Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi Statue !?!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seanrussell100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

dlofnep wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with the dicussion around Seán Russell's involvement with Nazi Germany, but I think it should done so in context.

Do people believe he wanted to murder millions of jews, or do people believe he was just getting his hands dirty to secure arms to fight against the British?
    was anyone in ireland aware of what was happening the jews amongst others at that time i.e concentration camps etc.he was trying to bring in weapons for ira from germany.he fought in irish war of independence as brave as any other irishman at that time.his statue should be left alone.maybe some of these vandals were caught and taught a lesson?some countries would take better care of memorials to men who fought for their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

He may have had ties to the Nazi's but that doesn't mean he agreed with them, they were against the Brits, we were against the Brits, of course they would help us with our armory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm neither here nor there on Seán Russell - But he went to germany to secure arms, not to assist Nazi Germany. His choice to secure them from Nazi Germany is questionable, but it certainly doesn't mean that he agreed with their views.

I would hazard a guess that his statue is there because of the tremedous work he put into securing Irish sovereignty, with his participation in the Easter Rising rather than getting his hands dirty by going to Nazi Germany to secure arms. It should be noted that he also went to Russia to secure arms. He certainly didn't hold Nazi views.

It's always nice to put things in context.

Exactly, its just people being oversensitive about the issue.

Talking to Nazi's and trying to buy guns from them does not a Nazi make.

You can call him a dodgy character if you want but lots of other countries that have been invaded have had people do dodgy things to get liberated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If it came from Germany, he would appeal for British help. If it was from Britain, he would call upon Germany

So basically it was 'Brits out!!!!!!! ........until we need help', at least some things never change.

Also buying guns from the Nazi's would have funded the Holocaust. Russell should have been treated as a collaborator.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

What are the chances that this new poster has something to do with the vandalism of this statue? An IP trace might help the Garda inquiry greatly.

Of course, if he spent more time attending a night class in English where he could, for example, learn the difference between the possessive singular and the nominative plural of the word Nazi he might have greater things in life to achieve than getting involved in this sort of thing (that includes texting Newstalk this afternoon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

So basically it was 'Brits out!!!!!!! ........until we need help', at least some things never change.

Also buying guns from the Nazi's would have funded the Holocaust. Russell should have been treated as a collaborator.

So should IBM.

http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

thebman wrote: »

So should, among other countries, the United States which until as late as 23 October 1944 acknowledged the Vichy régime as the legitimate government of France.

Imagine that, a history which is not black and white full of cowboys and Indians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hitler did attack Ireland BTW. He bombed the utter ****e out of Belfast. And bombed Dublin thereafter "by mistake". Although, it's been hypothesized that it was done in retaliation for the south offering aid to the north.

It has also been hypothesised that the luftwaffe pilots did not fancy their chances againts the anti aircraft barrages most cities in england could put up. The germans compensated us for it and the pilots claimed it was the fog and navigational errors, they saw the lights and thought it was liverpool (if I remember correctly). They bombed the south more than once, dun laoghaire, north strand and a creamery down the country also (in addition to Belfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

M27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

The right hand was also removed. In previous attacks the entire right arm was broken off, this time by a self-styled right-wing group who believed Russell was giving a communist salute.

Don't think anyone noticed this.....makes me like him just for the fact that he's pissing off both extremes.

Whats with all these retards running round espousing 20th century regressive political theorys anyway in this day and age? Fuckin luddites!

Back to the past with ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

While not an Irish Republican, as a lefty I think the clear anti-fascist tendencies of Irish Republicanism historically have to be remembered, names like Kit Conway, James Connolly, Frank Ryan and Peader O' Donnell are much more important to remember than those of the Mise Éire 'seize the day' types like Mr. Russell. I don't believe he was a fascist so much as a misguided idiot, a complete and utter 'wrap the Green Flag around me' type.

There is no way in hell the man deserves a statue, while not a fascist colabarating with nazi Germany in any way was in poor taste (and before anyone mentions Frank Ryan in Berlin his battlefield record speaks for itself, as do his health records- the man had dementia from physical and mental abuse in a fascist-prison. Nazi records state they always considered him a 'Strong supporter of the Comintern unlikely to change')

Russell embodies the ugliest, most ignorant side of republicanism that ignored its own history and in a way gave nazi Germany a sense of legitimacy no organisation like the IRA (who had previously smashed up blueshirts meetings) should have granted it.
    What are the chances that this new poster has something to do with the vandalism of this statue? An IP trace might help the Garda inquiry greatly.

Probably very little, every time the Russell statue is vandalised the images spread like wildfire around the net from people with usernames like 'AntiFascist' etc. More likely the individual didn't have a boards account, wanted to bring the image to peoples attention, and won't be back.

The statue shouldn't be there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The vandalism done to the statue of Russell could be a lot worse, look what those hippy lefties did to this statue, disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I don't have an issue with the dicussion around Seán Russell's involvement with Nazi Germany, but I think it should done so in context

well said dlofnep, i'm glad someone got in the voice of reason before we had another AH nazi scare story on our hands, seems to be quite fashionable lately.
    Do people believe he wanted to murder millions of jews, or do people believe he was just getting his hands dirty to secure arms to fight against the British?
    was anyone in ireland aware of what was happening the jews amongst others at that time i.e concentration camps etc.

Sean Russel would not have been aware of, or be otherwise influenced by the Holocaust, because it didn't begin until over a year after he died in 1940. It's the reaction by Republicans and Anti Fascists to his sidekick Frank Ryan, the other IRA nazi 'collaborator' that puzzles me. Russles statue is vandalised, and Ryan is revered as a hero of the Irish Republican cause.
    thebman wrote: »

and Frank Ryan

Frank Ryan and Sean Russel were both on the payroll of the Nazi Mititary Intelligence organization, the 'Abwehr'. Their Abwehr codenames were "Richard 1" and "Richard 2". They were both instrumental in the Nazi plan to invade Ireland, and in securing weapons for the IRA. Sean Russell died of natural causes, in a German U-Boat (U-65) en route to Ireland from Germany with Frank Ryan, on August 14th 1940, and was buried at sea 100 miles of the west coast, wrapped in a Swastika Flag.

Frank Ryan returned to Germany in the same boat, and lived out his days there, dying in a Military Hospital of a stroke in June 1944. From August 1940 to June 1944 Ryan didn't appear to be anxious to return to Ireland, and didn't seem to have a problem taking nazi money during this time, while he was swanning around Germany at the Abwehr's expence. Its funny that the Irish Anti-Fascist Action website has this picture of him proudly in their gallery Section, as well as a picture of his gravestone in Glasnevin cemetry Dublin (in case some twat feels like vandalising it??).
    Hitler did attack Ireland BTW. He bombed the utter ****e out of Belfast. And bombed Dublin thereafter "by mistake". Although, it's been hypothesized that it was done in retaliation for the south offering aid to the north.

True, the Germans dropped bombs on Ireland 16 times. In most cases aircraft jetissoned bombs to get away from RAF fighters, or to save fuel on returning from bombing the North. However navigating a WW2 bomber was like doing a trigonometry exam in the dark with someone shooting at you, so navigational errors were a distinct possibility. A strong headwind from the North East would have caused huge problems for a navigator coming from Germany to bomb targets in Northern Ireland, causing him to fall short of Belfast and sight Dublin by mistake.

In short, if someone's going to vandalise Sean Russels statue, they ought to be vandalising Frank Ryans grave too, he was also up to his nose in dealings with the nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

A strong headwind from the North East would have caused huge problems for a navigator coming from Germany to bomb targets in Northern Ireland, causing him to fall short of Belfast and sight Dublin by mistake.

Not so, Belfast, like cities in Britain, was under a full blackout during the war, whereas Dublin, presuming it wasn't a target, was lit up fully like any normal city.

The German's who bombed the north strand (minutes away from Mr. Russels statue ironically) knew exactly what they were doing.

On the subject of the statue itself I think it's a disgrace. Ok he wasn't an all out Nazi but he was happy to conspire with them to fight Britain who at the time were the only nation standing between us and a full on German invasion. Maybe he was too stupid to realise what he was doing, but I don't think you can say he was doing anything patriotic for this country by trying to allign us with one of the most despicable regiemes in history.

And the NGA are idiots too all their talk of how the new statue was valdal-proof and so high-tech was just asking for someone to come along and prove them wrong.

rez wrote: »
    Not so, Belfast, like cities in Britain, was under a full blackout during the war, whereas Dublin, presuming it wasn't a target, was lit up fully like any normal city.

The German's who bombed the north strand (minutes away from Mr. Russels statue ironically) knew exactly what they were doing.

It's never been conclusively proved the Germans deliberately bombed Ireland. In fact, after the North Strand bombing, the German government paid substantial compensation to the Irish Government, because of the casualties caused, and the damage done to Dublin city.

There have been many thoeries, from the British bending directional radar beams used by the Germans for navigation, to a covert bombing by the British, because it was felt in some circles that Dublin lights were giving the Luftwaffe a good reference point for bombing Liverpool, and the thoery goes that the Brits were trying to teach us a lesson, but as I say, none of these things have ever been conclusively proved.

It is also not strictly true that Dublin was lit up like a Christmas tree, there was a partial blackout, to save elecrticity, as opposed to avoiding any threat from the air.

back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Psh, people forget about all the good nazis.

Recommended Reading

it beats the hell out of hearsay...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I glanced at the earlier today and just assumed it was some sort of photoshop joke.

But I passed the statue on the way home from work and P*ssed myself laughing when I saw it was actually what was put on the statue today, pretty much everyone on the bus saw it because the bus stops right in front of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I glanced at the earlier today and just assumed it was some sort of photoshop joke.

But I passed the statue on the way home from work and P*ssed myself laughing when I saw it was actually what was put on the statue today, pretty much everyone on the bus saw it because the bus stops right in front of it.

I thought that was a bad photoshop too. Jebus these idiots need to grow up, or get arrested - whichever is easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dáibhí

Morlar wrote: »
    I thought that was a bad photoshop too. Jebus these idiots need to grow up, or get arrested - whichever is easier.

Alternatively, their counterparts in retard land can go around Dublin placing Union Jacks on the remaining monuments to "collaborators" with British imperialism. Apparently there is an entire park in Islandbridge dedicated to honouring those people not for fighting for Irish freedom but rather for actually dying in defence of the British Empire as it asserted its domination over peoples across the world, including the Irish. Indeed many of these men were running the British concentration camps in South Africa where tens of thousands of women and children died. On this war alone, these counterparts will have to find a massive Union Jack to place over the Fusiliers' Arch on St Stephen's Green - "Traitors' Gate" - which is an explicit monument to Irish-born people who served the British Empire in that same Boer War and were involved in the massive scorched earth policies against the Boers.

It would be a nice surprise if the local Ballybough lads could be waiting for these losers in the bushes in Fairview Park the next night, with one of them recording it all for YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hagar wrote: »
    Irish Army helmet.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Have you seen the new Irish army kevlar helmet yet?.

I'll take some photos of it if you wish, but its basically the same shape. The US forces have also gone over to the same shape.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to post a photo of the new Irish army helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

I think most Irish people would not care if you took a jcb to this hitler arse licker
    :eek:

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

should be interesting if any newly arrived German tourists pass it on the way from Dublin airport :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dáibhí

I think most Irish people would not care if you took a jcb to this hitler arse licker
    :eek:

Leaving aside this ahistorical drivel, I think most Irish people would not care if you took a jcb to all those arse lickers of the British Empire who heroically civilised the barbarians of the world that Mother England was selflessly trying to help.

Morlar wrote: »

or forced to learn the historical facts about the period, that the IRA as a whole were in cahoots with the Nazis, and take an exam at the end, just to make sure thay have the big picture, and not just the indymedia version ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If the far left wanted to attack Nazi collaborators in Ireland, England, America, France or other democracies they should look no further than the far left. The communist parties of all these countries were the biggest pro-Nazi parties operating in the democracies until Germany actually attacked Russia, because pro-German sentiment and pacifist sentiment amongst other groups ( the German Bund in America, Mosely's supporters in Englad) ended with the start of their respective wars, and natural patriotic sentiment.

Stalinists were loyal to Stalin.

At the start of the war when both Russia and Germany invaded Poland at the same time - the fellow travellers bellowed about French and British imperialism. Communist trade unions sabotaged the war effort in all remaining democracies, sometimes they sabotaged the resistance in occupied europe.

If Russia and Germany had carved up Europe between them ( as Stalin thought the plan was), the communist parties of the democracies would have supported the Axis til the end.

This stuff was vaguely known, but not really understood logically. The Soviet Union was pretty much part of the Axis at the start. There was far more co-ordination with the Soviet Union than with the Japanese, for instance. Poland was invaded simultaneously with the Soviets, Japan did not invade Russia at the same time as Germany.

So Stalinists who held the party line were all effectively pro-Nazi's.

So there's a target for the far-left.

Beat up an old Commie statue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This has to be the most assinine, pathetic and generally ill-informed 'campaign' yet to rear its head.

Nodin wrote: »
    This has to be the most assinine, pathetic and generally ill-informed 'campaign' yet to rear its head.

+1

ye know, i wouldn't be a bit surprised if Rosanna Flynns cronies in RAR have a hand in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Correct parts of my town (Dundalk) got bombed also by the Germans.

Advertisement