Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Flip side? I hear they turn away teenage groups, must be catering for more upmarket customers! Anyway €8 for 2 bits of bread with a burger in it, I think not! I’ll stick with the Four Lanterns, tasty and good value!

I think when you try it you will appreciate the difference between a gourmet burger and a fast food/4 lights/McDs burger. I think groups of teenagers who want to hang out while sharing one bag of chips is not the clientele they are aiming for. Seems 4 lights is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Flip side? I hear they turn away teenage groups, must be catering for more upmarket customers! Anyway €8 for 2 bits of bread with a burger in it, I think not! I’ll stick with the Four Lanterns, tasty and good value!

I'm pretty sure they'll turn away teenagers who want to sit out of the cold for 2 hours with one bag of chips between them, and leave a mess to be cleaned up afterwards. Rightly so too, and they wouldn't be the only place turning away groups like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wont knock the four lights, they are good and what they do, but its fast food, in a fast environment, and I would rather leave my flimsy 2oz burger (if that) when I am in a hurry, drunk, or both. Curry Chips are worth the visit though.

Am looking forward to trying FlipSide very soon. Wont begudge paying €8 for a loaded Qtr Pounder now and again, in a relaxed atmosphere.

sligoblue wrote: »
    Quick change of mind there.

You combined a quote from two different posters....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus..

.. people comparing a thick-and-juicy freshly made burger with prime beef vs a frozen beef patty made with questionable amounts of beef and god knows what else.

You're comparing fillet steak and dog turds here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dont care waht anyone says - take me back to the 90's / early 2000's when we had 3 good fast food places in town - McDonalds on OCS and Burger King opposite them and 4 lights all in walking distance from each other and all seemed to be getting on fine with enough business / customers between them all sure their burgers maybe not as tasty as this new place but whether it be gourmet, MCd's , burger king, 4 lights its still a bleeding burger at the end of the day and expensive ones by the sound of it - good on ya if you can afford it but for them to survive it might need more than just footfall of the 'I will have one once in a while as a treat' brigade - they might not last long if they come that especially in sligo

This town has an unhealthy fascination with 4 Lights. I wouldn't even have their soggy greasy excuse for burgers after a few pints..

.. but each to their own!

Basq wrote: »
    This town has an unhealthy fascination with 4 Lights. I wouldn't even have their soggy greasy excuse for burgers after a few pints..

.. but each to their own!

people who would go to a Fast Food establishment wouldn't expect anything more from it and quite rightly so , especially as value for money is concerned it is (most of the time) a very cheap meal/refreshment and served quickly.

I most probably will pop into flipside one day soon once I have saved up my pennies - but i couldnt see myself being a person that every time I visit the town centre saying ' i feel hungry I must go to flipside' o every visit

... however if there was a MCD's or BK back in OCS or round that area it is very quite possible that every time I find myself in town centre that when i flag and need refreshments and a bite to eat I would go in one of those.

dont care waht anyone says - take me back to the 90's / early 2000's when we had 3 good fast food places in town - McDonalds on OCS and Burger King opposite them and 4 lights all in walking distance from each other and all seemed to be getting on fine with enough business / customers between them all sure their burgers maybe not as tasty as this new place but whether it be gourmet, MCd's , burger king, 4 lights its still a bleeding burger at the end of the day and expensive ones by the sound of it - good on ya if you can afford it but for them to survive it might need more than just footfall of the 'I will have one once in a while as a treat' brigade - they might not last long if they come that especially in sligo

Not sure they would have closed 2 of the 3 you mention if they were getting on fine and had enough business. I think burgers you buy yourself and cook on a BBQ taste better than the thin tasteless ones you get in fast food take aways, but thick slab burgers with all the trimmings are nicer again. That is what you pay €8 for. I think for what you are getting, it's good value, I often paid more in McDs for more food, which was less satisfying and less filling.

people who would go to a Fast Food establishment wouldn't expect anything more from it and quite rightly so , especially as value for money is concerned it is (most of the time) a very cheap meal/refreshment and served quickly.
    Nothing wrong with fast food..

.. but far better fast food places that 4 Lights.

Roberto's, for example, while slower than most Fast Food Places know how to do a above par fast food burger and homemade chips.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with fast food..

.. but far better fast food places that 4 Lights.

Roberto's, for example, while slower than most Fast Food Places know how to do a above par fast food burger and homemade chips.

ya - roberto's tasty alright

It's been done to death here Andy, we've discussed it before, but if what you believe was true they would still be in the centre of town.

rizzodun wrote: »
    It's been done to death here Andy, we've discussed it before, but if what you believe was true they would still be in the centre of town.

naw, I believe MCD's shut down their on in OCS because they had the one up at the retail park and wanted to concentrate on that and not have 2 restaurants running at once in Sligo - i dunno why BK went, but they didnt seem to be as busy round the clock as McD's

werent there rumours a couple of years ago that a BK or similar was gonna open on Castle street or thereabouts? - never amounted to anything though which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did you all forget the thread you were posting in? C'mon people, lets get back to the topic again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Asian* Food place opening soon in the old Abra spot. Seen signage up this morning. Although unusual spot considering Julan Julan is just a few doors up.

Pretty sure it said Asian, as it also had Peri Peri in a smaller font, which could suggest Portugise.

Jazet, I think its called. Asian Food Court also on the hording.

Also noticed its actully is place of Abra/Top Taste.

Store on corner of Tesco car park being gutted again, no idea what's going in there. I heard the Eddie Rockets type restaurant where xtravision used to be is opening next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Store on corner of Tesco car park being gutted again, no idea what's going in there. I heard the Eddie Rockets type restaurant where xtravision used to be is opening next week.

Work going on in the old XtraVision this evening alright.

that was so good when it was a newsagents for years - really handy there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just in case a couple of ye are just in from the pub and beginning to think that you had one too many, well just to let you know that I have moved off topic posts to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I had heard it was an actual Eddie Rockets, it's not?

• Advertisement

I had heard it was an actual Eddie Rockets, it's not?
    Nope, "Eddie Rockets style" restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Nope, "Eddie Rockets style" restaurant
    So a chipper!

So a chipper!
    Diner more like Mollys I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I heard the Eddie Rockets style restaurant was actually Eddie Rockets, no?

I heard the Eddie Rockets style restaurant was actually Eddie Rockets, no?

Same owners but different name, I don't think they can serve alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭DenMan

The takeaway beside McHugh's pub is closed and there's a new Asian restaurant going in there now today. I was only talking to the guys in there a month ago or so and they said everything was going well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Mmmmm wonder if it's going to be a new Centra.. would be the perfect place for one..maybe yer man from Maugheraboy....

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Mmmmm wonder if it's going to be a new Centra.. would be the perfect place for one..maybe yer man from Maugheraboy....

May be a bit small for a Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

I was driving past yesterday and think this place is open. Anyone heard any reports about it?
    Same owners but different name, I don't think they can serve alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

There’s work going on in a unit in the Pearse Plaza complex on the MCR side. It’s just on the corner beside St Brigid’s at the traffic lights. I wonder what’s it going to be?

Advertisement