is, let alone on National 'Act the B*llix' day.

Fight Night or UFC event number 1xx; it all depends on the card. Some of the more recent Fight Nights have been quite entertaining whereas one or two of the more recent UFC numbered events have been pretty poor bar a few bouts.

Regardless, I can see this selling out the o2 with a poor card (UFC 93 - 9,500 tickets sold out in four days... more like two weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Sammy83 wrote: »
    They stuck on Silva's fight @ 205 to combat Affliction's event on the same day.

I thought it was more of a showcase to the public in an effort to increase ppv's he headlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sammy83

I thought it was more of a showcase to the public in an effort to increase ppv's he headlined.

Not likely :p
    Although that is a valid statement... That Fight Night in question seemed to come out of nowhere if my memory serves me correctly.

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Meh, not Davis for a main event please and thank you. Also, his kilt thing. I've never known any of us to wear kilts etc but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone ever seen this, asides from irish/americans?

I think he wears the kilt because his granny is Scottish

• Advertisement

Sammy83 wrote: »
    Not likely :p
    Although that is a valid statement... That Fight Night in question seemed to come out of nowhere if my memory serves me correctly.
    Did indeed.A fight night suddenly appearing on the same saturday as afflictions debut show after affliction was announced.Didnt seem suspicious at all :)

Advertisement