Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Navan!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Jizzer wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Texaco Station that used to be on Brews Hill. It is a car park now.

It was owned by an elderly couple...Willy and Kay Farrell..

It was old skool...

I used to work there back in 1992...for a summer job..

I remember they had a sign up banning u-turns! Then it was sold on and there was a cafe at the side of it - we all went there for our lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

kelle wrote: »
    I remember they had a sign up banning u-turns! Then it was sold on and there was a cafe at the side of it - we all went there for our lunch!

haha..yeah..i used to put that no u turn sign out every morning..i worked there frm 1992 until 1997....

i had some great laughs there..

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

I no im dragging up a 2 year old thread

I remember when the shopping centre had an out door plaza
    I remember when the shopping centre had a proper carpark and it had a little petrol station
    I remember the palace as a cinema
    The Cinema on Brews Hill
    Mitching off school at the rock
    the car park outside dunnes was all potholed
    when Railway street was all potholed to fair wasnt that long ago
    when you could buy some decent at the market
    when navan hire was tiny
    banjo sherlocks
    buying fags in a full school uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I no im dragging up a 2 year old thread

I remember when the shopping centre had a proper carpark and it had a little petrol station
    I remember the palace as a cinema
    The Cinema on Brews Hill
    Mitching off school at the rock
    the car park outside dunnes was all potholed
    when Railway street was all potholed to fair wasnt that long ago
    when you could buy some decent at the market
    when navan hire was tiny
    banjo sherlocks
    buying fags in a full school uniform

haha buying fags in a full school uniform! remember that too well. Was just talking about the old shopping centre plaza a few days ago. Remember where the trollies were outside the door, there would be loads of teenagers hanging there and a big 'NO LOITERING' sign beside them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

In 1995, we had one of those long hot summers and Dunnes Stores workers were on strike for a few weeks. They had to turn up for work, but they spent the day sunning themselves on the steps to the Plaza!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Just remembered Colm O'Rourke's sport shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

anybody remember the maze in the shopping centre, used to go in that every saturday morning when i was a child, ah they were happy days :D and energy radio with mike thompson, he seemed to be the only DJ they had, always advertised the valley cafe from what i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

anybody remember the maze in the shopping centre, used to go in that every saturday morning when i was a child, ah they were happy days :D and energy radio with mike thompson, he seemed to be the only DJ they had, always advertised the valley cafe from what i remember

Energy stickers all over town, there's still a few to be seen (lamppost by O'Flats).

Army Valu down the lane used to be deadly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sorchap

Great thread, but at the risk of sounding really old, does anyone remember before the shopping centre was built. There used to be a protestant school there with really high railings around it and big gates onto watergate st. I remember learning how to swim down the mollies, God knows what was in the water but it didn't stop us. The Valley cafe and Mallocas were two different cafes. Mallocas was on the square facing up the main st.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

Wow! all the memories!! Here's a few of my own! (apologies if i'm repeating any).

Fizzle sticks from Oliver Roberts shop on Flowerhill.

Meringue buns from Annaville bakery after swimming every week.

I remember as a primary school student in Mercy convent going to Rogers Shop, which was on whats now called Circular Road (at the back of the library). There was also a water spa there, you used to have to go down steps to get to it! was probably blocked up when the Solstice was built.

Hitchhikers at the Round O, a rare sight these days!!

Being let into the 'nuns garden' at mercy convent!

Going to mass in St. Olivers school while the church was being built (really showing my age now!!)

• Advertisement

I remember when I was 13 buying fireworks off a blind lad only in navan would that happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

washiskin wrote: »
    Walsh & Kealys....omg.....is it that long ago? Used to be known as "The Clinic" for some reason. It was where that bookies is now - Bruce Betting - I think. Lynch's sweet shop is where Hollies is.

I remember that there was a Heatons there where the AIB is now.

It was called the Cliinic because that's where you'd go for the cure the next morning.

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Another thing I thought of when I was talking to a lad recently, Do you remember the radio station was based in Navan shopping centre, what was the name of it??? You could hand in requests and get them played. Mad...

radio carousel

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Yeah Radio Carousel, great stuff...was great to stick on a request and hang around to hear them talking and playing it, I think you used to be able to see them through the glass.

Do yis remember the petrol station that used to be at the back of the shopping centre on Abbey Rd too...:)

Yep,OLA, run by Joe Smith, a real gent, he used to own maxol on flowerhill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sam tryler

i dont think anyone has mentioned penny lane and the guitars that hung from the ceiling, remeber going there a lot in the late 90s and a band i think called blue monday playing there almost every saturday night. also what about trying to get a taxi home from the ardboyne, it was like inpossible.. is their still a nightclub there?

It was refurbished but it's just a pub now, the name escapes me at the moment, nice spot but none of the atmosphere of the old Penny Lane.

bladespin wrote: »
    It was refurbished but it's just a pub now, the name escapes me at the moment, nice spot but none of the atmosphere of the old Penny Lane.

Marketbar?

What did it used to be called, can't for the life of me remember. Its where all the cool greasers used to go! Ah name is on the tip of my tongue..........

lukesmom wrote: »
    Marketbar?

What did it used to be called, can't for the life of me remember. Its where all the cool greasers used to go! Ah name is on the tip of my tongue..........

That's it, Ceasars was the name of the 'club' great spot, great music :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wo

Someone was asking about the Bari family. I used to work for them many moons ago. As fas as I know the father started off with a stall in the market on the fair green every fri, then he bought the place on Brews Hill. They then opened Japan in the shopping centre next to Hartens and near Colm O'Rourkes shop. They opened lots of shops around the country and and kept the one on Brews Hill to sell old stock. I still see some of their shops open but not sure if they still own them. They moved from Navan over 15 years ago.

wo wrote: »
    Someone was asking about the Bari family. I used to work for them many moons ago. As fas as I know the father started off with a stall in the market on the fair green every fri, then he bought the place on Brews Hill. They then opened Japan in the shopping centre next to Hartens and near Colm O'Rourkes shop. They opened lots of shops around the country and and kept the one on Brews Hill to sell old stock. I still see some of their shops open but not sure if they still own them. They moved from Navan over 15 years ago.

Was only talking to Ashar yesterday, he's an old school friend, they still have the shops going, I worked in the Brews hill shop for a while long, long ago lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

lukesmom wrote: »
    :)

We probably know each other very well if you remember doing all that too!
    Reckon I know you guys too then. I'm a blackcastle ex-pat aswell! :D

I reckon I had my first illegal pints in the Eques bar that used to be outside the shopping centre, where gamestop is now, inside the shopping centre.

Remember when after school there would be a massive pile of bags outside the doors to the shopping centre at the top of the stairs?

Walking round Quinnsworth on a Thursday after school to get the free samples!

Wow... epic thread of memories! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sinnfeinlane

Does anyone remember the name of the household shop over the bridge where river mill apartments are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

It was Lynch's Carpet Den at one stage. I shopped in the Household goods store, but can't remember it's name.

Let's go hardcore here.

I can remember my uncle working there when it was the 'Bard' Welsh's (probably Walsh, but that's how we pronounced it. I work in Michael Dunne's on Market Square. Opposite was Connolly hardware (AIB bank, now) Finnegan's bookies, Donohues electical, Harry Barry - Turf accountants (flashing neon sign, very snazzy). The Central Hotel, aka Crinions (building still there), Sheerin's electric underneath. Wood's drapery. Preston school where exotic PROTESTANT girls wearing ...... UNIFORMS could occasionally be sighted walking, always in pairs of a brief moment of on Trimgate street. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Where the shopping centre is now use to a field with milk cows, own by Tom Kennedy, hence Kennedy Rd.
    Much much more ...... it's just, at this age .... I forget more than I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Does anyone remember the name of the household shop over the bridge where river mill apartments are now?

Bailieborough co op :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Of course, Martin . good one.

It was Lynch's Carpet Den at one stage. I shopped in the Household goods store, but can't remember it's name.

Let's go hardcore here.

I can remember my uncle working there when it was the 'Bard' Welsh's (probably Walsh, but that's how we pronounced it. I work in Michael Dunne's on Market Square. Opposite was Connolly hardware (AIB bank, now) Finnegan's bookies, Donohues electical, Harry Barry - Turf accountants (flashing neon sign, very snazzy). The Central Hotel, aka Crinions (building still there), Sheerin's electric underneath. Wood's drapery. Preston school where exotic PROTESTANT girls wearing ...... UNIFORMS could occasionally be sighted walking, always in pairs of a brief moment of on Trimgate street. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Where the shopping centre is now use to a field with milk cows, own by Tom Kennedy, hence Kennedy Rd.
    Much much more ...... it's just, at this age .... I forget more than I can remember.

jesus that must be going back some amount of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markskoda

I lived in Navan for a few years with my Irish wife and young family in the late 80's/early 90's.
    I remember Lou the Belgian banjo player who had a daily pitch outside the newsagents at the shopping centre.
    Also Russell Vickers an English estate agent. A Londoner I think, and a bit of a character.

markskoda wrote: »
    I lived in Navan for a few years with my Irish wife and young family in the late 80's/early 90's.
    I remember Lou the Belgian banjo player who had a daily pitch outside the newsagents at the shopping centre. He's still around believe it or not, though not as much but I did see him a few months ago with his banjo

Also Russell Vickers an English estate agent. A Londoner I think, and a bit of a character.
    doesn't ring a bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Knew a mad c*nt from Navan, Paschal Wall. Only meet him once, but left an impression as a mad thing.

• Advertisement

hahaha lunatic. google his name there and look what comes up! My brother knew him. Crazy mo fo!:D

Advertisement