Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis beat Blur in the britpop war?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

Link to story
    Back in the day I was Oasis all the way, so much so that I believed you couldn't like both bands at the same time - narrow minded youth that I was. But Oasis have been boring and irrelevant for too long and Blur's comeback and the work Damon Albarn has done in between has been more progressive and interesting than anything Oasis have done since they started down the slippery slop to tedium.

Ultimately regardless of what the stats may say I think Oasis won many battles originally but Blur & Co have come up trumps in the originality and musical side of things and in my mind have won the war.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Blue won that battle hands down. All Rise is the blueprint to which all jangly guitar Britpop ands should aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

All rise is a classic!! Definitely pisses all over Morning Glory!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

marching-blue-band.jpg

Duncans my favourite, he's ROIDE!!!!!

As for the original poster- Oasis may be un original but they made 2 all time classic albums and umpteen classic singles that will still be listened to in 25 years time.

Oasis, in years to come, will be remembered, Blur won't.

Oasis won the battler AND war

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Spelling mistake of the week in the thread title.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

i sat down last weekend and listened to parklife from start to finish, never really realised how great an album it is, such a great mixture of styles on it. And havin been in the pit for their glastonbury gig the other week i can safely say it was one of the best gigs i've been to, just thinking back to tender gives shivers up my spine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Simon is so hot

Anyway, Oasis won the chart war, the popularity war, the ego war......all that good stuff.

But at the end of the day, Blur (and Blue) made much better music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

A very unfortunate typo but highly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Anyway, Oasis won the chart war, the popularity war, the ego war......all that good stuff.

But at the end of the day, Blur (and Blue) made much better music.

They did in their ****. Oasis made two flawless albums that captured the decade better than everyone else and arguably the strongest B-side collection ever and then faded. Blur were consistently good but never reached Oasis' peak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Oasis beat black and blue in the britpop war - would be a better thread starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Oooops:P

I'd ask the Mods to fix it but... it's a good funny mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Oooops:P

I'd ask the Mods to fix it but... it's a good funny mistake.

Ah yeah, nice and light hearted! These posts will be meaningless when the thread title changes.

Back to what you meant to say. I always preferred Oasis at the time but as the years have gone on and Blur have evolved/broke up/got back together, I am preferring them and what their members have done since Blur.

Still hard to bear Oasis at the time, some brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

No contest IMHO. Oasis made two very good albums but I wouldn't call either of them classics in a musical sense, they were just good pop records. The accomplishments of Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife are on a different level altogether.

And the other Oasis albums were much worse than the other Blur albums...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

all oasis albums are the same

blur redefined their music album by album (with the exception of The Great Escape :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

everyone knows that pulp were far superior to both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

all oasis albums are the same

How exactly are the first two the same.

All Blur albums are the same. They all go na na na na na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If I want to listen to The Beatles type music, I will stick with the Beatles instead of a band without an original idea in their large eyebrowed heads.

Blur at least attempted some kind of change of direction, rather than the Gallagher brothers plus a. n. other musicians rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sigh:rolleyes:

Its become cool to bash Oasis now. People have such short memories. Def Maybe and Whats the story are absolutely top quality albums, few bands even get that. Be Here Now and Standing on the shoulder are two very underrated albums imo, probably understandably so because the first two set such high standards.

I do believe Heathen Chemistry is an absolute quality album that is criminally underrated and it's their third best album.

Dont believe the truth is pretty crap and I was very disapointed with Dig out your soul but thats a strong catalogue imo. Oasis we're very important, they defined a generation really and made some classic music.

So they've gone downhill....what band doesnt? Blur made great music too but I dont think they had the impact Oasis had. I think its a good debate but it always descends into people coming on saying how sh1t Oasis are just to show how cool they are.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i never said they sucked. i said their albums sound samey. thats why the 1st two are the best ;) the rest were... meh.

blur excited me every time they released a new album, their music was a progession of their style and i love them for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Couple of things I would say about the "britpop war" is that it was a device of the British tabloid media to sell more papers and britpop itself an easy way to lump hugely diverse bands together in one big group.

The singles that battled it out for that honour weren't either bands finest hour.

Roll with it, Liam at his whiney worst. Country House was decidedly meh.

i never said they sucked. i said their albums sound samey. thats why the 1st two are the best ;) the rest were... meh.

blur excited me every time they released a new album, their music was a progession of their style and i love them for that.

I see that criticism levelled at them a lot and I think its a bit unfair.

They definitely progressed, they have their own sound yes, when you hear Oasis you know its oasis but they have tried new things (admittedly with varying degrees of success).

I dont know how people could say dig out your soul sounds like Def Maybe or Whats the story:confused:

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Couple of things I would say about the "britpop war" is that it was a device of the British tabloid media to sell more papers and britpop itself an easy way to lump hugely diverse bands together in one big group.

The singles that battled it out for that honour weren't either bands finest hour.

Roll with it, Liam at his whiney worst. Country House was decidedly meh.

Yeah that is definitely true. The whole thing was silly really and I imagine both Oasis and Blur knew it was a load of B0llox (and an opportunity to sell more records).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I see that criticism levelled at them a lot and I think its a bit unfair.

They definitely progressed, they have their own sound yes, when you hear Oasis you know its oasis but they have tried new things (admittedly with varying degrees of success).

I dont know how people could say dig out your soul sounds like Def Maybe or Whats the story:confused:
    although the race for number one between Blur and Oasis i think was about the most exciting thing to happen in popular music in years, I think both have peaked at this stage. And always felt Roll with it was probably the weakest of singles released from the whats the story morning glory. Wonder Wall was far better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Oasis have two great albums, a handful of great B sides. They have however only written a couple of great songs in 10 years. not good enough,

Blur never got old, they never got dull. They constantly evolved and incorporated different styles. They also had fantastic lyrics.
    They are hands down the better band imo, though i love oasis

Bubs101 wrote: »

You're thinking of Kaiser Chiefs :pac:

You're thinking of Kaiser Chiefs :pac:
    Weren't blue a boyband from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How exactly are the first two the same.

No they dont. For Tomorrow goes la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.

Completely different syllable. Oasis could learn from that kind of diversity :P

ceegee wrote: »
    No they dont. For Tomorrow goes la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.

Completely different syllable. Oasis could learn from that kind of diversity :P
    lets match the two in terms of single. top five oasis songs. Live Forever, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Wonder Wall, Dont Look back in anger, some might say. For blur theres no other way, Country house, Beetlebum, Pop Song number two, come on come on. who wins.

Oasis have two great albums, a handful of great B sides.

Forgot to mention the b-sides.

I mean its testament to how good they were at that time that they could make a compilation of B-sides that was better than most bands A material....on the basis of Def Maybe, Whats the story and The Masterplan alone they were quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Manic Street Preachers take a massive sh*t on both bands

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention the b-sides.

I mean its testament to how good they were at that time that they could make a compilation of B-sides that was better than most bands A material....on the basis of Def Maybe, Whats the story and The Masterplan alone they were quality.
    Nah Oasis had one great album in definitely maybe, then did a complete u turn next album which for all its good songs never matched the sheer rawness of their opener. few good singles since.Blur if anything have improved.

Advertisement