Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many 'junkies'

Options
  • 12-07-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Have you noticed that there are so many more heroin junkies around town lately?
    In the last week I've even seen 2 diffeerent kids about 14 who were obviously heroin addicts- how sad. The worst is when you see two parents completely out of it on gear and they have poor little kids with them, I feel so sorry for them, can social services not do anything for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

What town?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Have you asked them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In before the move to Dublin edit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sorry, Dublin, especially around Connolly station and Talbot Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Its worse on the Southside....have you ever been to Tara St station?...lowlifes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,318 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No junkies in my town ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Well I'll tell you one thing, you wouldn't see them in Cork:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks to the highly successful war on drugs, there are no junkies in Ireland, and the OP must be hallucinating on too much oxygen, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wish they'd take kids off addicted parents more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah boards, the only place where a city centre and every sign around the area is marked city centre gets called a town :D

Well, there is a clinic on Amiens St just up from Connolly Station.
    And I believe another treatment centre on Marlborough St.

So it's hardly surprising at all that they congregate there

As for help from the state.
    There are those two clinics, a welfare office on Amiens St, Marino College nearby that you can do training courses in and by the Five Lamps there is an office that offers counseling service to those who need it and to their family members.

There is help there and it's all costing money.
    But are those with a self-inflicted problem actually looking for help?
    If not, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

In the last week I've even seen 2 diffeerent kids about 14 who were obviously heroin addicts - how sad.

That's a bit prejudicial.
    For all you know they may have been Crack addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Around Talbot Street is pretty bad and around the Quays, on the boardwalk, sometimes I see alot of people just strung out around there but it's usually up from O' Connell Bridge heading towards Liberty Hall and the Customs House.

I am not sure if the Heroin problem in Dublin is getting worse, but it sure isn't getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I think I am seeing more out on the streets, drinking openly.
    Not sure whether the Garda are taking a different approach these days, but I'd love to just gather them and stick them out on the Blaskets. We can reintegrate any who survive the swim home.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Thanks to the highly successful war on drugs, there are no junkies in Ireland, and the OP must be hallucinating on too much oxygen, or something.

Maybe they're a thorn in her side.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

mikemac wrote: »
    Ah boards, the only place where a city centre and every sign around the area is marked city centre gets called a town :D

Well, there is a clinic on Amiens St just up from Connolly Station.
    And I believe another treatment centre on Marlborough St.

So it's hardly surprising at all that they congregate there

Is there some kind of treatment centre on Pearse street? Whenever I am heading to Markievicz* swimming pool I notice alot of them muddling around one bulding.

* Not correct spelling, sowwy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

No point in wasting bullets on those scum, a nice broadsword would do the trick nicely :D, maybe line up about 5 of them and swing with all your might :D:D:D a few rounds of that and no more public junkies, but no doubt there would be plenty of planks still shooting up privately, "for the buzz, roytsh"... pr1cks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Yeah, there's a clinic on Pearse St I think. The amount of them hanging around the Tara Street/Pearse Street area is beyond ridiculous. The sheer number of degenerates in this city is incredible. You hear very little about it in the media but something like 17,000 heroin addicts in Dublin... Heuston, we have a problem.

Is there any chance they could be all rounded up from all over the city and then send in a flamethrower squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is a vacant property down by the port.
    Would it be an idea to lease a large building and kit it out as a treatment centre?

Not trying to hide the problem, it'd still be there.

But from a tourist aspect alone it can't be good to have tourists getting hassled, intimidated or even just getting a bad impression from what currently happens in the city centre.
    Not forgetting the locals too of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But from a tourist aspect alone it can't be good to have tourists getting hassled, intimidated or even just getting a bad impression from what currently happens in the city centre.
    Not forgetting the locals too of course

The tolerance of anti-social behaviour is a kick in the teeth to taxpayers. Why fund a boardwalk if we cant use it, or a park that is full of anti-social elements? It's a waste of money.

the boardwalk is a good idea, however I have heard criticism from people who say "we should have known what would happen..."

Why should we know this? They can have beaches along the seine in Paris, and I have seen urban beaches in Bristol, a poorer city than Dublin. We cant continue to accept that all public spaces are liable to be taken over by junkies. Lets get some policing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Some people in the Dublin City Forum seem to me oblivious of this scourge on your city's streets, so Mods feel completely free to throw it over to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No point in wasting bullets on those scum, a nice broadsword would do the trick nicely :D, maybe line up about 5 of them and swing with all your might :D:D:D a few rounds of that and no more public junkies, but no doubt there would be plenty of planks still shooting up privately, "for the buzz, roytsh"... pr1cks.

All that dodgy blood flying around?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'm in the mood for watching Adam & Paul.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree.

Purge by fire is the only way.

Fair point, I still think flamethrowers would do the trick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I'm in the mood for watching Adam & Paul.jpg
    Christ what a sh!t film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Some people in the Dublin City Forum seem to me oblivious of this scourge on your city's streets, so Mods feel completely free to throw it over to us.

And some people seem to think that all their is in Dublin is junkies so maybe it should stay here?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Dublin like to portray itself as left wing and liberal.hence giving free drugs to drug addicts and then the liberals are surprised by the amount of zombie junkies wandering around Dublin city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm just wondering what the situation is in regard to actually telling the Guards when you see somebody strung out like this? Would they not just tell you there's nothing they can do?

For example, during the week I seen two junkies kicking the bejayzus outta eachother on O Connell St. The boy junkie knocked the girl junkie onto the ground and was kicking, shaking, slapping and punching her. It went on for maybe just under 10mins and nobody was really doing anything, just the odd few watching. So the group of us went up to the GPO and told the Guards there that there was a lady being beaten by a guy and said I think they're homeless. The two Guards said they'll be over in a minute ( :confused: ) and stopped on the way over to give a group of tourists directions to Suffolk St. :rolleyes:

Then they pulled yer man off of her, sent him walking in one direction, helped her up and she went walking towards Parnell Square.

So really, what's the point in telling the guards? Granted, they broke up this one incident but I got the impression there wasn't much more they can actually do.

If we do come across junkies, drunks etc.. are we supposed to bring it to the gardai's attention? Or wha? :confused:

(just to add, the junkie pair were at it again on Westmoreland St on Friday so maybe they're well known to the poor guards!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the situation is in regard to actually telling the Guards when you see somebody strung out like this? Would they not just tell you there's nothing they can do?

For example, during the week I seen two junkies kicking the bejayzus outta eachother on O Connell St. The boy junkie knocked the girl junkie onto the ground and was kicking, shaking, slapping and punching her. It went on for maybe just under 10mins and nobody was really doing anything, just the odd few watching. So the group of us went up to the GPO and told the Guards there that there was a lady being beaten by a guy and said I think they're homeless. The two Guards said they'll be over in a minute ( :confused: ) and stopped on the way over to give a group of tourists directions to Suffolk St. :rolleyes:

Then they pulled yer man off of her, sent him walking in one direction, helped her up and she went walking towards Parnell Square.

So really, what's the point in telling the guards? Granted, they broke up this one incident but I got the impression there wasn't much more they can actually do.

If we do come across junkies, drunks etc.. are we supposed to bring it to the gardai's attention? Or wha? :confused:

(just to add, the junkie pair were at it again on Westmoreland St on Friday so maybe they're well known to the poor guards!)

Maybe they are purposely trying to get arrested on purpose to get a roof over their heads and a meal every night :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement