Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't do cash!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We are in a service economy, therefore 99% of people do not produce anything to barter with, where does that leave your theory? We are off the farm.

The ancient system of barter was based about goods AND services. In other words, you feed me two hens if I help to dig up some of your land with you (just a simple example).

Certain people have big plans, see my other link.

Thats right, and I did see your link thus my reply. I think by the time those plans come into effect, this discussion will be redundant anyway SO
    why stress yourself right now over something you can't in the future change anyway!

Theres some things thats just unavoidable. I'm sure the ancient bartering farmer didn't stress too much about all this new fangled money/cash system coming in. They just adapted and got on with living.

*sigh* :(

Cards and the current money system is here to stay for a week or two more I suspect.
    Stop stressing and just get used to the idea. YOU might not like Laser cards but hey...!
    Others do! Shame on them for wanting and using a choice. Its all big Brothers fault! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I don't have any bank related cards at all, I do everything with cash and passbook.

It seems to add a certain extra tangibility to your finances, I really should get a basic ATM card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Using laser/visa I find enables me to keep a better track of my expenses and my spending patterns, I avoid using cash if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JimmyMolloy

Biggins wrote: »
    The ancient system of barter was based about goods AND services. In other words, you feed me two hens if I help to dig up some of your land with you (just a simple example).

Yes and as I said the people produce nothing so no goods and the service/service economy is not possible.

over something you can't in the future change anyway!.

Oh right, older generations have fought for years to get privacy now the bebo generations should just toll over. Catch yourself on.
    Theres some things thats just unavoidable. I'm sure the ancient bartering farmer didn't stress too much about all this new fangled money/cash system coming in. They just adapted and got on with living.

:eek::eek:

I think you should read the history of the Spartan people. No was not an option.

Biggins you seem to be living in fairyland. Is everyone out to look after you, does everyone wake up in the morning and say "how shall I help Biggins today"?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Using laser/visa I find enables me to keep a better track of my expenses and my spending patterns, I avoid using cash if at all possible.

Anyone I know would argue the direct opposite, especially on Monday morning after a "large" weekend.

• Advertisement

Yes and as I said the people produce nothing so no goods and the service/service economy is not possible.

* So manual labour can't be used to gain other fabours/goods/services???
    Please!!!
    :rolleyes:

Oh right, older generations have fought for years to get privacy now the bebo generations should just toll over. Catch yourself on.

* so Laser cards, etc are just big brother taking over? Conspiracy section is elsewhere.

I think you should read the history of the Spartan people. No was not an option.

LOL

...Its just trolling now and/or nitpicking at this stage!

Laser's, etc, are here to stay - get used to it or move to a third world country.
    O' wait, they use them there too!
    Your screwed. We are all out to get you!

LOL

...Its just trolling now and/or nitpicking at this stage!!

So you cant argue my points\/
    Laser's, etc, are here to stay get used to it or move to a third world country.
    O' wait, they use them there too!

Credit cards are given as an incentive for steralization in 3rd world countries. You really are getting an education tonight.

A service/service economy???

Oh right you dig my garden I paint your fence and at the end of the day we sit down and eat what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Credit cards are given as an incentive for steralization in 3rd world countries. You really are getting an education tonight.

So are you; its spelt "sterilisation"

LOL Nope - just not further wasting my time with either a troll or some one that possibly can't see the wood from the trees.

LOL I'm outa here in regards to your wandering points. We're all muppets and your the oracle of knowledge.
    I bow to your wisdom.
    Toodle Pip :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Can't say we are getting the right kind of education

Anyway, I'm off to the shop to buy a litre of milk, but I have no money :(

Will just have to use my laser card.... be back in 10 minutes

Saibh wrote: »

Anyway, I'm off to the shop to buy a litre of milk, but I have no money :(

Will just have to use my laser card.... be back in 10 minutes

:pac: Careful. Big Brother is waiting to catalogue your purchases! :D

Saibh wrote: »

are andre and jordan back togeather yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

are andre and jordan back togeather yet?
    You should really ask them over here - we don't talk about celebrities over here, remember we are posh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

You really are getting an education tonight.

An education in something alright - first you don't like laser because you think it causes queues. Fair enough, but plenty of people have pointed out that it can take less time using a laser card than cash.

And you also believe people who use it do so only to pose - seriously? Do you genuinely believe this? Surely if anyone does so to pose, then a laser card would be a status symbol, hard to get, or only available to those with a certain balance in their account? Yet it's not, it's freely available to pretty much anyone with a bank account.

Then it becomes about privacy - can you tell me why I should be worried about "them" knowing I bought DVDs and a round of drinks in the last few weeks?

Throw in the ranting about bebo and facebook (I'm sure there were people who did the same when phone books came out), your utter inability to believe that anyone else might possibly have a point, your positing yourself as having knowledge we don't (hence the claiming you're "educating us") which seems to amount to a link on about.com about credit card shopping and a wordpress article, and I am genuinely waiting for you to start on about the New World Order.

Of course, by believing that laser cards aren't really all that dangerous, I am obviously a foolish naive innocent.

Or maybe I'm working for "them". Because obviously anyone who disagrees with you is either innocent or...uh oh...on "their" side...

*cue ominous music*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Random wrote: »
    As this isn't R+R I'll tell you you're wrong. Using a Laser card is more convenient than queueing for an ATM.
    We've had this debate before in Wine, Beer & Spirits.
    Its not convenient for the people stuck in the queue for 10 mins behind mr/mrs laser. And its certainly not 'convenient' for shops if every tom, dick and harriet is using their laser card to pay for a packet of crisps. The Laser card was not designed for 60 cent transactions. Using a laser card is fine, but to do so for every single transaction is plain stupid.

grenache wrote: »
    ...The Laser card was not designed for 60 cent transactions. Using a laser card is fine, but to do so for every single transaction is plain stupid.

To do that, I agree is a bit mad.
    I would like to try and claim though that for the likes of good shops and supermarkets, it takes just as long to get the money out of ones wallet, count it out (first the notes, then the coins), have teller check it and then be let go on your way.

I have honestly found that stuck behind someone who is slow or just taking their time rummaging in their bags/pockets for their purse/wallet in a cash hunt, is the norm for me and most of the time takes much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

do people actually still pay 20c transactions fees???? I haven't paid bank charges in about 10 years - what bank charges these fees and who pays them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I use laser a lot cos I find it easier to do out my budget! But if there is a queue I often let people go ahead unless I'm in a rush which I rarely am as don't leave things last minute...so yep laser mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,684 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I learned the Irish Banking system is fecked. Few or No online services for example, will honor a Maestro Card. Paying with Debit is as fast as cash in most cases.

The biggest reason to pay cash for me is theres some **** Id rather not see on my report - bankofamerica breaks down my expenses into categories based on merchant codes. Best Buy? Electronics. Cinema? Entertainment. Etc. - I guess the good news is my ATM card is my Debit card and actually ****ing works on the internet, unlike AIB.

In fact, CC Companies will profile you based on some of your purchases as described here in the 10 things you should never charge to your card. So for some things, theres still a good reason to pay in cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Overheal wrote: »
    In fact, CC Companies will profile you based on some of your purchases as described here in the 10 things you should never charge to your card. So for some things, theres still a good reason to pay in cash.

Really.. do they actually do that?

So using it in the pub is a no-no?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

people who use laser cards are posers????? haha what a weird rant!!!!

Really.. do they actually do that?

So using it in the pub is a no-no?
    They have access to that information, put it that way. Whether they do that in Irish banks may be another story. Visa and Mastercard may well do.

...CC Companies will profile you based on some of your purchases as described here in the 10 things you should never charge to your card. So for some things, theres still a good reason to pay in cash.

Interesting stuff. Thankfully only one of those might apply to me but even then I use the Laser, not the credit card.
    Thankfully as regards my credit rating, they know there should be no problem there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

They have access to that information, put it that way. Whether they do that in Irish banks may be another story. Visa and Mastercard may well do.

Could've been buying dinner for family?
    *Banks may only gather anonymous data on this in terms of retail, hotel, restaurant, mail order and cash advance for statistics only.

They can't see customer x bought 3 pints in the local and paid 12.50 by laser.

What the bank see's is a sale in a pub for 12.50 and unless they were to query the merchant about what exactly the goods were then no-one is any wiser on it.

My point being overheal, you're right.
    These paranoid big brother heads need to get a life what about the hundreds of cctv recording you when you enter the premises?

@jimmymolly,
    you need to get a grasp of the topic at hand, do some research. Maybe get some fresh air then come back before talking sh1te and basically trolling. You've gone off topic so much throughout this.

Your original rant was that you have classed people who have a laser card as
    • Posh
    • Showing off what is no more than a glorified atm card
    • un-educated
    • Ignorant

Some of who probably are but I for one use credit debit cards. Since my first post in this thread i've bought petrol using my laser because it saved me going to an atm, getting cash going to a petrol station.

**I do not work for a merchant service so exact details may be a little off.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Could've been buying dinner for family?
    *Banks may only gather anonymous data on this in terms of retail, hotel, restaurant, mail order and cash advance for statistics only.

They can't see customer x bought 3 pints in the local and paid 12.50 by laser.

What the bank see's is a sale in a pub for 12.50 and unless they were to query the merchant about what exactly the goods were then no-one is any wiser on it.
    Yeah. I should have been clear on that. They cannot read your itemised receipt, no more than you can when you check your online statement. They do assume though, that when you spend $30 @ XYZ Bar, it wasnt all just crisps and peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Yeah. I should have been clear on that. They cannot read your itemised receipt, no more than you can when you check your online statement. They do assume though, that when you spend $30 @ XYZ Bar, it wasnt all just crisps and peanuts.

true,
    not many places serve sunday lunch on a friday at say 1.30am? lol
    Also I'm guessing places like strip clubs showing up on the statement if they wanted to look through wouldn't exactly help ;)

Though what would I know about this ;)

Im off topic and outta here

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

What's wrong with Laser? Real money is what sucks, you'd think we'd have gotten past it by now. What they should have though is some thing that you just scan without having to take it out of your wallet (like them key cards for doors), then you enter your pin, then it prints out a receipt and bang that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

All we need is:

1. People who can use their Laser or debit card properly - that is to say, have it in your hand as you approach the till or bar, put the fcuking thing in the right way and tap in your code without having recourse to your mobile phone to remember what it is.

2. Proper retail setup - any decent retail place should have their terminals on broadband by now, meaning that th verification should take about two seconds, max.

Paper money is about 400 years out of date FFS. I worked in a retail environment with a proper debit card terminal setup and cards are definitely the way to go. Whether its €2.00 or €2000. It means neither you nor the retailer need to handle cash, it's faster in the vast majority of cases, any overcharging is easily rectified, and if you lose your wallet you just cancel the card and get a new one, you're not down your food money for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hoorayforbacon

The worst is people so drunk they can't remember their PIN. Ugh.

At least use it once, get cashback and pay with that. Job done.

Advertisement