Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't do cash!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

phasers wrote: »
    but money makes my handbag heavier :(

hiya mate hehehehehehahah handbag hehehehehe good1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Can't believe how stupid someone could be to actually believe banks catalogue your purchases and watch what you do? Why the hell would any bank spend millions on staff to catalogue your purchases and why would it interest them?
    Some people just love conspiracy theories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JimmyMolloy

MikeC101 wrote: »
    . Fair enough, but plenty of people have pointed out that it can take less time using a laser card than cash.

No it does not. Why do you even debate such an obvious point?

congo_90 wrote: »

Amazed at how easy people pick up new terms.

@ was never used before twatter came out, now everyone just picks it up like the most natural thing in the world.

YOu really are the "new" man.

What's wrong with Laser? Real money is what sucks, you'd think we'd have gotten past it by now. What they should have though is some thing that you just scan without having to take it out of your wallet (like them key cards for doors), then you enter your pin, then it prints out a receipt and bang that's it.

All this technology is ready and waiting. The problem is that the sane people are well aware of the totalitarian overtones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Hi, I'm Johnny No Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't believe how stupid someone could be to actually believe banks catalogue your purchases and watch what you do? Why the hell would any bank spend millions on staff to catalogue your purchases and why would it interest them?

if you spend over a certain amount of your monthly income on online gambling
    the bank will refuse to give you a mortgage on the grounds that you are a risk

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

It does seem quite plausible that online gaming sites etc. could be tracked and data recorded. Some of the high street shops in the UK are using new surveillance equipment that records shoppers trends in quite a lot of detail. I think I seen somebody from Marks & Spencer being interviewed about it a few weeks ago.

Personally I couldn't care less what they know about me - not a lot to know anyway. I wouldn't dream of ever getting a mortgage in this, or any other country after whats just happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Amazed at how easy people pick up new terms.

@ was never used before twatter came out, now everyone just picks it up like the most natural thing in the world.

YOu really are the "new" man.

Considering your 32 posts here on boards I'll assume your not completly aware of some abreviated words/phrases here. It's ok.

Twatter? what is this twatter you speak of? Are you going on anoter rant about the spartans etc?
    Is that all you got? Couldn't quote anything else because you knew I was right I'm guessing?

Oh and by new man are you reffering to my age, post count, join date or is there some new expression for a man?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

This debate is a valid point.
    You wouldn't know because we erased your memory.. We can get around your coat hanger ceiling shields now with our powerful mind boggling chip and pin technology! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

if you spend over a certain amount of your monthly income on online gambling
    the bank will refuse to give you a mortgage on the grounds that you are a risk
    DAMN! So that's how the credit crunch started! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

this is the norm in most other countries ireland is just backwards, wanting to hang onto the old times as usual!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

For the same reason you ignore any point you are unable to debate?

Anyway, in some situations it does. Of course you've conveniently ignored the people who work in retail telling you this.

I said: It CAN be faster than cash. Do you understand that means sometimes, not every time?

In some situations, with the reader hooked up to a broadband connection, it takes literally seconds for me to type my pin and have the transaction authorised. Quicker than the people ahead of me who seem surprised when they're asked to pay for their item, who then root in their bag for their purse, root in their purse for their coins, count them, hand them over, have the cashier recount the money, put it in the correct drawers, and then count out and return change, which they then put back into their purse, put purse back into bad.

@ was never used before twatter came out, now everyone just picks it up like the most natural thing in the world..

It's been used as long as there have been message boards on the internet at least, and far predates twitter. Possibly was used on usenet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,684 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How quaint and 1959 of you.

They dont catalogue your purchases. The Merchant Code (the code every vendor has if they want to use Electronic Banking - your local newsagent, has a Merchant Code) will be categorised already. Anything purchased there will fall under the category. If you want to recategorise a purchase, you can. I can go into my statement and say no, that wasnt an electronics purchase, that was general merchandise. Etc.

However to think that hundreds of staff read through your statements is antiquated. We have computers and programs for that. Your bank can set up Flag Alerts for unusual activity on an account. For example, if your income goes down, and your purchases at bars and pubs go up: guess what a program is easily set up to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd love a laser card, it would make my life so much easier.

I've made 5 attempts to get one with Bank of Ireland and the shower of bastards haven't got it right once. 3 times I was told that it would be delivered to my house, never did I receive it, 1 time a card was given to me in the branch, only it was a standard atm card:rolleyes: and 1 time they didn't even process my application.

Bank of Ireland - the cunts.

I'd love a laser card, it would make my life so much easier.

I've made 5 attempts to get one with Bank of Ireland and the shower of bastards haven't got it right once. 3 times I was told that it would be delivered to my house, never did I receive it, 1 time a card was given to me in the branch, only it was a standard atm card:rolleyes: and 1 time they didn't even process my application.

Bank of Ireland - the cunts.

Well you see dear chap, it's a very exclusive card. Those of us in the club reviewed your application and we just don't think you make the grade. If we let everyone have it then we wouldn't be able to pose with our laser cards in posh and exclusive venues, like the queue in Tesco at lunchtime.

Don't blame Bank of Ireland, we use our advanced chip and pin mind beams to make the poor fools do as we please.

And soon....soon we will do away with all cash..then only laser shall remain..you poor fools...mwhaahahahaha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

jus to reiterate what others in the retail sector have said, i have worked in a shop, and a laser/visa/whatever transaction can be done in about 11 or 12 seconds. that said, if someone takes there time bout putting the card in the machine or forgets there pin it can take a lot longer but never does it take a minute like some (i think JimmyMolloy, could be wrong) have said.

and with regard to the banks and gubberment watching your every move by tracking ur card use, well
    1) do you really think that the banks are going to spend millions on people and technology to do this, especially in the current economic state of things
    and 2) even IF the did, who really cares. Personally idc who knows that i spent €22 in centra and €89 in argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

if Doctor Evil can have " a laser " then so can i

dannym08 wrote: »
    and with regard to the banks and gubberment watching your every move by tracking ur card use, well
    1) do you really think that the banks are going to spend millions on people and technology to do this, especially in the current economic state of things
    and 2) even IF the did, who really cares. Personally idc who knows that i spent €22 in centra and €89 in argos.
    Like I said, once these programs are in place, they would be very low maintenance and require little human input to make the changes to your credit allowance and whatever else. If any.

Even if the actual cost did measure millions, to entities like Mastercard and Visa, I can't imagine them thinking it an expense rather than an investment. Denying credit to risky customers saves them millions more ultimately.

Its no reason to keep using paper money. Debit is plenty safe. Safer than cash to be honest. I can ring up the bank and have the card locked out in minutes after a mugging. ****ed if mugger man can figure out my pin before then. Credit Cards though, are something else Im apprehensive about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Im sick of people moaning about laser cards in shops. If I have cash on me I will pay with cash, but if I dont have cash on me, why should I waste my time going to find an ATM, just to save the person behind me in the shop 20 seconds. Are they so much more important than the rest of us and in such a rush that I should not be allowed to use a service provided by the shop because it will delay them a few seconds? Would these people also give out about a person who buys a few things more than most people in the shop and takes a little bit longer because of this? I doubt it.

Also laser transactions in alot of shops seem to be getting alot quicker, its not like it takes ages anymore.

Overheal wrote: »
    Like I said, once these programs are in place, they would be very low maintenance and require little human input to make the changes to your credit allowance and whatever else. If any.

Even if the actual cost did measure millions, to entities like Mastercard and Visa, I can't imagine them thinking it an expense rather than an investment. Denying credit to risky customers saves them millions more ultimately.

ok, i can understand the logic behind that

but JimmyMolloy is moaning about people in the laser club so it doesnt really apply. i just used visa in my example to say that all cards hav the same speed

Bought milk on my debit today. Swipe-Pin-Verify ("You said $*.**? Ok..") - Process - Print - whooosh..

10-15 seconds. No digging around the pockets for pennies hoping you dont have to break that 20 for a thing o' milk. No second guessing the dumb High School girl (probably legal..) thinking she gave you the wrong change. But unfortunately no 10 seconds while she's at the cash drawer for you to check her out.

It has its ups and its downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

dannym08 wrote: »
    ok, i can understand the logic behind that

but JimmyMolloy is moaning about people in the laser club so it doesnt really apply. i just used visa in my example to say that all cards hav the same speed

AIB and BOI laser and credit cards have the same speed or else almost. Ulster Bank, Permanent TSB and other banks cards take slightly longer, only because shops always use POS technology by AIB and BOI though. UK cards take longer (although, I don't know about Maestro since my shop doesn't take it), AmEx take a good while and Asian Visas take forever, some actually take double the time and then require a signature too..

AIB and BOI laser and credit cards have the same speed or else almost. Ulster Bank, Permanent TSB and other banks cards take slightly longer, only because shops always use POS technology by AIB and BOI though. UK cards take longer (although, I don't know about Maestro since my shop doesn't take it), AmEx take a good while and Asian Visas take forever, some actually take double the time and then require a signature too..

well tbh i didnt have much dealings with asian visas ha...

i found that all Laser cards (regardless of bank) work just as fast as each other and we used an AIB/Payzone machine. same with Maestro altho the only cards that actually use Maestro as opposed to Laser are the Postbank ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone buying anything worth a few quid should be shot with balls of their own sh1te if they use a card tbh. Im just after realising Ive been in Australia for 5 odd months and I dont think Ive once been stuck behind some twat in an offy buying 3 bottles of beer with a card.

It does seem quite plausible that online gaming sites etc. could be tracked and data recorded..

Whiskey, stories have been done about this in the Irisj Times.

Personally I couldn't care less what they know about me - not a lot to know anyway. I wouldn't dream of ever getting a mortgage in this, or any other country after whats just happened.

Real deep, man.

shane86 wrote: »
    Anyone buying anything worth a few quid should be shot with balls of their own sh1te if they use a card tbh. Im just after realising Ive been in Australia for 5 odd months and I dont think Ive once been stuck behind some twat in an offy buying 3 bottles of beer with a card.

Yes, but we are living in modern "prosperous" Ireland.

As I said before these clowns seem to think that laser cards are something special, and I also suspect they like to hold other people up in some sort of a power trip.

flynnser19 wrote: »
    this is the norm in most other countries ireland is just backwards, wanting to hang onto the old times as usual!!!

I love this "keep up with the times stuff".

You have no idea what is in store for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Yes, but we are living in modern "prosperous" Ireland.

As I said before these clowns seem to think that laser cards are something special, and I also suspect they like to hold other people up in some sort of a power trip.

Or it's just fucking convenient for them and you've got an over inflated sense of self worth, given you think anyone would use a lazer card for no other reason than to spite little ol' you.

Advertisement