Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Navan!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm 32, keep reading this thread and making :D faces as I remember all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hi well I will be 30 in a November! And the political figure who flipped our burgers in Burger Express was Damien English. Loved that place, always preferred it to B.C Diner!:) And Colm O'Rourke lives down the road from me. That is all I will say about him:rolleyes:. I have a first cousin who played for Meath back then in the glory days Jinksy.:D Im giving myself away now but sure I've got nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

bit of a pattern here i`m 31,but didn know who was serving in Burger Express ye all must have been better off than me:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I love this town though it has changed a bit. There are so many new faces. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks there's a crowd that hang around the front entrance of the shopping centre (kennedy rd side) and they off their heads. Gear heads. 2 men and 2 women. Boots is full of them collecting their methadone, most of them pushing buggies. You'll have that everywhere though.

And if anyone of you has had the displeasure of having to queue in the community welfare office on Canon Row, you will know what a bloody joke it is. A hundred people queuing out the door to try get in to speak to an officer. And there is not one toilet in the place. What makes it worse is that everybody that drives down Canon Row can see you queuing up! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Lads if it makes yous feel a little younger, I'm only 21 and I remember a lot of the BC Diner, Burger Express, Colm O'Rourke Sports, the outside of the old Shopping Centre etc :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Where was Burger express?

kelle wrote: »
    Where was Burger express?

down were abrakebabra is now

did anyone ever go up to "The Mansion"?i used to go mitching up there even tho i went to school in Drogheada!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Even Flow

Burger Express. ahhhhhh shared a naggin of paddy power in the toilets in there one night in 1995 before the noname... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

did anyone ever go up to "The Mansion"?i used to go mitching up there even tho i went to school in Drogheada!

Oh that sounds familiar, can't put my finger on it though where it is/ was??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

it sounds familiar to me too. its not down across the ramparts no?

ya used have to walk up the lane by the snooker embassy along the river, there could be houses built up there now?last i heard there was some sort of a cult camped up around it

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

That was Blackcastle Mansion. I was in it many years ago before it was destroyed in a fire. The shell is still standing I think, and can be seen across the river from the ramparts. They had a farm shop there at one time, though I'm not sure it was that well known.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm from outside Athboy but was dragged into Navan every Friday evening for the weekly shop.

The maze is such an institution, was devastated when they got rid of it. They used to put the xmas tree on top of it. Remember when the centre stopped at Hartens, and Penneys was atrocious! Remember getting a chip bundy from the cafe beside it then going for a gawk in Prepys. Then when I got older, I used to go for a gawk at the lads who used to work in the Tesco Hardware shop that opened in the first of the new extentions, think it was called Tesco Four Seasons or the likes. Was especially great if there was Junior Bucks on the same night, lots of pervin' to be done :D
    The shop across from Pairc Tailteann was renamed after the final in '99. The joys of reading the Meath Chronicle while chewing on some Spicers bread.. god, I HATED Spicers!

hmboards wrote: »
    That was Blackcastle Mansion. I was in it many years ago before it was destroyed in a fire. The shell is still standing I think, and can be seen across the river from the ramparts. They had a farm shop there at one time, though I'm not sure it was that well known.

thats the one,is there any truth in that the owner just closed the door behind him an left everything in the house?then of course the inevitable happened an someone put a match to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Even Flow wrote: »
    Burger Express. ahhhhhh shared a naggin of paddy power in the toilets in there one night in 1995 before the noname... :D

The no-name, Brilliant, what a great little spot for messin.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi well I will be 30 in a November! And the political figure who flipped our burgers in Burger Express was Damien English. Loved that place, always preferred it to B.C Diner!:) And Colm O'Rourke lives down the road from me. That is all I will say about him:rolleyes:. I have a first cousin who played for Meath back then in the glory days Jinksy.:D Im giving myself away now but sure I've got nothing to hide

Was that when Colm O'Rourke lived in Ferndale was or now? Well done on the Damien English, Gas man still, (wouldn't vote for him tho...Ha)

Well I lived down the road from the Beggy's and played conkers with Stephen at the house, he has Beggy's pub now...That's my claim to fame. sad eh...Burger Xpress was nicer than BC and more girls used to go into it, BC was a place to head to if you wanted trouble after a night out, A bit like Supermacs now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

lukesmom wrote: »

Jinksy was one of the soundest Meath Players ever. My little brother worshipped him; we were having tea and a hang sangwige in Bernard Reilly's one Saturday after the shopping and in walks Jinksy for a quiet game of pool. Needless to say little bro almost choked on his crust - 5 minutes later he snaked off to talk to Jinksy. I nearly died and went to retrieve him but I was told it was ok and he spent ages chatting and messing with him. Total gent.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'm 32, keep reading this thread and making :D faces as I remember all this stuff.

Another thing I thought of when I was talking to a lad recently, Do you remember the radio station was based in Navan shopping centre, what was the name of it??? You could hand in requests and get them played. Mad...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Another thing I thought of when I was talking to a lad recently, Do you remember the radio station was based in Navan shopping centre, what was the name of it??? You could hand in requests and get them played. Mad...

Radio Carousel, wasn't it?

EDIT: it was! http://193.63.162.100/ireland_navan_radio_carousel_1984.html

• Advertisement

That link brings back memories! I was always sending in requests, asking for songs I liked to be played. In those days if you wanted to record a song, you had to listen out all day for it before you could tape it. but requesting it on Carousel meant it would be played in the next few minutes and you could set your tape to record it!
    In this day of YouTube and iPods, the younger generation would find this difficult to understand!

kelle wrote: »
    That link brings back memories! I was always sending in requests, asking for songs I liked to be played. In those days if you wanted to record a song, you had to listen out all day for it before you could tape it. but requesting it on Carousel meant it would be played in the next few minutes and you could set your tape to record it!
    In this day of YouTube and iPods, the younger generation would find this difficult to understand!

Yeah Radio Carousel, great stuff...was great to stick on a request and hang around to hear them talking and playing it, I think you used to be able to see them through the glass.

Do yis remember the petrol station that used to be at the back of the shopping centre on Abbey Rd too...:)

just spotted this, oops, brilliant, I love the old cars and the telephone box outside the studio, I am sure those tiles are still down. Must get some of those, great hard wearing tiles, Ha...

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Yeah Radio Carousel, great stuff...was great to stick on a request and hang around to hear them talking and playing it, I think you used to be able to see them through the glass.

Do yis remember the petrol station that used to be at the back of the shopping centre on Abbey Rd too...:)

God, looking at the pictures of Kieran Murray, he was called Cuddly Kieran - his tache makes him look gross! He came across as really friendly over the air, but on the phone he was quite abrupt! I guess he was sick of the same old requests saying Hello to Michelle From Anne and here's a song dedicated to Michelle (really it was for Anne who wanted to tape the song!)

I remember that petrol station, I got all my petrol there once upon a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I just moved to Navan, been taking snaps around the place, stumbled on this while looking up 'Blackcastle house' for some reason ... Any other cool places to photograph?

I just moved to Navan, been taking snaps around the place, stumbled on this while looking up 'Blackcastle house' for some reason ... Any other cool places to photograph?

any pics of Blackcastle Mansion??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Oh right, its a mansion, I was led to believe it was 'Blackcastle house'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Head down to the ramparts, I used to go down there to take some pictures, got some beautiful ones when it snowed a good few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Oh right, its a mansion, I was led to believe it was 'Blackcastle house'?

It's the same place. Not sure why it was called a mansion, but that name was used commonly. There are some memoirs online which were written at the house if anyone is interested. http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/etext05/7edg210.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

Does anyone remember the Texaco Station that used to be on Brews Hill. It is a car park now.

It was owned by an elderly couple...Willy and Kay Farrell..

It was old skool...

I used to work there back in 1992...for a summer job..

Advertisement