Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis beat Blur in the britpop war?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Manic Street Preachers take a massive sh*t on both bands

Who?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

lets match the two in terms of single. top five oasis songs. Live Forever, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Wonder Wall, Dont Look back in anger, some might say. For blur theres no other way, Country house, Beetlebum, Pop Song number two, come on come on. who wins.

Dont think too many people would class that as blurs top 5 singles. For me it'd be: Tender, To The End, Coffee & TV, End Of A Century, The Universal. It probably doesnt give a true reflection of their work, given the absence of their more uptempo songs but, hey, thats singles for you.

blur win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

ceegee wrote: »
    Dont think too many people would class that as blurs top 5 singles. For me it'd be: Tender, To The End, Coffee & TV, End Of A Century, The Universal. It probably doesnt give a true reflection of their work, given the absence of their more uptempo songs but, hey, thats singles for you.

blur win.
    yes Beetlebum my favourite blur song even if they borrowed a bit from the Pixies. Song two was good as well

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Keep it on topic. Read the first post properly before posting.

No more - one line oasis/blur bashing. Make a proper well thought out post and construct your argument sensibly and with some level of courtesy. This means no more 'oasis songs all sound the same/blur just go na na na na'
    (Blue bashing is allowed)

Oh sorry homer that typo is too good to change!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

my personal top 5 blur songs are No Distance Left to Run, For Tomorrow, Theres no Other Way, Popscene and The Universal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Blur have some cracking B-sides too. Inertia, all your life, young and lovely all great tunes. Was delighted to see the 4 of them back on stage together at Hyde Park last week.

Link to story
    Back in the day I was Oasis all the way, so much so that I believed you couldn't like both bands at the same time - narrow minded youth that I was. But Oasis have been boring and irrelevant for too long and Blur's comeback and the work Damon Albarn has done in between has been more progressive and interesting than anything Oasis have done since they started down the slippery slop to tedium.

Ultimately regardless of what the stats may say I think Oasis won many battles originally but Blur & Co have come up trumps in the originality and musical side of things and in my mind have won the war.

What do ye think?
    ultimately Brit Prop was a very crude piece of marketing. Sure the race to see who would make number one was exciting but there was a lot more to british music than that. the Mancs, Radiohead and Elbow, doves etc have all outlived it and gone on to better things. To my mind Oasis were at their best with their first album and Blur had some very good singles but it was never about just two bands. never liked that whole brit pop name tagging thing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

My Top 5 Blur singles:
    Chemical World
    For Tomorrow
    Tender
    Sunday Sunday
    Girls & Boys

Top 5 Oasis singles:
    Live Forever
    Wonderwall
    Don't Look Back In Anger
    don't really like the others much TBH

Most of my favourite Blur songs weren't singles to begin with: This Is A Low, Oily Water, Miss America, Peach, You're So Great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I know video is not a musicians main concern but if you were to compare Blur and Oasis video I think the difference in creativity is marked. (I know the band themselves don't make the videos, but I am sure they have a large say in who is commissioned to make them and the shape they take).

There's No Other Way, Parklife, Coffee and TV all very memorable videos, I think my favourite though is Out of Time (which is also my favourite Blur song)

An absolutely brilliant video, taken from a documentary on an American Aircraft Carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln. Still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

My bias is obvious, so not too many good Oasis videos spring to mind, The Importance of being Idle is fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Why the blazes are people still having this discusion.Even Albarn and the Gallaghers have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Better 13 years late than never, eh?

For the record, I've always been a fan of both, Oasis are an unashamed dumba$$ rock 'n' roll band with some stone cold classic songs and albums (mentioned already, so I won't bother repeating). Sometimes that's enough. Blur weren't as straightforward rock 'n' roll, but they also had classic albums and songs (Parklife is a brilliant album from start to finish, Tender, There's No Other Way....all IMO, of course). Can we move on to at least the 21st century now?

kippy wrote: »
    Spelling mistake of the week in the thread title.......
    No we were actually talking about the band blue. someone decided to bring up blur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oasis, in years to come, will be remembered, Blur won't.
    Of course they will. No need to say that just because you prefer Oasis.
    Sigh:rolleyes:

Its become cool to bash Oasis now.
    Has it? I started to notice huge cracks in Oasis' output in 1997, which is hardly "now". I have found anything I've heard by them since then (no exception) to be tedious, turgid, unoriginal and uninspiring - that is my own single-mindedly formed opinion. And I'm not alone... but apparently that's not what we really think, we're just trying to be "cool".
    People have such short memories. Def Maybe and Whats the story are absolutely top quality albums, few bands even get that.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that - but Definitely Maybe was released in 1995. I think it's ok for people to have "short memories" in relation to nearly a decade and a half ago and everything subsequently being mediocre at best.
    Be Here Now and Standing on the shoulder are two very underrated albums imo, probably understandably so because the first two set such high standards.

I do believe Heathen Chemistry is an absolute quality album that is criminally underrated and it's their third best album.

Dont believe the truth is pretty crap and I was very disapointed with Dig out your soul but thats a strong catalogue imo. Oasis we're very important, they defined a generation really and made some classic music.
    Oasis were important-ish in that they timed it perfectly to make no-frills, laddish, anthemic rawk n' roll, which hadn't been around for a while and which had been associated only with auld fellas. Some great stuff on Definitely Maybe, some very good stuff on Morning Glory... then they lost it. Oasis - saviours of rock n' roll, 1994-1995. Seeing as their legacy spans about 18 months and they've been around for over 15 years, I think it's pretty reasonable for people to be critical of them.
    So they've gone downhill....what band doesnt?
    So the fact other bands go downhill (and not all have - and certainly not as soon) makes it ok for Oasis to churn out dreary music and makes it unreasonable for people to criticise them? I can never understand the "they're not bad, I've heard worse" defence, as if that's an impressive achievement.
    Blur made great music too but I dont think they had the impact Oasis had. I think its a good debate but it always descends into people coming on saying how sh1t Oasis are just to show how cool they are.:rolleyes:
    I find it always descends into Oasis fans becoming personally offended and ridiculously defensive - and resorting to accusing Oasis detractors of only being so to be "cool". People don't always do stuff to be cool you know - many have their own minds. And people are allowed to dislike stuff you like.
    lets match the two in terms of single. top five oasis songs. Live Forever, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Wonder Wall, Dont Look back in anger, some might say. For blur theres no other way, Country house, Beetlebum, Pop Song number two, come on come on. who wins.
    What difference does successful singles make? Commercial success isn't a measure of a band's importance.

sad to say it but Oasis now just bring out the occasional good single. They were a candle that once burned brightly but no longer pioneers. Same for Blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

ceegee wrote: »
    No they dont. For Tomorrow goes la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.

Completely different syllable. Oasis could learn from that kind of diversity :P

And Charmless man goes? Had forgot they used the same trick in a different song

Bubs101 wrote: »
    And Charmless man goes? Had forgot they used the same trick in a different song
    should we discount hey jude because it had a lot na na na nana na's at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think Oasis, having flirted with some of their musical sensibilities earlier in their career, have finally become Status Quo. A good pub band with a few old choruses that everyone sings along to come closing time, but little to nothing in the way of musical creativity anymore. They made two classic albums that they'll still be playing live into their 60s, but are in danger of becoming a bit of a parody of what they once were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

should we discount hey jude because it had a lot na na na nana na's at the end?

Hey Jude is one of the most hated songs around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Definitely Maybe is an all time classic. Few debuts capture a young band with all their energy and raw self-assuredness like it does. Did help that they had the tunes, mind. Morning Glory has two or three great songs and a lot of filler. I remember the guy who reviewed it for Melody Maker at the time got sacked because he said it sounded like the comedown after a party and gave it 7/10. Whatever people think of these albums, few would champion their successors. Oasis became formulaic and dull, the rot set in a long time ago. Personally, I don't think Noel had the imagination or the nerve to really test himself. Didn't help that he was the only songwriter either. If ever a band needed another influence, another songwriter or a really strong producer, it was Oasis from 95 on. Clearly Noel came up with the tunes and the others jobbed on and off doing their bits. They did define that period though but they inspired a lot of truly awful imitators. Their legacy was a lot of bad, unimaginative stuff coming out of the UK in mid-late 90's.

Blur on the other hand have, like all great bands, constantly challenged themselves and their audience. With one glaring exception - The Great Escape is pretty awful, bar two or three standouts. They made up for it by never putting out a bad album again. They were embarrassed by the whole singles war thing and moved on, daring to redefine themselves at a commercial height (a risk all too few bands take). Even 12 years on the Blur album sounds fresh and full of ideas, a talented band stretching themselves and trying out new ideas. And some great singles too. Blur and 13 are masterpieces and Radiohead aside, the high point of English indie bands of the time. To come up with an album like Think Tank after Graham left/got sacked was astonishing. Damon and Graham continued to make mostly excellent music afterwards, The Good, The Bad & The Queen is easily one of this decades best albums for my money. It's simply wonderful to see them back and lets hope some new music comes of this.

So, to end the rant, their trajectories are so wildly different that to compare their careers because of their (brief) intersection at the height of Britpop is ludicrous. Both will be remembered, both had an impact but artistically and creatively Blur win, hands down, no contest.

Oh, and as for Beetlebum sounding like Pixies, if they were ripping anyone off (and they were), then it was Beatles Abbey Road period surely?

definitely a pixies connection with Beetlebum. from the Bossanova era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

definitely a pixies connection with Beetlebum. from the Bossanova era.

Can't see that myself. The chorus and Grahams solo at the end are very like some George Harrison stuff, e.g. Sun King and especially the end of You Never Give Me Your Money

Can't see that myself. The chorus and Grahams solo at the end are very like some George Harrison stuff, e.g. Sun King and especially the end of You Never Give Me Your Money
    was thinking about the talking that you hear at the end which reminded me of "the happening" on Bossanova. and the guitar solo very like solo in "No 13 baby" on Doolittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

With one glaring exception - The Great Escape is pretty awful, bar two or three standouts. They made up for it by never putting out a bad album again.

Totally disagree, I think it's mostly pretty good bar two or three duds. The albums after that are only hit and miss.

And I don't hear the Pixies at all in Beetlebum...

Totally disagree, I think it's mostly pretty good bar two or three duds. The albums after that are only hit and miss.

And I don't hear the Pixies at all in Beetlebum...
    listen to the ending bars in "Number 13 baby" in Pixies album Doolittle. not saying their identically but there similarities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

Blur win hands down. I might book Oasis for my wedding though I reckon they would make a good covers band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Think Tank is one of the most under-rated albums for years. I love it but don't remember the reviews at the time being too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

all oasis albums are the same

blur redefined their music album by album (with the exception of The Great Escape :P)
    rubbish redefined by different rubbish.....

definitely maybe, morning glory and even the masterplan are better than anything blur have done.

the fact that oasis could have done knebworth 15 nights in a row such was the demand says enough, what did blur do??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

aDeener wrote: »
    rubbish redefined by different rubbish.....

definitely maybe, morning glory and even the masterplan are better than anything blur have done.

the fact that oasis could have done knebworth 15 nights in a row such was the demand says enough, what did blur do??

Im not even going to dignify that with a proper answer, i may be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It might just be my youthful ignorance showing through, but I prefer Gorillaz to Blur's stuff, and detest Oasis entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

First thing i thought of when I saw this thread, what songs get sung when your drunk (wonderwall) and how many guitarists wanted to be guitarists from Oasis' first two albums. yeah, downhill since then, but doesnt take away from the two classics. Also, Acquiesce, Masterplan, Talk Tonight, and Half the World Away are all well known B-sides, blur dont have that.

I have a lot of respect for blur, they have some amazing songs, but simply didnt have the affect Oasis had. they never "marketed" themselves the way Liam Gallagher did, and didnt play the massive events, even if they did play similiar sized venues.

Advertisement