Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi Statue !?!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so if you approach it, it shoots laser beams out of its eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What was that adage - the enemy of my enemy is my friend?
    So if the Brits were the enemy, then, during WW2 the nazis would have been our friends...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Overheal wrote: »
    so if you approach it, it shoots laser beams out of its eyes?

Pfft don't be silly, we all know that sharks are the only things with that sort of capability.

It goes Night At The Museum on you. A scale version of the Luftwaffe attack you .

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pfft don't be silly, we all know that sharks are the only things with that sort of capability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm neither here nor there on Seán Russell - But he went to germany to secure arms, not to assist Nazi Germany. His choice to secure them from Nazi Germany is questionable, but it certainly doesn't mean that he agreed with their views.

I would hazard a guess that his statue is there because of the tremedous work he put into securing Irish sovereignty, with his participation in the Easter Rising rather than getting his hands dirty by going to Nazi Germany to secure arms. It should be noted that he also went to Russia to secure arms. He certainly didn't hold Nazi views.

It's always nice to put things in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

The statue should not of been replaced Sean Russell after it was vandalised. Russell was a nazi callaborator and does not deserve any sort of commemoration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm neither here nor there on Seán Russell - But he went to germany to secure arms, not to assist Nazi Germany. His choice to secure them from Nazi Germany is questionable, but it certainly doesn't mean that he agreed with their views.

I would hazard a guess that his statue is there because of the tremedous work he put into securing Irish sovereignty, with his participation in the Easter Rising rather than getting his hands dirty by going to Nazi Germany to secure arms. It should be noted that he also went to Russia to secure arms. He certainly didn't hold Nazi views.

It's always nice to put things in context.

Agreed - you will find that many countries in the world erect statues of men and women who played an integeral role in the freedom of their country - respect them, there aint to many of them about these days, we 've replaced them with money grabbers

Sean Russell was over securing arms from what was probably the only country in europe willing to give them to the republican movement at that time, he done whateverhad to be done, whether he had a clear conscience or not is another thing but i dont think he would of had too much of a problem with the nazis bombing Britain, it probably helped the IRA operate, sorry but the man deserves to be honoured!

I don't have an issue with the dicussion around Seán Russell's involvement with Nazi Germany, but I think it should done so in context.

Do people believe he wanted to murder millions of jews, or do people believe he was just getting his hands dirty to secure arms to fight against the British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Nordie Loyalist

Ignorance is no excuse. He was what he was back in the time that he lived.

I could post a lot of links concerning the US of A and activities in many countries that would make you vomit your quotes out of your eyeballs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

The Nazis were a bunch of scumbags. The Brits were a bunch of scumbags. The Irish were... oppressed opportunists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Who cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Irish Army helmet.

Pic 1

Pic 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hagar wrote: »
    Irish Army helmet.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Links don't work for me? Are you refering to the Vickers helmet which is a German M16 style WWI helmet? Nice helmet. ;)

Link to some helmets: http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/ireland.htm

Preusse wrote: »
    Links don't work for me? Are you refering to the Vickers helmet which is a German M16 style WWI helmet? Nice helmet. ;)

Link to some helmets: http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/ireland.htm

Precisely. I knew I couldn't slip them past you. :D

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/utah/894/image016.jpg

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/utah/894/image017.jpg

There's the full links.

Precisely. I knew I couldn't slip them past you. :D

;)

...by the way, if anyone has some nice Irish Vickers helmets...I am buying!....
    >_>
    <_<

EDIT: Sorry hagar, still can't see the pics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

and sure DeV guaranteed our support to Hitler too if he got as far as us

Copy and paste the text of the link into the address bar and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

;)

>_>
    <_<

EDIT: Sorry hagar, still can't see the pics :(

I had one for ages. It was a PA one. It had a red band painted on it. It was stolen on me in a break-in at the house :mad:.

Hackman wrote: »
    I had one for ages. It was a PA one. It had a red band painted on it. It was stolen on me in a break-in at the house :mad:.

Damn bastards. I had a break-in a couple of years ago. Most of the stuff was returned after some, uhm, persuasion though. Hate criminals. :mad:
    Copy and paste the text of the link into the address bar and see how it goes.

Yep, that works. Nice, it has the badge on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    and sure DeV guaranteed our support to Hitler too if he got as far as us

Really??? You have evidence for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Really??? You have evidence for this?

I thought it was common knowledge tbh, he even paid a visit to the German minister to Ireland at the time to express his condolances upon hearing of Hitler's death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DeValera was many unpleasent things but he did not suggest that! As for his condolences to Germany on the death of their leader I guess he was taking protocol to its logical conclusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

"The Irish Government, therefore, was on its guard against action from either side. De Valera declared that Ireland would defend herself against any attack. If it came from Germany, he would appeal for British help. If it was from Britain, he would call upon Germany."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2242/is_1658_284/ai_114594460/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When the invasion of Britain was planned, it seems Hitler regarded the British Isles as one entity.

Bloody West Brit!

Hitler did attack Ireland BTW. He bombed the utter ****e out of Belfast. And bombed Dublin thereafter "by mistake". Although, it's been hypothesized that it was done in retaliation for the south offering aid to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

;)

>_>
    <_<

I have a nice Irish helmet, wanna look?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I beg to differ
    http://www.snakesonablog.com/swp/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/whales-1.jpg

I have a nice Irish helmet, wanna look?

I can't help but think this is not exactly what I am looking for...but....go on then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote: »
    As for his condolences to Germany on the death of their leader I guess he was taking protocol to its logical conclusion!
    And there was an election coming up, so saying "screw you" to the British was "cool".

Advertisement