Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't do cash!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

blubloblu wrote: »
    How?

Well, with Laser you can't really use it online except if you're booking flights with Aer Lingus or something.

With Visa Debit you can use it anywhere that accepts Visa (which is pretty much everywhere).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

well why are you so scared about your safety??? what real world examples have you got??? cops cars and criminals is not reailty.

LOL Trust me. Its not my safety I do be worried about LOL.
    That said, usually I have wife and kids with me when down town so I'm not lumping them sometimes with a great wad of cash!
    There's too many gobschites around to stick a virtual sign on their backs saying "Open Season - Target Here"

Whats some folks problem - really!
    So ye have to wait a fews seconds more! For gawds sake, get a life and worry about other things that are more important, like your general health, your taxes and the roof over your head.
    Jeeze, some need to get a life indeed! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Laser is great for me. Both using it and taking it in the shop where I work. It takes five seconds to process and you don't get mangled old badgers counting out their coppers when you hand them back their change. I find the systems in some places take longer to process than others but that's not lasers fault, it's the retailers system. It's also very handy as regards running out of change. That's not a problem with laser. I'm very happy about it. And ya, no queing for th atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JimmyMolloy

Another thing.

DO people not recognise the lack of privacy that comes with going "cashless"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Laser is great but everybody should have at least a score on them for small purchases.

• Advertisement

Another thing.

Yep, but not as big(?) a risk as pulling out ones wallet/bag/whatever and letting others see maybe what cash you have in it, by them looking over your shoulder or along side a counter?

Personally, I'd rather let them see my card than the amount of 50's/100's I might have on me.
    How do some think thugs actually decide who to mug? They watch and observe the CASH more often!

Using a laser/Credit card for big buys IN A PUBLIC shop place with folk around you such as a supermarket/TV retailer, etc is a lot better than the highstreet.
    Can't remember the last time I read about someone getting mugged at Dixons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

PEOPLE LIKE TO POSE WITH LASER CARDS.

Everyone has got a laser card, it is no big deal.

Nobody poses with a laser card, people use them because they're convenient. Money comes straight out of the account, and you can get cash back if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Another thing.

It's true. You've all heard of the secret government dept section 98 right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Another thing.

So people not wanting to carry large amounts of cash around in case of theft or pickpocketing are paranoids who read the Sunday World (that they presumably pay for with laser), but those who believe that "the man" is using your laser transactions to count how much toothpaste you buy in a week aren't...?

Random wrote: »
    It's true. You've all heard of the secret government dept section 98 right? :)

I've never heard a thing about them before. They must be good. Real good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I don't care for your convenience. And anyway are you telling me that the 30 seconds it takes to use the ATM is quicker than the one minute you take for every purcjase with the laser.

I work in this sector.
    Laser transactions are faster on a pos device (the till) than any atm typically 11 seconds..

anyways if I had the cash (typically i carry no more than 50 on me) so if needed I will pay by laser but I try for things over a certain amount. I wouldn't pay by laser for a packet of crisps

Are you just jealous of those who have laser cards? There's more than one member of staff in the shop/ pub/ club.

ntm laser is far more secure than cash.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    So people not wanting to carry large amounts of cash around in case of theft or pickpocketing are paranoids who read the Sunday World (that they presumably pay for with laser), but those who believe that "the man" is using your laser transactions to count how much toothpaste you buy in a week aren't...?

http://couponing.about.com/od/smorgasbord/a/pricecustom_2.htm

Oh the innocence.

Laser is great but everybody should have at least a score on them for small purchases.

Finally someone with some respect for others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Linking from about.com

Fail.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Are you just jealous of those who have laser cards? There's more than one member of staff in the shop/ pub/ club.

:eek::eek:

What?

AIB demanded that I take a laser, they disabled my old card that I had for ten years.

I dont want anything with a chip.

LOL!

Ah the hilarity.

Firstly - the article refers to online shopping, and credit cards - where the store gets a lot more information by very virtue of the fact that you have to provide your address for delivery.

Secondly - in regards to LASER CARDS, which is what you're ranting about - I couldn't care less if "the man" is aware I bought 5 DVDs in Gamestop lastweek, and also used it to pay for a round of drinks a few weeks back when I ran out of cash and didn't want to go in search of an ATM.

How will that affect me in the least?

I have however made a mental note to use my laser card as much as possible in future, and hope to see someone in the massive queue that will form in the 20 seconds it takes to complete my transaction apoplectic with rage, staring at me, as I flaunt my oh so exclusive laser card (don't do cash, dahling!), planning their next rant on boards!

Truly, some people have very little to worry about.

So what is being said now (in order to prove Lasers are evil?) is that profiling is just a bad thing? Like everything else, pros and cons.
    I'll let you into a secret - thats life!
    The one thing that companies who depend on the public for their survival will listen to is a drop in sales

O' the horror!

We're each individuals. We have our own individual rights as to how to complete a transaction. If one thinks Big Brother is looking at one too much, just stick with the cash and stop moaning about others that have opted for another choice.

Jeeze! :(

:

I thought the tinfoil hat cancels out the mind rays the government beam into our heads through chip and pin technology though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

What?

AIB demanded that I take a laser, they disabled my old card that I had for ten years.

I dont work for AIB so I can't help ya there.
    Well if you don't want anything with a chip contact your bank and request a non maestro card (atm card).

If you're worried about privacey the magnetic strip on the back has the same details as the chip does. The only difference is if you choose to use it as a chip and pin (laser ) card.

Anyways as another poster said, carrying cash for small sales is best but as others have pointed out. Large sales like a new phone, tv etc.. then I would rather use laser than carry large sums of money around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What?

Not even a matching one on your other shoulder?:P

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    If one thinks Big Brother is looking at one too much, just stick with the cash and stop moaning about others that have opted for another choice.

Jeeze! :(

Great until cash is phased out, as it will be. All the "progressive" "move with the times types" will ensure that. Little do they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Great until cash is phased out, as it will be. All the "progressive" "move with the times types" will ensure that. Little do they know.

Try here Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I love the rare occasion when my laser card works, means i have a few quid in my account, :cool:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not even a matching one on your other shoulder?:P

I have to laugh at the innocence of you lot.

Facebooks, bebos, throw it all out there. Sure you have nothing to hide.

If and when that happens, that will come in time, not over night. I wouldn't panic just yet and even stress about it.
    I did not one thing about the last link above.
    Bank and credit union bosses say cash won’t be alone...

Many, many years ago before there was cash, there was the bartering system.
    For example; all the farmer had to worry about on his way to market to swap his good, was if he/she was going to be robbed on the way there.
    (some things don't change - only the method of payments)

Cash as we know it right now is not going away in the next 50 to 100 years so that argument hold no water at the present time.

We getting off topic anyway...

Many, many years ago before there was cash, there was the bartering system.

We are in a service economy, therefore 99% of people do not produce anything to barter with, where does that leave your theory?????????????????????????? We are off the farm.
    Cash as we know it right now is not going away in the next 50 to 100 years so that argument hold no water at the present time.

Some chance.

Certain people have big plans, see my other link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

It also costs the shop that you use it in 20 cent per Transaction, thats why a lot of places put minimum spend limits on Lazer and other Card sales. oh and AIB wanted to make taking cashback a seperate transaction on paper so they could Charge anothe 20 cent to you and the Shop. I don't think They got away with that one but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have to laugh at the innocence of you lot.

Facebooks, bebos, throw it all out there. Sure you have nothing to hide.

We all know there's something fishy going on with chips etc,:eek: we're not as stupid as you think we might look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

That is obviously not the issue. PEOPLE LIKE TO POSE WITH LASER CARDS..

lol.

Advertisement