Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thanks you get.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

having been at the coalface we should be able to aswell. As a previous poster remarked the only other option is to give up. It is a difficult one.

So, what do you propose we do? Keep sending aid and money, because that is what I do and it bugs the crap out of me becuase it aint damn well
    working. Too many white chiefs and westerners dictating is the damn problem. They not only want to 'help,' they want to take *****(& over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Do you have any idea how bad things would get if the Western world stopped giving aid to Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Do you have any idea how bad things would get if the Western world stopped giving aid to Africa?

I don't know, as I don't know when it ever happened. It has been going on for years now with things every bit as bad. Something needs changing, because at the moment, it's not working.

The whole culture and policy and dependency on aid has to change. The African's cannot be allowed to be solely relying on aid. I wonder, do these charities really want to save and eradicate? If so, what do they do and how do they make a name
    for themselves. As bad as this may sound, there are people getting rich from
    poverty and will never want to see the poor become independent. The poor need a far
    greater say in how their live are run, to listen to the charities, you would
    think that these people were not capable of even making decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

You can never turn your back on the needy, but I do think it would be useful to have more family-planning education put in place because there are just too many babies being born in Africa.
    This over-population is only exacerbating desertification, leading to further famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

this is a really stupid thread,we are living in ireland,thats why this is news to us,we want to make sure she is back to ireland safely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

walshb wrote: »
    I don't know, as I don't know when it ever happened. It has been going on for years now with things every bit as bad. Something needs changing, because at the moment, it's not working.

It is working, it just could work better. And, what's more, you don't actually seem to know that it's not working, you seem to just have a vague notion that it's not. It doesn't seem to be backed up by any sort of rationale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Are we all racist enough to assume there can't be a white person from Uganda

i see what you did there!!! You've made it so we are racist whatever way. Either coming or going.

I did the same to an American who objected to my use of the term black, while I was in America. I said that since not all black people were Americans this was a form of cultural imperialism, also I asked what she would call a white South African who got US citizenship.

Oh stop!! The laughs we had at her face!!

She scampered off, though. Tail between legs, I like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

That's what she gets for giving dodgy names to teddy bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Some African countries have pretty awful ingrained attitudes towards the workload in a family structure. A man will be under a tree being wise with his pals, swatting away any flying insects, while the woman will be walking a good few miles to pick up water or grain\food\firewood.. and will get a few clatters about the head if she decides to do otherwise.

Why subsidise that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Meanwhile, in other news "racist" old Ireland gave Africa nearly 900 million in aid last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement