Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things you like about Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Like the Meath accent and the Louth accent and the Clondalkin accent etc and the east clare accent. So many of them. can anyone tell from what part of the country is by their accent.
    Fair enough but why did you quote my post about the Gaelic players association?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fair enough but why did you quote my post about the Gaelic players association?
    sorry about that. wonder how that topic slipped in. the domino effect i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No I'm not, some of these "beautiful" old(yet modern) cities have crap for roads. Take what you want for granted but when you are on a 130Kph motorway thats as twice as bumpy as the tarmac in howth then you'll understand.

Plus we have concrete on the edge of the roads where the gutters are, anywhere in strassbourg it was cobblestone. Honestly.. I hate old cities, the roads are never redone, just repainted by the looks of it..

Could just of been the place I was in but damn.. suicidal pedestrians/cyclists and morons in cars are the main memories of my only trip to france to date..
    I'm usually good at geography, but I thought Strassbourg was in Germany.
    I had to google it and then it all made sense. It's the capital of alsace.
    I hope thats sarcasm, the countryside has been ruined by one off housing, even down in the Burren, holiday homes are pimpling the country side, sticking out like sore thumbs.

Whoever is responsible for planning in this country has a lot to answer for....:mad:

/end rant
    Corrupt politicians. Even those at local level.
    Brown envelope all around.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I love the fact that in the space of an hour or two, I can travel from a city with all the shops, services and ammenities I need to the lovely green countryside, or even better, the beaches on the north shore of Donegal. My favourite place in the world.
    I can do that in 10 minutes (not the donegal part).
    It's great.

mobius42 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why councils are unable to repair roads properly in this country. They fill in potholes and then they reappear within weeks. Some road surfaces look like patchwork quilts.
    I remember waiting for a bus in Maynooth one day.
    The council were filling potholes.
    I watched them fill one and then a truck drove over it about 30 seconds later and it was a pothole again.
    All I could do was laugh.

I love the weather. I can't handle temperatures above 20c, but we rarely get that, so that's fine with me.
    I love that I can call someone I've just met a bollix and they won't get offended.

Terry wrote: »
    I'm usually good at geography, but I thought Strassbourg was in Germany.
    I had to google it and then it all made sense. It's the capital of alsace.

Corrupt politicians. Even those at local level.
    Brown envelope all around.

I can do that in 10 minutes (not the donegal part).
    It's great.

I remember waiting for a bus in Maynooth one day.
    The council were filling potholes.
    I watched them fill one and then a truck drove over it about 30 seconds later and it was a pothole again.
    All I could do was laugh.

I love the weather. I can't handle temperatures above 20c, but we rarely get that, so that's fine with me.
    I love that I can call someone I've just met a bollix and they won't get offended.
    think the truck was smoothing the tar out. called a steamroller in dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

people wearin snickers in the dole queu.....
    gettin 'hello's' from randomers in the street......
    the socially accepted drinking age (as opposed to the legal one).....

• Advertisement

silasrat wrote: »
    people wearin snickers in the dole queu.....
    gettin 'hello's' from randomers in the street......
    the socially accepted drinking age (as opposed to the legal one).....
    Sally O Brien and they way she would look at you. Oh no that was somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

my least favourite thing, its too far north and westerly for this to be an advantage. if britain wasnt there it would be good but yeah, iceland and ireland didn't get that good of a deal back in the day.
    Iceland is amazing.they couldnt give a toss about mainland Europe up there.they are having a great time all to themselves.
    Only downside is that not many major bands tour up there.if that matters.
    easily top 3 countries ive visited and ive seen many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Getting the hell out of Dublin and out into the country with people actually consider themselves Irish first and foremost.

like the parents in dingle pushing for the closure of an all irish school?

pff culchies - :o

Alicano wrote: »
    Iceland is amazing.they couldnt give a toss about mainland Europe up there.they are having a great time all to themselves.
    Only downside is that not many major bands tour up there.if that matters.
    easily top 3 countries ive visited and ive seen many.
    whats the difference between iceland and ireland
    one letter and six months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

-Pubs
    -Rural Gardaí that let ya off with stuff as long as ya promise not to do t again
    -Hurling, Football
    -The fact that we're better than England in rugby
    -Tommy Tiernan
    -The Late Late Show
    -Being delighted with ourselves if we draw a soccer match or lose 1-0 to a good team
    -The old IRA
    -Rebel songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

- Rugby
    - GAA
    - Genuine Community Spirit
    - Women are the soundest in the world
    - The word "sound"
    - The word "lads", "boss"
    - Great sense of humour
    - Party culture (not drink culture...)
    - Beautiful countryside (great for cycling)
    - Beautiful landmarks
    - Irish bands
    - The fact when you go abroad people just love you because you're Irish (in my experience anyway)
    - The word "craic"

Yerra there's loads. TBH, if I could pick any country in Europe to live in ATM, I'd choose Ireland. Despite all my bitching about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey guys,

I have been living in South America for the last year and because I am happy here and things are so depressing at home I am going to stay for another year and maybe a second.
    However, what I miss most is sarcasm and the irish sense of humour. We are some of the funniest people out there I think. I like our good lively spirit and love of the craic.
    On personal note, there are so many little treats and food things that are impossible to get where I am and sometimes you just get a craving. I would love to have a decent packet of chocolate biscuits form time to time. Also as a cornflakes addict, I travel for two hours so that I can stock up on cornflakes for the week. On Sunday the supermarket didn't have the big packets so I walked up to the register with eight boxes of the smaller ones, four days later they are all gone. Now I am in bed with the shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Everything. Fukkit, sure its all good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hey guys,

I have been living in South America for the last year and because I am happy here and things are so depressing at home I am going to stay for another year and maybe a second.
    However, what I miss most is sarcasm and the irish sense of humour. We are some of the funniest people out there I think. I like our good lively spirit and love of the craic.
    On personal note, there are so many little treats and food things that are impossible to get where I am and sometimes you just get a craving. I would love to have a decent packet of chocolate biscuits form time to time. Also as a cornflakes addict, I travel for two hours so that I can stock up on cornflakes for the week. On Sunday the supermarket didn't have the big packets so I walked up to the register with eight boxes of the smaller ones, four days later they are all gone. Now I am in bed with the shakes.
    Chocolate biscuits? There's none in South America? :O
    God I dunno how you'd live without that, nevermind without bacon and cabbage or...or...or...

Stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hoorayforbacon

-Tayto
    -The way we talk about politicians and celebrities like we know them and they could be on the bus with us.
    -The way we do funerals-sitting around telling funny stories about the deceased. It's the best way.
    -Potatoes
    -Irish Mammys
    -The way we don't discuss feelings as much as others.
    -Humour
    -Fairly relaxed nature
    -Countryside
    -The relaxed attitude towards law & order especially in the countryside
    -Pubs
    -Lock ins
    -Fairly liberal press (compared to others)
    -Windy roads in the countryside-and bog roads to avoid the cops.

This has weirdly cheered me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

We actually have a unique sense of humour, you see it especially in Irish people who move to the UK (Think the likes of Graham Linehan) I don't know exactly what it comes down to, a nation of barstool brainboxes will ultimately learn a few good jokes over time I suppose.

The League of Ireland. Seriously. Why is it the Jodi Stand on its own can make more noise than Old Trafford :rolleyes: I love the fan-culture of Irish soccer, looking at your watch at 7.43, eating chips in the rain in Donegal.......

A Pint of Plain, a good one. Your only man.

Our history, especially the 1900-40 period (From the roots of the uprising to the Spanish Civil War, fascinating) I love how little Dublin has changed, that one can actually look at and in many cases go into the places we've read so much about from that period. We're good with our history in fairness.

The Madsers. You wouldn't get the dancing priest, Youth Defence, the guy who hates RTE so much he smashed his car into the kip, Ian Paisley, Brendan Kilkenny or Bertie Ahern in any other country, not a hope.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    We actually have a unique sense of humour, you see it especially in Irish people who move to the UK (Think the likes of Graham Linehan) I don't know exactly what it comes down to, a nation of barstool brainboxes will ultimately learn a few good jokes over time I suppose.

The League of Ireland. Seriously. Why is it the Jodi Stand on its own can make more noise than Old Trafford :rolleyes: I love the fan-culture of Irish soccer, looking at your watch at 7.43, eating chips in the rain in Donegal.......

A Pint of Plain, a good one. Your only man.

Our history, especially the 1900-40 period (From the roots of the uprising to the Spanish Civil War, fascinating) I love how little Dublin has changed, that one can actually look at and in many cases go into the places we've read so much about from that period. We're good with our history in fairness.

The Madsers. You wouldn't get the dancing priest, Youth Defence, the guy who hates RTE so much he smashed his car into the kip, Ian Paisley, Brendan Kilkenny or Bertie Ahern in any other country, not a hope.
    , DUblin has changed loads and Irish history was at its most intersting in the 19th century. 1900 to 1944 almost tore country apart, and lets not talk about the who smashed his car into RTE!

Advertisement