Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things you like about Ireland

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

i like the way i live beside a beach i go swiming every day even in winter cause i would hate to live in a landlocked country like luxembourg but i wish as an island it was further south, halfway between britain and france, so maby cork was in line with brittany

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I like the unspoiled countryside.

It's nice being there and being able to chill out, without being disturbed by modern things like cars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I like being able to freely drive my KE reg car whilst wearing my GAA jersey through every town in Ireland.

Oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

The roads and driving. I was in Strassbourg for a long weekend and I swear, never again am I setting foot near a road on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I like being able to freely drive my KE reg car whilst wearing my GAA jersey through every town in Northern Ireland.

Oh wait..

Different country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

wilson10 wrote: »
    Different country

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Getting the hell out of Dublin and out into the country with people actually consider themselves Irish first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like the rain, god I hope it rains today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I like the scumbags, the rain, the absorbent stealth taxes, the incompetent government, the high unemployment rate.

Ah, the green green grass of home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i like the way i live beside a beach i go swiming every day even in winter cause i would hate to live in a landlocked country like luxembourg but i wish as an island it was further south, halfway between britain and france, so maby cork was in line with brittany

luxembourg is a lovely country, picture postcard villages betweens the hills, just saying... :p

to answer your question

our history, our national sport(s), scenery on the west coast, our great pubs which every country in the world try to copy and fail :) our freedoms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I like.

I like....

**** there has to be something......

Nope. Nothing.

• Advertisement

I like.

I like....

**** there has to be something......

Nope. Nothing.

there is always north korea or somalia if this country isn't up to your standards :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Or Afghanistan. Apparently the Taliban are alright blokes, or so AH has informed me.
    The roads and driving. I was in Strassbourg for a long weekend and I swear, never again am I setting foot near a road on the continent.

Indeed. In most of the European countries I've visited the drivers aren't concerned with such trivial things as the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

KTRIC wrote: »
    the absorbent stealth taxes

Heh, Bounty indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The roads? You must be in the wrong thread.

No I'm not, some of these "beautiful" old(yet modern) cities have crap for roads. Take what you want for granted but when you are on a 130Kph motorway thats as twice as bumpy as the tarmac in howth then you'll understand.

Plus we have concrete on the edge of the roads where the gutters are, anywhere in strassbourg it was cobblestone. Honestly.. I hate old cities, the roads are never redone, just repainted by the looks of it..

Could just of been the place I was in but damn.. suicidal pedestrians/cyclists and morons in cars are the main memories of my only trip to france to date..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

mobius42 wrote: »
    Heh, Bounty indeed!

Damn spell checker :rolleyes:

Biffo is a bit of a sponge anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fair enough if you are comparing, but our roads in general are rubbish, as is the length of time it takes to make them somewhat decent and even then (m50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I like the unspoiled countryside.

It's nice being there and being able to chill out, without being disturbed by modern things like cars :p
    I hope thats sarcasm, the countryside has been ruined by one off housing, even down in the Burren, holiday homes are pimpling the country side, sticking out like sore thumbs.

Whoever is responsible for planning in this country has a lot to answer for....:mad:

/end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is always north korea or somalia if this country isn't up to your standards :rolleyes:

I've already left and now happily living in London. Not quite as much fun as I'm sure Somalia or North Korea would be but better than Ireland that's for sure.

Fair enough if you are comparing, but our roads in general are rubbish, as is the length of time it takes to make them somewhat decent and even then (m50)

I forget where I heard it but supoosedly Ireland is one of the best road builders in Europe. Something to do with the experience of buidling up so much of them in such a short space of time, something a lot of europe doesn't need to do. Probably a load of bull but something to think about none the less.

• Advertisement

I've already left and now happily living in London. Not quite as much fun as I'm sure Somalia or North Korea would be but better than Ireland that's for sure.

well then bye :pac: sure you can marvel at all those glorious commie blocks in east and south london now :D
    No I'm not, some of these "beautiful" old(yet modern) cities have crap for roads. Take what you want for granted but when you are on a 130Kph motorway thats as twice as bumpy as the tarmac in howth then you'll understand

i hear ya, ever tried driving in central rome or antwerp, damn cobblestones

I lived in London for a year, great place but not a patch on living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

I like the climate.Dubai and the likes can stick their 47 degrees where the sun dont..oh.:p
    The underdog mentality.
    Our well educated population.scumbags aside.
    The smoking ban.whole world knew us after that..and is following slowly.
    Culture and History.We're a very interesting and old place.
    Humour..when an Irish person is on fire with the gags and impressions..u cant match that anywhere else!
    That we're an Island.savage being away from mainland Europe and having so much coast.
    Come on Ireland!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I like me, I'm the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I forget where I heard it but supoosedly Ireland is one of the best road builders in Europe. Something to do with the experience of buidling up so much of them in such a short space of time, something a lot of europe doesn't need to do. Probably a load of bull but something to think about none the less.
    That surely has to be arse. Most roads are falling apart on a regular basis, their constantly sinking and coming apart because they're not done right the first time around. The roads around here are an absolute joke, within 2 months of being resurfaced their a mess again.

The roads in the UK are infinitely better than here. Any country I've been to had better roads than here even, Czech and Slovakia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I love the fact that in the space of an hour or two, I can travel from a city with all the shops, services and ammenities I need to the lovely green countryside, or even better, the beaches on the north shore of Donegal. My favourite place in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I cannot understand why councils are unable to repair roads properly in this country. They fill in potholes and then they reappear within weeks. Some road surfaces look like patchwork quilts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Not a hell of a lot.
    I've been travelling around for the last year and just got back here about a month ago..

It made me realise that compared to most other countries, Ireland is actually a joke.
    Nothing in this bloody country is working right at the moment.
    And even when it was working right, I think it was more blind luck than the leadership in place at the time.
    Nobody with any power in the irish government has the slightest idea of how to actually run a country.

Quite a few of the developing countries I was in were run beter than Ireland.

As soon as I pay off a few debts that I accumulated travelling I'm jumping ship of this country for good.
    She's sinking guys leave while you can...
    [/rant]

Oh,
    the sailing is good here in the summer..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

There's nothing I like here, but that's probably why I live in the city. There's absolutely nothing here.

I was thinking of moving out of the city and into the countryside. Just to get away from it all. I'm 17 so by the time I move out, I hope there'll be housing for sale :p

Advertisement